main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Custom Icons Submission Thread Version 2.0

Discussion in 'Communications' started by Bria, Apr 14, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Bria

Bria Manager Emeritus, -MNFF Council star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 15, 1999
    Real people icons:

I made the lighter Natalie icon, and I really wouldn't mind seeing it go. It was one of my earlier icons and the other Natalie is better, IMHO. Then again, I have seen several people use it, which I can't say for the darker Natalie icon. I saw it a lot at first, but I can't recall the last time I saw it used. ?[face_plain] Anyway, I'd still remove mine over the darker one. :)

On Hayden: I'm not against mine going, but I think that if it does, a new Hayden should go up in his place.

I also think that Michonne Bourriague would be good to go. There are no icons of Ewan, Harrison, or Carrie, yet we have an icon of a women who turned her head? That really doesn't make much sense...

On Anthony Daniels and David Prowse: I'm not saying that they aren't used, but I know that I have not see them used. I also think that angle on the icons is sort of odd... could different ones be used? Has anybody made icons of them?

On the handmaidens: There are 5 handmaidens (and a standmaiden) in TPM. I don't like the idea of any handmaidens going, but if two really must, here's my suggestion: Remove a Sabé (my choice would be the first one because of icon quality), Eirtaé, and Rabé. Then upload kreleia's Rabé and Eirtaé icons. That way we have more diversity: battle dress, the red flame gown, the green gown, and the yellow gown. :D

I also think that my Yoda/Dagobah and Jawa/Tatooine icons should be kept. I know of people that use both at it corresponds with their user name. I just really like the idea of planets and by themselves it's kind of bland, but when you put a characer with it, it really looks good. :) Oh and we only have one OT Yoda...

Random stuff: On EU characters, I think it might be best if we have no more than one icon of any given character (with perhaps exception to the *majors*: The Solo kids, Mara Jade, etc). That way we can represent more of the EU. There are two Darth Banes and 2 Nom Anor...

~*~Bria

2. ReaperFett

ReaperFett Jedi Knight star 6

Dec 9, 1999
    Random stuff: On EU characters, I think it might be best if we have no more than one icon of any given character (with perhaps exception to the *majors*: The Solo kids, Mara Jade, etc). That way we can represent more of the EU. There are two Darth Banes and 2 Nom Anor...

Domt say that! :)

3. Bria

May 15, 1999
    Why? I think it would be good. :) It gives icons like yours or mine more chance of staying. :D

We don't really need two Darth Bane's or two Nom Anors... a Thrawn and a Vong are already on the list, probably for that reason. ;)

~*~Bria

4. ReaperFett

Dec 9, 1999
    It gives icons like yours or mine more chance of staying.

Not when nearly all mine are EU repetitions :)

5. Bria

May 15, 1999
    Oh! I gotcha. I meant the ones you and I are using on the board. Not all of the icons I've made (though by far I've made the most EU, but anyway I digress...). ;)

I was just looking at 'main character' icons, and thought I'd point out how uneven everything is... Young Obi-Wan, Anakin, and Han all get cut rather severly...

Here's what we've got and what's on the list to go (things in parenthesis are my own notes describing the icon):

Padmé Amidala:
    Amidala (TPM celebration)
    Padme (TPM battle dress)
    Queen Amidala(thrown room)
    Queen Amidala - Senate
    Episode II Padmé
    Padme (blue dress by lake)
    Padme (FL green)
    Padme - AotC (Senate)
    Padme - Blue (travel?)*****
    Padmé - Episode II (white outfit)
    Padme - Picnic
    Padme - VF *****
    Padmé Amidala (Breathing trailer)*****
    Padmé with Gun*****
    = 3 TPM, six AOTC Padmé's remain for a total of 9 icons (not including combos)

Anakin Skywalker:

Anakin's Shadow
    Ani
    Ani Racer*****
    Anakin (scowl)
    Anakin (laughing in FL) *****
    Anakin (with blue saber)*****
    Anakin Ep2 (with vader behind)*****
    Anakin Laughing (FL)
    Anakin Skywalker (framed)
    Anakin Skywalker (select image) *****
    Angry Anakin*****
    =2 TPM, 2 AOTC remain for a total of 4 icons (not including combos)

Obi-Wan Kenobi:
    Obi - Rainy Holo
    Obi-Wan (TPM)*****
    Obi-Wan (hooded)
    Obi-Wan Kenobi (hanging)*****
    Obi-Wan Kenobi (blue circle behind him)*****
    Obi-Wan Kenobi - VF *****
    = NO TPM, 2 AOTC remain for a total of two 'young' Obi-Wan Kenobi icons

Han Solo:

Han (ANH)*****
    Han (face) *****
    Han (ESB) *****
    Han & Coke *****
    Han on Hoth
    Han's panicked
    Stormin' Han Solo
    NJO Han*****
    = 3 Han's would remain, including the two thought by most to be the 'worst' (not including combos)

Princess Leia:
    Bespin Leia
    Leia (ANH Celebration)
    Leia (Bun hair do)
    Leia (ROTJ side profile)
    Leia (ROTJ) *****
    Leia - Happy Times
    Leia on Hoth *****
    Leia Organa (ROTJ)
    Leia Organa 2 (hooded ANH) *****
    Slave Leia *****
    =would leave 6 Princess Leia (not including combos)

Obi-Wan Kenobi OT:
    Ben Kenobi (blue back)*****
    Obi Wan (ANH)
    Obi Wan Kenobi (comicy)*****
    Obi-Wan: Hoth
    Old Ben (duel with Vader)*****
    Old Ben (with blue lightsaber)
    Old Ben - Profile
    Old Ben Ghost *****
    Old Ben in Swamp *****
    = 5 'Old' Obi-Wan Kenobis

Luke Skywalker:
    Luke (Dagobah swamp)
    Luke (ANH/gun)*****
    Luke - Tatooine Suns *****
    Luke defeated (ESB duel)
    Luke Skywalker (Rebel)*****
    Luke Skywalker (Hoth)
    Luke Skywalker (XWing)*****
    Stormin' Luke Skywalker
    The Cave's Vision
    NJO Luke *****
    = 5 Luke Skywalkers (not including combos)

Icons with **** are on the list to go

~*~Bria

6. Ben Kenobi

Ben Kenobi Jedi Grand Master star 5

Mar 27, 2000
    My opinions on the young Obi-Wan icons:
    • Hanging Obi-Wan can go. It's very dark, and what we can see of him doesn't even make it ver clear what's happening to him. He could be cheering with his arms raised, for instance, and you couldn't neccesarily tell the difference.
    • TPM Obi-Wan should stay unless it's replaced with another one, possibly in a better pose.
    • The two hooded ones have the same points going for and against them, basically. The concept of him with a hood on shows his contemplative side, which is important for a Jedi. One of them should stay, because then it is possible for a member to show that they like the contemplative side. Of the two, I'd say the VF shot.
    • The "What are you looking at?" picture can go, the way I see it. The strip of blue jukebox color in the background is odd, and if I remember correctly that was one of the first AOTC Obi-Wan icons, meaning that it was uploaded more because of it's subject than of it's quality.
    • The rainy holo icon is a little awkward perspective wise. You can't quite tell if the holo is right up against the glow panels or if it is out in front a little. Also, if you didn't know the trailer, you wouldn't be able to tell right off that it was him. He's also off center for some reason; the glowpanels dont add a lot to the effect.

So, according to Bria's count, we are losing 3 of the 5 young Obi-Wans. I hope that means we can expect to see some of them in the upcoming upload, and there are some really nice ones out there. :)

7. FaLLeN-AnGeL

FaLLeN-AnGeL Jedi Padawan star 4

Dec 3, 2001
    Please please save the icon I use...

[image=http://www1.theforce.net/icons/publicicons/ElectroVader.gif]

8. SoulKrusher

SoulKrusher Jedi Padawan star 4

Nov 25, 2000
    Please also save the icon I use:

[image=http://www1.theforce.net/icons/publicicons/HoodedObi-Wan.gif]

9. Ben_Skywalker

Ben_Skywalker Jedi Grand Master star 5

May 20, 2001
    Also the one I use.

Its the only Senator Palpatine icon on the boards. I thought icons were about variety...

10. Vaderbait

Vaderbait Jedi Knight star 6

Sep 26, 2001
    You cannot delete my icon! Isn't it good to have a different icon than the boring and typical Luke, Leia, Anakin, etc.? For us "unique" people, we should have a unique icon, and Salacious Crumb is where that is at!!!!!

Save Salacious!

11. Kadue

Kadue Jedi Knight star 5

Jun 20, 2000
    Okay, been through all the suggestions that people have given me, and here's my almost final verdict, pending actually playing around with the folders of icons on my computer and seeing that I haven't just agreed to deleting only 5 icons. ;)

Row 1
    Acclimator Gunship - The quality of this one isn't all that great. It's hard to see most of the detail on the gunship, and the edges are jagged. But if someone has a better picture of it, I'd be willing to upload that.

Ackbar - We have two of him, and really, he is just a bit-part character, so we need to remove one and this is the lower quality one.

Ani/Padme kiss

Angry Ani - Willing to leave this one up.

Row 2
    Arena - There isn't much to this icon as it's mainly a sand centre, a stone wall, and black fuzz in the foreground.

Padme - We already have a large number of Padme's.

Row 3
    Boba Fett HS - Really, this is amongst the lowest quality of all the icons, plus we have already a few Boba's. Just because it's from the HS isn't a reason to keep it.

Row 4
    Clone Troopers - This can stay for now.

Shocked Maul - Sorry, but I have to disagree that it's a good icon. We have mulitple Maul's, and we do need to cut some. But I'm considering adding a different one to it's place.

Yoda - Not that great a pic, we still have 3 others on the boards.

Chewie - Has been suggested to swap this with one of the others, yet I believe this is the lowest of the lot as it's pretty plain.

Row 5
    Count Dooku - I need to take out at least one Dooku, so I'll take the suggested swap for the lightsabre one.

Electro Vader - Some people might really like this icon, but it's not obvious what it is until you know what it is. It's a mass of black with a bright swirl at the top. I originally took it for a bad map of the galaxy.

Angry Ani - Not that great, can go to make room for others.

Row 6
    Gran - I would like to have a Gran up, but this one is hard to see the details in. I'll upload a better one if someone has one.

Ani Smiling - We have two that are the same, one has to go. Upon review, the other one is grainier so it will go.

Ani with Lightsabre - Willing to leave this one up.

Row 7
    Han (positions 1 & 5) - I didn't realise the number of Han's we were cutting would leave so little up. I'll leave both of these two up.

Han/Leia Kiss - We already have one of the two kissing on Endor, plus the background drowns this out a bit.

Row 8
    VF Obi-Wan - We don't need two that are so similar, and the lighting on this is harsher that the other one.

Hobbie - I can live with leaving Hobbie there.

Jabba - We have multiple Jabba's, so we're just removing one. There are still two other varied shots of him.

Jacen - Yes, this one is going in favour of a Traitor one.

Row 9
    Jaina - I have no problem leaving this icon up.

Jawa - Never noticed that the other Jawa had a white background, will swap them around so that one goes.

Jan Ors - I can leave this one.

Row 10
    Jedi Starfighter - We don't really need two of these since we don't even have two X-wing ones. This one will go instead of the other one because the second one shows more of the ship.

Leia on Hoth - The contrast on this isn't all that good. There are better Leia icons.

Leia with white hood - No problem leaving this one.

Row 11

Row 12
    Mahownic - Not that great. We can find a better Gran.

Row 13
    Ki Aid Mundi - This one will go. Has been suggested to remove the other one, but the other is the better shot IMO.

NJO Han - These two can stay for now.
    NJO Luke

Row 14
    TPM Obi-Wan - No problem leaving him up.

Oppo Rancis - Really unclear. Looks like a ball of hair, and I haven't seen it used in quite a while.

Row 15
    Padme VF - It is a nice shot, but we have way too many Padme's, so some just have to go.

Palpatine - We have another version of him that is very similar, and this is of lower quality than it.

Padme in Blue - Padme will be the character with the largest number of icons even without this, so we can do without it.

Padme with gun - I really don't kno

12. Ben Kenobi

Mar 27, 2000
    Just because it's from the HS isn't a reason to keep it.

One of the best reasons to can it. ;)

We supposedly had a policy where we couldn't use a character one with a weapon.

Wouldn't Anakin and his lightsaber(and indeed Dooku with his, although that one's aready going) come under that heading?

13. ReaperFett

Dec 9, 1999
    Padme VF - It is a nice shot, but we have way too many Padme's, so some just have to go.

But it's the nicest looking one, aside from the Portman one! :)

14. Bria

May 15, 1999
    Ok. I think that looks *pretty* good.

I do have a question though on Yoda: You said that with the removal of this one there would be 3 Yoda icons... yet I only see AOTC Yoda under "Jedi Council" and Yoda under "Central Characters OT"... does this mean that the floating Yoda will be staying? Because if one of them stays, it doesn't make sense for it to be the one that is hard to identify. If I didn't know it was Yoda I never would've been able to tell as he's *very* hard to make out...

On the handmaidens: I hate to see any go, but if you're removing on in red/orange, I'd suggest Saché over Yané because the latter is bigger and you can see her face more.

~*~Bria

15. ReaperFett

Dec 9, 1999
    The bottom row Handmaiden is the best, IMO

16. Bria

May 15, 1999
    That would be Yané, ReaperFett. The one I suggested for keeping. ;)

Hehe... forgot to mention two things:

For slave Leia, Lobot_Omy has one... I think Prince Xizor might but I can't access his page at the moment.

On Padmé VF- I think that either [image=http://www1.theforce.net/icons/publicicons/ep2padme.gif] or [image=http://www1.theforce.net/icons/publicicons/aotcpadme4.gif] would be better choices... I don't see either used much (although I'll admit, I don't visit the Ep.2 boards) and one is in the same outfit, just without the hair wrap. I'd go with the latter as we have the outfit and hair piece in this icon:

[image=http://www1.theforce.net/icons/publicicons/padmeep2.gif]

Just some food for thought. ;)

~*~Bria

17. jango-joe1

jango-joe1 Jedi Padawan star 4

Apr 25, 2001
    Kardue,

First off have you even looked through these icons?or have you just picked them at random. Although I may not have an icon up on the board, I speak for everyone who has an icon up on that list. Yes, I can see getting rid of the grainy ones but some people have a mission to use one icon ever since they have been on?and now you plan to take that fun away from them. All I have to say is that you are a MEGALOMANIACAL little ****. How dare you do this to us.

EDIT: Watch your language!

18. Ben Kenobi

Mar 27, 2000
    I agree on this one.

[image=http://www1.theforce.net/icons/publicicons/aotcpadme4.gif]

EDIT: Umm, wow.

EDIT2: If you have a 'mission' to use just one icon, you need to re-adjust your priorities.

19. Theron

Theron Jedi Master star 4

Oct 23, 2000
    Wow somebody's angry.

Anyway I think the Death Star II should be replaced, it looks awefull to me.

4 new icons What you think.

20. Bria

May 15, 1999
    jango-joe1: Easy. Swearing at a mod isn't going to do anything but cause you headaches. :(

I'm an icon maker and personally, I agree that some icons have to go. I've even *suggested* it with some of mine. :)

Also, Kadue is not the only one making the decisions. Lord Bane and him went over the icons together and then let us know what they thought. They could've just deleted all the icons on that page and not consulted us. They didn't though. They were open to comments and suggestions and in many cases agreed to let many of the icons stay. I think this is pretty fair. :)

~*~Bria

21. Ben Kenobi

Mar 27, 2000
    Theron, I like the left-most Mawhonic. :)

22. jango-joe1

jango-joe1 Jedi Padawan star 4

Apr 25, 2001
    I know of other users that have one icon ever since that they have been on here and he has never changed it...and now it's on the list of icons to be removed. I like looking after my friends.

23. Ben Kenobi

Mar 27, 2000
    I don't think swearing at a mod did much for your cause.

24. Theron

Theron Jedi Master star 4

Oct 23, 2000
    I'm just wondering what icon is this?

25. AdamBertocci

AdamBertocci Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Feb 3, 2002
    If we HAVE to remove a Salacious, can we remove the green one? The yellow one looks better IMHO.

Rick McCallum loves you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.