main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Amph Cue The "Super Friends" Theme! - DC "CW-verse" Discussion

Discussion in 'Community' started by DarkEagle, Oct 13, 2012.

1. Darth_Invidious

Darth_Invidious Force Ghost star 6

Jun 21, 1999
    That's the Internet for you: no more secrets, no more suspense.

2. GenAntilles

GenAntilles Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jul 24, 2007
    I know... it's great. [face_dancing]

3. Darth_Invidious

Jun 21, 1999
    Maybe. Maybe not. It's one of those "from a certain point of view" things.

4. heels1785

heels1785 Skywalker Saga + JCC Manager / Finally Won A Draft star 10 Staff Member Manager

Dec 10, 2003
    Matt Nable has been fantastic as Ra's Al Ghul. His exchange with the blubbering Merlyn was magnificent, especially the line "Face your death with honor. Or at least dignity. There is a price you must pay for your crimes, that can only be measured in agony and blood - but know I will take no pleasure in this."

I don't doubt these writers, or anyone affiliated with the show, but I didn't know how Nable would turn out at first glance. Another brilliant casting decision.

Penguinator likes this.
  5. Penguinator

Penguinator Former Mod star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 23, 2005
    I haven't seen this yet but are you guys saying

THE LAZARUS PITS ARE IN? ARGH **** YES THANK YOU ARROW

6. Sith_Sensei__Prime

Sith_Sensei__Prime Chosen One star 6

May 22, 2000
    Glad to see that Felicity finally got some well earned release and sleep.

I knew Digg was going to ask Ollie to be his best man.

The son of Maseo and Tatsu is still alive.

7. heels1785

heels1785 Skywalker Saga + JCC Manager / Finally Won A Draft star 10 Staff Member Manager

Dec 10, 2003
    Re - Penguinator - not sure. It's implied, but I don't think they named it, or anything.

However -
    Just think about the decision Oliver's going to have to make. If he accepts the mantle of Ra's al Ghul, and the Laz pits are an option, he can bring back his father, his mother, and Tommy, and fix his percieved wrongs. I wonder if that will be brought in.

8. s65horsey

s65horsey Otter-loving Former EUC Mod star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 24, 2006
    Can we be a little courteous and put a warning with that spoiler? I know you labeled it spoiler but usually the spoilers are just things that have already aired in the most recent episode. That hasn't aired yet.

9. s65horsey

Jun 24, 2006
    It looks like in the preview for the next episode that:

He demonstrates the lazarus pit to Oliver. He dips his cut hand into the pool that Stephen Amell has to be talking about when he told us awhile ago that we'd already seen the pit we just didn't know it because they hadn't called it that yet. So we know its been on the show, but they have not referred to it by name yet.

10. Adam of Nuchtern

Adam of Nuchtern Force Ghost star 6

Sep 2, 2012
    I think his father's body is too far decayed for that.

11. heels1785

Dec 10, 2003
    Ah, okay. I didn't know that there was a point where it would no longer work, as long as you have the bones.

12. Penguinator

Penguinator Former Mod star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 23, 2005
    The idea generally has been that Ra's uses them when he's close to death, or to resurrect himself shortly after. They rejuvenate and can revive, but I don't think it's been done where someone's been dead for a while and brought back. Morrison had Grayson!Batman and Damian try and revive what they thought was Bruce's body but it wound up being an insane clone created by Darkseid (they figured this out once the temporary Lazarus madness didn't pass).

Although in Tower of Babel (the inspiration for Justice League: Doom, which is nowhere near as good as Tower of Babel), Ra's manages to completely distract Batman by exhuming his parents' graves, and when Bats finally tracks him down, offers/threatens to dunk them in the Lazarus Pit. It's outright stated it would bring them back there, if not heavily implied.

Anyways, watching this episode now.

Darth McClain and heels1785 like this.
  13. Darth_Invidious

Jun 21, 1999
    Not to mention that the whole thing would be too...Ghulish.

14. GenAntilles

Jul 24, 2007
    Sure I'll add double spoilers next time. Honestly I thought that pic had been posted to this thread and everyone knew about it already but I guess that was somewhere else online.

15. Ender Sai

Ender Sai Chosen One star 10

Feb 18, 2001
    OK, so I just watched the most recent episode and here's my issue with Arrow.

Arrow, I love, and I enjoy watching. But it feels like we are watching Compromise Batman, because we are. Ra's is not a Green Arrow villain; he's a Batman one. And when Ollie was presumed dead, the way in which the rest of the team stepped up is heavily reminiscent of what Dick and Tim did when Bruce disappeared in the Batman books (Battle for the Cowl arc, in which Dick Grayson became Batman to Damian Wayne's Robin - and was a damned good Bat too).

So Arrow, whilst good, is a reminder of what could be - a full fledged Batman or Nightwing series.

The Flash, on the other hand, is firmly rooted in the character and doesn't suffer an identity crisis. It helps that Geoff Johns has called it the most faithful adaptation ever; but even still, it feels comforable in its own skin and Arrow sometimes does, sometimes doesn't.

Penguinator likes this.
  16. Sith_Sensei__Prime

May 22, 2000
    I didn't watched the first and a half because the I thought Arrow was a Batman ripoff as he was all dark and brooding and out for vengeance. I started watching Arrow when Barry first appeared.

Anyway, I was glad to see that Ray Palmer have a tinted visor. What a Tony Stark moment.

17. Ender Sai

Feb 18, 2001
    Yes; a hero known for shrinking down to microscopic size instead being a Blue Beetle/Iron Man fusion is indeed something :(

They could have beat Ant-Man!

18. Sith_Sensei__Prime

May 22, 2000
    I don't know about that, but I think they certainly got the RoboCop reboot beat.

Ender Sai likes this.
  19. GenAntilles

Jul 24, 2007
  20. The2ndQuest

The2ndQuest Tri-Mod With a Mouth star 10 Staff Member Manager

Jan 27, 2000
    Alright, finally caught up! Unfortunately it seems my initial impressions were pretty spot on- the show is totally predictable- like, more predictable than anything else I've watched within recent memory. All the big twists from the identity of the Reverse Flash to Ronnie's survival to the time travel to the individual episode stories and the character behaviors are all telegraphed or obvious long, long before they are revealed. There have been no actual surprises or suspense throughout the series- it's kind of just going through the motions of an outline (the only exception to this is Wells's ultimate fallen-Booster-Gold-goal/origin/mystery).

The good news is that the majority of the problems of the series come down to the terrible writing- sure, a lot of the cast do not sell their supposed intelligence/occupations, but that's at least partially the fault of the dialogue they're given to deliver and the scenarios they're forced to deliver it in (the rest is just the overall younger casting of a CW show, but that's something you just have to accept going in). Everything else is executed pretty decently.

Usually any scenes with Shipp are pretty good (even though several of his appearances have just been redundant moments of him just talking teary-eyed through glass to Barry) and Cisco tends to get interesting whenever his subplot or flashback doesn't involve him having to play the geeky fanboy excuse for the rogue's gallery names (which isn't often but has begun to redeem the character for me beyond the schtick role he was designed to function in).

Oh, and the Arrow crossover was actually pretty decent (how was the flipside of that? Didn't record it since I haven't watched Arrow yet and couldn't record it because it had aired long before I knew about it)- and the actor playing Arrow seems more interesting/has greater range, which bodes well for that series (though the nerdy girl sidekick is a warning sign...).

And, as dp pointed out in another thread, it is nice that the show has avoided making the show dark and gritty as it just wouldn't have fit the character.

Though a lot of the villains of the week have been hit or miss (mostly miss), a few have stood out as genuinely interesting- most notably Cold and whoever that clock guy was that held the police station hostage. Oh, and thank god the whole Return of Ronnie story arc is over (at least for now)- it really derailed the season over something I couldn't care less about.

So, overall, I kinda characterize the show as a bad show that is competently executed. Or at least a badly written show that is competently executed. It just feels like it's aimed at a much younger demographic than it's supposedly intended for (as I said in another thread, it almost feels like it should be on the Disney Channel or Family Channel, but that's a bit too harsh- it's just that it has that same plain oatmeal feel)- and if it kinda owned up to that it would probably be passable as children's entertainment, but it just falls way short of teen or adult audience viewing standards, IMO.

That probably came across a but more negative than I intended, but it has been a bit of a slog- I've since regulated the show to background viewing status (since the plots/suspense generally do not matter, its episodes lend themselves well to not needing to be watched in a single sitting). I'm going to stick with it til the end of the season (I'm still curious to see the Tricksters and to give the series a fair season shake) but I'm almost certainly not coming back for next season unless the show pulls off something miraculous by the season finale.

21. s65horsey

Jun 24, 2006
    Wow that is pretty harsh.

Darkslayer likes this.
  22. Ender Sai

Feb 18, 2001
    Yeah, gotta agree with horsey. I think your assessment is pretty unfair Quest.

Darkslayer likes this.
  23. heels1785

Dec 10, 2003
    Yeah, I remember your comments in the Gotham thread, T2Q. Certainly a different opinion than most, but I've read your commentary enough to know that you are an honest and thoughtful reviewer (not a blind fanboy), so I am intrigued.

I am a huge fan of the writing on Flash and Arrow, so I would just offer this - Flash needed to make a sharp turn to separate themselves from the very successful CW franchise, and they needed to strike a different tone than the Batman Begins-ish one taken by Arrow. So they picked DC's version of Deadpool, the goofiest of the well-known characters, and gave him a relatively lighthearted show - with some drama to temper things here and there, such as Barry's relationship with his father. They've also been quite bold by introducing a plotline as complex as time travel in the first season, and certainly in taking on Grodd - a villain that no live-action show or film has ever approached - and they're working on the budget of the CW.

Just offering a bit of my own perspective - thanks for sharing your thoughts.

24. Yodaminch

Yodaminch Chosen One star 6

Mar 6, 2002
  25. The2ndQuest

The2ndQuest Tri-Mod With a Mouth star 10 Staff Member Manager

Jan 27, 2000
    I definitely give it credit for what elements it has included- like you said, Grodd has never been in anything live action before, and it isn't avoiding the more outlandish elements. The broader stuff is not one of the show's faults by any stretch (nor is the lighter tone)- like I said, I think it's more the individual episode writing that is coming up short for me. Which is a shame, because I really want to like those broader elements they're working with more, but it's difficult when you don't really care about the characters.

And apologies again if the initial post was harsh- not trying to rip down anyone's enjoyment of it (I was a little surprised it's been received so well, which made me hesitate slightly, but I had to be honest) though I think kinda condensing my impressions of the entire season up til now into a single post might have accentuated that a bit with the length somewhat.

heels1785 likes this.