main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Currency Throughout The Galaxy.

Discussion in 'Star Wars Saga In-Depth' started by Slowburn, May 24, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Slowburn

Slowburn Jedi Youngling star 4

Apr 22, 2010
    I was just watching "The Clone Wars" again and I just got to thinking about currency. It was kind of spawned by Count Dooku and his Solar Sailor discussion with pirates as well as an earlier discussion with Grievous about Battle Droids being expensive, which made me start wondering if he used Republic credits. In "The Phantom Menace", it was established that Republic credits weren't used on Tatooine. Later on, Han constantly refers to being well paid. Obviously, later on when the Empire took over Coruscant and as well as other core worlds, one can assume that the Imperial credit was born. Still, out of curiosity, how do these criminals such as Dooku or the Rebellion itself store this money? I mean, ships, weapons, armor, et cetera would have to be made with outside sources and they would have to be paid somehow (which, I'm guessing, would be by the dominant currency in the galaxy at that time). One could assume that, being the biggest controllers of the galaxy, the Republic and Empire would respectively control banks and that one's accounts could be frozen by that government if they were criminals. It just wouldn't make sense for everyone in the galaxy to carry around all the credits they had in their ships.

Does anyone know anything more about how outlaws of either the Republic and Empire stored their funds and why they were never frozen by the banks that they would use at the request of the governments?

2. DarthBoba

DarthBoba Manager Emeritus star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 29, 2000
    Han seems to get paid in well, something in boxes :p. That could really be anything from precious metals to bank notes. Plus I'd imagine there were Rebel-friendly banking planets or groups that would do their banking stuff for them.

As for the Republic credits scene in TPM...I've always thought that was a great tipoff to just how whacked-out the Republic had become. Translated to Earth, it'd be like going to, say, Guatemala from the USA and finding out that nobody's taking dollars anymore. Although given the danger of flashing around large sums of cash, Qui-Gon probably should have had some traveler's cheques. :p

The Intergalactic Banking Clan was the most powerful financial group in galactic history as far as I can tell, and outlived both the Republic and the Empire.

3. Dawud786

Dawud786 Chosen One star 5

Dec 28, 2006
    ^In the NPR Radio Drama of ANH, the Rebs pay Han with excess electronics parks... wiring and valuable circuitry. Stuff he could trade or sell for cold hard credits.

4. Yodasbadgirl1

Yodasbadgirl1 Jedi Knight star 5

Mar 30, 2009
    Maybe there's Intergalactic version of VISA. Can be used everywhere.:p

There are heaps of currency I think it depends where you are. So to be wealthy you would have to carry Imperial Credit's, Republic Credits, spice, slaves, droids, parts. You get the drift.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.