main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Amph Cue The "Super Friends" Theme! - DC "CW-verse" Discussion

Discussion in 'Community' started by DarkEagle, Oct 13, 2012.

1. darth-sinister

darth-sinister Manager Emeritus star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 28, 2001
    *ahem*. "Crisis On Infinite Earths".

Darth_Invidious and Ender Sai like this.
  2. Sith_Sensei__Prime

Sith_Sensei__Prime Chosen One star 6

May 22, 2000
    I didn't forget. It just wasn't listed as the key elements for the success for Supergirl as posted above. And to be fair, there wasn't anyone in the industry that had a track record for great success with comic books based shows circa 2011.

My bad. The difference is the same as neither one of them was a well known Supergirl centric storyline.

3. soitscometothis

soitscometothis Chosen One star 6

Jul 11, 2003
    Eh, I don't know about this one... can girls even be super-heroes?

Sith_Sensei__Prime likes this.
  4. Sith_Sensei__Prime

May 22, 2000
    Of course they can.

I love Lynda Carter's version of Wonder Woman.

It's just been the more recent track record of female super hero TV shows i.e. the rebooted Bionic Woman, Birds of Prey and failed Wonder Woman 2011 pilot hasn't been good.

I'm hoping that Supergirl breaks away from that trend.

5. GenAntilles

GenAntilles Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jul 24, 2007
    If I recall Birds of Prey was doing about as well as Smallville. The issue from what I've heard was WB did not like having a Batman show and canned it as they thought it would interfere with Batman movies.

6. dp4m

dp4m Chosen One star 10

Nov 8, 2001
    Guys, stop responding to anything about the Wonder Woman pilot with anything other than "it had absolutely nothing to do with Wonder Woman's origins and was, instead, a woman dressed as Wonder Woman acting as a vigilante"

7. Sith_Sensei__Prime

May 22, 2000
    Well WB was the studio that greenlit and produced the show. It would odd for them to cancel a show they put a large amount of time, money and effort into. Plus, Birds of Prey aired 2002-2003, while Batman Begins didn't hit theaters until 2005 so there wasn't any overlapping. According to Wiki the series was canceled after ratings fell sharply in subsequent weeks. That makes sense to me as they didn't cancel Smallville which ran from 2001-2011 and Superman Returns hit theaters in 2006.

That's my point; character development and story matter to the success of a TV show. You can have Supergirl show up in her costume, make her the powerful character on TV and say it's going to be a huge success. You need more than that.

Here's a set photo.

[​IMG]

8. Ender Sai

Ender Sai Chosen One star 10

Feb 18, 2001
    Oh well I'm convinced; this will be terrible and despite all indicators it shows women do not belong as superheroes.

9. heels1785

heels1785 Skywalker Saga + JCC Manager / Finally Won A Draft star 10 Staff Member Manager

Dec 10, 2003
    If you have a moment, can you expand upon this? I am genuinely interested to hear the examples you cite and the missteps taken.

10. Sith_Sensei__Prime

May 22, 2000
    The Flash - Villains Look Ahead Trailer

11. heels1785

heels1785 Skywalker Saga + JCC Manager / Finally Won A Draft star 10 Staff Member Manager

Dec 10, 2003
    The end of that trailer with Barry screaming is awesome. I can't wait.

12. Darth_Invidious

Darth_Invidious Force Ghost star 6

Jun 21, 1999
    Couldn't help noticing Mark throwing out that sweet Joker voice for a bit there.

13. TiniTinyTony

TiniTinyTony JCC Super Bowl Pick 'Em Winner star 7 VIP - Game Winner

Mar 9, 2003
    Is the 4 week break normal? It seems Arrow is only on a 3 week one.

14. Dingo

Dingo Jedi Grand Master star 5

Apr 23, 2001
    Yeah, Whiplash shows very little of her skills, but I think people are citing that because they don't want to admit they've watched Glee, which is the only way you would have any idea of how well she can act.

Re: Miles Teller, there are elements of Reed's obsessive nature in his Whiplash performance, but hopefully we get something closer to his general enthusiasm from Footloose (even though we know the path that Trank is taking is less likely to be that light).

The Wonder Woman pilot failed because it was terrible. Not as a comic book adaptation, just terrible in general. And I say that as a giant fan of Kelley's and Palicki's work.
    The success of this show is going to hinge on one thing: can they make the character relatable and solid enough outside of the superhero gimmick for people to get invested in her. And the track record of the people involved leans heavily in the "yes" column.

15. darth-sinister

Jun 28, 2001
    Define well known? Are we talking about the general public? Because almost none of the movie and television adaptations from DC and Marvel's brands are well known in that case. Most people have forgot that Superman died, much less had a different costume. Same with Batman and Spider-Man. Or that Clark and Peter were married. That any other Robin exists outside of Dick Grayson. That there were multiple men who dressed as Captain America. That Tony Stark was crippled, much less a raging alcoholic. Or that the gray Hulk exists. If you're talking about within the fandom, then the first Crisis was known for having a key issue where Kara Zor-El died. It's why that issue is still expensive to this day.

16. darth-sinister

Jun 28, 2001

Joe told Cisco that he sent her to the movies.

17. Sith_Sensei__Prime

May 22, 2000
    Yeah, that was pretty sweet. His Trickster was the prelude to his Joker. It's fun to see that fans adore his Joker voice as much as his portrayal of Luke Skywalker. Which makes his return to the Trickster all the more endearing.

I don't watch alot of CW shows, and this being the first season of The Flash it might be normal. I'm thinking the reason why it takes longer for Flash to get in the can than Arrow is the special effects needed; like Reserve Flash getting more screen time as well as weapons the villains use, plus appearances from characters like Firestorm and Grodd.

TiniTinyTony likes this.
  18. Sith_Sensei__Prime

May 22, 2000
    Well known = Commonly known or at least heard of by comic readers and/or the nerd community. (i.e. The Dark Knight Returns, The Winter Soldier, Planet Hulk, Demon in a Bottle, Superman Birthright, Blackest Night, etc).

I would agree that the death of Supergirl in Crisis on Infinite Earths is a memorable and epic moment, but it's not a Supergirl centric story.

It would appear that Supergirl is best known for getting killed in Crisis and being Superman's cousin.

19. Sith_Sensei__Prime

May 22, 2000
    Promo images for Atom in upcoming episode

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

GenAntilles likes this.
  20. Sith_Sensei__Prime

May 22, 2000
  21. darth-sinister

Jun 28, 2001

I haven't kept up, but I would assume that Nightwing would be Dick and one of the Robins would be in Teen Titans.

22. GenAntilles

Jul 24, 2007
    I thought for sure the line up for the show was using Nightwing instead of Robin, but someone can correct me on that if I'm wrong. But I'm 99% sure they are using Nightwing Dick for Teen Titans.

23. darth-sinister

Jun 28, 2001
  24. Sith_Sensei__Prime

May 22, 2000
    I couldn't think of any Supergirl stories off the top of my head, but the list by CBR refreshed my memory of the Superman/Batman #8-13 “The Supergirl from Krypton” storyline, which I found to be awesome. (I miss Michael Turner) The animated adaption of that story was cool as well and I watch it every once and a while.

25. GenAntilles

Jul 24, 2007
    How many Green Arrow stories can you think of? Yet Arrow is very very popular...