main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Saga Cure for the Melancholy ( Obi/Ani/Qui/Lumi Angst/Drama Pre-AotC AU ) little notice - 6/1

Discussion in 'Fan Fiction- Before, Saga, and Beyond' started by rundownstars, Mar 30, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. rundownstars

rundownstars Jedi Youngling star 1

Feb 23, 2003
    Summary; Is there a cure for the melancholy? Obi-Wan seems to be falling into something as strong as the Dark Side that is so much harder to get out of than it is to fall into. Anakin is full of anger, Qui-Gon is dead, and Obi-Wan is stuck in the middle of everything. (Luminara Unduli is also another main character.)

Disclaimer; Do I look like George Lucas to you? I sure hope not. But the SW universe belongs to him. I know this title sounds like ?Medicine for Melancholy? by Ray Bradbury?but it's not. [face_blush]

Date Started; 3/30/03
    Date Edited; 4/19/03
    Date Finished; Still in progress.

Comments; I know I shouldn't be doing this ... But here I am with another story! When the plot bunnies bite?well, it's hard to ignore. Hope you enjoy!

? ? ?

a cure for the melancholy
    - - > part one

? ? ?

His reddish blonde hair was getting longer every day. By now, it had reached slightly below his ears and quite shaggy. His fingers trailed down behind his ear where his padawan braid used to be. He did not smile. He still did not have a beard, but was beginning to think he should grow one. He then felt his chin?smooth, not rough with a beard. He wondered if it would make him look older.

But he was older.

He was a Jedi Knight and he had a padawan, a great padawan. Though Anakin may have been arrogant at times, he was a great apprentice?and would be a great Knight. And Anakin would undoubtedly be far greater than he. Obi-Wan had been told that he would be a remarkable Jedi Knight. His master never saw him get Knighted. It was no doubt that the boy would be great! Anyone could be greater than Obi-Wan Kenobi.

I was too young to be a Knight, anyway. I was far too young to have a padawan. There is no doubt that anyone would be? better than I would.

Yes, he was right. He was a terrible master. Anakin had lost his temper over something Obi-Wan had done. The boy would not even let him know what it was before storming out of their quarters.

If only he paid more attention?

He figured the boy would have been back before meal. He must have said something wrong?again.

What was it about? Was it about saber practice? He must have been pointing out all the faults of the boy, which was not many, instead of how excellent the boy was doing. He had remembered Qui-Gon had done that. He had done that quite a few times when he was a padawan.

?Padawan, don?t step with that foot. Padawan, don?t grip the hilt so hard. Padawan, focus on your opponent and not your audience.?

Obi-Wan sunk lower into his uncomfortably firm chair. He missed Qui-Gon. And he knew that during meditation, Qui-Gon would contact Anakin.

But he never asked to speak with his master. He didn?t need to. He knew that Qui-Gon hadn?t meant to burden him? Wait, yes, he did. He wanted Obi-Wan to train the boy. And Obi-Wan did. But he never knew the boy would cause him this much grief. He had only done what he thought was right. He never had an apprentice, or a child! So how was he supposed to know how to deal with this? He didn?t.

And that?s what bothered him.

He didn?t know so many things?

There was a plate of food in front of him, untouched. But across the table there was also a plate of food, untouched, and an empty chair. He heard the door swish open and then some rustling in the living quarters.

He knew Anakin would be back.

Sitting himself up from his slouching position, he took the eating utensil that was close to his plate and poked at his food. He forced himself to eat.

Anakin stood in the doorway to the kitchen. He was also getting older. He was fifteen, strong, and very proud. He never expected the young boy on Tatooine to be so headstrong. But he was?maybe even arrogant of his abilities.

Obi-Wan was only thirty-one years old, but he felt so much older when he looked upon Anakin.

?Hello, Padawan.?

Standing, and bringing his full plate to the sink, he threw all the food out into the trash. He was not hungry.

?Hello, Master.?

?Your food is on the table,

2. rundownstars

Feb 23, 2003
    up for the night. ?[face_plain]

3. LuvEwan

LuvEwan Jedi Master star 4

Mar 24, 2002
    First reply? [face_mischief]

I'm so excited to see another fic from you! :D This is excellent so far. And 'melancholy' is a perfect description of Obi-Wan's existence here.

So sad, so frustrating...

And of course, I despise Anakin already. :mad: He should realize that Obi-Wan is the Master, albeit a very young one, and that he should respect him!

Wonderful beginning, rundownstars.

And what's that you say? You have more? :confused: Well, post it! I love this and need much, much more!!

But don't forget your other story. ;)

4. rundownstars

Feb 23, 2003
    thanks so much, LE! and, no, of course i haven't forgotten about my other story(ies.) ;) i'm working on it! heh. i guess this was a little sidetrack from that one story i was writing.

? ? ?

That went quite quickly. The Council only wanted to say that the mission he was going on was solo. They could have just commed Obi-Wan for something as trivial as that. But it wasn?t trivial to Obi-Wan. Having his padawan not at his side?

?Master,? Anakin said as he walked in pace beside his master. ?I think I?ll just train for the saber tournament tomorrow.?

Obi-Wan looked to his apprentice, still walking. ?I was apart of the saber tournament when I was a padawan.?

?Were you?? Anakin said skeptically, as if Obi-Wan was lying.

?Yes, I was,? Obi-Wan said quietly as he turned his gaze forward, entering a code to their front door. The door unlocked. Obi-Wan walked in. ?I won quite a few times, as well, my padawan. There is much you don?t seem to know about me? Why is that??

?You never tell me anything.?

?But you never ask.?

There was a pause between the two.

?Well, what did Master Qui-Gon give you?for winning, as you say??

Obi-Wan closed his eyes at the name, his back towards his apprentice as he made his way into his room, Anakin still following. ?Nothing.? Obi-Wan simply said as he unclipped his light saber from his belt and held it out in front of him, examining it.

?Nothing?? Anakin seemed shocked.

?He never watched, either. I always used to look around the crowd, searching for him? He was never there. I don?t think I ever told him, really. I was just grateful I had him. That was more than I could ask for.?

?Where was he??

?On solo missions.?

Anakin was silent for a moment before he turned and began to walk out of Obi-Wan?s room. Obi-Wan quickly turned around and caught his apprentice by the wrist.

?But,? Obi-Wan began, ?I?m putting off this mission for you??

Anakin turned around, his gaze fierce. ?What??

?I know how painful it was? to stare into the crowd and look for that one face?and not find it.?

?I don?t care if you don?t come,? Anakin said, glaring at Obi-Wan as if he could see right through him.

Obi-Wan let go of his apprentice?s wrist and let his arm dangle at his side. He stared at Anakin, wondering if he heard correctly. ?You? what?? his voice was hardly above a whisper.

Anakin grinned. He was the only one that could make Obi-Wan Kenobi lose his perfect composure. ?I don?t care if you weren?t there. I don?t need you. I?m not as dependent as you were when you were a padawan?not at all.? Anakin took a step forward, his grin twisting maliciously. Obi-Wan had seen this emotion drip off his apprentice?s tongue before?but nothing as spiteful as this. ?In our last meditation, Qui-Gon spoke to me. He told me how you were so dependent on him. You didn?t want to take me as your apprentice?you were jealous of me?you wanted to stay with him, as an apprentice.?

?What? are you talking about??

?I know your weakness, Master Obi-Wan. You?re afraid I?ll beat you. You?re afraid I?ll surpass you in everything?all you ever cared about. Well, you know what? I never wanted to be your apprentice either. Qui-Gon would have been such a better master.?

Obi-Wan swallowed. Yes, he had heard his apprentice seethe with such hateful remarks, but this was beyond everything the boy had ever said before. Sure, Obi-Wan and Anakin would talk, but it wasn?t long before Anakin got annoyed and turned the conversation into an argument.

?Padawan?? Obi-Wan said sternly, regaining his composure.

Anakin hissed loudly, ?Don?t call me that!?

That was the last draw. Obi-Wan raised his hand out of pure idiocy and pride and struck Anakin in the face. Anakin quickly shut his mouth and took a step back, holding his face.

?Force, I?m sorry, Anakin?? He was so quick to reply to his actions that it almost seemed insincere to Anakin. Obi-Wan?s hand still hung in the air.

Anakin narrowed his

5. LuvEwan

Mar 24, 2002
    What's wrong? I'm not a good enough reader for ya? :mad: ... ;)

Wonderful post, rundownstars. You've really distinguished between the good (Obi) and the bad (Ani). I can't wait to see where this is going.

Excellent job. :D

6. TheFallen

TheFallen Jedi Padawan star 4

Nov 27, 2001
    Excellent! Another story of yours that I'm hooked on completely. Be sure to update, now. ;)

TF

7. LuvEwan

Mar 24, 2002
    Yeah! UPDATE! :D

8. rundownstars

Feb 23, 2003
    LuvEwan thanks so much for your comments! [face_love] updating, updating. it won't happen again!

The Fallen [face_love] yay! another reader. updating--sorry for the delay. i hope i don't you guys have to wait so long again... :D

? ? ?

It was a long while into the afternoon when Obi-Wan finally made his way back into his room. His exhaustion had finally compelled him to stand and leave. He had a mission to go on. He would not disobey the council for his padawan. If his apprentice didn?t want him to be there, he wouldn?t be. By far, impressing the Council was needed much more than his apprentice?s anger.

Another reason he decided to go was because he couldn?t face Anakin.

He left a piece of flimsy on the table. He saw the sliver of light under Anakin?s door. He must be studying. But Obi-Wan didn?t want to get his hopes up. Written on the flimsy, he simply stated: I?m on the solo mission. If anything happens, anything you need, just contact me. I?m sorry. He made his way into the ?fresher and stared at himself in the mirror.

His eyes were darkened by his lack of sleep, but his hair seemed to hide it quite well. His hair was long, and shaggy. Every now and then, he had to push the strands of hair out of his eyes, but they always fell back into place. His eyes were gray, and he doubted he saw the bright greenish blue color his eyes always glowed before. The color he knew he?d never see again.

But he was calm. Being calm did not mean he was happy. It was hard to believe that his bright light that he held so close, so dearly to him, was dimming with every breath he took. But it wasn?t his breath; he would give anything to Anakin. But the boy, so many times, had thrown his offerings into the dirt and spat on them.

Snap out of it, Obi-Wan, he told himself as he tore his gaze from the mirror.

He would not dive into further memories, for his duty would surely be lost. He was a Jedi; he did not crave the emotion of need, being enough, not being there. Obviously, he would not fail his padawan by going on this simple mission solo. That was what Anakin wanted. But Obi-Wan was not sure if it was the right choice.

But he stared back at the mirror. He didn?t know who was staring back at him. He let his fingers graze the sheen glass, tracing their way around the outline of his face. Why didn?t he know that person staring back at him? Why wasn?t he sure? Biting his lower lip, Obi-Wan slowly let his forehead drop to the mirror and he closed his eyes. He held his breath. His hands pressed against the glass.

He didn?t know Anakin Skywalker anymore. He didn?t know Obi-Wan Kenobi anymore.

Then, he let out a quiet sigh that was nothing but a hiss in the quiet, still air. Did Anakin know he was here? He was so close, in the other room, as a matter of fact, staring at a hollow image of himself reflected in the glass.

He could hardly feel Anakin?s presence in his mind. The boy?s mental shields were so strong. How many times did he remember Qui-Gon doing that? Many times?too many times. No, he did not crave what he did not have. He would not. But, of course, he didn?t have much. But he had one thing that he wanted?needed, a padawan, someone that would ? be by my side at all costs.

He let his eyes flutter shut, and he took a deep breath, settling the stirring of unwanted emotions that began to dwell inside of him. He had a duty to obey. He had a mission to accept.

As he pushed himself from that odd position against the glass, a sudden whir of dizziness flushed his head. Using wall as a balance, he took a deep breath, putting his fingers to his forehead. He was fine. He pulled himself together and palmed open the door. He looked down the hallway. There was still a sliver of light underneath his padawan?s door.

His steps were determined, as he. He would be solo on this mission, if that?s what The Council wished. He would do as he was told. He would not let his master?s defiance bleed into him.

? ? ?

short and sweet--not really. well.

9. TheSwedishJedi

TheSwedishJedi Jedi Master star 4

Sep 15, 2001
    Very nice. I like. :D Can I slap Anakin? He and Obi need to have a heart to heart talk with no sharp or heavy objects nearby. More please.

~Swede :p

10. Nikita

Nikita Jedi Youngling star 3

Oct 14, 2001
    Oooooh boy, I'm not a big fan of Ani's right now... as far as I'm concerned, that boy can be sacrificed to the force! How rude and completely inhumane can you be? When someone offers you love and friendship, you don't go and treat them like sith!

Sorry bout that little rant, I just stopped by to tell you that this is very good so far, and I can't wait for more!

11. LuvEwan

Mar 24, 2002
    He didn?t know Anakin Skywalker anymore. He didn?t know Obi-Wan Kenobi anymore.

:_|

How depressing, rundownstars! Great line, though. ;)

Short, but definitely not sweet! :( I loved the way you described Obi's eyes, the transformation from vibrancy to gray.

And he's sick?!

Awwwww....I'll comfort him. [face_mischief]

And don't even get me started on Ani...You know I'd never stop! :mad: ... [face_laugh]

12. TheFallen

Nov 27, 2001
    Excellent! :D So many good lines, so little quoting time. Just keep up the wonderful work, and I'll keep ranting on how much I want more. Just you wait. ;)

TF

13. rundownstars

Feb 23, 2003
    ( deleting/rewriting. )

i'm in the process of rewriting everything since the post of april fifth. i've deleted everything since then. i just didn't like where this story was going. i was focusing on too much, and not enough of obi-wan's turmoil. i guess all my ideas just took away the main reason why i wanted to write this. so i think i'll just focus on that main idea .. which is the problem between obi-wan and sithly anakin, of course! not of a made-up planet whose government seems to be under seige, or the problems with the secession of the republic, or gruesome coruscant-lower-level murders, or/and tons of new characters to focus on .. just plain obi-wan and anakin. master and padawan. and don't forget the melancholy ..

:D :D

and there will be a new post soon -- very soon. sorry for the inconvenience. i've also noticed that this, well, isn't such a good story to put it short. not as good as the way i wanted it to be, anyway. that's why i'm rewriting it!

( sorry for the bad stuff. )

14. rundownstars

Feb 23, 2003
    ( deleted. )

15. LuvEwan

Mar 24, 2002
    hate those dang double posts. ;)

Aw, such a sweet post, if you forget Obi being sick and the impending danger. [face_laugh]

I love that he thought she was only being nice to him because it was her nature. That shows so perfectly the nonexistence of his self-esteem now. :_|

Loved the entire post, of course. [face_love]

And, I have a GREAT idea for what Ani could be doing on Coruscant!

He could be standing on a balcony, when a huge gust of wind hits, and he falls.....

[face_devil] Just a thought.

Moohoohaha.

Wonderful job, stars. Can't wait for more.

16. TheFallen

Nov 27, 2001
    Two masters of cliffhangers in the same story thread? The Forums might implode. :eek: ;)

Ah, the meddling Council. Leave it to them. They can ruin anything. Or is this going to be a good thing... hmmmmm... Must have more! :D * Remembers you talking about getting reviews and then more posts * Does it count if I reply many many times? ;)

TF

17. Nikita

Nikita Jedi Youngling star 3

Oct 14, 2001
    Ah she's seem really nice. She'll be good for Obi. I have a bad feeling about this mission too... I can't wait to see what trouble gets stirred up!

18. rundownstars

Feb 23, 2003
    ( deleted. )

19. red rose knight

red rose knight Jedi Grand Master star 4

Sep 3, 2001
    So sad. :_| Poor Obi-Wan. At least Anakin was left behind. :) Trouble is brewing and Obi-Wan is not going to be getting much rest I bet.

Very interesting and I look forward to where you plan on taking this.

20. LuvEwan

Mar 24, 2002
    Wonderful, stars! :D

Luminara and Obi are so (even though I really hate this word!) cute, I just want to gush 'awwwww'... [face_blush]

Beautiful language, realistic reactions...

I STILL LOVE IT! [face_love]

NEED MORE IMMEDIATELY....OR WHENEVER YOU CAN GET TO IT. ;)

21. JadeSolo

JadeSolo Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 20, 2002
    Wow, nice! I love how you've written Obi-Wan. Can't wait to see more.

22. rundownstars

Feb 23, 2003
    ( deleted. )

23. red rose knight

red rose knight Jedi Grand Master star 4

Sep 3, 2001
    :_| Poor Obi-Wan! That was so sad the way he was just holding onto her wrist.

I loved the scene through Luminara's eyes and how she saw a mentally drifting Obi-Wan.

Another posty soon? :)

24. LuvEwan

Mar 24, 2002
    Another great update, stars. :D

I haven't read 'Approaching Storm'. Is it any good, or just an Ani yuckfest? :confused:

I'm not disappointed that this isn't a romance. I only like that kinda thing in movies usually. ;)

You've described Luminara's concern wonderfully here, as well as Obi's fear for her to touch his troubled mind.

sigh...so much 'Melancholy' 8-}...need more...IMMEDIATELY.

25. TheFallen

Nov 27, 2001
    Bah! Evil evil evil! I want mooore, good authoress!

Intriguing and teasing. The best kind of post - as long as another follows quickly! :p

TF

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.