main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Full Series CW Grade the Episode: S05E11: A Sunny Day In The Void

Discussion in 'Star Wars TV- Completed Shows' started by Seerow, Dec 12, 2012.

?

How would you grade this episode?

1. 10/10

14.3%
  2. 9/10

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  3. 8/10

16.1%
  4. 7/10

10.7%
  5. 6/10

8.9%
  6. 5/10

3.6%
  7. 4/10

5.4%
  8. 3/10

16.1%
  9. 2/10

5.4%
  10. 1/10

19.6%
  1. QuangoFett

QuangoFett Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jun 11, 2011
    A tremendous improvement over Secret Weapons. The comet strike scenes were visually spectacular. The scenes on the surface of Abafar were this in addition to being well-written and a good mix of humour and thought-provoking content about organics vs. droids, etc.

The droids - the main weakness of the previous episode - were less of a problem here. First and foremost, the two coneheads had fewer opportunities to prove their stupidity. The two domeheads seem to have taken a shine to each other, what with R2 saving QT from being left behind in the comet storm and QT backing up R2's vie for power. It's interesting how much mileage could be obtained out of characters who can't speak. WAC-47's behaviour was less hyperactive and immature, instead being more amusingly off-kilter and dry. Unlike the posturing child seen in the last episode, I can easily imagine this droid having an odd partnership with Commander Neyo. Speaking of which, the dynamic between WAC and Gaston was very interesting. That WAC sticks by his CO as he loses his grip on reality shows a depth to the character not seen in the last episode. Even the Abafar ostriches seem to like him.

The last episode was let down in part by the presence of Separatist droids in the story. I dislike the incompetence which TCW never stops attributing to battle droids (yes, the brutally effective army from the PT which can only be defeated by organised formations of clone troopers and in small groups by skilled Jedi is somehow the most incompetent military force evah!) and the "Looney Toons" nature of the last episode ramped this incompetence up to over nine thousand, and the story suffered immensely for it. This episode focuses on the droids themselves and Gascon, and with some decent writing, the characters proved to be very compelling. Well done Brent Friedman.

I'll have to dock marks for WAC's suicide remark. That was incredibly poor taste.

8/10

CT-867-5309 likes this.
  2. Dark Lord Tarkas

Dark Lord Tarkas Jedi Grand Master star 5

Apr 29, 2011
    After initially feeling like this would be my fourth 1/10 of the series, it actually wound up being my first 3/10.

This is simply not material I want to see covered in this series, especially since we know we have a lot more Star Wars coming from Disney now.

I had to bump it up one point because, as much as I feel this series is not the proper place for them, I love the themes in this episode so much that I can't help but appreciate them even when I'm ripping my hair out wishing they didn't waste an episode on this. Even when they fail to do in 22 minutes what Woody Allen could do in less than 2:

And it got bumped up yet another point because I see this as GL's long-pondered odd/abstract/esoteric/experimental droids film he talked about making when Star Wars was still brand new.

More details here:

http://boards.theforce.net/threads/...cussion-thread.50007219/page-16#post-50264058

rumblewagon likes this.
  3. Seerow

Seerow Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 7, 2011
    Well, I tried... =b

4. Ody_Mandrell

Ody_Mandrell Jedi Grand Master star 1

Dec 28, 2003
    And me too! This episode was truly amazing. One of the best in the series.

5. Darth_Foo

Darth_Foo Force Ghost star 4

Feb 24, 2003
    3/10
    My least favorite of the season so far. More because I found the Col. and WAC to be more annoying than Jar-Jar than the story itself. When the Col. was yelling "WHY!!" I found myself asking the same thing. Only reason I didn't go with 1 was because of the comet sequence and the interesting idea of the Void World.

6. kenobifan1999

kenobifan1999 Jedi Youngling star 1

Sep 3, 2012
    3/10 and thats being generous....this episode was REALLY bad

so far I believe this was the worst episode of the show to date

7. CT-867-5309

CT-867-5309 Chosen One star 7

Jan 5, 2011
    At the time of this post there were 45 votes for an average score of 5.2

Yikes at this arc, the first two were total failures. We'll see if the last two can bring up the average to at least a respectable level.

8. MistrX

MistrX Jedi Master star 4

Jun 20, 2006
    6/10. I appreciated its uniqueness and the moment where I thought maybe they were in some strange temporal anomaly. Gascon going crazy was at times intriguing and annoying, as was Wac. Too much nothing, though.