main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Custom Icons submission thread

Discussion in 'Communications' started by Whimper, May 9, 2001.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Whimper

Whimper Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 11, 1999
    As per NathanDahlin's post @ Icons please submit your own icon creations for review by Nat and the mods. If they're good, there may be (just maybe) a chance that they become official icons here on the JC.

Regular User Icons must be 50 X 50 pixels in size, and be clear representations of Star Wars characters or insignias. Include in your post a description of the icon, and a hyper-link to the image.

When making Admin or City Rep Only icons, make sure the size is 60x50 (height by width) pixels.

Icons will be uploaded on a regular, monthly schedule. To find out which icons are under consideration, please go the The JC Icon Waiting Room. The first cut is the raw group of icons culled from over thirty artists' websites (as well as miscellaneous requests). The second cut is taken from the first and the third and final cut will be uploaded. Every icon on the aforementioned page will be uploaded in due time, but just because it makes it past the first cut one time, it doesn't mean it will automatically be in the second cut the next. When uploading, we look for diversity in the icons. Please keep this in mind.

The current Icon Manager is Lord Bane.

EDIT (Whimper): Because Nat's post is about 70 messages in, I'll quote it here for you:

[Disclaimer] I wrote this without consulting any other admins, but here's the deal as I see it:

We're adding new icons as much as possible, but it's a slow process. If you know of a character that you think would be a big hit (e.g. Mace Windu, Obi-Wan, Qui-Gon, etc.), just make your own icon in gif format...50 X 50 pixels in size and send me a URL to it. I'll then post it in the Admin-only forum for Nic to use.

The beauty of this is that you, my fellow JCers, may be able to be a part of the creation of these icons (and did I mention that it'll get you the icons you want a lot quicker? ). It'll be a bit of work, but as of right now I think the only person actively working on icons is Amy Pronovost (ArtyEwok) and we don't want her to shoulder all the burden.

Now, I don't think we'll be able to do personalized images (e.g. a picture of your face or pet), but if you want to make one that you'd be willing to share with hundreds of like-minded SW fans, more power to you!

Happy pic-making!

EDIT (2/21/02): Updated contact info; guidelines

2. Whimper

May 11, 1999
    MaxVeers has submitted his Imperial Officer icon in the other thread. Keep up the good work!

3. Whimper

May 11, 1999
    MaidenLumpé has posted links to these two Rebel Insignias: Here and here.

4. LostOnHoth

LostOnHoth Chosen One star 5

Feb 15, 2000
    Can someone point me to darthcleo's thread informing us of the closure of UBB codes?

5. NathanDahlin

NathanDahlin Administrator Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 28, 2000
    Thanks for the submissions, guys! I'll post them in the Admin-only forum. I really appreciate that you're condensing them in this thread. It makes our job much easier.

LostOnHoth, the UBB codes are closed in the JCC and Fan Art (because they mess up with pic-posting). Here's the thread you wanted : http://boards.theforce.net/message.asp?topic=2681984

6. GrandAdmiralPelleaon

GrandAdmiralPelleaon Jedi Grand Master star 6

Oct 28, 2000
    please insert the imperial officer please please please :)

7. ELEPHANT_MAN

ELEPHANT_MAN Jedi Youngling star 3

Jan 23, 2001
    [image=http://www.ephant-mon.cityslide.com/albums/edit_album_images.cfm/505344/27987.gif]

only I don't know how to make it smaller, any suggestions?

8. Mr. P

Mr. P FanFic Archive Editor, Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Apr 1, 2000
    Great idea for a thread. I'm not the artsy type, so I can't make new icons, though... these icons look real good.

--Mr. P :cool:

9. ArtyEwok

ArtyEwok LFL Artist star 4 VIP

Mar 18, 1999
    I'm redoing the rebel symbol icon tonight, and I'll do a fancy schamncy imperial one.

I also have some that I;'l be doing that are a sekrit for now, but you'll see them. ;)

I hope you like!

Amy - The reason the duros got an icon is that the key to a good icon is a good head shot. That one just stood out, hence it got iconed :)

10. AlphaWolf

AlphaWolf Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Feb 27, 2000
    great work Amy.

How about some ships?

11. ELEPHANT_MAN

Jan 23, 2001
    they look excellent amy. bit of a problem though, I love star wars but am a dunce when it comes to computers, I can't get the image that I want to show up on the boards, but I have finally managed to get it on to a web site

http://www.ephant-mon.cityslide.com/albums/album_thumbnails.cfm/505344/27987

has any one got any ideas as to how I can get it to show on the boards and hence put it forward for submission

12. C-3P0

C-3P0 Jedi Padawan star 4

Apr 20, 2001
    To anyone with artistic talent. Please create a C-3PO. We have R2-D2 and that's cool, but Goldenrod rocks.

:)

13. ArtyEwok

Mar 18, 1999
    I'm working on a 3po tonight..

and Ephant, hmm.. that's going to lose alot of detail when it's made to 50x50...

Amy

14. Herman Snerd

Herman Snerd Jedi Master star 6

Oct 31, 1999
    Is anybody working on a GONK icon?

15. ArtyEwok

Mar 18, 1999
    I have a gonk pic somewhere.. maybe I will.

I can only do so many at a time, but trust me, I am listewning to your ideas and taking notes! :D

http://www.flyingarmadillo.com/stuff/icons is where the icons go when I'm done them, so look there every couple of days in the evening (EST) :)

NathanDahlin's been sending me some photos.

Amy - Always sees NathanDahlin with a Zsa Zsa Gabor accent.. Oh Nathan, Daaahling.. ;)

16. ELEPHANT_MAN

Jan 23, 2001
    I'll keep searching for a smaller ephant

17. ArtyEwok

Mar 18, 1999
    You don't need a smaller ephant, you just need to go into an image editing program and do some jiggy jiggy with it.

The icons I made didn't happen with magic :D Nor did I find them that way.

Amy

18. ELEPHANT_MAN

Jan 23, 2001
    why, jiggy jiggy, of course why didn't I think of that, actually I've found some better pictures anyway and have made them smaller but what I'm having trouble with is putting it on to the web as just the picture and nothing else ie: what wimper did and not what I did, I know this is not a tutorial but any help given wold be greatly apreciated and may even help other people do their own image and not keep asskissing, I mean, asking you. thanks

19. MaxVeers

MaxVeers TFN FanFilms Staff, Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Apr 24, 2000
  20. Dark Lord of the Jedi

Dark Lord of the Jedi Jedi Grand Master star 5

Mar 5, 2000
  21. ELEPHANT_MAN

Jan 23, 2001
    I think I finally managed to do it, below are two pictures one a drawing of ephant mon and the other a photo.

photo

drawing

any thoughts

EDIT: nope they don't work, yet, I think I'm making myself look a bit stupid now, oh well, give me a bit longer

22. ArtyEwok

Mar 18, 1999
    MaxVeers: I love your imperial officer.

DLOTJ: The Millenium Falcon and C3PO are okay. but the star destroyer looks kind of bad with that lime green border. Two outta three ain't bad. ;)

Ephant: Without showing you directly, I really can't offer advice on how to do the icons. I slip into Zen mode when i do it. Total stream of conciousness stuff.

And you need photoshop. :)

Amy

23. Dark Lord of the Jedi

Dark Lord of the Jedi Jedi Grand Master star 5

Mar 5, 2000
    I changed the Star Destroyer to match the other 2, and it looks much better now.

and I do need Photoshop, but I don't have the cash for it. ;)

24. Mr. P

Mr. P FanFic Archive Editor, Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Apr 1, 2000
    I don't see a lime-green border around Dark Lord of the Jedi's star destroyer icon... I like 'em, DLOTJ.

--Mr. P :cool:

25. Whimper

May 11, 1999
    Looks like he fixed it, Mr. P.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.