D20 Bits and Pieces I Don't Get.

Discussion in 'Games: RPG & Miniatures' started by Tremaniac, Apr 17, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Kizakh Jedi Youngling

star 3
    Yes! Rock on, dp4m!
  2. Tremaniac Jedi Youngling

star 3
    Ok, here's the deal. The "laws of the Universe" arguement has been grating on me. The problem is that laws aren't constant. Lets face it, what was proven fact a few hundred years ago no longer holds water. In the case of StarWars, where the Galaxy has been travelled for 25,000+ years, some of the rules of existance as people know them are bound to be disproven. Destroying energy in itself isn't a vile act. Yeah yeah, you can argue that energy is life, but in the end, it's not. It's energy. Is it connected to life? Yeah, sure, why not. I'm not a scientist, and neither are my players. But they are smart enough to ask the basic question. "If I use Drain Energy to take out an enemies ammo, forcing him to surrender, why should I get a dark side point if I did it without harming him?" Or something along those lines. Ok, end of rant.
  3. The_Ghost Jedi Youngling

the big GL said destruction is evil.

Let's keep it civil in here, eh?
  4. Kizakh Jedi Youngling

star 3
    As previously stated, if you've got a problem with giving out a DSP for Drain Energy if it "doesn't really harm anybody," then don't. The game designers had a reason for calling it a Dark Side skill, which you should take into account, but if you feel a need to change it, go right ahead.

GMs can do that.
  5. Tremaniac Jedi Youngling

star 3
    Ok, found another thing that has me wondering. The Jedi defense and attack stuff. When you go into a prestige class (Jedi Master, Jedi Weapon Master, etc etc.) you get them again at the same level appairently. Does that mean they remain at that level, or does it reduce the penalty to attack (and also increase the bonus to defense) by one instead? I hope this makes sense.
  6. dp4m Chosen One

star 10
    All Jedi base classes and prestige classes are cumulative (and say so in the description)...

So if you have Deflect (Defense +2) from Guardian and then get Deflect (Defense) from Jedi Master, your total Deflect (Defense +3)...

Same with Deflect (Attack)
  7. Tremaniac Jedi Youngling

star 3
    Ok, cool to know for future reference. Also, while I'm here, I need to ask an opinion. In Dark Side Devotee, they get Dark Side Skill Emphasis. If a darksider consistantly used Force Strike against fleshies, should that count for the skill emphasis? Just something I was pondering while I created some baddie NPCs.
  8. Fingorfin Jedi Master

star 4
    Yeah, that should work.
  9. dp4m Chosen One

star 10
    Any skill that CAN be used in a Dark Side manner (e.g. Force Strike against living targets) should be able to receive the Skill Emphasis bonus as well IMO.
  10. The_Ghost Jedi Youngling

i would agree, but only allow the bonus to go through when using it in a Darkside manner.
  11. Fingorfin Jedi Master

star 4
    If he's not using it in a darkside manner, then it's not considered a darkside skill.
  12. DexRicon Jedi Youngling

star 1
    I don't remember if this has been posted or not, but one argument my group has from time to time is would you gain a dsp from hitting someont with a rock you threw at them with the force? The book says if you use the force to injure someone you gain a dsp, well using move object on a rock is definetly using the force.

Well, according to the RCRB, a rock up to 11lbs deals no damage. In a Rebellion era game, I'd give no dsp for hitting some poor guy with a small rock since all it does is prevent him from attacking for a few seconds. Of course, if the rock were, say, 75lbs, then it would be dsp time (as well as a visit from an Imperial Inquisitor).
  13. DarthArraKul Jedi Youngling

star 2
    hey TREMANIAC

energy drain is an inherantly dark power..
    by using the dark side of the force to STEAL the energy from something you get a darkside point.. that simple

There is no why.. clear you mind of further questions

14. Fanboy_Solo Jedi Youngling

star 4
    if he's not using it in a darkside manner, then it's not considered a darkside skill.

There's no way a Jedi would drain the energy from a living thing, plant or animal, and not be using it for dark or less-than-noble purposes.
  15. Tremaniac Jedi Youngling

star 3
    You're not sucking the soul out of someone. You're using the force to remove the power from a weapon. Again, depending on it's use, I can't see this being a dark side power. My house rules reflect this logic.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.