main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Senate Cultural faux pas for 100, Alex

Discussion in 'Community' started by Juliet316 , Aug 6, 2017.

1. Outsourced

Outsourced Force Ghost star 5

Apr 10, 2017
    I get what you're going for.

But by singling out a specific article and making a new thread for it, you set expectations that this in particular is worth extended scrutiny, presumably over the related incident Ender brought up, even though his article was posted later.

Essentially, its how you presented the information that's making the situation look bad.

2. CT-867-5309

CT-867-5309 Chosen One star 7

Jan 5, 2011
    Juliet made a thread about people making cultural blunders while abroad and listed a legitimate example. She doesn't have to list all the examples, that's what opening the thread is for. Pointing out when Americans do it falls under the scope of the thread as intended.

It's really just the derp thread re-branded and focused on people making cultural mistakes while abroad. The example Juliet posted in the OP is just one example, and should have been taken as just one example. I understood it from the beginning, but Ender has a behavioral tic that he had to satisfy.

Juliet, you did nothing wrong, Ender just has jerky knees and got triggered.

3. Harpua

Harpua Chosen One star 9

Mar 12, 2005
    Yeah, I see nothing wrong with the tread, aside from it being tagged senate (why?) and how it probably belongs in the derp thread. I don't think Juliet is being racist.

Juliet316 likes this.
  4. gezvader28

gezvader28 Chosen One star 6

Mar 22, 2003
    ok what is the derp thread ?

I mean I know the one you're refering to but when I had a look at it I didn't have a clue what it was about

5. Juliet316

Juliet316 39x Hangman Winner star 10 VIP - Game Winner

Apr 27, 2005
    Most of the time it's for posting the dumb **** politicians and other people say that is stupid beyond belief.

Master_Lok and gezvader28 like this.
  6. MrMojoRisin

MrMojoRisin Jedi Master star 4

Jun 20, 2005
  7. gezvader28

Mar 22, 2003
    I'm reluctant to criticise any other country when my own country-men the Brits tend to have a rather bad rep abroad , especially the youngsters who treat Europe as some sort of lager drinking tournament , then throw up in the streets while the girls flash their bits and frighten the animals .

and best not even mention our football fans .

8. DANNASUK

DANNASUK Force Ghost star 7

Nov 1, 2012
    The youth of Britain should be banned from travelling to Prague and Amsterdam.

Jedi Ben likes this.
  9. Jester J Binks

Jester J Binks Jedi Master star 4

Dec 19, 2016
    I give the Posting Faux Pas in this thread a

[​IMG]

Although there's an * in that just being an open bigot for the sake of it isn't really a faux pas. Kind of like the Nazi salute examples. Everybody was simply being a jerk with full intent.

10. Ender Sai

Ender Sai Chosen One star 10

Feb 18, 2001
    No nation is without sin travelling. Brits, you've said what your guys do badly. I would never criticise Brits for being annoying drunk idiots on a plane, because that's something Australians do too often and as such, it would be hypocritical.

Like, I don't know, singling out one group for being ignorant of a local laws and culture when you're from a country (in)famous for being ignorant of local laws and customs. Like the fact that all tourists are being banned from getting too close to Roman

To underscore the point - an American did the same stupid thing the Chinese did, a week later. Because same same.

The hypocrisy and cultural ignorance is what I objected to. Firstly, that the Chinese were called out for behaving like Americans do, by Americans; and then, disbelief was expressed that a country whose second world war was exclusively about Imperial Japan should not have a Western, anglo-Centric view of the Nazis.

It's really simple. Hypocrisy is cancer, and there's hypocrites aplenty here. Promise you, if a German was objecting to fat Russians wearing skimpy bathers and hitting on young Thai girls, I'd say the same.

11. CT-867-5309

Jan 5, 2011
    Go tell Mrs Fitzgerald.

Ender Sai likes this.
  12. Harpua

Harpua Chosen One star 9

Mar 12, 2005
    She's banned.

13. Ender Sai

Feb 18, 2001
    An act which Texas Internet Human Rights Watch has decried often, as have Hooters girls and sorority sisters.

harpua likes this.
  14. Sith-I-5

Sith-I-5 Force Ghost star 6

Aug 14, 2002
    I'm sure there is a bigger picture around here, other threads, etc., that I am not aware off or getting; but I absolutely see Ender Sai's, point here about certain horrors of World War II not having much of an impact in some parts of the world.

But just like tax laws are extensive and change a lot, I don't think you can expect tourists to look up laws for countries they are going to. I think the responsibility should be with the travel company, or whomever is promoting the destination in the first place.

Eg. One of the places to visit is the famous Reichstag. Be warned that doing Nazi / Roman salutes are generally frowned upon, and could get you arrested.

Something like that.

15. Ender Sai

Feb 18, 2001
    tbf, they'd struggle to get traction with the American/Chinese audience. Americans generally seem to believe the world is basically Americanesque in culture and that it's an affront to ask them to adapt, and the Chinese have no time for things like local custom or even queuing. Having lived in a Chinese country, I can attest to the fact they give very little in ****s about the matters of decorum we would consider essential in public, unless their acts lost face.

And, as someone raised "British", I find the queuing point indefensible. A good, orderly queue is a thing of beauty. Russians do it with no trouble. Arabs will have one person queue and then everyone joins that person when they reach the front. Chinese just mill about with no discernable order of priority. Americans will queue but keep saying "excuse me" without their inside voice, asking security guards or officials if there's any way they, as important Americans, can go to the front.

The less that's said of French people in queues, the better:

[​IMG]

16. anakinfansince1983

anakinfansince1983 Skywalker Saga/LFL/YJCC Manager star 10 Staff Member Manager

Mar 4, 2011
    Before I went to France for a month, I got a whole packet of information on local customs .

I never asked anyone if I could move to the front of the line, although I do have very little patience for a line that does not move efficiently.

Juliet316 and Jester J Binks like this.
  17. Jester J Binks

Jester J Binks Jedi Master star 4

Dec 19, 2016
    [​IMG]

Using the logic of the thread so far, I can now safely say that EVERY SINGLE AMERICAN takes the time to learn the customs of the country they intend to visit and is courteous in the queue.

And of course, the picture also proves everybody in Europe dresses like that. Dashing. My wig is already packed for the trip.

Also, it is kind of stupid to claim the tourists were unaware of the Third Reich. Did they just chance upon the salute? There is only way I can think of that they weren't just being complete jerks. And quite the stretch. The person that knew the history was explaining it to their tourist friend that didn't know. I guess you have to at least give some benefit of doubt, even if far fetched.

There's also the etiquette of the host citizen to consider.

18. Ender Sai

Feb 18, 2001
    Are you talking about when the American was rightfully punched by the German?

19. Sarchet

Sarchet Jedi Master star 2

Jan 23, 2016
    Sadly, with our education system, I actually can see an American not knowing what the Nazi salute is/why it's frowned upon in Germany. As in, the first place they might have seen it was a white nationalist at home and thought it'd be edgy to do it out in public. I'm glad they got punched in the face for it. There are people here who don't know why it's called World War TWO, as in yes, we had one before it. It makes me a little Enderish towards my fellow Americans.

20. anakinfansince1983

anakinfansince1983 Skywalker Saga/LFL/YJCC Manager star 10 Staff Member Manager

Mar 4, 2011
    There was a story at a local middle school about kids drawing a lot of swastikas and thinking they were "edgy", so yeah, I could see that.

21. Juliet316

Juliet316 39x Hangman Winner star 10 VIP - Game Winner

Apr 27, 2005

[face_sick]

22. CT-867-5309

Jan 5, 2011

Actually, it's World War, Too, and it is only the end of a title.

Officially, it's: There Were Many Bad Things in the Past; There Was Famine, Genocide, Slavery, Plague, Racism (not anymore), Depression, Persecution, and World War, Too.

That's the title for page two of world history textbooks. The first page is Jesus.

Despite this, people still don't know the difference between two, to and too.

23. gezvader28

Mar 22, 2003
    they're the vilains in those Indiana Jones movies right ?

24. gezvader28

Mar 22, 2003
    just talking from a purely graphic design perspective - the swastika is one of the greatest designs ever , it is so stark and graphic , simple . It is an interesting thing to draw , I remember drawing it at school , it has that rolling mechanical look to it .
    I believe the Nazis appropriated the image anyway .

25. DANNASUK

DANNASUK Force Ghost star 7

Nov 1, 2012
    Yeah, Britain went through the whole "swastikas are cool" stage, too.

I had a school friend who drew a swastika on his hand. In the middle of English class, the teacher stopped and yelled "6 MILLION DIED BECAUSE OF THAT. WASH IT OFF YOUR HAND. NOW"