Lit Cynically Reliving the X-Wing Series

Discussion in 'Literature' started by Cynical_Ben, Jan 2, 2014.

1. Riven_JTAC Jedi Grand Master

star 3
    If only.

NSFW:

Last edited by Riven_JTAC, Aug 19, 2014
    Abadacus and Pfluegermeister like this.
  2. IG_2000 Force Ghost

star 4
    I'm alreadyliking Warlord Zsinj more than Isard.

I know she was written to be an incompetent bitch but still, WOW, she was really grating
    anakinfansince1983 likes this.
  3. IG_2000 Force Ghost

star 4
    Okay, so Wraith Squadron was EASILY the best book in the series thus far, much better characterizations and dialogue than the Stackpole novels plus really clear space battles that aren't confusing, and humor. Devoted enough time to each of the characters that I actually felt legitimately sad when certain things happen to certain characters.

Show Spoiler

Though I have a feeling we haven't seen the last of fallyn sandskimmer, but i could be wrong

Revanfan1 and anakinfansince1983 like this.
  4. anakinfansince1983 Chosen One

star 7
    Iron Fist:

Wow, was this one a bit brutal on our characters.

I liked the whole Hawk-bat pirate disguise. Good strategy there.

Lara's brother...I wasn't surprised, I figured from the outset of the transmission that he would sell her out, but still...I wanted to be wrong.

The Face and Phanan scenes got me. I think I had this idea, with the whole "Star Wars characters don't die" and "Star Wars characters come out of impossible situations all the time," that Phanan might pull through.

And Castin...geez, that dude didn't have an ego at all. Still, not sure he deserved what he got.

Nice ending battle and it looks good for our heroes but I don't think Zsinj is done yet.

Allston's humor was great in this one. I laughed out loud several times.

"When no other options present themselves, shoot everything in sight."

"You'll address me as Colonel Repness and show respect."
    "I'll address you as Colonel Bantha Sweat and show you whatever I want." Yeah, I like Lara.

And oh hell, the Ewok impersonation, and that whole scene with Wedge getting into the suit. face_laugh]

I don't know if I'm going to go straight into Solo Command or take a break and read A New Dawn, or...*gasp*...something not Star Wars.

But I definitely enjoyed this one.
    Last edited by anakinfansince1983, Sep 4, 2014
    TKT, Kylun, Jedi Ben and 4 others like this.
  5. Force Smuggler Chosen One

star 6
  6. GrandAdmiralJello Moderator Communitatis Litterarumque

Manager
    star 10
    Read both at the same time, you slacker. Preferably while standing on your head and composing a symphony and dictating your memoirs.
  7. 3minutehero Jedi Padawan

Rogue Squadron was the first EU book I ever read, circa 1998 at the tender age of 13. I think I was a bit too young at the time to really enjoy it but it certainly whet my appetite for the Star Wars universe. At the time I'd only seen the Special Editions, and I remember feeling surprised that the book wasn't focusing on core characters from the films. Having read the books again fairly recently (apart from Mercy Kill which is queued up on my tablet for my honeymoon later this month!), I really enjoyed how the books developed the concept of the New Republic, especially the taking of Coruscant. Thoroughly enjoyable reading!
  8. IG_2000 Force Ghost

star 4

Me and you got that synchronized read through going.

[IMG]

Well, I am ten days lagged behind unless you haven't even started solo command yet, but I squeezed A New Dawn in the middle of my Iron Fist readthrough.

Guess I'll try to speed read the rest of the corellian trilogy while i'm waiting for the library to deliver new x wing books
    Last edited by IG_2000, Sep 14, 2014
    anakinfansince1983 likes this.
  9. anakinfansince1983 Chosen One

star 7
    You're not behind; I took a break from Star Wars books for a week or so and am reading A New Dawn right now. Solo Command is waiting on my Kindle.

My goal is to finish the series before Tarkin comes out as I've got it preordered for auto-download.
    IG_2000 likes this.
  10. IG_2000 Force Ghost

star 4
    Halfway through Solo Command.

Show Spoiler

The sleeper agent scenes are creepy as hell. RIP Tal'dira

I have to say one thing about the Allston novels; I love space combat as much as the next guy, but what really makes them great are the smaller character moments. I'll take Wedge and Han hosting a party in the Mon Remoda cafeteria and everyone getting drunk over Michael Stackpole having infodumps any day
  11. Force Smuggler Chosen One

star 6
    That party on the Mon Remoda was awesome!
    Katana_Sundancer and Abadacus like this.
  12. Darth_Garak Force Ghost

star 4
    Wedge's revenge on Wes. That was also hilarious.
  13. IG_2000 Force Ghost

star 4
    EVERYTHING about the Solo Command was awesome. Well, at least except for the "ending", which I kind of wasn't expecting since I didn't read The Courtship of Princess Leia. Which I guess I'm going to have to now. Meh.
    Revanfan1 likes this.
  14. Jedi Ben Chosen One

star 6
    Nope, that's what online summaries are for!
  15. anakinfansince1983 Chosen One

star 7
    Ugh, not reassuring. I did not like CoPL.
    sharkymcshark likes this.
  16. Jedi Ben Chosen One

star 6
    Don't worry, Solo Command is great all the way to the end.
  17. Zeta1127 Force Ghost

star 4
    Don't worry, if anything Solo Command makes The Courtship of Princess Leia all the more ridiculous.
    TKT and Sarge like this.
  18. IG_2000 Force Ghost

star 4

Well if you read it you already know how the Zsinj saga ends, so you're not in the same boat as me.
  19. anakinfansince1983 Chosen One

star 7
    Solo Command is off to a good start. Eyan's attack came out of nowhere.

Hoping to finish this one and the next two before Tarkin comes out.
  20. IG_2000 Force Ghost

star 4
    Don't know if I just got really used to Aaron Allston's humor or Isard's Revenge is pretty boring so far.
  21. GrandAdmiralJello Moderator Communitatis Litterarumque

Manager
    star 10
    Both? I actually quite like Stackpole's books, but IR wasn't quite as good a tale.

Missa ab iPhona mea est.
  22. Cynical_Ben Force Ghost

star 4
    Yeah, coming off the energy and drama of Solo Command, Isard's Revenge is kinda eh. I'd much prefer reading the Stackpole books all in a row, then the Allston ones, especially if you throw I , Jedi in there.
    Revanfan1 likes this.
  23. Zeta1127 Force Ghost

star 4
    Isard's Revenge is generally considered the weakest X-wing book, though it is oddly enough probably my most favorite.
    Iron_lord likes this.
  24. Darth_Garak Force Ghost

star 4
    Isard's Revenge was the first X-wing book I read.
  25. anakinfansince1983 Chosen One

star 7
    I finished Solo Command last night. After taking a break from this series to read the hilarious A New Dawn, having Allston's humor was nice and I did LOL at several points.

It had enough dark aspects too, with the Holocaust-esque lab where Zsinj is messing around with different sentients' brains.

Lara's story was probably the most interesting, with her testing and in the end, proving her loyalty to the Wraiths. Donos coming out of his funk was good to see as well. And there's that hilarious scene with Wedge taking off his boot and putting it on the desk.

Although one nice aspect of the X-Wing series is the focus on minor characters, this book had a lot of Han and Chewie and I appreciated that. And Corran is likeable when the entire book is not focused on his naval-gazing. It was cool to see what a Jedi could do with the Rogues.

I read Courtship of Princess Leia in the late 90s and have no desire to read it again, although I don't remember what happens with Zsinj; I am assuming that his playing Wedge and Co. for fools regarding the Iron Fist is resolved there.

I don't know how much I look forward to Isard's Revenge; just wanting to finish it before Tarkin comes out.