main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Custom Patch Designs?

Discussion in 'Costuming and Props' started by Sarge, Jul 20, 2013.

1. Sarge

Sarge Chosen One star 10

Oct 4, 1998
    I'd like to get a couple of patches made up to Velcro onto my Air Force issue flight suit. Does anybody know a source for getting patches made in small batches (like, two)?

I have two ideas right now. One is a drawing of a Corellian banshee bird with the motto "Razorwing Squadron." The other is an A-wing that says "MAY THE THRUST BE WITH YOU."

If I have to order a bigger batch, would anyone be interested in buying those?

2. Sarge

Sarge Chosen One star 10

Oct 4, 1998
  3. Commander-DWH

Commander-DWH Manager Emeritus star 4

Nov 3, 2003
    I don't know of anyone who will make just two patches, to be honest- if that's all you want, then you're best off finding a friend with an embroidery machine and digitizing software who will make them for you.

You'll also want to reduce the detail on the patches. Shading is tricky, and fine details often won't even show up on an embroidered patch. The more stylized you can make it, the better.

In my two-minute google search mission, I saw that custompatches.net will make small quantities, but you can't order fewer than six of each, and the prices for custom patches at that quantity is quite high. The more patches you order, the cheaper they'll be. But in all seriousness, I think finding an embroidery machine is your best bet.

4. Sarge

Sarge Chosen One star 10

Oct 4, 1998
    I think you're right, DWH, it probably would cost an arm and a leg. I got spoiled by some of the shops at overseas bases where they'd make custom military patches dirt cheap. And I know what level of detail and shading shows up in patches; those pics are more for concepts than exact depictions of the final product.

5. kingstondouglas

kingstondouglas Jedi Youngling

Jan 13, 2024
    Hi, I've been trying to find a custom patch maker online that will make regional patches for out franchise (GB Northern Ireland). So far all the places I've tried have been rather pricy. Where has everyone sourced custom patches from?

Last edited: Feb 6, 2024
    Lady_Belligerent likes this.
  6. Lady_Belligerent

Lady_Belligerent Queen of the RPF, SWC, C&P, and Pancakes & Waffles star 10 Staff Member Manager

Jan 29, 2008
    Are you creating the design yourself or will you be providing the artwork? Also, you cannot really use anything that incorporates a fandom that would require licensing to reproduce.

I’ll try and ask around my sewing friends, but I believe patches, like everything else these days, aren’t as cheap to make as they used to be.

7. CernStormrunner

CernStormrunner Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jul 6, 2000
    I've gotten some patches made on Zazzle.com, though they dont have a Velcro option - only plain or iron-on - but adding your own velcro shouldnt be that hard. Other thing is they are not embroidered - its basically a print on thick fabric. I made a couple, I'll see if i can upload a picture

8. CernStormrunner

CernStormrunner Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jul 6, 2000