main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Amph current space opera?

Discussion in 'Archive: SF&F: Books and Comics' started by brodiew, Sep 21, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. brodiew

brodiew Jedi Grand Master star 5

Oct 11, 2005
    I need some help.

suggestions?

2. Rogue...Jedi

Rogue...Jedi Administrator Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jan 12, 2000
    More info on what you mean would help. :)

3. TheModFavorite

TheModFavorite Jedi Master star 4

Sep 14, 2007
    look at the warhammer 40k books. that might fulfill your need for space opera.

4. brodiew

Oct 11, 2005
    I know, Rogue. Terribly short and vague. I was in a hurry.

I'm looking for something in 1-3 books, with good characterization and a quickly engaging plot. I don't want Honor Harrington. I'm looking for something a little more contained with a beginning, middle, and end. I'm also not looking for the complexity of Dune. A little less dense would be good as well.

Does that help?

5. TheModFavorite

TheModFavorite Jedi Master star 4

Sep 14, 2007
    if you don't want dense, then stay away from iain m. banks.

6. brodiew

Oct 11, 2005
    No other recommendations? Really?

7. Dingo

Dingo Jedi Grand Master star 5

Apr 23, 2001
    From Sean Williams and Shane Dix, either their Evergence trilogy or the Geodesica duology.

8. VadersLaMent

VadersLaMent Chosen One star 10

Apr 3, 2002
  9. JEDI-SOLO

JEDI-SOLO Force Ghost star 6

Feb 12, 2002
    Try Gene Wolfe's Book of the New Sun. It is spacy with a fantasyish twist. Very good, just make sure you have a dictionary handy lol.

The story takes place billions of years into the future when the sun is a Red Giant and Earth is spelled Urth.

10. DRHJ9

DRHJ9 Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 19, 2003
    A lot of people are mixed on this, but I thought Anderson's Saga of Seven Suns series was pretty good.

11. DarthXan318

DarthXan318 Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 12, 2002
    I like Elizabeth Moon's work - The Serrano Legacy and Vatta's War are both space opera series with a military bent and excellent characterisation.

12. jangoisadrunk

jangoisadrunk Jedi Padawan star 4

Mar 7, 2005
    Alastair Reynolds' Revelation Space Trilogy (or anything else of his for that matter).

Pushing Ice is the highlight of his non-RS material.

13. Obi Wan Bergkamp

Obi Wan Bergkamp Jedi Master star 3

Oct 19, 1998
  14. brodiew

Oct 11, 2005
    I did this thread a year or two ago. My interests are cyclical and I'm always interested in seeing what people reccommend.

I know of the Gap series by Donaldson, but my experience with him is that his style is fairly depressive. I'm not in the mood to be depressed.

Thanks for the suggestion though.

15. Obi Wan Bergkamp

Obi Wan Bergkamp Jedi Master star 3

Oct 19, 1998
    In that case I'd second the suggestions above for Iain M Bank's Culture novels. One of the main advantages of them is that they are not linear, you could pick up almost any Culture novel and read it as a standalone*

You mention needing 1-3 books, in that case I would recommend starting with Player of Games and following this up with Excession and Consider Phlebas

* The only book this doesn't work for is Inversions, as without a knowledge of the Culture the ending won't make sense. It also helps to have read Consider Phlebas before reading Look To Windward, but the latter can still be enjoyed as a standalone.

16. Cobranaconda

Cobranaconda Jedi Grand Master star 7

Mar 3, 2004
    I'll back up Xany. Serrano Legacy is pretty awesome, but it's 7 books (though in the UK it's 3 rather chunky books). Haven't tried Vatta's War yet though.

17. DarthXan318

DarthXan318 Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 12, 2002
    Oh yeah- I didn't notice the stipulation that it be 1-3 books, sorry. Still, I'd say The Serrano Legacy can be read as two successive trilogies and one conclusion book, and you can probably read either trilogy as a standalone if you like. (Although if you're like me, you'll then 'have' to pick up the rest just to know more, because there is an overarching plot in the background.)

Vatta's War is 5 books, so maybe not. I thought it was very good, and very engaging, but not quite as good as Serrano Legacy.

18. Jedi Ben

Jedi Ben Chosen One star 9

Jul 19, 1999
    Neal Asher's Cormac series.

5 books, each self-contained, but building on the previous ones. Think of a futuristic James Bond.

The books aren't serious SF but out and out space opera entertainment, with big guns, battles, insane tech, smartarse AI and some very final fates for villains.

Book 1 is Gridlinked: Ever consider how much energy is released by transporatation and what sort of bomb could be made with it? Well....

19. Wookie_Shampoo

Wookie_Shampoo Jedi Youngling

Apr 6, 2010
    Sorry, I know this is an old thread but...

Are you familiar with the work of Peter F. Hamilton? Fantastic space opera with great descriptions, dry British humor, suspense, good characters etc. I started with the Night's Dawn Trilogy which is still my favorite, but the Commonwealth series is good too and I think he's working on a third series.

One warning: It's not as "heavy" as Dune, but does have tons of characters and planets to keep track of.

I've also, *ahem*, written a book myself.

20. Jedi Ben

Jedi Ben Chosen One star 9

Jul 19, 1999
    Oh, quite a few of us like Hamilton.

The final Void book is due later this year entitled The Evolutionary Void, which I'm looking forward to. Night's Dawn was great but I do enjoy the Commonwealth books. I especially like the humour, like the penalty for "shotgunning" junk across the net.

A more recent acquisition was Gary Gibson's Stealing Light, which is bk 1 of a trilogy, I've yet to start Bk 2, Nova War. The finale Empire of Light is also due later in the year.

21. violent-poetry

violent-poetry Jedi Youngling star 1

May 19, 2010
    the merrimack series by rebecca meluch is pretty awesome, there are 4 of them. i am posting a link that has excerpts

http://www.rmmeluch.com/index.html

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.