main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Lit Books Cynically Reliving the X-Wing Series

Discussion in 'Literature' started by Cynical_Ben, Jan 2, 2014.

1. Force Smuggler

Force Smuggler Force Ghost star 7

Sep 2, 2012
    Tie-Fighter, Jedi Interceptor, Twin Suns Squadron etc. Give us anything like that.

2. Gorefiend

Gorefiend Chosen One star 5

Oct 23, 2004

The ROTS fleet battle is actually a perfect example of what is wrong with that movie, also plenty of fighters there :p

Sarge likes this.
  3. Force Smuggler

Force Smuggler Force Ghost star 7

Sep 2, 2012
    The first minute was pure awesomeness. It was ruined when it focused on Anakin, Obi-Wan and the Buzz droids.

4. son_of_skywalker03

son_of_skywalker03 Force Ghost star 4

Dec 7, 2003
    You say "wrong" I say "awesomely-right".[face_peace]
    And you really can't have a "fleet battle" without scores of fighters. [face_beatup]

5. son_of_skywalker03

Dec 7, 2003
    Ok, the buzzdroids could've been trimmed way down (if not completely out). But the size and scope of the action on-screen was awesome to see.

Dak Oolron and Force Smuggler like this.
  6. Iron_lord

Iron_lord Chosen One star 10

Sep 2, 2012
    Figure out what makes for a good "ships vs ships story" (Age of Sail, maybe? Or fictionalizations of WW1 and WW2 fleet battles?) - and take inspiration from that.

Dak Oolron likes this.
  7. Ulicus

Ulicus Lapsed Moderator star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 24, 2005
    son_of_skywalker03 and fett 4

A quick reminder that double posting is viewed as spam. When yours is the last post in a thread, you are expected to make use of the edit function rather than just posting again.

8. GrandAdmiralJello

GrandAdmiralJello Comms Admin ❉ Moderator Communitatis Litterarumque star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Nov 28, 2000
    The starfighter battles are the most boring part of the X-wing books. It's the rest of them that I enjoy -- which is about the opposite from what I felt when I first read them, but whatever.

9. Jedi Ben

Jedi Ben Chosen One star 9

Jul 19, 1999
    You all need to read David Weber!

Sarge likes this.
  10. Gorefiend

Oct 23, 2004
    Yeah but Honor Harrington is so much more then just big ships shooting at each other. :p

AdmiralWesJanson likes this.
  11. Jedi Ben

Jul 19, 1999
    Oh quite, but it takes a certain ingenuity to make scenes of ships chucking a few thousand missiles at each other exciting!

EDIT: I'm really liking Terekhov right now and he's going to be teaming up with Henke!

AdmiralWesJanson likes this.
  12. son_of_skywalker03

Dec 7, 2003
    I'll probably have to make a point to remember that after getting through The Silmarillion and The Children of Hurin.

13. Jedi Ben

Jul 19, 1999
    Start with On Basilisk Station

Sarge likes this.
  14. Chewbacca89

Chewbacca89 Jedi Master star 5

Oct 25, 2012
    Haven't even started the re-read get and we are at 3 pages lol. Off to a good start!

15. Gorefiend

Oct 23, 2004
    Do it before, the Silmarillion is like trying to read the Bible, so it might take you years just because of the way it is written. ;)

16. son_of_skywalker03

Dec 7, 2003
    I'm already nearly halfway through. Which I'm told is toughest part to slog through.[face_laugh]

Do me a favor, send that to me in a PM so I know right where to find it later on down the road. Including the author's name, again.[face_peace]

17. Revanfan1

Revanfan1 Force Ghost star 6

Jun 3, 2013
    Never read it and it's the only Tolkien book I don't have a desire to read. The LOTR trilogy and The Hobbit are true literature masterpieces.

18. Jedi Ben

Jul 19, 1999
    You don't wish to know the significance of the phrase "a Balrog of Morgoth" ?

Done!

Oh and while we're taking of recommendations....

Nikolai Dante: Volume 1: Too Cool To Kill has been available for the last year, go and buy it because this year sees Volume 2 and 3 be re-printed and re-titled by Rebellion! In total, the story is 11 volumes and one of the ambitious sci-fi epics you'll ever read, it is a little known gem in every respect! It is a very strongly sequential story that has been greatly hindered by Volume 3 being infamously out of print, so take advantage of the upcoming opportunity!

Revanfan1 and son_of_skywalker03 like this.
  19. DigitalMessiah

DigitalMessiah Chosen One star 6

Feb 17, 2004
    I liked The Silmarillion better than anything else.

imiller, Sarge and Revanfan1 like this.
  20. son_of_skywalker03

Dec 7, 2003
    Some of Sil is slow going, but then there's parts that you'll whip right through. Much like Lord of the Rings, if you're at all like me. The Sam/Frodo scenes after they depart the group were a bit of a slog. Yet the scenes with Gandalf would fly by. I often found myself realizing that I had read 20 pages of nothing but dialogue go by quicker than 5 pages of hobbits walking in circles.

Revanfan1 likes this.
  21. DigitalMessiah

DigitalMessiah Chosen One star 6

Feb 17, 2004
  22. Jedi Ben

Jul 19, 1999
    What's that? A poser in a green X-Wing!

23. Revanfan1

Jun 3, 2013
    Maybe I'll give it a try sometime. And for the record, I did know the significance of "Morgoth" just because I flipped through the Silmarillion in Hastings one time and saw something about "The Dark Lord Morgoth" or whatever...but yeah, maybe sometime. I wouldn't want to buy it without reading it first though.

24. Jedi Ben

Jul 19, 1999
    Well, that's what libraries are for and while you're there, read Nikolai Dante too!

Gamiel and Revanfan1 like this.
  25. Revanfan1

Jun 3, 2013
    Noted. Anyways, back to X-Wings. :p

son_of_skywalker03 likes this.