main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Calgary Current Events

Discussion in 'Canada Discussion Boards' started by echosevin, Sep 2, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. echosevin

echosevin Jedi Master star 4

Mar 7, 2005
    Tim Burton's the Nightmare Before Christmas comes out today too - in IMAX 3-D!!! Can't wait to see it. As well as the Prestige - it's supposed to be fantastic.

I really hope I'm working the theatre on Tuesday night - I'd love to wear my costume :D

2. ShatirLavan

ShatirLavan Jedi Youngling star 3

Sep 19, 2005
    My dad and sister are in town, and we're thinking of seeing the Prestige saturday night. So if anyone wants to stick around after laser tag and join us for dinner and a movie, you are certainly welcome.

3. Apailana

Apailana Jedi Knight star 5

Jun 19, 2005
    Is Chinook getting The Nightamre Before Christmas? It's not listed anywhere, and that makes me sad.

4. Vadersmistress66

Vadersmistress66 Jedi Youngling star 2

Oct 3, 2005
    Don't be sad...it HAS to come to Chinook :)

5. Apailana

Apailana Jedi Knight star 5

Jun 19, 2005
    GOOD.

I might be doing a double feature this evening. :p Naw, the 'rents wouldn't let me do that. I'll go this weekend, though.

Oh, and thanks for telling me it's here. [:D]

6. Darth_Corro

Darth_Corro Jedi Youngling star 2

May 13, 2006
    There are about 4-6 rows of stacked cages full of parcels at work and I can't help but thinking that one of them is my armor. (><) It's like that closing scene of "Raiders of the Lost Ark" when the guy is wheeling the ark into the warehouse that goes on for miles...

Yrol! How are those grips treating you?

7. echosevin

Mar 7, 2005
    Grips are great, Jason - thanks ;)

Long days - working 8 hour days and then heading straight to the theatre for another 6 hours.....had to take the bus home last night. Took me an hour and half to get home - didn't get to sleep until 2 am. Had to get up at 6 this morning for work I-) I-) I'm so tired. And have to do it again tonight and tomorrow.

But the high point of my evening was getting a surprise visit at Chinook from my two favourite superheroes - Red5 and Defender75!! You boys are da bomb!!!

8. ShatirLavan

Sep 19, 2005
    I just finished Darth Bane: Path of Destruction last night. That is an amazing book. It is similar in the quality of storytelling as Bloodlines. Drew Karpyshyn gets into Darth Bane's head equally as well as Karen Traviss get's into Boba Fett's. This book actually drew me to the dark side a little bit. Speaking of things that are "more seductive," I've got a hot date tonight with a tall blonde girl who lives in my building. We're going swimming. [face_dancing]

9. ShatirLavan

Sep 19, 2005
    Jami, you were right when you told me I'd find an awesome girl if I just stopped looking for her. Kourtney and I went swimming last night, then had dinner at Luciano's. We headed back to my place for some ice cream and tea. She mentioned that she had never seen ROTS, so we watched it. She thought it was pretty cool (despite all of Ani's angst). It was a great date in my opinion.

10. Jedi_Ranger_007

Jedi_Ranger_007 Jedi Padawan star 4

Mar 15, 2004
    Hey Shawn - "You can dooo it!!" ;-)

Well, 2 days till the Saturday halloween event, and I'm cramming to get some costume ideas finished. It's all slowly coming together, though. Thursday will be REALLY busy for me, costume-wise. I'm hopeing things turn out like I have planned/drawn.

In other news, I'm about 3/4 finished Bloodlines. Some interesting stuff, but overall, I'm finding it kind of boring. Well, I guess I don't really like the writing style. I'm looking forward to finishing it and getting to the other books I have waiting: "The Last Command" and "Red Mars". Both will be rereads, but from 10-11 years ago. I'm really looking forward to them.

11. Vadersmistress66

Oct 3, 2005
    That's great Shawn! I'm glad your date went well...sounds like a fun night, swimming, dinner, ROTS.

I'm taking rock climbing lessons tonite w/ my sisters (one of them had a gift certificate) so this should be intresting.

12. echosevin

Mar 7, 2005
    Apailana - unfortunately it doesn't look like Chinook will be showing the 3-D version of the Nightmare Before Xmas in IMAX. It was only released to a few theatres in North America and we weren't one of them :_|

I was looking forward to seeing it too. Sorry....

13. PoisonedApple

PoisonedApple Jedi Youngling

Oct 23, 2005
    Darn! It's not your fault, don't be sorry. Thanks for letting me (us?) know, so I don't spend the next ever trying to make plans to go see it.

Looking foward to Saturday much? I'm excited to see everybody again. Then Halloween, then my birthday! Oh, how I love late October and early November.

14. PreludeRM

PreludeRM FanForce CR, & Fanforce Council Calgary, Alberta star 4

Oct 28, 2002
    Apailana is Poisoned Apple your alter ego??? or just a sock?

15. PoisonedApple

Oct 23, 2005
    just my halloween sock.

16. Magpie Jen

Magpie Jen Jedi Youngling star 2

Dec 19, 1999
    *Jen picks herself up off the floor*

I haven't heard anyone use the term 'sock' for like... over 5 years ago, when I was a regular on theonering.com (TORC) messageboards. I thought it was just something TORC'ers said! And I had the impression that the saying came from a particular guy who called his alt "Manwe's Sock" or something like that (Manwe is a sort of god/angel in LOTR Elvish mythology)! Cool.

17. PreludeRM

Oct 28, 2002
    Sock has been around for many many years. While playing Quake years ago online it we used to call it "smurfing".

18. PoisonedApple

Oct 23, 2005
    I'd never called them socks before I came here. It took me about three months to figure it out. It's intresting that LOTC's (I have no idea what that stands for) use it too... must be a nerd thing. :-B :p

19. PreludeRM

Oct 28, 2002
    TheOneRing.Com

20. Ark-Daragon

Ark-Daragon Jedi Youngling star 1

Aug 19, 2006
    Man today is the greatest day. I moved out of my other house officialy and moved into one of my friends house so from 8 room mates im down to 1 :D its awsome it was funny too. it was like one of those moments you had to have a mission imposible song in the back ground i moved in less then 3 minuts and got back to my new place in less then 20 minuts the cab driver was happy so ya :D cya and have fun

21. Jedi_Ranger_007

Jedi_Ranger_007 Jedi Padawan star 4

Mar 15, 2004
    Wooootttt!!!

As of 2047hrs (today), I have completed all my costume mods and fabrications planned: new lightsaber, padding on my bracers, and.......a new leather lightsaber thigh holster. The new holster is damn sweet, if I do say so myself; it is truely one-handed!! No pics till after tomorrow. I have to get back to work now. ;-) :D:D:D:D:D:D

22. ShatirLavan

Sep 19, 2005
    Trooping was a lot of fun yesterday. Except for that annoying Batman kid that kept following me and Ian around. I wore the clone to the Halloween cab at the Den, but they made me put the deece in the coat check. Dancing in that thing was fun, but it got claustrophobic when everyone started to crowd in around me. Pretty easy to force an exit though, just start walking and ppl act like the red sea. I also had a very nice after party for 2. And now it's snowing. Woohoo! Can't wait to go snowboarding.

23. PoisonedApple

Oct 23, 2005
    Oh God, was that Batman kid annoying. And his Spider-Man shirt that was showing the ENITRE TIME... *cringe* Besides that and being called both a vampire girl and witch (I undertsnad the vampire... but the witch?!?!?!1 I really need a new costume), yesterday was pretty enjoyable. Great to see everybody again. And Shawn, I never got to tell you, but the trooper was AMAZING.

I almost started crying when I came downstairs today. Snow is not cool. Not this close to halloween. Not ever. I spose it's good for you snowboarders and whatnot, but for me, snow means winter and winter means what life I had is now gone. Atleast I have to cancel all my plans today, which means I have all day to work on this stupid essay. Rawr high school.

24. vonScott

vonScott Jedi Youngling star 1

Aug 16, 2006
    The Rocky Horror Picture Shows on Friday and Saturday were a BLAST! By far the largest showings I've ever seen in Calgary. Apparently there were 400 tickets pre-sold covering all three shows by 9:30 PM Friday. I feel sorry if there were some hopeful people wanting to buy tickets at the door who we had to turn away. Tuesdays show will probably be just as peanut-butter-and-jam-packed as the other nights.

Oh - I'm presently bald.

25. Vadersmistress66

Oct 3, 2005
    We went to Rocky Horror on Friday night, it was sooo much fun! Katie & Lisa had never been to the theater to see it, and I haven't been in like over 10 years. We had a great time, woke up in the morning, my bathroom floor was covered in rice and toast crumbs...My boyfriend was like what the hell HAPPENED at this movie? [face_laugh]

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.