main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Amph Cue The "Super Friends" Theme! - DC "CW-verse" Discussion

Discussion in 'Community' started by DarkEagle, Oct 13, 2012.

1. Ender Sai

Ender Sai Chosen One star 10

Feb 18, 2001
    Sure beezelbub, like a series based on the Green Arrow wouldn't get the green light?

What we're actually talking about is a topic you know nothing about. Like history, but you can't claim expertise from playing Civ.

2. Penguinator

Penguinator Former Mod star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 23, 2005
    The problem with Nightwing is that they've gone and made his nemesis Green Arrow's Nemesis. Otherwise I'm all for it.

3. Dingo

Dingo Jedi Grand Master star 5

Apr 23, 2001
    I think Ender has the right idea, pilfer a couple of Batman villians. Someone like Black Mask could provide a season long villain that is chased in between regular police cases.

And/or, use Holiday. Imagine dealing with that as a season long story. Dick as a cop trying to help solve the case, along with the chase as Nightwing.

4. Yodaminch

Yodaminch Chosen One star 6

Mar 6, 2002

Dick's developed a decent roster of bad guys. Blockbuster certainly. Then there was the newest one Prankster who wasn't half bad. Honestly the cop premise makes Nightwing a really great potential show. But then, we saw what happened with Birds of Prey-a comic that was literally perfect for TV-had they just been true to the material.

5. Ender Sai

Feb 18, 2001
    Yeah but a lot has been learned about what audiences will tolerate vs what execs thought they would. We know that audiences don't want ironic or cheese in these shows, which is why Arrow's been earnest enough to not get self-conscious about its premise. Which is why the Flash is as strong as it was.

I'm pretty sure the Chuck Dixon Nightwing story had Dick taking on Black Mask in Bludhaven. Basically, you have Batman's former Robin, a well trained, reasonably well adjusted (relative to Bruce) young crimefighter with no powers vs a crime lord gangster who wears a mask. Roman Sionis' story is varied enough it could form a part of an arc...

In other words, Nightwing could work as basically a slightly different Batman show.

Unless of course beezel doesn't approve.

6. beezel26

beezel26 Jedi Master star 7

May 11, 2003
    It could work as long as the whole superhero genre isn't worn out on CW by the time it debuts.

7. Penguinator

May 23, 2005
    Can you confirm that Manu Bennett calls everyone "kid?" Because I like to think he does.

8. Penguinator

May 23, 2005
    Nightwing has yet to be in a proper movie, and the TV stuff seems to suit the form better, so...I'm totally game for a ton of comic book TV shows.

9. Ender Sai

Feb 18, 2001
    Especially since Nightwing is basically without the toys Batman has; but can still tie into that universe. You can do what Birds of Prey did in having a Batman cameo now and then, but it's more Dick seeking advice from Bruce or Alfred than anything else.

If they bring that scene with Tarantula into it...

Juliet316 and Penguinator like this.
  10. Juliet316

Juliet316 39x Hangman Winner star 10 VIP - Game Winner

Apr 27, 2005
    There's also the cop by day angle that could work as well. You could also do cameos by Teen Titians/Young Justice characters.

Considering how well TV mostly tends to handle men in rape scenarios (mostly coming down to 'LOL Men can't be raped; he just let the evil woman seduce him.'), I really really hope they never bring that Tarantula story into it.

11. Ender Sai

Feb 18, 2001
    God no. No Titans. Just... no. If they're angling for a Batman-lite, then having Starfire turn up or Raven help him out... no. Just, no.

12. Juliet316

Apr 27, 2005
    I was thinking more along the lines of a Roy/Arsenal personally rather than Starfire or Raven, myself.

13. Ender Sai

Feb 18, 2001
    Well given that the Flash pilot links back into the Arrowverse but showing more scenes around the accident which caused Barry to access the speed force (and obvs at some point, maybe even in that episode [face_whistling] , Ollie will show up) then yes, more similar crossovers would work.

When's Flash start, properly, anyway?

14. Juliet316

Apr 27, 2005
    Sometime in October. [face_plain]

15. Ulicus

Ulicus Lapsed Moderator star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 24, 2005
    The Flash vanishing in a *crisis*? [face_laugh]

Nice reference.

And I actually cheered when Dawson's dad appeared. For obvious reasons.

16. Katya Jade

Katya Jade Administrator Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jan 19, 2002
    He did not, unfortunately. But he did swagger a lot and flexed his muscles so...

Penguinator likes this.
  17. Yodaminch

Mar 6, 2002
    So, looks like we have another recurring character. Mild spoiler:

Tatsu Yamashiro (Katana) will be another of Ollie's mentors via Flashback. Guess she's working for Amanda then?

18. Penguinator

May 23, 2005
    So Seth Gable played "The Count," a Joker knock-off who happened to sell a drug called Vertigo.

Peter Stormare has just been cast as a drug dealer with the codename "Vertigo," whose name is Werner Zytle...which is the name of the current comics Count Vertigo.

19. Jordan1Kenobi

Jordan1Kenobi Force Ghost star 6

Sep 30, 2012
    I saw that, and I don't like it, because I thought Count Vertigo was the worst character in the show. From their description of a scientist with reptilian eyes who trained with the League of Assassins, I thought it was either going to be Professor Ojo or Copperhead.

20. Ulicus

Jul 24, 2005
    Before they began, did he say, "SHALL WE BEGIN!?"

If not, I will be sad.

I'm still gutted Deathstroke hasn't said it.

Penguinator likes this.
  21. Penguinator

May 23, 2005

I also hated "The Count" that showed up in the first and second seasons. I think getting Stormare as a proper Count Werner Vertigo is a great play to make, because 1) he won't be a ****** Joker ripoff and 2) Peter Stormare!

Darth_Invidious and GenAntilles like this.
  22. Yodaminch

Mar 6, 2002
    I do wonder how intentional the two Vertigos is. It's possible they did plan on this from the beginning. It wouldn't be the first time we'd seen a proto character before getting the real deal (Hood, Deathstroke, Canary). Perhaps Seth's Vertigo was the son and this is the father?

23. Ulicus

Jul 24, 2005
    I'd be very surprised if it was something they had in mind from the getgo... but I wouldn't be at all surprised if they tied them together, somehow.

heels1785 and Penguinator like this.
  24. Penguinator

May 23, 2005
    I highly doubt it was planned. The first season is so different from the second; for me, it definitely felt like what they did with the Count in season 2 was a deliberate "Clean slate, people want something more in line with the known comics character."

heels1785 likes this.
  25. soitscometothis

soitscometothis Chosen One star 6

Jul 11, 2003