Cursed Sport Teams

Discussion in 'Archive: The Arena' started by JediMaster1511, Aug 6, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. JediMaster1511 Jedi Grand Master

star 10
    Curses have been apart of sports for a long time. Many teams have been cosidered cursed for decades and even a century. So what teams do you think are cursed and why.

I think the New York Jets fall into the "cursed" catagory. In 1968, Hall of Fame quarterback Joe Namath made a bold prediction for the Super Bowl. Claiming the underdog New York Jets were going to win by guaranteeing it. They went on the defeat the Baltimore Colts in what was considered an "upset." That was the first and only Super Bowl the Jets have been to. They spent the next many years falling short, including a 1 win season under coach Rich Kotite. In 1999, they went to the AFC Championship game to lose. The local guy Vinny Testaverde, who was praised for never getting hurt, was injured early the next season. They aquired Brett Favre in the hopes of winning it all. However, after startin 8-3, they fell to 9-7 for the year missing the playoffs. Favre went on to the Vikings to have one of the best seasons of his carrer afterwards. Now last season the Jets went to the AFC to fall short after rookie running back Shonn Greene was injured at half, taking away the Jets primary offensive weapon of the postseason. Many fans utter the phrase "Same old Jets." They have made many aquisitions in the off-seasons, making expectations high. But still many fans worry, crying out "They're setting us up for the kill!"

So what teams do you think are cursed and why.
  2. KnightWriter Administrator Emeritus

star 9
    The Phoenix Suns.

The Jets' history (which includes a Super Bowl title) is nothing compared to the long history of heartbreak Suns fans have experienced. I think only Cleveland area fans can fully compare. Cubs fans are out, because they have the Bulls and the Blackhawks, along with the Bears.
  3. KenKenobi Jedi Master

star 6
  4. Boba_Fett_2001 Force Ghost

star 8
    Initially I obviously wanted to say the Leafs but they've really only been cursed by bad ownership.
  5. DT421 Jedi Master

star 5
    No one is talking about fans - it's about teams and the Cubs are definitely up there.
  6. Juliet316 Force Ghost

star 8
    Don't tell that to Cubbies fans. :p

I'm going to go with the Detroit Lions as cursed. Any team that goes 0 - 16 has some kind of karma going against it.
  7. Jedi Gunny Yahtzee Host

Game Host
    star 9
    I agree about the Lions. They just can't get it together.
  8. Rogue...Jedi Administrator Emeritus

star 7
    Chicago as a city isn't cursed, no. The Cubs themselves, on the other hand, most definitely are.

Also, what KenKenobi said.
  9. DarthTunick SfC Part III Commissioner

Game Host
    star 10
    The Los Angeles Clippers. 2 winning seasons since moving here to La La Land in 1984, and only 4 more others in the history of the franchise in Buffalo and San Diego.

Back-to-Back!: 2008-2009 & 2009-2010 L.A. Lakers: World Champions:cool:
  10. RX_Sith C&G Game Host and SFTC Winner

Game Host
    star 5
    America's Most Miserable Sports Cities

(from Forbes.com)

No. 1 Seattle
    Teams: Mariners, Seahawks, Sonics
    Championship round losses: 3
    Semifinal round losses: 7
    Total seasons/championships: 109/1
    Years since last title: 31
    Teams lost: Sonics
    We're not counting the one-year run of baseball's Seattle Pilots, who split for Milwaukee in 1970 in an essentially pre-arranged deal. The city is still looking for its first MLB and NFL titles, while having to endure the sight of young NBA superstar Kevin Durant do his thing in Oklahoma City, which lured the Sonics with a sweet arena deal two years ago.

Seattle's future definitely looks glum as far as overall terribleness.

Forbes has Atlanta at No. 2; Phoenix at No. 3; Buffalo at No. 4; San Diego at No. 5; Cleveland at No. 6; Washington, D.C. at No. 7; Kansas City at No. 8; Minneapolis-St. Paul at No. 9; and Houston at No. 10. />
  11. xblackout Jedi Master

star 4
  12. MarcusP2 Games and Community Reaper

Manager
    star 6
    St Kilda Saints and Western Bulldogs.
  13. Darth_Furio SFTC Winner

star 8
    That is still a curse.

The Yankees are cursed as well. Cursed with ooddles and oodles of dollars they don't know what to spend on. :p
  14. JediMaster1511 Jedi Grand Master

star 10

That's a curse on the rest of the MLB teams.:p
  15. rechedelphar Jedi Master

star 6
    Does the Chicken curse set by the great Gov.Tillman still exist?
  16. JediMaster1511 Jedi Grand Master

star 10
    Is it to early to count the Mets?:p Especially after that whole K-Rod incident.
  17. Darth_Furio SFTC Winner

star 8
    Sad state of affairs that is. 8-}
  18. tom Force Ghost

star 6

i don't have a problem with seattle at number 1, i've been there for a lot of the heartache. but cleveland at number six pretty much invalidates this list. />
  19. Boba_Fett_2001 Force Ghost

star 8
  20. Jedi Gunny Yahtzee Host

Game Host
    star 9
    I would say the Washington Senators, but they lose in a designed way.
  21. Darth McClain Manager Emeritus

star 6
    Yep, they got cursed for leaving Montreal. :p
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.