main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Calgary Current Events

Discussion in 'Canada Discussion Boards' started by echosevin, Sep 2, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Starkiller77

Starkiller77 Jedi Youngling star 3

Dec 29, 2005
    It's waaaay better the second time. It's facinating to watch the Wookies interact in their natural habitat. Beatrice (respect!) Arthur still touches my heart when the cantina is closed down. Damn Imps and their curfews.

2. ShatirLavan

ShatirLavan Jedi Youngling star 3

Sep 19, 2005
    I think I just might have to make wookiee-ookiees again. Poor Lumpy getting all his toys torn apart and smashed by stormies. I'm surprised how easily they walked up those stairs though, especially without a handrail to hold onto.

3. Jedi_Ranger_007

Jedi_Ranger_007 Jedi Padawan star 4

Mar 15, 2004
    Well, last nighty I was able to pick up a used Dell Inspiron 8500 laptop, for only $135!!!

It needed a new hard drive, which I had a spare, from when I upgraded my regular laptop.

It has a Pentium 4-M 2.5gHz proc, with 512mb ram, and a 64mb GeForce 4400 vid card. It has a 15.4" widecreen, CD-RW/DVD-ROM drive, and built-in wireless LAN.

So, I spent about 1/2 hour cleaning the fan and heatsink - I'm surprised the thing actually ran as long as it did. The heatsink was filled with dust and hair and other gunk, and I had to use a pin to pick it clean.

Then, I installed the new (used) 40gb hdd, and spent the following 7 hours STRAIGHT installing WinXP Home and ALL the updates and service packs and a full suite of (free) security/safety software.

Since the second Dell restore disk (with all the drivers) was missing, I had to spend hours locating, downloading, then transferring to a USB thumbdrive, and then installing all the necessary drivers.

She is now up and running. For now, this one will be my rough-and-tumble take anywhere, whenever computer. My regular laptop is WAY sturdier and more powerful, but it is classed as a destop replacement, so I'll still baby it.

Anyway, I just thought I share my good fortune on this sweet deal!

4. PreludeRM

PreludeRM FanForce CR, & Fanforce Council Calgary, Alberta star 4

Oct 28, 2002
    I checked my mail box yesterday and also recieved 3 copies of the insider. And I didn't even have to watch the Holiday special. I hope this does not count toward the 6 for the year.

5. Starkiller77

Starkiller77 Jedi Youngling star 3

Dec 29, 2005
    Are you saying I would have got more copies if I didn't watch it? Or less? The two are obviously linked.

6. Vadersmistress66

Vadersmistress66 Jedi Youngling star 2

Oct 3, 2005
    That's strange, over the last couple months, i've been sent about 4 back issues of Insider...think they might be a touch confused over there?

7. Jedi_Ranger_007

Mar 15, 2004
    If people have doubles they don't want/need....I'll take 'em. I haven't renewed my membership in years.

8. Vadersmistress66

Oct 3, 2005
    I have a few you can have, just remind me before the next meeting Kris!

9. echosevin

echosevin Jedi Master star 4

Mar 7, 2005
    I got some more of the vinyl car stickers if anyone needs one.

Winbrant, I've got one put aside for you :)

10. Jedi_Ranger_007

Mar 15, 2004
    That would great!!

Unfortunately, I can never make it out (from Banff) for the reguar meetings. Maybe we could arrange something else, or even involve a "3rd party".

11. ShatirLavan

Sep 19, 2005
    I Need a sticker Yrol!

12. echosevin

Mar 7, 2005
    Okay Shawn - I'll put one aside for you too.

Kris,
    I may be in Banff between Christmas and New Years (I've been told there's a new Sri-Lankan restaurant that just opened there and I'm dying to try it out). If we do go, I'll give you a call and hopefully we can meet up. Perhaps Jamie can give me the mags over lunch before then and I can get them to you.
    Oh and THANK YOU for the D-rings :)

13. Jedi_Ranger_007

Mar 15, 2004
    Oh, no problem; you're WELCOME!!

Yeah, that would be great, if we could arrange delivery, and even a (diner) meeting! Maybe even give you a tour of the hotel, especially now that ALL the Christmas decorations and lights are up! ;)

14. ShatirLavan

Sep 19, 2005
    I am so close to finishing my social psychology paper. I just felt a need to procrastinate a little more. Since I'm up this late though, I don't think I'll bother going to sleep tonight. I might grab some more energy drinks from 7-11, I'm on my last Coke Blak right now. Then when I'm finished I'll take a sunrise walk, have some breakfast, and hand my paper in. Then I'll mooch some coffee off of Sarah so I can stay awake long enough to go see Tenacious D tonight. Then I'll actually get a good night's sleep for the first time in a week.

15. Vadersmistress66

Oct 3, 2005
    Have fun in Kelowna Shatir!

16. Darth_Corro

Darth_Corro Jedi Youngling star 2

May 13, 2006
    I will never get a Wii before Xmas. I swear...these people lined up at the store the night before remind me of...Star Wars fans before opening night. Speaking of which, if anyone wants a free copy of 'Star Wait', send me a PM.

17. echosevin

Mar 7, 2005
    I've been so busy with work (both of them) I rarely get the chance to post anymore [face_worried]

Let's see.........what have I been doing?

Saw Eragon this weekend - was VASTLY disappointed. IMO they BUTCHERED it. But Rob, not having read the book, seemed to enjoy it.

Christmas came a little early for me this past week. My Secret Santa gave me a black hat (at first I was like, uhhhh.....it's a black hat??) and then I looked at the back of it. Embroidered on the back, in RED thread is LADY OF THE SITH!!! I almost lost my marbles - loved, LOVED, LOVED it!! My girlfriend gave me a set of 4 Star Wars Lego pens (R2, Yoda, Chewie and the Dark Lord himself) - wicked cool!! And...........

the mailman delivered an ENORMOUS box to my place on Saturday. In it was the Limited Edition of SCULPTING THE GALAXY. It's simply incredible - there's so much to go thru. It blows my mind :eek:.

Off to the theatre now for yet another shift.........

18. Vadersmistress66

Oct 3, 2005
    We rtented pulse last night ( i fell asleep, so don't ask how it was) But in the previews, there's a new movie called "Fanboyz" that looks hilarious! It's about 4 SW fans on some journey to see I belive it was EP I before release. I haven't heard about it, or if i did i forgot. Anyone have any info on this?

19. Jedi_Ranger_007

Mar 15, 2004
    To any and all that are interested, the Banff Springs Hotel skating rink is now open, and it looks like it's in great shape. The rink is maintained throughout the season by our grounds crew.

Yes, it's free!

There is a hill right at the rink, that is very popular for sledding/etc. It's not huge, but it is something, at least.

There is also a small fire pit there. I'm not sure about this year, but in the past, fire wood has been provided. Although, I haven't seen the fire going this year yet.

Also, there is a large floodlight that is turned on for night skating. This gets turned off around midnight, unless there are several people still skating.

Parking is only about a block away, free, at the Bow Falls parking lots.

20. Vadersmistress66

Oct 3, 2005
    Whoo!! I am so there! I went skating last night for the first time in 15 or so years and it was so much fun! Except for the evil little boy that kept trying to take me out..grrrr...(i'm just kidding, he was cute, evil, but cute) And I only fell once.

Hey Kris, just curious, is there a room discount at all during the week?

6 DAYS TILL CHRISTMAS GANG!

21. Jedi_Ranger_007

Mar 15, 2004
    Welllllll.....sort of.......it's highly conditional. *PM sent*

22. ShatirLavan

Sep 19, 2005
    I saw Eragon a few days ago as well. I never read the book, and I enjoyed it, but there was a 12 year old in the audience who was hating it since it was so different from the book. I just wanted to tell the kid to relax. I never got Tom Bombadil, so we're even.

On another note, my family celebrated X-Mas tonight, since I'm heade back to Cowtown on friday so I can work on Saturday. If anyone is coming to COP between 11 and 2, come Hi5 the mascot! Anyway, my sister gave me a really cool toque and Clerks 2 (she was clever enough to get widescreen, so proud). My parents bought me some day passes to Big White, and gave me money for costuming. Hopefully that will allow me to get Cade Skywalker done before C4, but if not then, he'll be done for Conversion/Nexus. So far, I have the chest plates cut out of sintra. If anyone knows of any Vader pants/shins that I could acquire for a reasonable price, count me as interested.

23. echosevin

Mar 7, 2005
    Oh I'd love to come up to Banff....but I've been so sick the last two days. I'm off work again today - I've lost my voice completely and can make no others sounds than a few squeaks and other high pitched noises. I sound like a broken R2 unit.

Hope everyone else is hale.......

24. Vadersmistress66

Oct 3, 2005
    That sucks echosevin! I hope you feel better for the weekend! You've been working too hard I think...

25. echosevin

Mar 7, 2005
    My husband finds it vastly amusing. He keeps saying 'Can you repeat that? I can't hear you.' Bugger!!

Veritate - did you see the Today show this morning? There was a short interview with our beloved Obi Wan - Ewan McGregor. Regarding the new Mrs. Potter movie opening soon. He's so dreamy....[face_hypnotized] =P~ [face_blush]

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.