main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Calgary Current Events

Discussion in 'Canada Discussion Boards' started by echosevin, Sep 2, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. echosevin

echosevin Jedi Master star 4

Mar 7, 2005
    I thought I'd start a thread to handle all those topics that are somewhat important to us, but that wouldn't, or shouldn't, take up an entire thread. Talk about what's happening in your life, stuff that's going on of interest (world/polictics/city etc), or your beefs (try to keep the personal stuff out of it though - no flame wars).

So here's what's happening for me today:

Woke up at 6 am, packed our lunches and bottles of water and drove up to Lake Louise. The day was perfect - sunny, blue skies, a balmy 25 degrees......we hiked 7 km (round trip) up to Lake Agnes, by the big Beehive. It was so incredible! What a view! The hike was hard for me - I'm not the most 'fit' person. But I took my time and we made it up in a couple of hours. So worth the pain - we live in such a gorgeous part of Canada. So rarely do we appreciate the wonders that surround us. The hike down was just as hard - especially on the knees :oops: But it was faster [face_mischief]

Thinking of doing the hike up to the Plain of Six Glaciers either on Monday or the following Sunday.

Oh, and Attack of the Clones is on RIGHT NOW!!

2. Jedi_Ranger_007

Jedi_Ranger_007 Jedi Padawan star 4

Mar 15, 2004
    And once again, someone bypasses Banff, and a chance to stop by the Banff Springs and say "hi" to me, here at work.

Oh, today I picked up my mail, and what a great day it was for mail - not a single bill!! I got the latest of: MEC catalog, RC Car Action, and MaximumPC. I also got an Amazon package (3 dvds and a book).

3. ima_clone

ima_clone Jedi Youngling

Apr 24, 2006
    so... eventually mail containing bills will follow

4. Jedi_Ranger_007

Mar 15, 2004
    ..................eventually. :(

5. Darth_Corro

Darth_Corro Jedi Youngling star 2

May 13, 2006
    I am enjoying the first weekend off I've had in about 3 years. It's good to know that I'll be able to attend more events and be with my family more. I didn't do much today except refill one of my vending machines and go shopping. I'm also gearing up to start work on my next lightsaber.

6. ravencrow666

ravencrow666 Jedi Youngling star 1

Jan 23, 2006
    i don't know what your crabbing about their ranger ...i can't in a million years see some one comming all the way out here to have a beer... hahaha..
    trying to get the fanforce set up out here... found a few fans and some i heard about ..if i can get these peole together we just might do it ...

7. Jordain

Jordain Jedi Youngling star 1

Sep 15, 2003
    Hey Echo, sounds like a great hike!
    Raven, good luck with getting things started over there...

Yesterday I took my border collie Tulku up to nose hill park...we had such an incredible view of the mountains, wish we could've kept Mr. and Mrs. Bulloch around longer so they could get a better look too. I also dropped by chinook and hobby...picked up a few things, but the best were a 12' Zam and a mini stormtrooper helmet.

Today I made myself a tail...and furry paws. I'm afraid a furry costume is going to be in the works alongside my fett. (Could I have two more opposite costumes? lol) I thought the furries at the con looked great, and now I want one. ^_^

I also sit patiently by the mailbox...waiting for something...ANYTHING! I think the mailman is scared.

Has anyone else seen the new massive ATAT's that Hasbro is now making? (About 89.00$) I saw one at Toys R Us, but it was already gone when I stuck my head in today. I think they look like sooo much fun to play with.

8. ShatirLavan

ShatirLavan Jedi Youngling star 3

Sep 19, 2005
    You could always do a furry Fett. Mix and match like Lego Star Wars, Boba Fett's head and body, Chewie's arms and legs. Speaking of which, I've actually been thinking of doing a Lowbacca costume (sometime after my clone though, I don't have the time for both).

My current events, last night I had a barbecue with some of my parents friends who are visiting from Vancouver, as well as my boss, her husband and some coworkers, just to mark the end of summer, yadayada. Today I went geo-cacheing with my parents and their friends. Basically someone has left a container filled with little knicknacks up in the woods and recorded the GPS location of it. The coordinates are recorded on a website, you plug them into your GPS unit, and go find the container. When you do, you trade something of yours for something from the container. I left a lanyard and took a mini flashlight.

Tonight I will finish my DC15 rifle. The painting is complete, I just need to add some metal greeblies. I'll bring it to BobaJay's party to show you guys.

Other than that, I've just been packing up my stuff, and I'll be headed out to Cow-Town on Friday, moving into rez on saturday. There's a big football game and concert for the 40th anniversary of UofC on saturday at noon. Bedouin Soundclash is playing, so it should be pretty cool. I'm looking forward to coming back and hanging out with you guys again.

9. whisperjedi

whisperjedi Jedi Youngling star 2

Apr 19, 2005
    Watched AotC on CBC. last night, and seriously wondered...

Padme: To be angry, is to be human.

Anakin: But, I'm a Jedi, jedi's are supposed to be above this.

Was this dialogue, in the theatrical version? (This will be the only off-topic question, 2 this thread.)

For some reason, watching televised movies is not the same as renting, and watching movies on t.v.

And checked my e-mail.

10. Darth_Corro

Darth_Corro Jedi Youngling star 2

May 13, 2006
    It will be definitely good to see you again in Calgary, Shatir Lavan. Can't wait to see your DC15. In other news, I just started reading Dark Lord: The Rise of Darth Vader. I like the clonetrooper parts. It's really starting to steer me towards building a Clonetrooper instead of a Stormie.

11. echosevin

Mar 7, 2005
    No - that little bit was not in the theatrical version. It was added to the DVD version when it came ou (and a nice addition in my opinion).

Kris - sorry we didn't stop in to say hi. We did stop in Banff before heading home. My hubby loves the food at St. James Gate so we stopped for a bite. I did think about you when we were there, but didn't have my cell with me (wouldn't work in the mountains anyway and couldn't remember if I had your number or not). It was such a zoo! Summer is always a busy time in Banff. Next time I head up, I'll be sure and PM you :)

My glutes are killing me after that hike!! :( I feel like an old woman, hobbling around....

Jordain - a furry Fett costume would be so funny. How 'bout a wookiee Fett??!:p

12. ravencrow666

ravencrow666 Jedi Youngling star 1

Jan 23, 2006
    STEVE erwin the crock hunter has passed on at the age of 44, due to a sting ray bite. Hewas kinda cool i enjoyed his show, not that i'm surprized he was always going up to close but still.

13. Jordain

Jordain Jedi Youngling star 1

Sep 15, 2003
    It's so sad that the croc hunter died...he was an amazing man. :(
    Hey Shawn, I'm going to be at the U of C party too! I'm excited. :D

14. ShatirLavan

ShatirLavan Jedi Youngling star 3

Sep 19, 2005
    When I went to Australia when I was 12, I had the chance to go see Steve Irwin at his park, but my Uncle who lives there didn't think it was that exciting so we went to an Aussie amusement park instead. I know a Jedi does not know regret, but, it bites I never got to see him in person when I had the chance. At least he died doing what he loved.

Sarah, if you feel like joining me at Kickoff, or grabbing some dinner after, just gimme a call. I emailed you my new cell number.

15. Jedi_Ranger_007

Mar 15, 2004
    Breaking news!

Well, for some reason I am unable to get any of my Bluetooth devies to connect to my system. After about 6 hours of troubleshooting and testing, the nearest I can come, is that a power outage/surge last night had a negative effect on my Bluetooth hub.

No amount of system restarts, software uninstalls, software reinstalls, driver uninstalls, driver reinstalls, etc., etc. has fixed the problem.

What REALLY bugs me, is that my cordless Bluetooth hardware are my sweet mouse and keyboard. I paid about $200 for the combe set about 2 years ago, and it doesn't look like Logitech makes this model anymore. And that was AFTER waiting about a year before I could afford to upgrade!

I managed to dig up an ancient beige compaq ps/2 keyboard from work, and dug up my old white 2-button trackball mouse.

Sweet! Just remembered about my slightly newer optical mouse with scroll wheel. I NEED my scroll wheel!! Any my fancy keyboard with hotkeys.

So, it looks like I'm going shopping soon. Not that I can really afford it right now, but I'll find a way.

Grrrrrrrrr..............

16. Apailana

Apailana Jedi Knight star 5

Jun 19, 2005
    Chad Martin of the POG house kept calling Steve Irwin "Steve Verwin," or atleast that's what it sounded like. That ticked me off. It's terrible to hear about Irwin's death. It's really depressing that a stingray got him, imo. But like Shatir said, he died doing what he loved.

Anyways, back home, today is my first day of high school. Hurray for driving all the way up to the Museum of the Regiments just to go to school! :rolleyes: I'm nervous as ****, but I'm really excited, because I get to see a bunch of people I haven't seen in two or three years. And I only have to go in 'till noon today. Yesssssssssssssssssss.

Ranger - I know what you mean about the scroll wheel. >.< And I hope you find something that works soon. :)

17. Vadersmistress66

Vadersmistress66 Jedi Youngling star 2

Oct 3, 2005
    Sigh, are we all happy to be back at work after another long weekend? I travelled up to Edmonton this weekend, went to a big party, watched some movies, ate ALOT. I was at this antique shop out there, and i saw a Luke action figure in the stormtrooper costume w/ a removable helmet, has anyone seem this before? I was tripping out, i didn't buy it($90.00) But it was pretty cool... Does anyone have any info on this, was thinking mabye to pick it up. Anyway, had an amazing time, got back way too late last night to be back at work so early.

Echosevin, have you ever done the Johnson Canyon trail up there? One of my co-workers was telling me it's just beautiful, and not too strenous, and if you go far enough you come to these ink ponds(? I think that's what he called them) Little pools of water that are different colors anyway. I think i'm going to head up there next weekend if this weather holds up.

That's sad news about Steve Irwin, he was always entertaining. He led quite the life though...

One more week everyone! Are we excited?

18. Dooks

Dooks Jedi Padawan star 4

Jul 5, 2005
    All I did this weekend was help my folks move some stuff to there new house in Vulcan and went to the Tattoo Expo at the round up center. Just chilled it was nice to have 2 days off, Jamie (hope I spelled that right) the Luke figure you saw had to be from the first power of the jedi figures that were released in 1985 but if it was loose there's NO WAY it should be $90.00. Hasbro did do another version of the Luke Stormtrooper in the modern power of the force line on both red and green card backs. If you want one you can find them pretty cheap on ebay for anywhere from $5-$8.00 US the only way the Luke you saw is $90.00 is if it's on card and at that price, depending on condition, that's a pretty good price but if only carded.

19. BH-7113

BH-7113 Jedi Youngling star 1

Apr 20, 2005
    Pics from Johnston Canyon this summer...

[image=http://i90.photobucket.com/albums/k256/BH-7113/Picture020-1.jpg]

http://s90.photobucket.com/albums/k256/BH-7113/?start=0

Hey Dooks we were at the Tattoo Expo most of the day Sunday...

Roger, Rob, Dave and myself... All got inked!!!

(kidding)

20. echosevin

Mar 7, 2005
    I've got that Luke figure, Jamie. I picked it up at a garage sale for like, $1 - it's of course loose but in great shape.
    And yes, we went to Johnson's canyon a few years back. It was great. Didn't see the ink pools though - perhaps I didn't go far enough? [face_thinking] Really want to do the Plains of Six Glaciers hike though - apparently you can actually walk along the top of a moraine! That would be so cool!

21. Vadersmistress66

Vadersmistress66 Jedi Youngling star 2

Oct 3, 2005
    thanks for the heads up on the figure guys...

Great pictures Scott, i'm definetely going to have to go check it out.

What kind of tattoo's did you guys get? I've heard that expo's pretty cool, would have been fun to check out.

22. Jedi_Ranger_007

Mar 15, 2004
    The Ink POTS - yes, pots, are about another 2-4km past the main falls.

23. PreludeRM

PreludeRM FanForce CR, & Fanforce Council Calgary, Alberta star 4

Oct 28, 2002
    Well its my first day back at work after holidays for over 2 weeks. It so feels like Monday. OMG is it tough to get back into the swing of things. I think I needed a nap at 2pm. Its just tough to concentrate on work stuff when you really don't want to be back. Oh well there is always tommorow to be another Monday. Sounds like you guys had a good time at the expo Scot. I was thinking about going. My wife wanted to go. But I ended up staining the deck yesterday in the afternoon. Can we say Yee-haw fun.....

24. Jeedai9

Jeedai9 Jedi Youngling

Jun 6, 2006
    Cool idea for a thread Yrol!
    You all get vacation?!?! I wish I knew what that was like.
    I did some rock climbing on my Sunday/workday. Easy job and I get to climb for free. They have an Auto-Belayer, which is cool. So I jumped up the wall, and tore up my fingers and had fun doing it. Any one ever interested in learn or playing, let me know. I instruct too.
    Other than that...I am a boring old man

25. echosevin

Mar 7, 2005
    Did anyone catch the sunset last night? It was incredible! The sun became this HUGE red globe, set low in the sky - looked just like Yavin [face_mischief]

Jay's actually got REAL bbq tools for the DVD party on the 17th - no more burning our fingers or using plastic forks :p

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.