main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

'Cutting out' part of a lightsaber blade

Discussion in 'Fan Films, Fan Audio & SciFi 3D' started by Q99213, Jan 10, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Q99213

Q99213 Jedi Padawan star 4

Nov 3, 2001
    Hey everyone, I'm sure this has come up numerous times, but one more time can't hurt. I am doing a little saber FX test using Ryan W's AE method and I am facing the side and I stab the saber behind me, thus for about a frame you can see the tip and the hilt, but not the middle, which my body is blocking. Now, my question is, how would I hide that part in AE? I am assuming I have to use some sort of mask, but how do I get it so when I start adding the effect, it isn't made to that mask as well? And how do I just block out the blade and not my the entire peice of film??

2. Ryan_W

Ryan_W VIP star 4 VIP

Aug 15, 2001
    Yes, create another mask on the same layer and set it's mode to Subtract. This will simply remove part of the saber mask. Remember that when you don't want to use it you should keep the mask out of frame.

3. Q99213

Q99213 Jedi Padawan star 4

Nov 3, 2001
    Ok, it was the subract that was throwing me off. When I don't use it I just set the opacity down to 0 and it seems to work ok. Thanks! :)

4. GeneralSkywalker

GeneralSkywalker Jedi Youngling star 3

Dec 30, 2002
    Do you do this to the core before you do the triple duplicate?

5. Ryan_W

Ryan_W VIP star 4 VIP

Aug 15, 2001
    Yes, to the core. Then if you actually use a blur filter to make the auras later, the glow will spill properly.

6. Krapitino

Krapitino Jedi Padawan star 4

Jun 11, 2002
    "triple duplicate?"

How about triplicate?

7. GeneralSkywalker

GeneralSkywalker Jedi Youngling star 3

Dec 30, 2002
    lol. I just realized that.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.