main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Custom Board

Discussion in 'Archive: Daytona Beach, FL' started by Q99213, Mar 17, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Q99213

Q99213 Jedi Padawan star 4

Nov 3, 2001
    Hey all, here is the place to post your ideas/pics for our new custom board. We can change the colors and banner settings, so start thinking!

2. Q99213

Nov 3, 2001
    Oh yeah, if you need a pic hosted, just e-mail it to me and I'll upload it to the site and display it in this thread :)

3. Q99213

Nov 3, 2001
    Hey all, my buddy Jack is willing to pose as a Surfin' Trooper :D

4. Q99213

Nov 3, 2001
    Hey all, I've just updated the banner on the webiste, so let me know what you think. I am probably going to make the board banner and the web banner the same just to add some continuity. I'm also thinking of adding sandtroopers to the banner, but I would like to put pics of members in costume on the side banner. :)

Edit: I'm noticing a large amount of Thrawn's over there :p

5. Q99213

Nov 3, 2001
    Daytona Beachtroopers custom board v1.0, coming soon ;)

6. Commander_Clone

Commander_Clone Jedi Youngling star 1

May 26, 2002
    I think its great! Way to go Q!

More sandtroopers? That seems to me to be all that we have up there, but I'm all for that. Maybe a surfing pic instead of the helmet though. I'm not sure people outside our group are going to get it.

7. Q99213

Nov 3, 2001
    Thanks Cmdr!

I have Clonetroopers and Jedi on the reply page, and I don't know what I want to do wthe the sidebar yet. If you have any ideas feel free to PM me.

I just wanted to get something up and I had no HW yesterday. I fixed the banner and the color issues, so it's in the hands of the Powers That Be now...

8. LianaMara

LianaMara Jedi Grand Master star 4

Oct 30, 2000
    Wow! I really like the custom board, Q9! However, I do think that the top banner could use a surfing trooper somewhere on it, just to tie it back into the "beachtrooper" theme. ;)

If you want, I can still work at designing a logo for the beachtroopers. :)

9. Jayna

Jayna Jedi Padawan star 4

Apr 19, 2002
    We're all kinda working on our own renditions of a logo. We've got a Jack who's going to suit up in armour and take some surfing pictures this weekend. I know Lady E and I plan on trying our hand at drawing up something based off of that and I think Q wants to play with the picture a bit. If you want copies of the pictures of Jack that we end up taking, we can send them to you to play with also.

Are you going to be able to join us this weekend, LianaMara?

10. Q99213

Nov 3, 2001
    Thanks :) I left a space open for just such a Trooper Liana ;) If you come up with anything, shoot me an e-mail and I can photoshop it and get it on the website :D

11. Q99213

Nov 3, 2001
    Ok, well the color changes/banner adjustment didn't seem to have the desired effect *sigh* I think I'm about to go Darkside on FanForce.net :mad:

12. AceHoly

AceHoly Jedi Youngling star 1

Mar 6, 2003
    I have a custom cartoon of a scout trooper riding on a surf/hover board that we can use.

Also - the compression on the pics you're using is pretty severe. If you want, I've got pretty decent photoshop skills, and I can redo them brighter and much sharper.

As an example (and here I go lifting the curtain) if you go to http://www.thefarce.net, I did pretty much every picture, banner and graphic there.

This should generate a response or two, I'm guessing.

13. Q99213

Nov 3, 2001
    He's ALIVE! Yeah man, feel free to alter any pic and e-mail it too me and I'll check it out. I don't see anything wrong, so what were you refering to specifically??

14. AceHoly

Mar 6, 2003
    For example, the pic at the top is sort of pixelly - the name "Daytona Beachtroopers" is washed out and not very sharp. The background behind the cut-out stormtroopers could be brighter and maybe have some clouds... lots of subtle, little things so the pic doesn't look like graphics cut out from other pictures and pasted there.

Not meaning to be overly critical, but graphic arts is one of the things I supervise where I work. Look around the edges of the text in your graphics and you can see how the compression is very pixelated. Also, the graphics are very blurry - not sharp and crisp.

I would recommend a program called cyberview image to do .jpg compression - it is very sweet.

Not trying to be a Firehoser, just offering suggestions.

Sorry I haven't been around, but immmediately after I last said "Sure, I'll be there this weekend" I had a cargo-hold full of work dropped on my desk.

If you want, shoot me the original pics you used to create your banners and I can show you what I mean.

15. Jayna

Apr 19, 2002
    Very cool, Ace! I'd love to see what all you can do!

TheFarce.net thing was very amusing by the way. I had never heard of it!

16. Q99213

Nov 3, 2001
    Hey man, I don't mind :) I've noticed everything you mentioned, just didn't know/have to fix the things I do know, so now that I have my computer back up I'll go ahead and send you the .psp files.

17. AceHoly

Mar 6, 2003
    >>so now that I have my computer back up I'll go ahead and send you the .psp files.<<

You use Paint Shop Pro? That was the first PC program I used for graphics - it's a sweet, inexpensive little program from JASC. Much easier to break into than Photoshop, which has a monster learning curve.

18. Q99213

Nov 3, 2001
    My bad, I meant .PSD :p I used paint shop pro in high school, but I like photoshop a lot better. I'll get those sent out now.

19. Q99213

Nov 3, 2001
    Hey jack, are you still having a problem witht he dewback? Lemme know. I still have a little trimming to do on the dewback, but it's good for now. I also need to work on that side banner, so I'm taking ideas!
    'Don't worry, she'll hold together.' ;)

20. Q99213

Nov 3, 2001
    Ok, well as you can see I was bored today and decided to finally do something with the sidebar and add the pics of Jackdoud. I still need something for the top there and maybe some stuff for the side. I was thinking a nice curl or something. Feel free to give ideas :)

21. Jayna

Apr 19, 2002
    What you had up there looked good- but I can't see anything but black now. What happened?!?!?

Is there any way you can continue the sidebar further down the page- or maybe even just do a fade to black? It has just been looking like it just stops at a certain point on the page.

22. Q99213

Nov 3, 2001
    Yeah, it appears that the server that hosts the images is down now. I can't extend the sidebar, but I did fade it yesterday. Too bad ya can't see it :(

23. Jayna

Apr 19, 2002
    Weird. It's only on our board too. I hope it comes back. It looks all sad with nothing up there. :(

24. Q99213

Nov 3, 2001
    Yeah, it's the Road Runner acount that I use for the website that's down. I don't know when it'll be back up. Gives me more incentive to get my own Linux Server set up though :p

25. Q99213

Nov 3, 2001
    Graphics are back up :)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.