main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Art Archive Daenna's Fan Art is back! - 10/29/2007: RC, Galactic Marine, and Bardan Jusik WIP

Discussion in 'Fan Art' started by Daenna, Mar 11, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Daenna

Daenna Jedi Knight star 1

Mar 11, 2006
    Thanks for the kind words Your_Worshipfulness! Yes, that is indeed a good idea... But I don't like going back on my previous drawings when I've been completing a lot more afterwards. When it's done....it's done :p But I'll sure keep that tip in mind for future designs!

On a more Star Warsy note: here's a study artwork for a fan comic/webstrips that me and a couple of geeky friends will try to make :p

[image=http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v227/ninja_pukie/doodle/jedi_jb_ink.jpg]

I'll let the experts tell who these guys really are hehe...

Edit: here's the colored one

2. Excalibur14

Excalibur14 Jedi Youngling star 1

Mar 2, 2006
    Daenna-

Wow, you hit Jesper's face perfect...I was wondering how it would look after you showed me the WIP. Perfect expression. Awesome!

Excalibur14

3. Daenna

Mar 11, 2006
    Thanks Excalibur! Great to have your comments regularly, too :)

Here's another WIP! I had this funny inspiration today and it's the kind of sketch that is so stimulating that you can't fail it :p

An undisciplined Jedi

Hope you like! :p

4. Excalibur14

Mar 2, 2006
    Daenna-

I have to admit, I laughed when I saw this one Ah Metal Jedi with cigarettes...could there be a perfect world?....and the expression on the padawan is priceless. You impress me everytime with new work!

=D=[face_laugh]=D=

5. Daenna

Mar 11, 2006
    Ah, awesome! Someone likes!

Here's the completed one:

[image=http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v227/ninja_pukie/doodle/undisciplined_1024.jpg]

:D

6. FalconFan

FalconFan Jedi Master star 4

Jul 25, 2004
    [face_laugh][face_laugh]

ROTFL!!!

Perfect--just perfect!! This had me doubled over, Daenna!! Just the expressions on the faces, and the appearance of the Jedi (sort of "scruffy," with the two-days-growth and the tattoos under rolled-up sleeves [...wonders if that's where he keeps those "death sticks"...] ) and the obvious roof-top (..."smoking area...?") setting they're in--perfect!! What a great sort of "real-world" take on Jedi Temple life!! =D= I so love people that get these sort of right-angle views on the SW universe--it takes such imagination! And the skill with which you've depicted the scene is just delicious! =D= I love this!!

FF

7. Chilla

Chilla Jedi Master star 4

Jul 30, 2005
    LOL! [face_laugh] I agree with Excalibur, the expression on the padawan's face is prizeless! [face_laugh] And love how the Jedi looks at him out of the corner of his eyes.

=D= Great job and beautiful colored!

8. Daenna

Mar 11, 2006
    Thank you so much for commenting! Your opinions mean a lot!

FalconFan: Yeah, that is probably a death stick [face_laugh]. But at the Jedi Temple I doubt there would ever be anything like a "Smoking area", too. The Jedi have so many restrictions that making a marginal and funny character among their ranks is so easy! :p Thanks again for your post, you have no idea how I love reading them, again and again :p

Chilla: Thank you :) Like I said, when I'm really inspired, drawing expressions on their faces comes easily to me! It's like I just need to lay the pencil on the paper... But on other days, I could tear it apart from erasing too much :_| :p

At the moment working on characters, expressions and emotions is my central preoccupation! I'm doing this kind of "comic webstrip" featuring the same Jedi and younglings :)

Only problem is that it's taking more time than I imagined... It contains about 10 frames/pictures, and even if there are small ones, they're still hard to do [face_plain] Trying to depict a very precise state of mind and expression is tough, but so exciting! It's just too bad that sometimes I feel kind of bored of my own ideas, so it's hard to kick myself up to get working sometimes.

I'd love to post some WIP but I fear that would totally spoil the plot :p

9. Chilla

Chilla Jedi Master star 4

Jul 30, 2005
    I would love to see them! :)

And I know what your talking about. Sometimes it's like a picture is drawing itself, but sometimes everything goes wrong, I throw the pic away and don't even try to draw it again.

It seems to be much work, so good luck and lot of patients! :)

10. Darth_Snuggle

Darth_Snuggle Jedi Master star 2

Jun 5, 2005
    [face_laugh] I love it! :D And the Coruscant sunset is terrific -- the Jedi Temple must be a great place for people who love a beautiful sunset :)

I too, would like to see these webstrips of yours should you wish to reveal them!

11. Basement24

Basement24 Jedi Youngling star 2

Jan 1, 2005
    Deathsticks kill! Haha, nice stuff, and a great idea. The Coruscant setting works well too with the lighting. Nice!

12. Nefarious_21

Nefarious_21 Jedi Youngling

Apr 8, 2006
    Great job on your latest piece Daenna! I like how its a really different aspect of the Jedi we probably won't see in the movies- ever...:p lol. Good color and shading- and the expressions really come across nicely.

-NeF

13. That_Wascally_Droid

That_Wascally_Droid Jedi Knight star 6

Jul 29, 2001
    That guy almost makes Anakin look like a successful Jedi :p

14. soitscometothis

soitscometothis Chosen One star 6

Jul 11, 2003
    I've just been looking through your thread, and I'm really impressed. Your figure work is fantastic, especially the pose of the scout-trooper, and your inking is stunning - are you using a brush? I always find it very difficult to control the line with a brush, but you are making it look easy. I hope you continue to post more work in the forum.

15. Daenna

Mar 11, 2006
    Thanks everybody for your compliments! At the moment I am working on a comic fiction and it takes so much time.... I promise I will post it here ASAP!

Thank you :)

To do the linework I use Staedtler and Faber Castell black pigment liners, they're pens. I choose very very thin ones so I couldn't miss any fine details. Around the curves I just draw thicker lines to accentuate shapes and depth.... So it's actually more complicated to do than it looks :p Takes a lot of time and concentration too.

For grey tones I use Faber Castel PITT brush pens, like for the tree textures on the Scout Trooper background. They're quite easy to use for random strokes, and also give this natural feel... I like to use them for shadows and such, but not too often. Most of the hardest work I try to fix with the computer (I just love the "undo" function :p)

16. Daenna

Mar 11, 2006
    Here's the first out of 11 pictures/frames... It's colored and not even done yet. I just want to know what you guys think :)

Fan Comic: 1st pic

I'm not totally satisfied by it, visually speaking there are things I could've made better. I didn't really put thought into the composition before I started drawing...

17. FalconFan

Jul 25, 2004
    I love this scene! Just the entire feel of it--and the look on our "undisciplined" Jedi's face really tells the story: he feels so completely out of place being shown by Yoda as an example of a true Jedi! His friend, on the other hand, looks totally at ease with his status in the younglings' eyes! LOL! Great mood, lovely details (the little fellow with the Wookiee doll and the little starship model and figures is a delight!) and this is also a wonderful likeness of our "little green Jedi Master" as well! Great piece--and it isn't done? What else are you planning on doing to this...? Cuz it looks really great to me now! :p Can't wait for more!

FF

18. Daenna

Mar 11, 2006
    Hello everyone, just dropping by to share this very silly artwork... I was out of ideas and my brother randomly said "Just draw a Kilrathi!" Being both Wing Commander nostalgists (mind you, the movie adaptation sucked so much I totally forgot about it), I just hopped on the opportunity and completed this layout in just 2 days :p

Wing Commander: The Almighty Kilrathi (and his ride)

:D

19. Basement24

Jan 1, 2005
    Gahhh! Wing Commander! That was the best game! Forget all the fancy versions with Mark Hamill in them, the original was king. Nice stuff, I remember those ships well now that you've sparked my memory. I really like the character / slice of space cut-away you've chosen. It really works well without either ship or character being out of place as a montage. Thanks for that little memory-lane trip! :D

20. Excalibur14

Mar 2, 2006
    Daenna-

Pretty cool stuff yet again..I love the comic fanart page...I'm just picturing members of InFlames coming to the temple for the time and as they walk through the door, whatever music or conversations stop and everyone turns and stares...lol...captured that moment beautifully and playfully...(love the padawan with the wookiee doll)

And I have to agree with Basement...you just sparked countless of memories of when I was like 11 years old. Great game, great character, great artwork!

21. FalconFan

Jul 25, 2004
    Oh, very very nice, Daenna!! I'm not familiar with the game or the movie (thus, with the characters, etc.) but I love the composition of this, with the pilot in the standard "fighter-pilot stance" and his ship there beside/behind him. Great coloring, and the ship rendering is wonderful--great perspective and view, and beautiful colors and shading. I, too, like the "swath of space" you included here--it really ties things together. Very nice!

FF

22. Daenna

Mar 11, 2006
    Thanks for the feedback :D

I'm glad you all liked the starfighter, I'm really not satisfied with the lining there (I used Illustrator... bleh :() and for the space cut-away it makes too much contrast with the white all around it... People had to ask me why there weren't any stars in there and I told them to increase the Brightness function on their screens :p

Anyway, that Kilrathi was my brother's idea, not mine. I'm really out of originality lately.... Which is why I'm currently working with - guess what - another Mandalorian... lol

Mandalorian Warrior #3

This one could actually be an unintended self-portrait, according to a friend of mine [face_batting]

23. FalconFan

Jul 25, 2004
    Oh, wow!! This looks great--and aren't you the most stoic Mando warrior-gal? ;) =D= Love the pose--your figures are always so easy and natural, no stiffness in the joints or awkwardness in the positioning of the limbs (...looks through her own figure sketches with [face_frustrated] ...). Beautiful. And the detailing on the armor is amazing, as usual--awesome "tattering" on the cape. Do you ink these on paper, or do you scan in the sketch then work in the program...? It looks just flawless, with beautiful bold lines and then lots of little fine ones for contouring... Another beautiful piece Daenna--and if you're looking for some inspiration, you could have a go at doing some of the KOTOR characters--in your style, I think they'd look just awesome (and there are some great warriors and costuming there, too). Just tossing out a suggestion... Can't wait for some more!

FF

24. Daenna

Mar 11, 2006
    Thanks, Falcon :)

I checked out the KOTOR characters right when you told me about them, I had actually never gotten into the games so it's all pretty unknown to me... Maybe when I have time I'll try to get interested in playing them!

For now I'm working on some artwork for www.bobafett.com :p Here's a WIP, but I don't know if I should keep working on it.

Boba Fett

Please comment :)

25. Basement24

Jan 1, 2005
    Very nice work! I really like your Mandalorian Warriors. Great to finally see the one that started it all too! (Well, real-world chronologically that is...) I actually like the Boba one as it is, even though it's a WIP. My only suggestion for it would be to show his jetpack peeking out from the sides (those round parts with the funnel on them where the flames come froM) or the rocket up the middle of his back. Right now it looks like he doesn't have it on at all. other than that, excellent stuff! I reallyl ike the line work. :D

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.