Chatt, TN custom lightsaber

Discussion in 'South East Regional Discussion' started by Vesper2112, Oct 12, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Vesper2112 FF President & CR, Chattanooga, TN

Chapter Rep
    star 4
    Has any of you made a lightsaber? I tried a couple years ago. I borrowed a Dremel and made one from plumbing items and a vacuum cleaner hose that looked ok at the time. Heavily based on an Ep 1 Obi-Wan style. Nothing elaborate and it was off some instructions off the web (which I can't find now). Anyway, now that I look at it, I'm a little embarassed by it. The glue is showing, the cuts I made with the Dremel clearly shows I never used one before, the back piece (which was a faucet knob) broke off, etc.

So I decided to make a new one. I hope to have it done by Halloween, but if it doesn't look like I will, then I won't rush it. Right now I'm looking for plans off the internet. I found one set that doesn't require a Dremel and found some really nice ones that do. Not sure which way to go yet. Once I get to Lowe's and see what I can get (and how much it'll be) I'll go from there.

I was just wondering what anyone else here has tried. Any pics? Instructions? Tips?
  2. Layren Force Ghost

star 5
    No I've never tried that. I took the easy way out and bought one after TPM came out and lightsabers went on sale ;) THIS Might be of some use to you. This is the Costuming section of tf.net :) Hope that helps!
  3. Vesper2112 FF President & CR, Chattanooga, TN

Chapter Rep
    star 4
    Well, I decided to spring for the Dremel. I figure I'll end up doing more with it than making lightsabers. Maybe...

So far, I've decided on trying out a design from a site called The Big Yellow Box. They have very detailed instructions on making the 8 they have listed. (I LOVE style #8, but I decided to try an easier one - style #4). The trouble is finding the exact parts needed. For style #4, I was able to get everything except the cheap shower head (which Lowe's doesn't have now). Hopefully I'll be able to find something close, but for now, I can do all the other stuff. I have a feeling mine won't look as good as the picture, but hey... practice makes perfekt (or close enough).

Thanks Layren for the tip to check out the forums. Lots of useful information there. Boy, I wish I had the time and skill some of these people do. They talk of bringing not one, but several costumes to a convention. Sounds fun! DragonCon must be the place to go for costuming. From what I saw, it is, but I didn't really have anything else to gauge it against. Cool!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.