main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Speculation Cyborgs and Genetic Engineering

Discussion in 'Archive: Disney Era Films' started by Ghost, Jun 14, 2013.

1. ezekiel22x

ezekiel22x Chosen One star 5

Aug 9, 2002
    I tend to agree with Scummy. Of course that's not to say that SF can't be Big Idea capital L literature (The Dispossessed is one of the best novels of any classification I've read after all). On the whole, though, my favorite distinction came from Matthew Stover. Paraphrasing him, he said that science fiction is generally about the creative application of technology, and epic fantasy the conflicts and truths of inner self. I dug it.

2. Ghost

Ghost Chosen One star 8

Oct 13, 2003
    You can still have genetic engineering and cyborgs and have it still feel like Star Wars, still feel mythological. Like I said, they have both already been shown in the first 6 episodes, just not used to their full potential.

3. Scummy_and_Villainous

Scummy_and_Villainous Jedi Knight star 3

May 13, 2013
    That's just the way I feel about it, that doesn't mean that's what it is. Clearly I struck a nerve with you so much so that I deserved some derision according to you. I'll be sure to be less "nonsense spouting" and "grating" for you the next time you take it upon yourself to read what I feel about certain things.

Trebor Sabreon likes this.
  4. Sistros

Sistros Jedi Grand Master star 6

Jul 24, 2010
    That's just the way I feel about it, that doesn't mean that's what it is. Clearly I struck a nerve with you so much so that I deserved some derision according to you. I'll be sure to be less "nonsense spouting" and "grating" for you the next time you take it upon yourself to read what I feel about certain things.
    ----------------

don't let other people put you off having an opinion,

if it is yours, then share it, you didn't flame or bait anyone with your post, so don't worry about it.

As for the topic in question:

Cyborgs to me is more of a Trek thing for some reason.

I'm with the Fantasy over sci-fi aswell :p

5. BigAl6ft6

BigAl6ft6 Chosen One star 8

Nov 12, 2012
    There's another half-machine aside from Lobot who has actually been quite pronounced in the Star Wars series:

[​IMG]

6. A Chorus of Disapproval

A Chorus of Disapproval Head Admin & TV Screaming Service star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Aug 19, 2003

Don't take it so badly. If it makes you feel better, she puts a lot of effort into trying to sound condescending and more insightful than the rest of us Philistines on here. Appreciate the effort.

7. VadersLaMent

VadersLaMent Chosen One star 10

Apr 3, 2002
    The technology of a GFFA seems to allow for anything. You want a new hand grown? Here you go. You settle for a cyborg part? Here ya go. There are probably Slicers who have implants like Lobot but perhaps not so obvious and skim the galactic holonet with their mind.

The GFFA has a problem with life extension that is not inherant to your race I assume because all living things have midiclorians and they do not get tampered with very well. Your race already lives to 900 years? You are good to go. Limited to 120 years? No amount of genetic engineering will tamper with the midis enough to extend your life. Hence, Palpatine sought the power his former master had, to influence the midis directly to achieve immortality.

8. WatTamborWoo

WatTamborWoo Jedi Master star 3

Jan 22, 2011
    Aurra sing also had an antenna and computer chip implanted in her head.

Summer Dreamer likes this.
  9. ShaneP

ShaneP Ex-Mod Officio star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Mar 26, 2001
    To me, SW's flirtation with cyborgs and genetic engineering is always more window dressing and matter of fact than any social commentary attached to those topics. They're really just there to enliven the SW universe.

darklordoftech likes this.
  10. Ghost

Ghost Chosen One star 8

Oct 13, 2003
    I know, I'm just wondering if we'll see more of it in the ST.

With such advanced genetic engineering and cybernetics, it's kind of odd that it wasn't more prevalent in the OT and PT.

11. GODLIKE

GODLIKE Jedi Youngling star 1

Nov 28, 2012
    Like Cell from DBZ?

12. Jedirush2112

Jedirush2112 Jedi Master star 4

Apr 10, 2013
    I like the idea, but Star Wars: The Return of the Terminator is not what I really want to pay $$$ for!
    o_O

13. Episode Swag

Episode Swag Jedi Knight star 1

Jan 9, 2013
    I think judging by the repetition of similar themes/scenes/motifs that are so prevalent in this series, I am counting on there to be some sort of cyborg representation. Not sure on the clones though, but they may get replaced by a different kind of motif that is somewhat similar.

And lol at Science Fiction being all about the techno jargon. SF is more about analyzing humanity in ways that other genres cannot. While fantasy is more about adventure and being taken to worlds we have never seen before. I guess if I were to summarize the two genres in two short ways they would be this:

Science Fiction questions and explores aspects of humanity

Fantasy illustrates stories about humanity in a grandiose fashion

Circular_Logic and Darth_Pevra like this.
  14. VadersLaMent

VadersLaMent Chosen One star 10

Apr 3, 2002
    It is a symbol of mankind subcoming to The Machine. Think THX1138. People becoming more machine-like. Losing our humanity as we hope technology cures our woes. The Machine of control over citizens. The Death Star blowing up Alderaan was not just for a planet busting effect it shows a living world replaced by an unliving one.

FRAGWAGON and Darth_Pevra like this.
  15. WatTamborWoo

Jan 22, 2011
    This. I hope the theme continues in VII-IX.
    When I tell people about the tension in SW between technology and mankind (which is meant to be a reflection on our own relationships to technology) I tend to use the "Use the force, Luke" moment. He turns off his targeting computer but not the X-wing engines. We use technology but it should not dominate...it changes our attitudes..."he's more machine than man". The PT continued this theme with "if droids could think" and then how human beings are debased when they are used like droids (clones to fight battles). All this is in the background to the kinetic storytelling around the Skywalker family. If it continues in a new way, perhaps with new technological relationships, then the ST could be really interesting.

Darth Chiznuk and FRAGWAGON like this.
  16. Ghost

Ghost Chosen One star 8

Oct 13, 2003
    I wonder if "liberations" of the droids and living slaves across the galaxy could be one of the overarching plots of the ST. They've been building up to a droid rebellion for a while... "if droids could think," "we don't serve your kind here," etc. As long as it's not done in the generic way, but with it's own Star Wars twist that feels right, I could see it being very interesting, even if it's only a subplot during the larger war that will inevitably happen.

WatTamborWoo and Darth_Pevra like this.
  17. HankSolo

HankSolo Jedi Master star 3

Dec 3, 2012
    So long as its not a Terminator ripoff, it's fine.

18. The Hellhammer

The Hellhammer Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 4, 2012
    Here's a pretty badass looking Sith, who can easily be either cybernetic or fully organic.

[​IMG]

19. Ganger

Ganger Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 9, 1999

Holy sh . . .

I never though of it that way[face_hypnotized]

20. The Hellhammer

The Hellhammer Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 4, 2012
    I always thought it was a very poor play on the word "Robot."

"So...George...who's this guy? He's like...a droid, cyborg, a robot...?"
    "No, no, no... he's... ...Lobot."
    "...yeah, alright."

Episode Swag likes this.
  21. EHT

EHT Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 13, 2007

Yeah, I actually thought it was a combination of that and the lobotomy thing.

22. A Chorus of Disapproval

A Chorus of Disapproval Head Admin & TV Screaming Service star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Aug 19, 2003
    That combination is it, I think...

23. Ganger

Dec 9, 1999
    I'm cool with it, but what would suck for me is for the word CYBORG to be used in the movie.

24. WatTamborWoo

Jan 22, 2011
    Probably because it sounds too... "BORG" and thus trekkie...

25. Ganger

Dec 9, 1999
    Like the "LASER SWORD" moment from Episode 1. :rolleyes: