main
side
curve

Amph CW's The Flash

Discussion in 'Community' started by Sith_Sensei__Prime, May 15, 2014.

1. Sith_Sensei__Prime

Sith_Sensei__Prime Chosen One star 6

May 22, 2000
    Here's the trailer to CW's Flash TV Show

Juliet316 likes this.
  2. Sith_Sensei__Prime

May 22, 2000
    Here's the extended Flash trailer.

Could a Mod please move this thread to the Amphitheater?

3. Juliet316

Juliet316 JCC Game Winner star 10 VIP - Game Winner

Apr 27, 2005
    Awesome, awesome trailers.

Yes, definitely needs to be retagged Amph.

4. Sith_Sensei__Prime

May 22, 2000
    Funny thing is, because of the extended trailer, I don't feel I need to watch the actual pilot. Additionally, I'm still not feeling the actor cast as Barry.

Darth_Smeagol likes this.
  5. VadersLaMent

VadersLaMent Chosen One star 10

Apr 3, 2002
    This doesn't look that good.

Darth_Smeagol likes this.
  6. heels1785

heels1785 JCC/PT/New Films Manager star 8 Staff Member Manager

Dec 10, 2003
    CW budget isn't going to allow for flashy effects or great trailers. But if anyone from Arrow is associated with the production and writing of this series (hint: they are), I have total faith in it.

Also, they cast Barry perfectly, we've already seen that. Time to find him his Slade Wlison- my guess is that it'll be Zoom.

Souderwan likes this.
  7. Kenneth Morgan

Kenneth Morgan Chosen One star 5

May 27, 1999
    Will Mark Hamill be back as the Trickster?

8. Blur

Blur Jedi Grand Master star 4

Aug 11, 1999
    Recently got caught up with S2 of Arrow, which was excellent. Liked the origin of Barry Allen/The Flash in the earlier part of the season, which was a set-up for the show this Fall. Also just saw the extended Flash trailer, and am really looking forward to this - I like the fact that the DC universe is coming together here (re: the Arrow cameo), just like in the comics I read as a kid.

I was a big fan of the 1990-1991 Flash TV series, and remember watching those episodes as they came out. The show had great effects for the time, and I was disappointed that the series ended so quickly.

I'm not too thrilled with The Flash's uniform on this new series; I wish they had kept the more foam-like look of the uniform from the '90's series; this new uniform seems like it's made more out of leather/plastic - makes sense, since The Flash is running at extreme speeds & the uniform needs to be durable, but I think they could have come up with something better than this. However, this may grow on me - and, I am really looking forward to the show.

9. Ender Sai

Ender Sai Bitterest Ex-Mod star 10

Feb 18, 2001
    Barry's casting was perfect. Looking at the red, velvety condom full of walnuts that was the John Wesley Shipp Flash, they got it all wrong. Runners are lean creatures, they have to be - carrying around all that muscle just means you're working harder to maintain pace. Barry should be lean, lithe, and with no fat on him. Oliver, sure, should be bulkier - he has a need for muscle mass in his brawling. Barry doesn't.

Dingo likes this.
  10. Moviefan2k4

Moviefan2k4 Jedi Master star 4

Dec 29, 2009
    I was surprised by how much the extended trailer impressed me; I hope the new show really works. I haven't seen "Arrow" at all, but "The Flash" may end up changing that. I like that John Wesley Shipp has a role in the pilot, and I liked Danielle Panabaker in Disney's parody "Sky High" and the TV legal drama "Shark" with James Woods. The costume reminds me a lot of Ben Affleck's suit from "Daredevil", which is cool...but this is the CW we're talking about. They're notorious for dragging plotlines out too long, then solving them in 30 seconds or less. I don't want to end up drawn to another scenario like "Smallville", where almost a decade of waiting resulted in a lackluster finale.

11. Juliet316

Apr 27, 2005
    Why isn't this tagged Amph?

12. Ender Sai

Feb 18, 2001
    OP was posted by a massive nub?

Souderwan likes this.
  13. I Are The Internets

I Are The Internets Force Ghost star 8

Nov 20, 2012
    This looks real good yessir.

14. Dingo

Dingo Jedi Grand Master star 5

Apr 23, 2001
    So, I just finished watching a copy of the pilot......

Lightning has struck twice. Just like with Arrow, they've managed to capture the essence of Flash, and make him accessible to current audiences. Grant Gustin's natural charisma shines through, and he has an earnestness that makes Barry Allen believable and differentiates him from Oliver Queen so that this in now way feels like a retread of the same ground. The other younger leads don't get as much time to shine, but there is enough there that I think they should be okay over time. Tom Cavanagh slots right into the role as an elder/mentor to Barry. Of the main actors, it's surprisingly Jesse L. Martin that comes off the weakest, fitting okay into the police aspects of his role as Det. Joe West (having been catching reruns of Law and Order it seems like he slipped back into the familiar skin of Det. Ed Green) but being a little less convincing in the paternal aspects of the role. Hopefully that smooths out over time.

John Wesley Shipp is exactly who we thought, and is Henry Allen. He appears mainly in flashbacks until near the end where there is a scene between him and Gustin, with a natural chemistry to their interaction.

Stephen Amell makes the known appearance, and it's a good scene showing the passing on of lessons learnt. The effects at the end of the scene are a little sloppy, but forgivable.

There are some nice hints dropped for the future and other interactions in the wider DC universe. Rick Cosnett's Det. Eddie Thawne (gee, could they give any more away....) transferred from Keystone City. As they are going through the partially destroyed STAR Lab facility, Barry and Wells pass a destroyed animal cage with a tag on it of "Grood". We also get the first use of the tag "metahuman", and the explosion of the particle accelerator is being used as the McGuffin to allow for the more fantasic elements of the DC universe to come into the original more grounded Arrow set-up.

The last scene though is giant foreboding. So I'm going to double spoiler tag it.
    Wells moves his wheelchair up to a section of wall that at his touch dissolves and reveals an odd looking room with just a pedastal at one end. He then stands up from his wheelchair and walks to the pedastal, which activates at his touch to project the front cover of The Central City Citizen from April 25, 2024. The headline is "Flash Missing, Vanishes in Crisis". Two other articles on the page are titled "Red Skies Vanish" and "Wayne Tech/Queen Inc Merger Complete".

So, Wells is obviously from the future. Could the use of "Thawne" be a red herring and Wells actually be Professor Zoom?

Penguinator and mavjade like this.
  15. Penguinator

Penguinator Jedi Grand Master star 6

May 23, 2005
    I definitely agree, lightning has struck twice here. This show really hits the ground running. Everything's pretty quick and there's none of the grimness that's become all too common in Arrow. While Arrow can often feel like Batman by any other name (and that's rather fitting, given the character's origins), the Flash exudes optimism.

My only complaints - Eddie Thawne - they've tried to make Eobard Thawne sound more normal, and I'm not sure it works. Eager to see where this goes. The sci-fi parts of this are already shaping up to be great fun. Can't wait for the fall.

I wonder how many puns we can get into conversation about this show?

16. Darth_Invidious

Darth_Invidious Force Ghost star 6

Jun 21, 1999
    Oh yes, I'm all in. Lightning has, indeed, apparently struck twice. I only hope that the writers don't go the Smallville route by making many of Barry's Rogues "mutants du jour" created by the same incident that birthed The Flash.

17. dp4m

dp4m Chosen One star 10

Nov 8, 2001
    I'm very interested in this show because it's DC's chance to finally do something non-dark and gritty. The Flash absolutely, positively shouldn't be that way.

If he's not, it can be awesome. If he is, well... yeah...

18. Penguinator

Penguinator Jedi Grand Master star 6

May 23, 2005
    So Killer Ice and Vibe are Barry's support team? Also, Harrison Wells must be the Reverse-Flash. And Eddie Thawne, who is clearly going to be this show's version of Eobard Thawne, except probably not from the future.

I think Grant Gustin fits in this much better than Amell does in Arrow. Ollie's voice feels unnatural whenever he's got to say tough guy stuff, and I don't mean the voice changer. This show's just more fun already :p

19. heels1785

heels1785 JCC/PT/New Films Manager star 8 Staff Member Manager

Dec 10, 2003
    Just watched the pilot.

Absolutely outstanding. Jesse L. Martin is the perfect foil for Paul Blackthorne. Tom Cavanagh also brilliant. Please, Arrow and Flash team, keep making more shows and bringing in more characters - you've got the golden touch DC needs.

The scene with Oliver was the best part of the episode. I can't wait to see how Zoom is brought in.

Also - end scene - WayneTech/Queen Inc merger easter egg. Nice.

20. Yodaminch

Yodaminch Force Ghost star 6

Mar 6, 2002
    Wow. That was good. Any concerns I had are pretty much gone after such a strong pilot. It's far better than Arrow's pilot episode was in fact.

So like Static Shock and Smallville, the particle accelerator birthed a bunch of metahumans. We have Weather Wizard. We know Grodd is out there. And it doesn't take a genius to figure Killer Frost and Vibe could manifest abilities at any time using this plot device- and my money is on Vibe first if the goal is to make us like Frost before she goes evil. Grant Gustin did a marvelous job continuing his portrayal of Barry. Whatever quirks were present in his Arrow appearances are pretty much gone in this one. I also like how they tied into Arrow while still making the origin stand on its own. Aside from a brief mention of being in Starling, there's really no reason one would have to watch his episodes in Arrow before watching this. Nice job by the writers.

I personally thought Detective West was great. From the beginning we see he cares for Barry-covering for him when he's late, allowing him to go out after solving the crime, trusting his findings to find the thieves. I think the paternal side was a bit harder because a) Barry was in a coma for 9 months and he's worried about him and b) After nearly losing Barry, he fears losing Iris too (hence his anger at Barry when Iris was in danger). We also see that while he cares for Barry, he never buys into his crazy theories since his mom died. So it was great seeing him finally believe Barry at the end. I do like that he's in the inner circle while Quentin Lance still remains in the dark with Ollie's identity. That said, I got too much of a Captain Stacey vibe at the end with the "don't tell Iris." stuff.

Now Wells intrigues me. We assume he's the bad guy. But what if he's gone back to save Flash? THAT would be a great twist. Unlikely of course, but a great one. Sort of how the first episode of Arrow had us believing Moira was more evil than she turned out to be.

So using this metahuman plot device, they avoided Weather wizard having his usual control rod. So what does that mean for our Rogues? Captain Cold could easily just have cold powers over the gun- I think the new 52 one did that. Boomerang could be interesting. Not sure about some of the others. I definitely hope they give us the Rogues though. That alone has a lot of mileage for the show.

21. Juliet316

Apr 27, 2005
    Okay, I'll finally bite. Where are you guys finding the pilot episode? Is it up on the CW's site or something?

22. Juliet316

Apr 27, 2005
    Sorry for the double post (edit time ran out)

Found this interview while looking for the Pilot on YouTube (because somebody will inevitably upload it sooner or later):

23. Dingo

Dingo Jedi Grand Master star 5

Apr 23, 2001
    There are dark recesses of the internet upon which many things can be found.

As to Jesse L. Martin/Det. West, my view is skewed by the fact that I've seen him in so many things where he has acted a lot better than this. And when a lot of the other principles put in a decent showing, it shows it to be less the directing they were getting and more an individual performance thing. I do believe that it won't be this way the entire time, but as a fan of Martin, it's a little disappointing.

heels1785 likes this.
  24. Katya Jade

Katya Jade Administrator Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jan 19, 2002
    Ugh, can't wait to watch this. I'm glad to hear that it's good. The premise was so good on Arrow and I was really hoping it would be worth watching.

25. Ender Sai

Feb 18, 2001
    It's really damned good. It's the right kind of optimism and joy that you want from a show like this. And really, aside from Batman who NEEDS A TV SHOW GUYS, there's not too many DC characters you could make work like this. Nightwing? Yep. Superman? Nah. Lantern? Nah. Flash is perfect though.

Penguinator likes this.