CV Complaint Thread

Discussion in 'FanForce: Star Wars Celebration VI, VII, Europe II' started by Plagious, Aug 16, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Plagious Jedi Knight

star 1
    Sounds like a good idea! Like I said I created this thread for two purposes. 1. To vent a little. Sometimes letting the bad things out help you enjoy the good times. 2. Hopefully some of these things will be fixed for next time.

Overall I enjoyed the convention.
  2. MightyMass Jedi Knight

To be perfectly clear, this isn't a personal gripe, but I felt bad for the people I was talking to in line. They were really POed that the exclusives they were after were gone by the time they got through the door.
  3. HanSolo29 Manager Emeritus + Official Star Wars Artist

star 6
    Overall, I had a real blast. There were just a few things that I feel could have been done better:

1. The overlapping panels. From what I've read, this is a normal thing for conventions, but it was still annoying to choose one over the other and to ultimately miss out on something that you really wanted to see.

2. The shuttle bus service. We stayed at Port Orleans French Quarter in Disney and had to rely on Mears transportation to take us to and from the convention center. The day we checked in, I confirmed with the concierge desk that the shuttles were running every 30 minutes to pick people up. That's fine. We went ahead and made dinner reservations for 7pm on Thursday night with that in mind. On Thursday morning, we again confirmed with the Mears people that the shuttles will definitely be running every 30 minutes. We spend the day at the convention center and head out to leave around 5pm, only to find that there are no shuttles. An hour goes by without anyone knowing anything until we decided to hike around the convention center and try and find the buses. We found them in a rest area and asked one of the drivers what was going on. The driver was extremely rude and bluntly told us that no one was being picked up until 7:15-7:30. WTF. We got confirmation twice that they would be picking up every 30 minutes. We ended up taking a taxi back to the hotel and completely missed our dinner reservation. We complained to the front desk when we got back and the guy was really understanding about it(yay for Disney in that regard!) and he told us that the convention center contacted them last minute while everyone was at the convention and told them about the change in the shuttle service. It was out of Disney's control. I wish they would've found a way to get that information out to everyone or better yet, made up their minds sooner so everyone could have heard the announcement when they boarded the buses in the morning. Oh well. It was just a minor blunder, but very frustrating at the time.

3. I come home and now I am sick with a cold. I knew that was going to happen considering the lack of sleep throughout the week. :p
  4. chucknotsteve Jedi Knight

Ugh, this happened to me and my friend too. And we confirmed with the front desk, too. It was just really annoying. We ended up taking a cab and we complained to the front desk at Port Orleans.. and like you said, they were very nice (as Disney always is!), but we made it to Last Tour much later than we thought we would :(

Aside from this, CV was the best weekend of my life.
  5. HanSolo29 Manager Emeritus + Official Star Wars Artist

star 6
    You and your friend didn't happen to ride back in the cab with three ladies, did you? :p

Trying to track down the two guys we shared the cab with on the way back that day. They were really nice and we wouldn't have met them if this whole thing didn't go down. So, I guess that's proof that the whole situation wasn't a total waste.
  6. dp4m Chosen One

star 9
    I'd like to complain that HanSolo29 did not stop by the TF.n/FF booth and meet us!

:p
  7. HanSolo29 Manager Emeritus + Official Star Wars Artist

star 6
    That's where you're wrong! :p

I stopped by Saturday afternoon and met Dingo, mavjade and Obi Anne.
  8. -Commander_Thigh- Jedi Master

star 4
    My only complaint is that Carrie Fisher's panel was cancelled. :( I had been really looking forward to it.

9. Bri_Windstar Force Ghost

star 4
    Same, though it's a minor quibble and if she had to bounce for personal reasons, I thought it was gracious of her to stick around for the morning autographs and introduce the rebroadcast of the Lucas interview. I saw her panel at C-IV and it was one of my highlights. I was looking forward to see her again.
  10. AaylaSecurOWNED Force Ghost

star 6
    noo, I just realized a complaint: I forgot to go to the Star Wars stories project! :( I was going to talk about how my dad used to play the Endor speeder chase to show off our new surround sound system when I was really little.
  11. Miana Kenobi Costuming & Props Mod - Retired Admin

Manager
    star 8
    I think my biggest complaint was location and time of the year. While I was super happy Orlando picked because that gave me an excuse to go to the Wizarding World of Harry Potter, the heat made it so that nothing was really in walking distance.
  12. mrsvos Force Ghost

star 5
    I complain that I had to sleep. I almost passed out at my booth once.
    I could have gone to Disney, but I def. would have passed out then.
  13. Dark Lady Mara Manager Emeritus

star 7
    I wish that the shuttle buses hadn't been quite so few and far between, since the weather made it so unpleasant to walk more than about half a mile. I had several pretty long waits for shuttles at times of day when I would have thought they would run frequently. That's my only major complaint, I think. Overall, Reed did a really good job.
  14. Kyle Katarn Chosen One

star 6
    Overall, I enjoyed my experience and would gladly endure the crowds, heat, humidity, and soreness from walking around all day just to re-live it again. It was great to take this much needed vacation, forget about work and leave my troubles behind. That said, I did have a few complaints about how the show as listed below:

- Entrances: This was by and large the most egregious error in my opinion. I was staying about 15-20 miles away with relatives and this required me to drive on in to the show everyday. On all days except for Saturday, I had to park in the west parking lot. First day I got there, I arrived about 10:45am due to traffic on I-4 which couldn't be helped. I grabbed a spot, hustled on over to the west entrance only to find OCCC security blocking the entrance saying that they hadn't received permission to let anyone in those doors by show management until 11am. They told us that we could walk around to the front entrance or wait for a shuttle bus. As I was already hot and sweaty, I opted to sit in the shade and wait for the bus or the door to open up. 11am rolls around, doors are still closed with OCCC denying entry to anyone and no shuttle bus is in sight. By 11:05am, people are getting angry and demanding to speak to the security officer's supervisor who parrots back the same line about not allowing entry until event management says so. A shuttle bus finally shows up at 11:10am and people damn near trample other people to get a seat, I should know as I was one of the first to get on and felt the push of the crowd. The bus did take us around to the front, but not the main entrance and we had to hoof it to the main entrance which had the only unlocked doors along the entire front face of the building, after that, we're then in line for another 10 minutes before we finally get in and get in line shortly before the people who had opted to walk around the building instead of wait for a shuttle bus. This ties in to my second complaint.

- Admission/check-in: The very haphazard entrance setup lead to some people getting in without badges or even paying for admission. Some people were in there all day without badges as they had entered the building through an entrance without someone there to pay for admission, I know this as I found out through a relative of mine that they had spotted a friend who had gotten in without a badge and was there from 10am until 5pm without buying a badge or even being stopped by someone asking to see their badge. I don't want to know how many other people got in like this as I'd likely feel cheated for having paid $128 for something that could have been had for free if you found the right entrance and didn't attract a lot of attention. The entrances and security were about as porous as the US/Mexico border and could easily have allowed access for someone looking to cause trouble for the con attendees or a guest.

- My only other beef is that everything was very spread out and the lack of signage pointing towards the exhibits didn't help either. Not everyone had the schedule booklet with the map and I overheard a lot of people asking strangers where a certain room was only to be told by the other person that they didn't know where it was either. Some nice, durable, signposts with directions in high traffic areas would have helped out a lot.

Now, to be fair, Reed did hold a focus group meeting on Sunday morning to which I was invited to attend by email before the show even began. I accepted and sat in on the focus panel and offered a rep from Reed my input along with about 12-15 other attendees as well. There was a woman there who took lots and lots of notes about everything that was brought up by the focus group. Reed listened to our comments and addressed some of them, apologized for some things which didn't go according to plan, and said that they will use our comments for CVI. Whether or not our comments will be followed up on is anyone's guess, but I will give Reed credit for admitting some of their mistakes up front and trying to make sure they don't happen again.
  15. AaylaSecurOWNED Force Ghost

star 6
    Yeah, actually, I was wondering about this. The first day I had to wait in line for an hour to get in the only door, and from then on I would walk in any random door of the building without anyone checking my badge until I went to get into a panel or something.
  16. mrsvos Force Ghost

star 5
    Yeah, you just had to find the teeny, tiny 90 year old lady at the door and go in that one.
    True story.
    I know someone who did.
  17. Billy_Dee_Binks Force Ghost

star 4
    I only have two complaints:

1) The video feed of the Lucas - Stewart for those who didn't make it to the Chapin Theater (only 20-30 people were in front of us) really sucked. It was 4:3 and very grainy.

2) They should have constantly looped the movies. I would have really liked to see them, but I had other things to do whenever they were on. Maybe have the movies play after most panels are over, or something similar to that might have helped.

Excellent Celebration!
  18. Dark Lady Mara Manager Emeritus

star 7
    (Erg, accidental post... disregard this)
  19. CurlyHayami Jedi Knight

Btw, how did everyone feel about the ice bar hours?

Nothing completely unruly happened around me Sat. but there was some annoying frat boy style heckling in the line for Robot Chicken, stuff like shouting, "I love the boobs!" at the female Clonetroopers. I turned around to see these people holding beers in their hands.
  20. lovelucas Force Ghost

star 4
    Only one complaint: art line but Bowen, I have to tell ya those VIP lines - even though you paid for the perk - ticked off people mightily. Esp the Mark/Carrie lines.
  21. Snootles11 Jedi Padawan

Regarding complaints about not seeing enough panels over the course of 4 days:
    This was my first Celebration. I attended with my husband, two kids (ages 8 and 11) and a friend. Maybe it's because we are also Disney kamakazies...but, we saw a LOT of what we wanted to see...even with 5 people having different things we wanted to see. No, never going to make it to everything we want because of overlapping panels/events. However, you might have seen us. We were the dorks walking around with large, printed out schedules. I have a couple of tips that might help some of you who had trouble seeing more. Hope they help. Keep in mind they involve a group of five including two kids:
    1) Do a pow-wow with your group before the convention using the most updated schedule you can get your hands on.
    2) Mark off which members of your party are interested in which panels/events...regardless if they overlap.
    3) Have cell phones with unlimited texting.
    4) Break schedule into a list of times, events and who will attend each. This is where you make your sacrifices: (i.e.: Droid building over Humorous Star Wars Products). Remind kids who have to be with an adult at all times that they are lucky to be there in the first place, so quit complaining.
    5) Make sure you have left some time (10:00 am to 11:00 am can be ideal) to get to exhibit hall, family room, Lucas arts free play room, diorama building each day.
    6) Realize you WILL change your mind and make further sacrifices as you go through your days. But having a plan to work as a skeletal breakdown works wonders.
    7) I can't count how many times we texted each other each day. Usually...."Where r u?" "Can you meet me at room 300 to take Mandy to _________ after you finish __________?" We arrived from 3 separate areas in the complex at a run to get to the surprise re-broadcast of the main event with Carrie Fisher...texting all the way there. Highlight for us since we missed the actual event.
    8) There will probably be times when you are so tired that you suddenly don't care about making a particular panel. Use that time to meander the exhibit hall.
    9) Eat earlier than most people.
    10) Trade off positions on online for autogrpahs.. In other words, use the buddy trade-off system to help each other out.
    I hope some of that helps someone next time. Oh....and if you are traveling with kdis...Make sure you get into the bar even if it's by yourself!
  22. jawajames FF Pacific RSA President/Chapter Rep San Diego, CA

Manager
    star 6
    The mixer started off slow, but eventually people started to dance and have fun. Less lightsaber fighting and more dancing. Unfortunately it had to end around midnight - things were really in full swing at that time.

Regarding the shuttle service: generally, shuttle service is not provided by the convention center, but is contracted through different convention transportation planning companies which are hired by the convention. So providing feedback regarding the quality of the shuttle systems (frequency, areas covered/not covered) is important.

My only complaint (which Miana also mentioned):
    August + Orlando. I stayed at a hotel that was adjacent to the Convention Center (albeit the far side of the convention center) and it was just nasty outside. all the time. i feel bad for those who ended up outside longer.
  23. ANGRY_LEIA Jedi Knight

star 1
    My biggest complaint has to be the heat. Orlando in August, ugh! It was just too hot for me to wear a costume each day, even though I had what I thought of as a lightweight Jedi outfit. Not sure how anyone could tolerate camping for Lucas...what a pain!

If there was any reason to have the next Celebration in Indy or anywhere else, that would be it for me...cooler climate please! :)

Martha
  24. AaylaSecurOWNED Force Ghost

star 6
    Man, I would 10000% prefer Orlando mugginess to the freezing rain and snow at C3. Just sayin.
  25. Miana Kenobi Costuming & Props Mod - Retired Admin

Manager
    star 8
    And Los Angeles was just disgusting! I mean, 80 degrees dry heat with a cloudless sky... that was just AWFUL!
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.