CV Road Travel Grid

Discussion in 'FanForce: Star Wars Celebration Anaheim' started by DK_Force85, Dec 18, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. DK_Force85 Jedi Master

star 4
    Although most people who live more than 3 or 400 miles from Orlando will probably be flying, there are also those of us who prefer to drive. And more than one person going in the same car always helps save gas and money. But we all live many miles apart. So I thought of this idea where anyone who's possibly interested in driving and looking to spend less on gas could (if they wish) draw what their route would be on a map, as well as when they plan to leave and when they plan to get back home.

[image=http://img63.imageshack.us/img63/6222/jctravelmap.jpg]

Of course no one's obligated to show their route or travel with others, but for those who might want to, a visual guide like this would make coordinating carpooling much easier.

You just pick a color and some other signature pattern to draw along the line (I used arrows). Showing your exact starting location isn't necessary, this is just about routes. And please don't lower the image's resolution.

I don't know whether or not I'll even be able to go, but if I do, there's basically two possible routes I'd take, so I've drawn them both. I'm also hoping to arrive early, so with the distance, my departure and return dates might be the 7th and 18th. Give or take, though there's really no way of knowing at this point.
  2. jedicatfish Jedi Padawan

I'd take I-10 man, taking 20 is going to run you into some serious hell. especially around Atl.
  3. Grand Admiral Strife RSA Emeritus

star 5
    The Austin group will be caravaning it; for some reason Austin has no nonstop flights to Orlando, and the cheapest flight is $340 per person. Go figure.

CARAVAN OF COURAGE!!!

edit: it would be much cooler if we had a FANBOYS van leading the way :p
  4. DK_Force85 Jedi Master

star 4
    I'm aware that the traffic sucks in Atlanta, but I've never been there, and went on I-10 for my family's vacation to Orlando this past summer anyway. It's a very dull route, and I'd like to do something a little different.
  5. Uilmuteiz RSA Emeritus

star 4
    [face_laugh]

We'll be coming from the big sandy area on top of your map, taking I-97 all the way down I believe.

Why do I suddenly feel like we'll be fans coming from the "Unknown Regions" when I look at your map ^_^
  6. Miana Kenobi Admin Emeritus

star 8
    Plane, sorry. I'd rather spend 5 hours in the air than 3 days in a car. :p
  7. Dark Lady Mara Manager Emeritus

star 7
    This is a cool idea - I might be up for sharing a ride and the expense with someone if anyone is planning on driving through or near New York City...
  8. DK_Force85 Jedi Master

star 4
    Well the idea is that if, say, someone is driving from Minneapolis MN, and someone else from Cleveland OH, they draw their routes on the map and see that they cross paths in Louisville KY, they could be like "Hey, we could meet there ride together." (though they'd have to find a safe lot for the car being left for several days). And if they had some other friend from Birmingham AL who planned to drive, he/she could meet them in Atlanta GA.

The point of the map is just to make it easier for those who might consider carpooling to coordinate with others on it. It's not like drawing your (potential) route is signing some contract that says you have to carpool, or that you're forced to ride with someone else who's path crosses yours, regardless of whether you like them or not. :p
  9. hyperspace_police FanForce CR Arkansas US

Chapter Rep
    star 4
    There's a group of us driving from Arkansas... I'm hauling a U-Haul...

I have no idea what route we're taking... But, if you happen to wind up being along the route, while my van is full... I may have room in the U-Haul if you're flying and aren't able to ship your stuff...

I'm taking several fellow 501st members who are flying's armor to FL...

When we figure out the route and the dates... I'll post... Even if you don't share gas/ride with someone... There's power in a caravan in case somebody has a car problem or something like that...
  10. Sanctimoniously Jedi Grand Master

star 5
    I'm planning on road-tripping it with a couple friends, but I'm not sure from where yet. I drive a Buick LeSabre, so the miles will melt into one another with no pain. :D
  11. Thistledown Jedi Knight

Austin has nonstop flights with Southwest and Jetblue to Orlando.
  12. Grand Admiral Strife RSA Emeritus

star 5
    Yeah, one of my members already made arrangements for her family, and I think others in the group will as well.

Me? Well, if the wife and I go (which is a HUGE if at the moment), we'll be driving as a. I don't trust airline baggage handlers (already had a few items lost/destroyed from cons) and b. we're going to need a car in FL anyways so might as well drive :p
  13. buggyvirus1 Jedi Knight

star 1
    Because I lived in Alaska for over 20 years I have had to fly to the conventions. This year I moved to TX and will be driving with Tofu. We are going to have a blast...mostly because I love to drive. I drove from Washing to Texas so I figured Texas to Orlando will be a piece of cake. I will be using my GPS so at least we won't get lost. LOL
  14. SithGirl132 Force Ghost

star 4
    Out of curiosity, is anyone else going down I-95? I'm coming from Connecticut with a friend, and we'd love to know if anyone else is.
  15. wendynat Jedi Knight

star 3
    We're heading down 95 from Virginia on the 10th - not quite as far of a ride as Connecticut!
  16. JarJarJedi Force Ghost

star 6
    Sorry, I have to, but if one would be driving from Cleveland, they would come no where near Louisville, or even Kentucky... unless they wanted to drive 3+ hours out of the way. Nor would they be going through Atlanta. ;) Just my 2 pennies. [face_peace]

With that said, I'll be traveling down I-77 from the Akron, Ohio area down to link up with I-95 in South Carolina on the 10th and 11th. Looking to get to where I-81 crosses I-77 in Virginia late on the 10th.
  17. JediEddy Jedi Knight

star 1
    The wife and I will be coming from Charlotte, NC. Figure on picking up I-95 either in Myrtle Beach or Charleston. We're also going to be getting there on the 9th, since this is really MY trip, I told her we could go down early and spend time doing what she wanted a few days before the madness starts. Wow, I really can't wait!
  18. DK_Force85 Jedi Master

star 4
    Doh! :oops:

You're right, they wouldn't. I didn't notice it at the time, but it was just a random example.
  19. DragonLove76 Jedi Knight

star 1
    I AM going!!! Tickets already bought and badge already received, and I am so excited about the future of Star Wars, want to see what's in store so bad! I am one of those people that thinks Star Wars is forever! They will announced something BIG I kinda have a good feeling about it. (TV show please :) )

I am not disabled I can drive, but prefer to not going alone 10+ long hours, and I don't want to ride airplane HELL TO THE NO!!! So I am definitely trying to avoid it like a plague if possible. Since I don't have a girlfriend now, it's kinda difficult to find someone else to go with. VERY!!!

Can you maybe help me out?

So, if we can get a carpool together that would be awesome. I will make sure you will be well-compensated for the trouble, just make sure it's fair and all. And, I will also make sure I will totally not annoy anyone (You know those that just won't shut up? Not me!) One more thing I will promise is very very very light baggage - PROMISE! :)

Also, Hotel/Motel - I am going to get one via Taxi if need to be, but really really I just don't care about bed and all, since I don't mind sleep on the floor in sleeping bag.

So, yeah if I can share someone's room (Will pay a % share of course) and get the floor space that would be great.

If not, I am sure I can find somewhere else to sleep at... but TIME is now of essence. I only got a week left to plan & prepare :(

LET ME KNOW so I can get this all planned out ASAP! It's just a week away I can't wait!!! :D
  20. ANGRY_LEIA Jedi Knight

star 1
    I live south of Austin in Buda, couldn't find a non-stop inexpensive flight from Austin, so flying out of San Antonio on Wednesday morning (7am, ouch!).

Hope i'm making the right decision...wouldn't like my light saber, etc. busted up in transport!

Hope you get to make it to CV! Austin, represent! :)

Martha
  21. KingTomatoXIII Jedi Knight

I'm taking i-10 from around exit ~85 to 75 to Orlando.

I suggest i-10 over 75 through Georgia for sure. :)
  22. DragonLove76 Jedi Knight

star 1
    http://boards.theforce.net/fanforce_star_wars_celebration_v/b10611/31141117/p1/?6

I am not having much luck, but seeing that in this thread some of you stated you are from I-95 I wonder if there is still any hope?
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.