main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Art Archive Daenna's Fan Art is back! - 10/29/2007: RC, Galactic Marine, and Bardan Jusik WIP

Discussion in 'Fan Art' started by Daenna, Mar 11, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Daenna

Daenna Jedi Knight star 1

Mar 11, 2006
    You guys are so sweet... Thanks for the encouragements!

I see you liked the dragons, FF! This week or maybe later I'm going to an art exhibit around the dragon theme, in Paris. It's gonna be fun! So I think I may be inspired to draw more of those in the future...

At the moment I'm working on a completely different piece of work: a couple of sandtroopers in Tatooine, having a cute moment :p

Stormies WIP

It's going slow because I'm not too sure about the composition (are those dewbacks not taking too much space in the background?) and I'm not used to draw whole sceneries with more than 2 figures. The Jawa in foreground is holding a tiny holoprojector unit and it's supposed to generate the hologram of a flower that I'll add later (it's gonna look great in CGI :p) and the guy is handing him money. Please post any comments! :)

2. FalconFan

FalconFan Jedi Master star 4

Jul 25, 2004
    Awww!!! This is too sweet Daenna!! I love this little moment you're creating: the troopers, helmets off, just turn into two human beings, with human emotions and smiles! I personally don't see anything at all wrong with this so far--keeping the troopers and the Jawa in heavier line in the foreground will allow you to keep the dewbacks right where they are (which is where they would be, being mounts for the troops...). I just love her gesture, with her hand over her heart--coupled with the look of delighted surprise on her face, it's just perfect! And to have her "beau" dickering with the mercenary little Jawa is also perfect--never pay the asking price, lol! This is just a wonderful little scene, and you seem to have it all handled quite nicely! Oh, and have a great time in Paris--that's quite a trip! :D

FF

3. Komodo1138

Komodo1138 Jedi Youngling

May 17, 2006
    Wow, very nice drawings, how long have u been drawing for?

4. Adi_Gallia_9

Adi_Gallia_9 Jedi Grand Master star 5

Apr 16, 2001
    Hi Daenna!
    Just wanted to say I love your Boga and the Stormies at ease! Such a cool idea! :)

5. FettFan79

FettFan79 Jedi Master star 2

Nov 25, 2005
    Stormies--My eyes go straight to the dewback on the right--the face and eye are done soo well! I too like the Stormies pictured more human.

Dragon---omy I love it! I like how you colored mainly to focus on the face and let the rest fade out. Nice little impish grin there too!

Jusik--I am reading Hard Contact right now---right now, I cannot recall Jusik offhand, but I do like how this character turned out in your final.

6. Daenna

Mar 11, 2006
    Hello dear TFN friends!

First I want to apologize for my rather long absence from the board as I was caught into real life trouble and occupations. I didn't join the army as I hoped (that's gonna have to be for another life) and instead I became a Red Cross volunteer which has turned me into a life-saver hero (without the tight blue and red body glove). Consequently this summer was art-less for me as you all know, with the Lebanon crisis I had to be available at all times for the Red Cross force (lol) to take care of the wounded refugees coming back to France.... So basically it kind of drained inspiration out of me and I haven't produced anything good during that time.

Anyway enough of this grim business, I'm back with ART! Star Wars stuff that is, because I made some Pirates stuff that you can check in my portfolio... I have spent the latest days playing KOTOR at last, and I really love this game. My enthusiasm brought me to sketch a little concept work on a possible Jedi/Mandalorian alliance:

> Click! <

And I need your help here: I'm not happy with the Jedi's haircut, he looks too much like a Final Fantasy character and I don't like that :p

And for the record: I made the Mando's helmet according to this picture. So I'd like to thank this person dearly for bringing my inspiration back, by crafting such a kickass helmet!!!

7. Corran_Fett

Corran_Fett Jedi Padawan star 4

Jan 17, 2005
    Wow, great to have you back, Daenna! :D [face_peace]
    Your PotC stuff looks nice, but your new sketch is even greater! I love the Jedi's robe (his hair looks good, in my opinion ;) ), and his apparently broken nose! He looks very compelling! The Mandalorian is nice... I, personally, thought the custom armor was nice (I knew it before^^), but well... I couldn't see a Mando running around like that, to be honest - but that's just me, you captured it perfectly, after all! =D= The only thing that bugs me a bit, to be honest, is the sword he weilds. It looks too Pirate-ish, too much like a fencing-sword - and that's something I cannot imagine a Mandalorian weilding - a fencing-sword is pretty much useless for effective close combat, apart from one-on-one fencing duels. I'd rather go with a non-protected hilt there and rather a slightly curved blade for it - a typical vibroblade, that would be...^^ Anyway, that's just my two cents, I can't wait to see the final version! [:D]

8. FalconFan

Jul 25, 2004
    DAENNA!!! **tackles Daenna in a Wookiee-hug**

How great to see you posting again!! We've missed you! Sorry DRL has been giving you a hard time--it happens!--but we're so glad you've come back! :D

And I'm totally with Corran on your "Jedi & Mando" piece--fabulous! I love the b/g, too--but the two figures are just fantastic! Great, great work on the Jedi costume--very unique and original (loving the decorative trim on the tabards!), and the Mando armor is great as well! I don't know enough about their weapons to have an opinion on the sword and its approprite-ness to the character--but I just love the "sling" of it over his shoulder like that! Very Mandalorian, IMHO!

I had to go scope out your POTC stuff, too--what a fabulous portrait of Capt. Jack!! You totally captured Depp's cocky expression and likeness and posture--just fabulous!

Again--a warm welcome back, Daenna! We're glad you're still with us!

FF

9. Daenna

Mar 11, 2006
    Corran!
    Thanks for commenting, and yeah... I like doing custom armor and weapons (although this big gun here is the Corellian Destroyer in Galaxies, heavy weapon for commando's that like big damage) and the thing about the cutlass-vibroblade... well I just wanted to be original again :p Sorry if that seems unorthodox for Star Wars blades, but why not in the end? Anyway after reading your post I tried to make it seem less curved, maybe you'll find it more to your tastes :p

FF!
    Thank you!!!!.... It's cool that you like the background.... just wait til you see it finished, cause you've seen NOTHING! :D It's alright if you don't know much about the weapons, because me neither. I just like to equip my people with cool-looking gear and that heavy rifle is actually the only "canon" object in that drawing. I won't tell you how I got inspired to make the clothing tho.... a girl can have her secrets, right? [face_batting]

But just for you guys, I'm posting a screen capture of my WIP in Photoshop!!!

> Click for geeky WIP screen cap <

Yeah I changed that guy's hair..... he doesn't look like a renegade Padawan anymore now ;)

10. SilSolo

SilSolo Jedi Knight star 5

Mar 5, 2004
    Nice clone trooper pic.

11. Corran_Fett

Jan 17, 2005
    Daenna: I think the blade looks better now, indeed. And since the whole Mando is a custom one, the blade's okay, too. As for the Jedi's new hair... the new version looks fine, too, but I actually think the old one was just as good, too. ;)

12. academygrad88

academygrad88 Jedi Master star 5

Apr 6, 2004
    Nice WIP. It looks like it is going to turn out really nice.

AG88

13. Daenna

Mar 11, 2006
    Here it is!

> "Jedi & Mandalorian Alliance" <

I'm pretty sure I'm done fiddling with Photoshop shop now. There was so much that I wanted to add to the background but if I made just one more pebble on the ground it would overload the picture with one too many detail. That's gonna have to wait for my next works!

Feel free to tell whatever you think, especially if you see something that bugs you! Working for so long on this made me litterally fall in love with my characters so you know, can't see anything wrong at all!!! [face_love]

Edit: I need to change my avatar... a pity we can't use custom icons, I neeeeedz me a handsome Jedi as me icon!!!1!1 [face_batting]

14. FalconFan

Jul 25, 2004
    :eek:
    =D==D=

OH WOW!!! =D=

This is fantastic!! What a spectacular finish to a great start! I love the starscape/planet/sky behind them--just the right gradations of light and dark, just the right scattering of stars (how in the world did you make the look sparkly like that...?), and that planet looks wonderful! The coloring on the figures is also terrific--darker colors would most certainly be advantageous to warriors like these (I also love the long hair/ponytail you gave your Jedi--very nice! =P~ ;) )--the only tiny suggestion I could make would be to sweep in just the slightest addition of brighter highlight over the front part of the Mando's helmet--the only reason this seems appropriate to me is that the Jedi's face seems quite bright compared to his partner's "face"--adding a little more highlight to the helmet would keep them in balance. It would also keep the darker colored helmet from blending too much into the background. The folds and draping of the clothing is just luscious--and I'm jealous that you're so good at that, both in the pencil stages and in the coloring/painting!

This is just awesome, Daenna! =D==D= What a wonderful illustration (and you have every right to be "in love" with it!)! Bravo!!

FF

15. TheOnlyJediPrincess

TheOnlyJediPrincess Jedi Youngling star 3

Jul 11, 2006
    Sweet Picture. I love the backgrond, with the moon in back. Ep III and the planet Utapaun.

16. Corran_Fett

Jan 17, 2005
    I must second that! Amazing piece! =D= =D=
    This turned out waaay better than I would've imagined--especially the Mando rocks incredibly, now! It's a totally fluid and flawless, and the background more than fits! The Jedi looks really badass--for a Jedi, that is :p --,especially with the weaponbelt! But I gotta second FF, here... maybe his face is a tad too bright in comparison to the Mando's--but if it was only the Jedi on the pic, this wouldn't be a problem. ;)

There are lots of great Mando icons on the board. ;) (several made by me, others don't tend too much to make Mando icons [face_whistling] :p - search for "Mandalorian", or "Jaster Mereel" or "Montross" or "Viszla") But, since I'm an icon artist, I can always make icons of your work, if you allow me--with a little luck, they're getting voted and you can choose your very personal icon. I made this for Corellian_Rogue, e.g.--she uses her artwork of Ben for her icon. If you don't want me to do it, you can also make the icon yourself, if you want... just post it in the Icon thread over at Comms. ;)

17. Daenna

Mar 11, 2006
    Thanks for all the nice words!!

I will try to do something about the lighting on the Jedi's face. I have problems with skin tones in general so I never pull out the right balance everytime. See, I'm not used to digi-inking as I normally ink my works with pens...

FF!
    The "sparkle" effect on the stars came out accidently :p
    I wanted to make them seem fuzzy and kind of distorted but it looks like watercolor painting instead.

But all this working on the background kind of neglected the two characters, as I expected, I'm feeling a bit tired after 4 days working on the same project and I get new ideas that I want to look into... That's why I impose me a deadline like that. If I wanted to produce top-notch perfect pieces everytime, I would stagnate on the same stuff for ages...!

TheOnlyJediPrincess!
    Utapau? I don't remember how that planet looks like from space to be honest :p But if you like it then, cool!!

Corran_Fett!
    Yes I wanted the Jedi to look badass because in this situation, what kind of "peaceful and diplomatic" Jedi would team up with a Mando? ;)

Now that's an interesting proposition! ...about the custom icon!!! I have a really cool Bardan Jusik one that I'd like to use... I will send you a PM about it! :)

18. academygrad88

academygrad88 Jedi Master star 5

Apr 6, 2004
    Absolutely a beautiful drawing. I really like the moon or planet in the background especially. Wonderfully done!

AG88

19. Daenna

Mar 11, 2006
    Thanks AG88! I really appreciate that you keep checking out my stuff! I would look at your new works but I'm not done reading Bloodlines (I'm slow...) and so I gotta avoid spoilers :)

Now you know that I'm slow in general, since I just only finished playing KOTOR. Man, what a game :) It made me want to draw Darth Revan and today I sketched him up a little (he's male in this case):

> Darth Revan sketches <

In fact I was so obsessed with him the past few days that I mod'd the game to get to play him WITH HIS SITH GARB ON!
    Check out some shocking screencaps from hell *gasp*megagasp*lol*

On a personal note: I think the Dark Side and the Light Side are both stupid. I'm siding for a balanced dark/light attitude.... I have good intentions but people mistake my dark sense of humor for Sithness.

20. Daenna

Mar 11, 2006
  21. FalconFan

Jul 25, 2004
    Yeah!!

=D=

Let's hear it for "sprees!" This looks fantastico, Daenna! Great finish to a wonderful start! The colors are superb--excellent highlighting, and the lightsaber touches on the mask are perfect! =D= Most excellent!

FF

22. Daenna

Mar 11, 2006
    Thanks for checking out, FF :) Sorry I didn't draw this one entirely... I dont like his "armor" too much, it looks like a tube :p

I have to suspend my drawing spree for a moment, as I caught myself working on my Halloween costume, and playing the tin whistle/violin (I want to be a pirate, playing jigs and stuff). It's not quite the same area of the brain that I'm training now but eh, gotta put all this gray mass to good use some time!

23. Corran_Fett

Jan 17, 2005
    =D= Awesome piece, indeed! It's cool to see something different from you. ;)

Very fluid work, and the armor looks brilliant. [face_peace]

One thing I'd like to suggest, as a small improvement: try to play around with Levels/Curves/Contrast, to add to a darker atmosphere. I think it'd look awesome! :D

Oh, and bad news on your Bardan Jusik icon... :( I don't think it's gonna make it, there are too many other great icons around, sorry... but I'll try to resumbit it some time. ;)

24. Daenna

Mar 11, 2006
    Thanks :) Yes I reckon my background is kind of lacking on the "dark" level....

It's alright for the icon: it's not such a pressing matter and some time in the future I might come up with better art for icons that anybody could use, maybe.

25. BIEREN

BIEREN Jedi Knight star 3

Oct 12, 2005
    Great work. The relaxing scout trooper is my favorite.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.