main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Lit Books Cynically Reliving the X-Wing Series

Discussion in 'Literature' started by Cynical_Ben, Jan 2, 2014.

1. imiller

imiller Jedi Grand Master star 4

Apr 26, 2004
    Great reviews! It's nice to see them all together as a unit.

Revanfan1 likes this.
  2. Revanfan1

Revanfan1 Force Ghost star 6

Jun 3, 2013
    So, Cynical_Ben, shall you do a "Cynically Demolishing Fate of the Jedi" next? ;)

Draconarius likes this.
  3. DigitalMessiah

DigitalMessiah Chosen One star 6

Feb 17, 2004
    just do cynically reliving matthew stover's works

Force Smuggler and Revanfan1 like this.
  4. Revanfan1

Jun 3, 2013
    I'm not sure one could do that cynically.

5. DigitalMessiah

Feb 17, 2004
    I assumed cynically was being used ironically.

6. Draconarius

Draconarius Jedi Grand Master star 4

Feb 27, 2005

... but that would require the rest of us read the books, too. [face_sick]

Revanfan1 likes this.
  7. DigitalMessiah

Feb 17, 2004
    It would make me feel like I didn't completely waste my time.

Revanfan1 likes this.
  8. Revanfan1

Jun 3, 2013
    That's okay, I was, uh...planning a reread of them anyways. I think the first four books are good...and Allston's are great, even. After that it kind of falls apart, and I know I'll dread rereading Apocalypse because it's a pile of...ugh...but I do think that Outcast and Backlash, and even Abyss and to a certain extend Omen, are worth it though.

But anyways...yeah.

9. DigitalMessiah

Feb 17, 2004
    son i am disappoint

I wouldn't actually reread them.

10. RedVad

RedVad Jedi Knight star 3

Sep 29, 2012
    The Falcon seemed like a powerful ship with all the "special" modifications.

X-Wings and Y-Wings didn't do so well against TIE fighters in the Death Star scene.

Darth's TIE is meant to be stronger according to EU but originally he was just in a normal TIE and Lucasfilm only made it look different so you could tell which fighter he was in.

11. Revanfan1

Jun 3, 2013
    I haven't decided for sure if I am or not. I'm planning on it because I really love those first four books. I really, really want to read them again. But Apocalypse, I just...I don't know. I think if I reread them I will probably end up driving a spike through my head by the time I finish Ascension. For now I'm not sure I can convince myself to actually do it...I'm thinking of reading the Outbound Flight "saga" first–Outbound Flight, Tatooine Ghost, and Survivor's Quest–and then I'll decide if I actually hate myself enough to make myself reread that whole series.

If I do, I will likely have a lot of angry sputtering to do on here somewhere in the next few months. At least LOTF, despite doing unspeakable things to many characters, actually had acceptably readable books for the entire series. FOTJ just falls apart starting with Allies and I have a tough time even slogging through those (except Conviction, which has just enough Allston-ism to make it mostly acceptable). And, just for laughs, if I do reread FOTJ, I may go through picturing all the cast as the appropriate members of the Episode VII cast. Gleeson as Ben, Ridley as Jaina, etc. Oh kark, does that mean Gwendoline Christie would be Abeloth? [face_sick]

I think I may just reread NJO instead, spare myself the pain.

12. Force Smuggler

Force Smuggler Force Ghost star 7

Sep 2, 2012
    How about read the Reaves-verse books?

Revanfan1 likes this.
  13. Revanfan1

Jun 3, 2013
    I actually did that back in January-March. I read every single Reaves-verse book. It was really cool, though I felt a little bit of disconnect between Shadow Hunter-The Last Jedi and Shadow Games-Death Star (probably because the latter don't have I-Five, and all of the former do). If Ben were to tackle that project, I probably have a lot of interesting insights I could throw in. ;)

Force Smuggler likes this.
  14. DigitalMessiah

Feb 17, 2004
    Patterns of Force, Shadow Games, and The Last Jedi were probably written more by Maya Kaathryn Bohnhoff than Reaves, and Death Star was probably written more by Steve Perry than Reaves, in terms of the prose itself.

Cynical_Ben and Revanfan1 like this.
  15. Force Smuggler

Sep 2, 2012
    It's on the agenda for myself as well.

Revanfan1 likes this.
  16. Revanfan1

Jun 3, 2013
    True enough. I could see a difference in Patterns compared to Jedi Twilight, although interestingly Last Jedi seemed closer to JT than POF, at least to me, even though you're probably right in that Bohnhoff did write most of TLJ–it's just not as noticeably different from Reaves' other books as POF is. SG, too, is pretty different from Reaves' normal style, and as for DS, it was close enough to the MedStar novels, also co-written by Perry, so you're probably right.

17. DigitalMessiah

Feb 17, 2004
    how about cynically reliving DARK FORCES

AGAIN

Revanfan1 likes this.
  18. Cynical_Ben

Cynical_Ben Force Ghost star 4

Aug 12, 2013
    Right now I'm not planning to do any more threads, though I'd certainly chime in if someone else wants to start one. If I get bored (and masochistic) at some point I might do something with FotJ; since I haven't read those and the story is inconsequential now and by pretty much all accounts stupid and bad, I never planned on reading them. If I did, it'd pretty much be for comedy value only, I'd not put any work whatsoever into critiquing them.

Revanfan1 likes this.
  19. DigitalMessiah

Feb 17, 2004
    libera te ex inferis

20. anakinfansince1983

anakinfansince1983 Skywalker Saga/LFL/YJCC Manager star 10 Staff Member Manager

Mar 4, 2011
    I think he should cynically read every NU book.

Revanfan1 likes this.
  21. Cynical_Ben

Cynical_Ben Force Ghost star 4

Aug 12, 2013
    ok
    Well, I'm not sure how cynical I'd be, since two of the four so-far announced are by authors I like, one I'm unfamiliar with and one is a newcomer. Besides, I'm more and more convinced that the "NU" is going to be pretty much the same as the EU, just without the stripe on the cover.

22. Katana_Sundancer

Katana_Sundancer Jedi Master star 4

Aug 13, 2009
    I'm intending to do a reread of the FotJ books... if only because I want to AU the stuffing out of them...

Revanfan1 likes this.
  23. Ackbar's Fishsticks

Ackbar's Fishsticks Jedi Grand Master star 4

Aug 25, 2013
    I have to say, as pissed off as I still am that the whole EU was shut down, if there's one book it had to go out on, I'm glad it was an X-wing book. I love that as much as the galaxy has been turned upside down, as nutty and messed up as the post-NJO era was... Wraith Squadron is still there to charge in, fight the good fight and do what they do best.

Finding out that Mercy Kill was coming out after years of LOTF and FOTJ fiascos reminded me of that first Goldeneye trailer. "It's a new world... with new enemies... and new threats... but you can still depend... on one man." Bond steps out of the shadows: "You were expecting someone else?"

TKT, Sarge and Revanfan1 like this.
  24. anakinfansince1983

anakinfansince1983 Skywalker Saga/LFL/YJCC Manager star 10 Staff Member Manager

Mar 4, 2011
    I am just now finding out that there is a tenth X-Wing book. [face_blush]

I would ask if I'll know what the hell is going on if I don't read the rest of the post-NJO, but I like Allston so much that I'll probably read it whether I know what the hell is going on or not.

25. Force Smuggler

Sep 2, 2012
    Finished Wedge's Gamble. On to Krytos Trap. WG is better than RS. Love all of the Coruscant stuff. Iceheart is one of the best villains ever.