main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

CT Cut scenes of Yoda training Luke?

Discussion in 'Classic Trilogy' started by JDN21, Apr 1, 2016.

1. JDN21

JDN21 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 17, 2004
    A friend told that there were cut scenes from TESB of Yoda training Luke, but I've never seen them and can't find them anywhere. Can anyone confirm?

As they were described to me, the scenes show Luke and Yoda doing warm-up stretches before going for a light jog, with Yoda telling Luke of the importance of warming up.

Another scene has Luke doing a hard, exhausting workout while Yoda watches, telling Luke about the force, then blowing on a whistle to end the workout. Apparently Yoda was wearing a grey track suit in this scene, but puts his Jedi robes back on at the end of the session.

Has anyone seen these scenes?

ObiWanKnowsMe likes this.
  2. Wrenegade

Wrenegade Jedi Master star 4

May 8, 2015
    Ha! I would actually pay money to see something like this.

3. cubman987

cubman987 Friendly Neighborhood Saga/Music/Fun & Games Mod star 7 Staff Member Manager

Nov 7, 2014
    Yeah this is true, they were included on the Star Wars Holiday Special Super Special Edition DVD/Blu-Ray released a few years ago exclusively in North Korea.

panta1978 and thejeditraitor like this.
  4. Wrenegade

Wrenegade Jedi Master star 4

May 8, 2015
    I really do hate it when releases are country exclusive. Now how will I get to see PE teacher Yoda AND the Holiday Special in sparkling HD?

5. Lt. Hija

Lt. Hija Jedi Master star 4

Dec 8, 2015
    JDN21 wrote

A friend told that there were cut scenes from TESB of Yoda training Luke, but I've never seen them and can't find them anywhere. Can anyone confirm?

These might be the scenes you are looking for (I'm not aware of any others). Some time ago I also saw a picture of the metal bar now sliced into several pieces, but I'm unable to remember were.

thejeditraitor likes this.
  6. darth-sinister

darth-sinister Manager Emeritus star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 28, 2001
    There were a few scenes. One was the metal bar sequence. The other was Luke training with seekers like those in ANH, AOTC and TFA. Luke gets knocked out by the seekers and wakes up to try again. The next time, Luke becomes angry and frustrated and Yoda stops the session to admonish Luke.

7. Darth_Nub

Darth_Nub Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Apr 26, 2009

Yes, I've seen them, they were all in the cut that I saw in 1980, and the music playing in the background was 'The Eye of the Tiger'. The sequence finished with Luke, Yoda and Artoo jumping and cheering on a sunny beach, all clad in bright fluro short-shorts.
    It's true, because I remember it, same as the Biggs and Jabba scenes I saw in 1977.:p

April Fool's Day is drawing to a complete close worldwide - however, for anyone taking this thread seriously, the additional footage of Luke's training on Dagobah (just the shots of him trying to slash a metal bar into multiple pieces with his lightsaber) are included on the 2011 Blu-Ray set. They're not really cut together, just laid end to end, half are in B&W, and there's no sound. They never made it to an actual cut of the film.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG] [​IMG]
    There were a number of other training sequences planned and storyboarded, including his being attacked by seekers inside the hut and deflecting their shots with a frying pan (no joke), but they were abandoned due to budgetary reasons - basically, GL turned up and told everyone to move faster and stop wasting money.

8. JDN21

JDN21 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 17, 2004
    That metal bar looks so out of place, so glad they cut it. If they were going to use a prop for Luke to slice, they should have made something that looked like something that fell of Lukes X Wing.

9. Lt. Hija

Lt. Hija Jedi Master star 4

Dec 8, 2015
    Maybe it's some piece from the dark side cave Yoda salvaged for training purposes?

Perhaps some rare Sith artefact that's gone after Luke's training. ;)