main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

(d20) Rules question - Carbonite?

Discussion in 'Archive: Games: RPG & Miniatures' started by Ender Sai, May 14, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Ender Sai

Ender Sai Chosen One star 10

Feb 18, 2001
    Has anyone got any idea how to use carbonite in D20? For example, what is the DC versus Fort saves to calculate whether someone survives in "perfect hibernation," or whether they are critical, take vitality points, die etc etc?

E_S

2. Go-Get Beer

Go-Get Beer Jedi Padawan star 4

Apr 11, 2000
    If I had to do this I'd say that it depends on the equipment and staff quality. While the Cloud City's carbon freezer was not suited for freezing living beings, the Ughnaughts are great technicians.
    In perfect conditions (specialized equipment and medical crew standing by) I would ommit the Fortitude check alltogether, except for a situation with a fumble roll by the technicians. As the conditions get worse, the Fortitude check would get higher, with a bonus for the crew skill (standart +2 for every five levels of the crew), arriving at about DC 20 for the Cloud City freezer (bad condition, unsuitable equipment). If a character mises by 5 or less he is alive, frozen, but in bad shape and will need medical assistance when de-frosted.
    You could also choose the difficulty from the DC tables for traps in the GM section of the handbook. It is a way to get the difficulty for your party at the level you want it to be.
    However I'd ommit the rolls alltogether, if I only could. It is not my idea of a fun game to kill the characters over a technicality, like bad equipment (if they couldn't avoid it in the first place). I'd roll the dice behind a screen and choose (or select randomly) one or two to feel really bad after they awake.

3. Maj_Odo-Taji

Maj_Odo-Taji Jedi Youngling star 1

Oct 12, 2001
    Good call, Beer. Not very dramatic and epic-like to have your character killed because you were two degrees too cold when applying the carbonite. ;)

Maj-Odo Taji

4. Fingorfin

Fingorfin Jedi Master star 4

Nov 7, 2001
    That seems like a reasonable way to handle it. Nicely done.

5. Ender Sai

Feb 18, 2001
    I was thinking more along the lines of penalties due to being frozen. Penalties like, I guess, being resurrected in D&D. Maybe the freeze costs you up to a level in XP. Maybe you lose an ability score as a result - a point of WIS or CON. I mean, besides being a plot device, doesn't something happen when a player is frozen? I'd say that you set the DC at a moderate level - say 15 - and if you fail you lose a level, or half a level, or a point of wisdom or something. Unless you roll a crit failure, then maybe you can die or something.

Ender

6. Fingorfin

Nov 7, 2001
    That seems a bit severe.
    Han was a little shaky and had vision problems after he was rescued, but there were no permanent problems. The duration of such effects could be dependant on the amount of time spent frozen, but I would hesitate to make any side effects permanent.

7. Ender Sai

Feb 18, 2001
    Perhaps, but Han is also a 9th Level character AND one central to the films. Heck, if ALL it meant was a few months not to visibly age, then every rich person and quasi-celebrity would be jumping into carbonite chambers!!! :D You gotta occasionally come down on players. Look at how the revised stats have come out. Scoundrels get D6 vitality per level - wasn't it like D8 or D10 per level before? The players have fewer hit points - all of which indicates a trend towards making people vulnerable. If you get frozen in carbonite by Jinz the Sadistic Bounty Hunter, tell me you ain't gonna be messed up by it somehow.

Ender

8. Fingorfin

Nov 7, 2001
    You will be messed up, temporarily, IF you survive. Death is very likely to come for her second visit if you get frozen; that is why no one is lining up for the carbonite chamber.

9. Go-Get Beer

Go-Get Beer Jedi Padawan star 4

Apr 11, 2000
    For all we know hibernation might be a way to travel to the future in the SW universe. People might be just more conscious about the real results. Just think about it: when you're frozen you don't run your business. Sure, you can have people to run it, but for how long can you trust them? A crimelord that would get frozen is as good as dead. It is pretty sure that one of his goons is going to take over his gang. A politician? Sorry, no interest there. A politician is well versed in the environment he's working in. 20 years of inactivity and he has to learn the basics again. An actor (or any other artist) wouldn't want to be frozen either. People's attitudes change. If somebody would defrost Marylin Monroe today she'd be just another fat stupid blonde.
    Those are the vices of carbon freeze to those that would have money to subject themselves to it. Besides think of the costs. It took quite a large band of Ughnaughts to operate a relatively simple freezer and preparation took hours. The size of the machine itself is unimaginable, it's energy requirements must be enormous... And that's something totally unsuitable for freezing living beings, not to mention sentients. Besides I'd imagine that reptiles (like the Falleen and Barabels), insects (like the Verpine) and invertebrates (like the Hutts) have physiology that reacts more adversely to freezing. I can't even start to think how the Xan (WEG Planets Collection) would react to putting them in hibernation.

There's no business in carbon freezing people.

Oops, a bit on the long side there...

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.