main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Dagobah Drivel

Discussion in 'Classic Trilogy' started by Darth_Howell_III, Nov 18, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Darth_Howell_III

Darth_Howell_III Jedi Padawan star 4

Sep 12, 2002
    Yoda was behaving like a buffoon when Luke encountered him. Obviously this was a little test for Luke, to gauge Luke's level of respect and maturity.

But what if Luke had "passed" the test? Had he given it a Kenobi-Style "Come here, my little friend," and been respectful to the imp? What would Yoda have said and done? How long would the game have gone on?

2. Indigo_Jade

Indigo_Jade Jedi Grand Master star 5

Apr 23, 2002
    Probably as long as it took to ascertain whether or not Luke was sincere or not...

Besides, Yoda KNEW that Luke was going to fail that test... he just wanted it as an excuse not to train him...

3. Absydian

Absydian Jedi Youngling star 3

Sep 21, 2004
    Why wouldnt Yoda want to train him?

I know this comes across quite clear as to him not wanting to in ESB but why?

Has yoda at this point given up all hope?

4. Indigo_Jade

Indigo_Jade Jedi Grand Master star 5

Apr 23, 2002
    Look what happened to Anakin...?

There are many similarities to both characters that would lend credence to Yoda's reluctance to train Luke.

5. Chaotic_Serenity

Chaotic_Serenity Jedi Padawan star 4

Oct 10, 2004
    I have to agree with Indigo. I always had alot of respect for Yoda looking back after ROTJ for his decision to train Luke. How hard must that have been for him to not only be open-minded to see his potential, but to care for the son of the man who had killed so many of his friends. I wonder sometimes, if Yoda was scared at any point, seeing so many of Anakin's flaws in Luke, thinking that he might be raising just another Sith. Yoda took a big risk there.

But...I will say I don't think Luke failed too horribly. His reaction isn't too unnatural, and it's hardly cruel. He did have patience and mind enough to trust some random alien who was otherwise purposely trying to annoy him. He may not have aced the test, but he certainly proved that he wasn't overly arrogant or cruel...just that he was lacking intuition and patience.

6. Malikail

Malikail Jedi Padawan star 4

Jun 17, 2004
    but he certainly proved that he wasn't overly arrogant or cruel...just that he was lacking intuition and patience

this strikes me as very true.

i also thought that test was very much about arrogance and immpatience.

anakin had an abundance of both, and they hurt him badly.

luke was much more humble, though maybe not as patient as yoda wanted.

the other thing i get from those scenes is his concern about luke's commitment to finishing his training.

anakin wanted power not training, and i think yoda was very afraid of a carbon copy of anakin being trained, with good reason.

7. Emos-Edud

Emos-Edud Jedi Padawan star 4

May 29, 2002
    Yoda would have upped the ante by crapping his pants and seeing if he could convince Luke to change his undergarments. That would have tested the resolve of even the most serene Jedi novitiate.

8. Chaotic_Serenity

Chaotic_Serenity Jedi Padawan star 4

Oct 10, 2004
    Did Yoda even wear pants? I couldn't sworn it was just a tunic-type outfit like Obi Wan's...

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.