So CO Da Misteress' Ugh Thread

Discussion in 'SouthWest Region Discussion' started by Mistress, Jun 6, 2005.

Moderators: DieWompRatDie, Grimby
  1. mirax80 Retired Midwest RSA

star 4
    It's just been a long day.

Ugh.
  2. JediKnightAlestor Jedi Master

star 2
    ugh I have been playing for a while and I have talked to you a couple times.. -Gob- or Alestor' and If you know boa-din thats dustin aka Izeith Katarn.
  3. Zoom_Cthooga Jedi Grand Master

star 6
    Hmm...no?

Only thing I can think is that if I'm on and not answering, it might not be me. A couple Ninjas have access to my accounts, and we'll trade off on grinding certain things, since most Jedi AOE groups happen during the day, and not everyone works well as a pilot.

So it's sometimes interesting when you log on and your toon wakes up on a completely different planet with some strange loot, and you can't remember how you got there or what you were doing. LOL.
  4. Kaety Jedi Master

star 4
    Too much to do!!!
    Too much to do!!!
    Too much to do!!!

and no time.
    [face_pumpkin]
  5. JediKnightAlestor Jedi Master

star 2
    so how are you doing in space??? I am 3/3/2/2 rebel
  6. Zoom_Cthooga Jedi Grand Master

star 6
    *sigh*...Way too much to do.

Last Tuesday our main development server was brought down by a barrage of Windoze Updates. I haven't been able to work on my doomed project since, so I've been working on smaller requests.

But my doomed project is due up THIS Friday. Supposedly they've given me an extension on everything, but nobody knows what's going on. Urgh.

As for SPACE...

With Zoom, I've mastered Rebel Pilot, dropped it (and Reb. Colonel) to go Imperial for a short time so I could do the quest to get the Jedi Starfighter, made it up to 3333 Imp Pilot, dropped it, and now I'm Master Freelance Pilot, and can hop freely between factions so I can get all the badges.

My alt on Eclipse is 3222 Imperial Pilot...going for Master.

And the buddy I'm working on Freelance Pilot for is currently 4333 Freelance, and one of these nights I'm gonna make him an Imperial so I can do the Jedi Starfighter quest with him, too, after I've done the quest for the Vaksai fighter. Also have somebody building him a Firespray for XMas. And it'll probably take that long. LOL.
  7. JediKnightAlestor Jedi Master

star 2
  8. Zoom_Cthooga Jedi Grand Master

star 6
    HEYYYYYYY...

About 10 posts back I mentioned how our Internet kept going down.

After 2 cable guys, it was determined that our splitter was building up a charge because it wasn't grounded properly, so it was creating too much noise on the line for the modem to handle.

And me going out there and jiggling the cables -- that was fixing the problem because I was GROUNDED THE CHARGE.

Thankfully, it wasn't a voltage that could be felt, but they've since grounded the line properly. Maybe this is why Rachel and I could tell that a connection had dropped before we actually checked it? LOL.
  9. Darth_Nast_T Jedi Master

star 2
    It's not the voltage that gets ya'... its the current.

You know how you can rub your feet on the carpet and then shock someone... >10,000V:eek:
  10. Imperial_Birrer Jedi Master

star 4
    DNT-wow. here is a question for you. When we defribrilate a patient we use milivolts. Are we using a fraction of a volt of a lot of volts?

I know milli is latin for a thousand, but I doubt we are hitiing folks with 200- 360 thousand volts.
  11. RubberDuckTape Southern CO Chapter Rep

Chapter Rep
    star 5
    mili is 1x 10^-3 = 0.001 Mega is 1 x 10^6 = 1000000.

As The T said, it's the current, not the voltage. ;)

I was once shocked with 15kV powersupply that I made from a 9V battery, but other than the pain of my finger tips, it did me no harm. (The brain damage was something else) The current was very small. Much less than half an amp.

/nod knowingly

/scamper off before anyone questions the knowledge
  12. Zoom_Cthooga Jedi Grand Master

star 6
    Yeah, the taser range is between 50k to 150k volts. Pat and I used to play tag with tasers back in high school.

We'd also having staring contests, but with the addition of mace just to make things interesting.

You'd be surprised the kinds of resistances a person can build up from repeated usage.
  13. Darth_Nast_T Jedi Master

star 2
    IB - Think of it in terms of water...

Voltage (aka electro-motive force) is similar, in concept, to the water pressure.
    Current is similar, in concept, to the volume of water being pushed by the pressure.

So, high voltage with very low current (like a static discharge) is kinda' like a water gun... enough pressure to spray water, but there's not enough water for you to drown...

A swimming pool on the other hand has no pressure (the water stays in the pool), but there is enough volume of water to drown in if your not careful... Some batteries are kinda like this... the voltage is low, but the discharge current is high enough to cook you to medium well!

Combine high voltage with moderate current (i.e. HV power lines)... That's like trying to drink water from a fire hose (saw a kid try that on Letterman in '93 I laughed for hours)

That help? :-B
  14. Imperial_Birrer Jedi Master

star 4
    yeaw, I just wasnt sure on it all. electronics confuse me, ask RDT. We managed to blow up a few LEDs.

EDIT: BTW, there is a technique for drinking out of a fire hose. I have done it before.
  15. Darth_Nast_T Jedi Master

star 2
    Ok, so Kaety brought home one of those fancy self cleaning litter boxes for the cats...

This thing is an open box, you put cat litter in the bottom, and after the cat uses it, a motorized "rake" drags across the litter and scoops the mess into a container on the end of the litter box.

The cats seem to like the thing (to my surprise... I halfway expected one of the cats to get tangled in the rake)

The dog (a blue-heeler), notices what the cats are doing and decides to try it out...

Ugh...
  16. Imperial_Birrer Jedi Master

star 4
    So your dog decided to use the automated kitty box? They must have been funny to see.
  17. Darth_Nast_T Jedi Master

star 2
    The result was to big to fit into the disposal box. It just kinda jammed the whole thing up.
  18. Zoom_Cthooga Jedi Grand Master

star 6
    HA. HA. HA.

Stupid dog.
  19. RubberDuckTape Southern CO Chapter Rep

Chapter Rep
    star 5
    Eeew.

And yes, we did manage to blow up a few led's, and when I mentioned it to my cirucuit analysis professor, he got excited and asked if we still had them. Apparently he's never been able to blow one up and was most impressed that we had.

[face_laugh]
  20. Darth_Nast_T Jedi Master

star 2
    How did you do that???

Bias resistors to small? Reverse bias them and run up the voltage until they popped?!?!?

Did they melt/smoke/crack?

I wanna see!

Wow, you are talented...=D=

(In 22 years of messing with electronics, I've never managed to smoke a LED)
  21. Imperial_Birrer Jedi Master

star 4
    See,when I said I suck at electronics I wasnt joking.I am not to sure how we did it, but the poor sap at radio shack was amazed when I went back in to tell him not to ever make the claim "dont worry. LEDS cant explode" again.

Rachel--if your professer want I can make him a few. I have gotten really good at blowing them up.[face_devil] I want to get the gumdrop sized ones, but I am afraid of injury from those suckers.
  22. RubberDuckTape Southern CO Chapter Rep

Chapter Rep
    star 5
    Safety first. I'll bring home a pair of safety goggles and a hard hat, and we should be good.

If you have any laying around, I'll take one, I don't think he really believed me when I told him. :D
  23. Kaety Jedi Master

star 4
    Ugh! I'm another year older today! 33 years of me...all you poor suffering people!

24. Zoom_Cthooga Jedi Grand Master

star 6
  25. Imperial_Birrer Jedi Master

star 4
    HAPPY BIRTHDAY!!!!!

[image=http://coolest-birthday-cakes.shippony.com/images/characters/star-wars/star-war-theme-01.jpg]
Moderators: DieWompRatDie, Grimby