main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Custom Icons Submission Thread Version 2.0

Discussion in 'Communications' started by Bria, Apr 14, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. AdamBertocci

AdamBertocci Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Feb 3, 2002
    Bria - I'd thought of that but completely forgot to mention it. :eek: Thanks so much.

Rick McCallum loves you!

2. Ben Kenobi

Ben Kenobi Jedi Grand Master star 5

Mar 27, 2000
    What was the criteria for selecting what icons could go?

Dart throwing, probably. ;)

3. Ben_Skywalker

Ben_Skywalker Jedi Grand Master star 5

May 20, 2001
    Noooooooo!!!

I like my icon! :_| You'll never take it away from me! [face_mischief] :(

4. ReaperFett

ReaperFett Jedi Knight star 6

Dec 9, 1999
    Holiday Special Boba gone :(

THE LEIA/HAN KISS? gone :(

YOU'RE DUMPING JACEN AND JAINA? They're popular!

AND SHIRA! :(

the Jacen and Jaina FC icons are near wiped :(

5. Emilie

Emilie Jedi Youngling star 3

Apr 5, 2002
    I don't undertsand.
    WHY taking icons away?

6. PrinceXizor

PrinceXizor Former TF.N Foreign Book Cover Staff star 5 VIP

Jul 4, 2001
    Okay, I don't know if my opinion still matters now that I stopped making icons, but I had a look at those icons that will be removed and I have a few comments.

It's all on a lil' page I made here. Please Kadue and Lord Bane, read it. All the icons from your selection I didn't list on my page I consider OK for removal.

Xizor's Icons / Iconmaking Tutorial

7. RedLord

RedLord Jedi Grand Master star 6

Dec 3, 2000
    I don't understand, either.
    WHY taking icons away?

And why asking for new icons or regional ones, if you must get some others away.

CELEBRATE DIVERSITY!

8. ReaperFett

Dec 9, 1999
    Considering Jaina and Jacen are two of the major characters in the EU these days, why do we need to remove them? I see both used quite a lot.

9. Emperor_Dan

Emperor_Dan Jedi Padawan star 4

Aug 21, 1999
    I'm seeing a lot of icons that people do use there, and they're also good icons! Maybe we could fix up these icons a little to keep them?

10. Kadue

Kadue Jedi Knight star 5

Jun 20, 2000
    Okay, the reason we're removing some is because of server space, and board loading times, along with the fact that we have just way too many icons.

The main criteria used was multiples of charcters and shots, and icons that had a lower grade quality to them.

But I'm more than open to hearing suggestions about icons to keep and cull. These are all things that you guys helped bring to the boards, so what you say matters. There are 138 icons that are on my page, so I'm not adverse to keeping some that are shown. Doing it in the fashion that Adam or Xizor did is nice since it makes it easy to know which icons you are talking about.

I want to keep our icon count hanging around 450-500 at most, so this won't be the only time that icons will be removed. Some will be put up with the intent that they will disappear further down the track. It also will help to keep things fresh.

Now, I'm planning on doing the changes this Sunday, so if you want to give your opinions, put them together in one post, and I'll go through and consider it all.

11. Emperor_Dan

Emperor_Dan Jedi Padawan star 4

Aug 21, 1999
    Ok, thanks Kadue. I'll be doing that this afternoon.

12. ReaperFett

Dec 9, 1999
    Row by row :)

ROW 1
    Wouldnt losing Ackbar mean there isnt an Ackbar left?

ROW 2
    -

ROW 3
    Holiday Special should be remembered with Boba :)

ROW 4
    Shocked Maul is a great icon

ROW 5
    Dooku looks a very well made icon, very clear

ROW 6
    -

ROW 7
    THe Han/Leia kiss is a BEAUTIFUL icon. Also, you remove 4 Han, leaving one where is is totally covered and a shocked Han(more of a humour thing)

ROW 8
    Poor Hobbie :(

Jabba looks great, and to remove Jacen is daft, IMO. He's one of the key figures of the present EU, and we leave the icon that looks like a duck. Unless you're thinking of adding a Traitor icon, I think they should both stay, or at least remove the Jacen duck icon.

ROW 9
    Jaina was with us from the off. One of our oldest members uses that icon. ANd again, a key figure. Why cant we keep 2?

Also, the Jawa looks great IMO

ROW 10
    -

ROW 11
    -

ROW 12
    I like the Ree Yees Pod Racer one

ROW 13
    The NJO Luke/Han icons show a more weathered look at two old favourites

ROW 14
    We cant lose the only TPM Obi, can we?

ROW 15
    The third Padmé(grass background) is a stunning icon, really showing her beauty. And the Palpatine one shows him well also

ROW 16
    -

ROW 17
    -

ROW 18
    SHira/Vader is one of a VERY small number of Marvel icons. Crumb is good, maybe needs a bit of tweaking. Slave Leia is a piece of SW legend, known by all. It NEEDS an icon IMO

ROW 19
    Tahiri is an oft used and good icon

ROW 20
    The EMperors guard is an oft used and good looking icon

ROW 21
    -

ROW 22
    -

ROW 23
    DONT REMOVE THE HANDMAIDEN! I love that icon

13. ReaperFett

Dec 9, 1999
    Course, no chance of my Kyp icon making it then :(

14. JediJSolo

JediJSolo Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jun 11, 2001
    RF, as long as another Jacen icon takes his place (preferable one made from the Traitor cover) the Jacen fans should be happy. I?ve only seen two posters using that icon (two more than I?ve seen using Vornskr or Reek), but that?s all, so I understand the need to get rid of it.

I disagree with Xizor about getting rid of the second Jaina icon instead. That icon is even more popular than the first Jaina icon (in Lit and EUC, anyway). I believe that we should keep both.

The icons I was speaking of earlier can be found here. I haven?t seen the Reek of the Vornskr icons used. I believe they are much more worthy of being deleted than Jaina and Tahiri.

15. PrinceXizor

PrinceXizor Former TF.N Foreign Book Cover Staff star 5 VIP

Jul 4, 2001
    I've seen the Reek used more than once. YOu're right about the Vornskr, though. And remember the Reek will be in AotC, so most likely more used after the release of the movie.

As for the Jaina, I'd like to keep them both as well. But if one MUST go, then I'd choose the one I did (the DJ one).

And Kadue... "Because of server space"... Hum... Let's see. Each icon is about 2.5ko... 2.5 * 500 = 1.25 Mo !!! Even if there were 1000 icons, that is 2.5 Mo, that wouldn't be much. Wow, a lot of server space used !!! ;) :p No, seriously, you can't say you remove some icons for server space. :) Your other reasons are valid, though.

16. boushh2187

boushh2187 Jedi Padawan star 4

Jul 16, 1999
    Thanks for letting us post our reasons for keeping icons, Kadue. :)

Icons I'd like to see kept are as follows:

Row 1: The Anakin/Padme about to kiss.

Row 2: I like the Padme one but there are quite afew around. The arena one I've seen quite alot on the boards...

Row 3: ---
    Row 4: ---
    Row 5: ---

Row 6: Anakin smiling. He looks very cute and it's good to see him cheery rather than angry, evil or serious. Anakin with the lightsaber. I see this one *alot* and it is ver cool.

Row 7: The Han/Leia kiss needs to stay. The first Han and Leia icon could go IMO instead. I'm talking about the one where they are facing away from each other and Han a looks really angry. The icon you've chose to remove is clear, colorful and part of a classic scene. I was using this one for quite a while myself. I would also like to see the Han one that follows it stay. Why get rid of so many Han's? Keep that one and get rid of the Hoth one like someone else suggested. It is hard to see his face in the Hoth gear.

Row 8: Vanity Fair Obi-Wan is just way too cool. And Jacen is a popular and important Lit. character. Unless we replace this one with a Traitor icon where he looks older, I really see no need to remove it.

Row 9: Jaina, who is again a very popular character and it's a good icon. I want to see both Jaina's stay. This young version and the older NJO version.

Row 10: Leia in the Falcon looking miffed.

Row 11: --
    Row 12: --

Row 13: Han and Luke from the NJO. I think these are both very good, clear and colorful icons. I like the ones made from artwork and these are exceptional. It would also be nice to see some representation of our favorite characters a few years down the road from the films.

Row 14: If TPM Obi-Wan gets the ax then I would really like to see it replaced with another TPM Obi-Wan. There aren't many of him. Is this even the only one? :eek:

Row 15: I see the Palpatine icon used a lot.

Row 16: The meadow picnic is just really neat. It's not just a character icon it's a scene icon and you can actually tell what it is. Very neat, IMO.

Row 17: Qui-Gon needs to stay. If you need to get rid of a Qui-Gon get rid of the one that you are keeping. This one is much nicer. And the funeral pyer is also a very neat icon. I like it for the same reasons as the meadow picnic above.

Row 18: Salacious because AdamB. seems so traumatized. ;)

Row 19: Tahiri. Again, she's a very popular character and a pretty popular icon. I see no reason to remove this one.

Row 20: --

Row 21: I'm upset that there won't be a good shot of young Anakin left, but I suppose we could find a better one if it has to go. :(

Row 22: Vader over the red background.

Row 23: Why get rid of another handmaiden icon when there is so much demand for them?

17. Theron

Theron Jedi Master star 4

Oct 23, 2000
    7 new icons What you think.

As for the icons that are being deleted I see some here and there that I would like kept. But it really doesn't matter to me.

I see a bunch of mine that are going the way of the Dodo, but like I like to say " Oh well". Only one of mine that I would like to see stay is Hobbie Klivan.

18. Rebecca191

Rebecca191 Jedi Grand Master star 6

Nov 2, 1999
    Please keep my Jaina Icon!!!

:(

19. AdamBertocci

AdamBertocci Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Feb 3, 2002
    Okay... I've had a day to think it over... here is the
    OFFICIAL ADAM BERTOCCI ICON OPINION POST
    which states my ideas in a more organized fashion. It also makes a case to save fewer and delete more, so as to establish "compromise".

Please Keep!
    ROW 1: Angry Anakin, A/P kiss. They are popular.
    ROW 4: Clones (they look great) and Maul (popular)
    ROW 5: Vader being shocked, just 'cause it looks cool.
    ROW 6: Anakin with lightsaber.
    ROW 7: Han/Leia kiss and the Han to its immediate right.
    ROW 8: Obi-Wan. It's the best AOTC Obi yet.
    ROW 10: Obviously I would love to keep all the Leias, but at the least, spare the white headdress.
    ROW 14: Young Obi-Wan, Oppo Rancisis. I don't think there are are other versions of those characters.
    ROW 15: Padme in blue, Padme w/gun, Palpy.
    ROW 17: Pyre.
    ROW 18: SALACIOUS CRUMB, Slave Leia. These are reeeeal important to me, though I realize I'm only one guy.
    ROW 22: Vader against red.

Delete
    Podracer pilots
    Penny Arcade
    Duality
    Badly drawn cartoon Thrawn
    Celebration (after the event)
    Blue Twi'lek girl (not Aayla, the other one)
    Han & Coke (what the heck was that supposed to be?)
    Han in Hoth gear w/ face shrouded
    Jawa against white background
    Ki-Adi against Jedi Temple background
    Kitster
    NSync
    Endor Shield Generator
    (Now going through icon listing alphabetically...)
    Ackbar against Rebel logo
    Anakin w/ Vader helmet in background
    Anakin w/ weird blue lines in background
    AT-ST
    Clonetoon
    Darth Bane (cartoon)
    Death Star 2 Reactor Core
    Empire (the first one)
    Shira Brie
    Stormtoon
    Teebo (it doesn't look like anything!)
    Vornskr

If I have been unclear about anything in the above list please post, or PM me, and I will try to explain better.

Rick McCallum loves you!

20. Sologal

Sologal Jedi Grand Master star 4

Aug 21, 2000
    I must protest. You're doing away with the Han and Leia icon I use. You can't delete their first kiss. ;) I think it would be preferable to delete the one where they look angry. Please keep the ESB Han and Leia kiss. :)

Row 7 - Also you're deleting the best Han icons. The two to the right and left of the H/L ESB kiss would be preferable to the paniked Han and the ESB Han with the hood. He's too good looking to hide his face.

Row 10 - I think the Leia icon in her senatorial gown should stay also.

Row 12 - I'd also like to see you keep the NJO Han and Luke

21. LanceJade

LanceJade Jedi Padawan star 4

Mar 26, 2001
    Here is my Grand Admiral Thrawn icon.

[image=http://i.dslr.net/avatars/264002.gif]

Just thought I'd toss it into the mix. :)

22. Obischick

Obischick Jedi Grand Master star 4

Aug 25, 2001
    Okay, I have to do this. Here is my list of icons that should not go that are on your list.

Row One:

Angry Anakin
    Padmé and Anakin almost kiss

Row Two:

Padmé

Row Three:

--

Row Four:

--

Row Five:

Angry Anakin

Row Six:

ESB Han
    Han and Leia Kiss
    ANH Han (the one with the light blue background)

Row Seven:

VF Obi-Wan

Row Eight:

Jaina
    Jan Ors

Row Nine:

Leia in Senatorial Gown. (How could you get rid of my HEAD?????)

Row Ten:

--

Row Eleven:

--

Row Tweleve:

--

Row Thirteen:

Young Obi-Wan

Row Fourteen:

Padmé in blue
    VF Padmé

Row Fifteen:

Plo Koon

Row Sixteen:

Sabé
    Saché
    (If you get rid of the Handmaidens, I swear the Royal Handmaiden Society will come down here and make ourselves be heard.)

Row Seventeen:

--

Row Eighteen:

Tahiri

Row Nineteen:

--

Row Twenty:

--

Row Twenty-one:

Vader siluette against blue
    Vader against red

Row Twenty-two:

Yané
    (again, the RHS will come over here and make lots of noise.)

*Goes back to lurking*

~Obischick

23. Obi Anne

Obi Anne Celebration Mistress of Ceremonies star 8 Staff Member Manager

Nov 4, 1998
    I think the Han and coke was made because they wanted to use that pic of Han, but Cleo didn't want to have any icons with guns, so they replaced it with a coke instead, or something like that.

24. ganner_rhysode

ganner_rhysode Jedi Padawan star 4

Jul 7, 2001
    Please please please don't delete the Jaina YJK icon! :(

25. Jedi_Laura_Kenobi

Jedi_Laura_Kenobi Jedi Master star 5

Jul 23, 2001
    Row 15

Padme with Gun

I'd love it if this icon could stay! :) I really like it!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.