main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

CV anti-complaint thread

Discussion in 'Star Wars Celebrations' started by Darthkat76, Aug 16, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Darthkat76

Darthkat76 Jedi Master star 4

Mar 21, 2007
    SO WHO HAD AN AWESOME TIME????? Meeeeeee! I totally have a crush on Nathan Hamill now. :p

2. AaylaSecurOWNED

AaylaSecurOWNED Jedi Master star 6

May 19, 2005
    Last night I saw a Double Rainbow (all the way!) from my window on the way back from the Con. TRULY MAGICAL!

3. Kiki-Gonn

Kiki-Gonn Jedi Grand Master star 6

Feb 26, 2001
    I'm sure the fact that I stupidly didn't go to any of the other Celebrations has something to do with my 'Wow' meter going crazy but I had an incredible time. It didn't really hit me how enjoyable it was until I was leaving. You know an experience rocked when it makes you nostalgic and you haven't FREAKING LEFT THE GENERAL VICINITY YET.

4. FRAGGLE_ROCKER

FRAGGLE_ROCKER Jedi Youngling star 1

Aug 16, 2010
    Same here. This was my first convention, and first time seeing any STAR WARS cast and crew members. I saw all the interviews I wanted to see, and saw them live (even though Carrie Fisher canceled--at least I saw her in Lucas' interview) but wish I'd been able to check out more panels. I was entertained by Ben Burtt, Dave Filoni and have gained a new appreciation for the Clone Wars cartoon. No real complaints. It could have been worse; the Celebration V website originally stated the convention center wasn't going to let people camp out overnight before Lucas' interview yet it did.

5. ChewieTitan

ChewieTitan Jedi Master star 2

Dec 26, 2001
    Wow! My wife and I had a blast (and she is not a fan).
    Really enjoyed the panels with the actors and behind-the-scene people.
    Had fun at the TK helmet and skate board auction for Make A Wish. We ended up winning the Mickey Mouse ear helmet. We went to the auction just for this helmet. After sitting through the rest of the auction, some of helmets and boards were going too cheap so I started bidding on them and ended up winning a Leia board too. I wish more people had attended and bid so we could have raised more for Make A Wish.
    What I will remember the most is two different events, 1) getting on the elevator at the Peabody and Dave Filoni being on board. We had a conversation with him until we parted in the lobby and 2) waiting on our car at the Peabody on Sunday and Mark and Nathan Hamill loading their car and Mark started a conversation with us. I was holding the box with the TK helmet and he ask me what was in it so I set down it down and opened it. We talked about the auction, the con and he wished us a safe trip home. Still in shock about it.

6. Darth_Beanie

Darth_Beanie Jedi Knight star 2

Mar 20, 2008
    I have to say a well put together show.

Reed did a very good job. If I had to complain about anything..more signs to direct you places. But a great time.

7. bback

bback Jedi Knight

Aug 17, 2010
    Everything was amazing! I was very nervous, coming by myself, thinking I wouldn't have much fun, and want to leave early all the time, like I tend to do at Wizard World here in Chicago, which doesn't have enough to interest me anymore.
    I was always entertained, and met a number of fantastic people over the weekend.
    I went to the Fan Mixer and met some great people, watched a RIDICULOUS lightsaber battle, and did some fun dancing.
    While in line for Mark Hamill, I met people who were so excited about Last Tour to Endor, their excitement convinced me to shell out the $75 for my own ticket, which was entirely worth it. I've seen videos of the hyperspace hoopla on youtube, and thought it was stupid. But being there in person, and with it on the main stage instead of the jedi training stage made all the difference. It was definitely one of the high points of the weekend. The Star Jones (easier name for it) show was amazing, but I was really hoping Anthony Daniels would somehow interact with C-3PO.
    The costume contest was sick, especially Episode I Anakin.
    DJ Elliott is my new favorite person, as well as the Chapin Theater's resident dancing sandtrooper, whose name I think is Jason Cartwright.
    I legitimately felt out of place without my own Force FX lightsaber, so without any "well, it's kind of expensive, and I don't need one, what would I even do with it?" at all, I bought one. It just feels right.
    I was never that into The Clone Wars. I got about halfway through the second season before I just stopped. After seeing how many people are so excited about it, I'm now going to go back and give it a second chance, because it's probably a great show.
    I was even glad that Carrie Fisher had to cancel her panel. I woke up real late that day, and was subsequently late to the OCCCCCCCCCC. If her panel wasn't canceled, I would have missed it and been mad at myself.
    Also, I realized that I need friends that actually like star wars, which is why I just registered, after being home for about three hours now.

8. FRAGGLE_ROCKER

FRAGGLE_ROCKER Jedi Youngling star 1

Aug 16, 2010
    Same here. I registered here in 1999 with another name but haven't used it since and have been on another STAR WARS board. I came back because apparently I was the only person out of the hundreds of users there who went to Celebration V, in addition to feeling like talking to other people I know about it who really don't care is just a waste of my time. If only my day-to-day life consisted of only being surrounded by like-minded fans like at that convention.

9. Bowen

Bowen Force Ghost star 5

Sep 6, 1999
    It is a fantastic experience being surrounded by so many other fans, that is always one of my favorite parts and is one of the big highlights.

To some extent, though, I feel that the experience has been a little bit tainted in recent Celebrations, and although I experienced a lot less of it this time (thank the maker), it has been a consistent theme.

At Celebration I, all I had to deal with is all of the "Special Editions suck" crowd, which I already found annoying enough because I would never, ever want to go back and watch the films without those changes, it'd be like seeing my own feature film's 2nd cut. I don't ever want to see that cut again, not when I'm on cut 4, I want to see the best, most updated version. So that always annoyed me, but it was just that. No big deal.

Then at Celebration II, you had to deal with a lot of the "God I hope Attack of the Clones doesn't SUCK like The Phantom Menace!" crowd. That was extremely annoying, too. But whatever, you just avoided those people.

Then at Celebration iII, you had to deal with the "prequels suck" crowd who "just hopes he doesn't mess up the very last movie." That got on my nerves because when AOTC came out, it was a fan favorite, everyone loved it, the fan community was extremely positive, and it was even called a true fan's movie. Then suddenly there was this really late years-later backlash that made no sense, like go watch the movie again and you'll realize you actually loved it, jeez.

Then by Celebration IV it was flat-out set -- two camps of fans, the prequel haters / OT purists and the Saga fans.

What made this Celebration so great for me was those two camps kind of co-existed easier, because if you don't like the prequels it's far enough later you just go focus on your own panels and your own likes, and leave everyone else alone, which is what happened mostly. And the Saga fans like myself were able to enjoy everything and not really put up with too much negativity. I don't go to a FAN convention to hear from non-fans, personally. I went to the Why We Love the Prequels panel, which was a highlight of the event for me, and like one of the guys said: "Some fans are like this... Jedi, sucks, Phantom Menace, sucks, Attack of the Clones, sucks, Revenge of the Sith, ok... You like TWO of the SIX films, that's an F!" Exactly. You are not a fan if you like 2 movies out of 6, I mean come on, haha, why would you even be at a convention. So thankfully I didn't talk to many of those people, they kind of did their own thing.

I admit to being a bit annoyed by hearing several times from some MC, "So Empire Strikes Back is considered the best film in the fan community, and here we have Gary Kurtz to talk about it" or whatever other ending to that phrase. Uhh, yes, it WAS... in like 1997, when there were only three movies. Revenge of the Sith has (rather easily) passed ESB as the fan favorite according to numerous polls conducted, so not sure why they keep restating an inaccurate thing like that. But it was ESB's birthday, so maybe they were just making it feel good ;)

10. MattDoc

MattDoc Jedi Knight star 3

Dec 10, 2009
    -The shuttle bus system worked very well (for me anyway) especially to and from Endor.
    -Hyperspace line in the morning was nice to have, even if it was the only real perk for us members
    -While maybe not in the main stage, it seems that everyone who wanted to at least see the Steward/Lucas interview was able to
    -Free wifi in common areas
    -Venue was very nice overall. I'd rather walk a bit between the exhibit hall and main stages than be shoulder-to-shoulder with people trying to navigate

I'm sure I'll think of more as the days go on.

11. AaylaSecurOWNED

May 19, 2005
    This is the anti complaint thread.

12. dustinroberts

dustinroberts TFN Content Manager star 1 VIP

Aug 23, 2001
    I loved every minute of it!

When's the next one?!!!!!!!!!!! :)

13. MattDoc

Dec 10, 2009
    How could anyone NOT have fun at an event where you can party and drink with Dustin's mom?! [face_dancing]

14. Bowen

Bowen Force Ghost star 5

Sep 6, 1999
    Those aren't complaints, actually what I'm saying is CV was the best one yet I think besides CI with regard to fans getting along better, at least from what I saw. It was a lot easier for everyone to go do their things, there was something for everyone, and if you hate the prequels or whatever you could go to plenty of ESB panels and geek-out over the one Star Wars movie you actually like, or if you enjoy all of the films you could go to Ray Park alongside Anthony Daniels or whatever else you wanted. If you like Clone Wars, there was plenty for you as well! So that was a big plus for me, it seemed like everyone was able to do their things, whereas at CIII for instance it was heavily focused on the excitement over Revenge of the Sith, which led to a lot of clashes among prequel supporters and detractors.

15. mrsvos

mrsvos Jedi Grand Master star 5

Nov 18, 2005
    I only cried a little and never actually barfed.
    I'm still so happy.[face_love]

16. MightyMass

MightyMass Jedi Youngling

Jul 23, 2009
    I had a fantastic time and got choked up going home on once day 4 was over. That thought of not being able to go back for a few years really got to me.

17. MattDoc

Dec 10, 2009
    Yeah, always tough when it comes to an end.
    Next time I think I need to not leave to fly home on Sunday but stay an extra night. I just end up being bummed all day Sunday until I have to go to the airport

18. AaylaSecurOWNED

May 19, 2005
    Actually what you're doing is baiting people who don't love the prequels as much as you do and throwing around major attitude in the anti-complaint thread by inventing some imaginary tension between people who love the prequels and people who don't love the prequels when all anyone else in here is trying to do is talk about how great the Con was. So, do you mind?

19. Kyle Katarn

Kyle Katarn Force Ghost star 6

Jul 10, 1998
    - Good to meet friends old and new and meet other fans who are just as into SW as I am.

- Very happy about the variety of food vendors available. CIV had the same Aramark food at every food vending station and you had to leave LACC to get something else, this was not the case here and I was pleased to see that I could get Asian food, pizza, BBQ, donuts, deli style sandwiches, and other food all while staying in the building. The 20% event discount was also nice too and didn't make it hurt my wallet as much which was an added bonus.

- Autograph hall was well done by Official Pix as they have always done. For the sake of full disclosure, I did volunteer for Official Pix and have since CIII, but I wouldn't have volunteered for them if I knew that they weren't good at what they do. Information was clear and concise, procedures were clearly established and they were well staffed too. I have been to cons where show/event management clearly has nothing but dollar signs in their eyes, while it's obvious that OPix is a business that runs on a for profit basis, they also have the fans and the guests in mind too and treat them both with honesty and respect. I will gladly volunteer for them at CVI if I am able and will gladly recommend it to anyone else who wants and unforgettable experience.

- The 501st - need I say anything? Sure, they might be Imperials, but they're fans too and everything they do is done with class. I love seeing these guys in action and their interactions with the fans make for some unforgettable experiences. Same thing applies for the Rebel Legion, perhaps they can build some vehicle/set mock-ups to compete with the Belgian 501st's mock-ups.

20. jonboy

jonboy Jedi Knight

Mar 30, 2010
    This was my first ever CELEBRATION it cost an enormous amount to fly over from Scotland but i had a fantastic time yeh we could moan .. hey it was over 4 days some things wouldnt be right but hell it was STAR WARS with the ,MAKER ,ROBOT CHICKEN ,ENDOR and SETH GREEN .RAY PARK,CARRIE,MARK. JAY,FIREWORKS,THE 501st,an Wampa with rip off arm,ALL THE MOVIES,DAVE FILONI,I LOVED IT X

21. ardavenport

ardavenport Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 16, 2004
    Anti-complaint thread.....that's a good idea. ;)

Really, I'm very glad I went. I really felt like CV was professionally run this time. There was plenty of room for everything and lots of things to do and look at.

And no matter how many times I see it, 5 year-olds attacking Darth Vader with toy lightsabers is always cute.

What would I change?

- The weather
    - Block the whole Rosen Center so more people in costume could get hotel rooms within walking distance
    - Bring back the Lucasfilm Archives display!

22. CurlyHayami

CurlyHayami Jedi Youngling

Dec 19, 2005
    That waiting outside before Lucas made the night. What an experience. Sure, it's kind of dual-layered (as in-I couldn't sleep, and the concrete was uncomfortable) but it was my first time camping out in such a large-scale...you hear about it, you see it in the news an TV, but when you're there with all the fellow fans it's truly something special feeling. That and I met the guy who I had only known on Facebook beforehand (whom helped me make it to CV)-he was very helpful and was sure to catch a ton of footage and answer all my "first convention" questions. We were very happy to hear that we had made the crowd that would be getting wristbands.

Then the Clone Wars voice-actors ambushed the big line! I don't watch the CW so I didn't know names, but when I found out the guy was Clause's voice actor(American Dad) I flipped! My friend recorded while he did Clause for me. We had fun watching him perform other voice roles and sound-effects (friends who couldn't make it would've loved his L4D sound-effects).

Then the doors were opened, finally-and holy cow-when we got those yellow-wristbands, the sheer EXCITEMENT! We'd see the maker soon...

in five hours, so back to chilling.

As time progressed this guy playing an Imperial Officer had games for us to play. I participated in acting out the ESB scene where Luke is riding the Tauntaun and hit by the Wampa-my friend got in on the Battle of Yavin reenactment (pretty funny stuff there especially with the faces they made).

And then when the stage opened for seeing George in person-we made it in (and were told to stop running) and accidentally sat in the VIP seats at first, we still got one of the closest non-VIP seats though.

I saw some people visibly annoyed and walking out on the "warmup" show they had going on (which did go on awhile) but it was pretty fun to hear the same songs I heard at a couple of weddings this past year. Glad they played Journey, I swear "Don't Stop Believing" has officially been played at every "special" event for me up to this point in my life..even on the radio by sheer coincidence:)

But when it finally ended (and I was among one of the people to say finally) Jon's entrance was awesome. I've never seen any celebrities in my life, was glad to scratch that off my "things to do before I die" list-when Jon Stewart came out to the Daily Show theme it all felt so surreal!

My friend Ryan's dream came true when the Stormtroopers marched onto the stage..he was talking about how they did that for GL on a TV awards show before....then when Jay pulled his helmet off "Ladies and Gentlemen, George Lucas!"...

And I'm sure we all did the same thing-personally, I stood up clapping and couldn't help but burst into tears of joy (kind of embarrassing, they wouldn't stop flowing out). This was literally the most exciting moment in my entire life, Jar-Jar Binks and stuff aside, the man who made my favorite movie series of ALL time in the flesh!

Then Mark Hammil, HOLY COW! I yelled, "LUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUKE!" Not putting the people I've seen at Weekends down or anything, but it was great to finally see, in person, imo-the man behind the highest key role in the entire SW saga.

Then Carrie Fisher?! And oh my goodness, she killed with those witty quips she had. It was so exciting-Seth Green standing up in the crowd too! I couldn't believe what I was seeing.

We all yelled, "Thank you!" and when they played the end theme (and if anyone has good video of Mark doing the "iris out" with his finger that I can see again please forward it) the tears of joy came flowing back out again. I was caught on the camera, my eyes running-voice all shaky and ****..how embarrassing, but I just couldn't contain the joy I felt.

Sure, if you check the complaint thread, everything went downhill after I decided to hit speed dating afterwards, but nothing tops that morning for as long as I live.

Celebration Six, I sure can't wait.

(Oh, and seeing Seth Green in person at the Robot Chicken panel was awesome too!)

23. lovelucas

lovelucas Jedi Master star 4

Mar 19, 2004
    How do I begin? Even though I'm partial to prequels, this was my favorite Celebration. I liked the facility, found it much easier to move around in than in LA which was extremely spread out and it was more accommodating than the Indy facility (which is long gone) due to the size. Was able to score a cheap hotel and airfare with very early booking but that locked me in with no recourse to change anything. The humidity was truly terrible (107 degree heat index on Saturday) but most of the lining up was inside where it was so much cooler. I had great experiences with the volunteers on all floors - no complaints whatsoever. Mark could not have been nicer and he seems to love the fans. Carrie was exceptionally sweet to me but I talked to her/autograph plus photo earlier on Thursday. She even greeted me at the Froggy event and Mark did too. NICK G!!! was one my favorites plus the old school/old folks home celebs seemed to be having a great time too. At CIV there were an over-abundance of 3rd Ewok from the left and I'm sure they did not make much money since there were so many options. This didn't happen at CV. But I really missed some of the prequel peeps: Bonnie (she is a wonderful musician/singer), Bruce Spence who is a peach of guy, and Tem, of course, had to cancel. Whoever selected the volunteers on the "tell your Star Wars story" deal did an excellent job. Each one of them seemed to have tapped into some sort of Zen awareness - very calm, very focused, very tuned into the participants and what they needed to be comfortable. They continually let people know they wanted to hear the story.

24. lovelucas

lovelucas Jedi Master star 4

Mar 19, 2004
    I had just the best of times - and was thrilled beyond zonkdom to see George so completely relaxed like he was among family..and he was. Jon and he just bounced off each other like old, old friends. Loved Jon's surprised and genuine touching response to George's gift of a Jon Stewart action figure/stormtrooper from the planet of StewJon...and yes I was one of the ones who was in the Celebration Stage theater. But I got in line at 3:30 a.m. and that was terrific too, despite the heat and the nearly 8 hour wait. Met some fantastic people and got to talk Star Wars for hours. And I saw the films - large screen, THX SOUND, digital...wonderful ...surrounded by fans who were encouraged to whoop it up, especially by Pablo Hildago. Mary Franklin (isn't she wonderful?) introduced ESB and said it was her favorite.

I'm ready...I'm waiting... for 2013 and CIV

25. MattDoc

Dec 10, 2009
    Bumping this up because the complaint thread has WAY too many entries by comparison.

So here's another non-complaint of mine:

Twitter! I got a LOT of updates and scoops on what was going on by being able to follow the #swcv hashtag on twitter on my iPhone. I still felt somewhat "plugged in" while still being on the go.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.