main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Dagobah: Why did Luke find it familiar?

Discussion in 'Classic Trilogy' started by Anakin's Daddy, Jan 13, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. VadersPappy

VadersPappy Jedi Youngling star 1

Jul 2, 2009
    Agreed, please refer to my first post in this thread.

2. MatthewZ

MatthewZ Jedi Grand Master star 4

Sep 21, 2003

Well, Leia knew.

"Somehow I've always known."

3. Darth_Nub

Darth_Nub Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Apr 26, 2009
    "Always"?

[image=http://www.chefelf.com/forums/uploads/leia_luke_kiss.jpg] [image=http://1.bp.blogspot.com/_DYqoIqXrUOA/S_AW1JUWxLI/AAAAAAAAAwE/j79-EKk6YZI/s1600/Leia_luke_kiss.jpg] [image=http://a.abcnews.go.com/images/Nightline/ht_Luke_Skywalker_princess_Leia_100607_main.jpg]

Yes, yes, yes, I know, the first is just a promo photo, the second was from a deleted scene, and even the third image is really Leia simply trying to make Han jealous.

But...

4. Sabulum

Sabulum Jedi Youngling

Nov 27, 2010
    [face_laugh][face_laugh][face_laugh]

Yeah, that always got me too. Still, I think of it as: she felt a connection to Luke, but she didn't necessarily know he was her brother. She just knew that she loved him in some way. (Who knows? Maybe after kissing him she thought, "Man, that did nothing for me at all!" :p) Then when he tells her they're siblings, she thinks, "Oh! So that's what it was. That makes sense. Somehow I've always known."

But back on topic: I always thought it was just Luke sensing Yoda. Maybe he recognizes him from Polis Massa (the way Leia "remembers" Padmé)... or maybe he just feels a strong Force presence? Either way it works.

I have to say, though, the Force vision theory (i.e. "he's had visions of Dagobah which he thought were dreams") is very compelling. I hadn't thought of that before, but it makes perfect sense!

5. EHT

EHT Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 13, 2007
    Yeah, regarding the "I've always known" line from Leia, I've said this before... which of the following is more likely?

That Leia meant:

"I've always had this strange sense of connection with you, this sense of familiarity, that I could never quite put a finger on. Now it all makes sense."

Or...

"I've always known you were my brother, but I never said anything because I like the idea of making out with siblings."

6. VadersPappy

Jul 2, 2009
    Evidentally she knew even before Lucas did.

7. Adali-Kiri

Adali-Kiri Jedi Padawan star 4

Jul 31, 2000
    [face_laugh] [face_laugh] [face_laugh]

Very good point.

8. EHT

EHT Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 13, 2007
    Thanks. ;)

9. ILuvJarJar

ILuvJarJar Jedi Grand Master star 6

Oct 19, 2008
    I know you don't want to hear it but it was the will of the force. If Luke knew of Leia's existance, it possibly could have put them both in danger.

10. VadersPappy

Jul 2, 2009
    Please explain how the will of the force would prevent a twin from feeling a connection to thr other twin.

11. Aggravated71

Aggravated71 Jedi Youngling

Aug 29, 2009
    I thought I recalled reading years back,that the place where Yoda was in Dagobah,it was very strong with the Dark side of the force,which is what allowed Yoda to remain hidden for so long.It tied in when Luke went into the "Cave" and failed his test.

What Luke found familiar,was a disturbance in the Force,only he did not know what it was at the time...it was just Deja Vu for him.That is my take on it.

12. MrFantastic74

MrFantastic74 Jedi Knight star 4

Oct 4, 2010
    I think it's because Yoda had been watching Luke from a distance since Luke was a child. Luke sensed Yoda's "presence" throughout his lifetime, not knowing that he was actually being watched.

13. DarthIktomi

DarthIktomi Jedi Padawan star 4

May 11, 2009
    There's one of Luke kissing Leia for luck on the Death Star too. Leia's "always known"...Well, maybe Alderaan's like Egypt, and royals marry their siblings all the time.

14. ILuvJarJar

ILuvJarJar Jedi Grand Master star 6

Oct 19, 2008
    Explain to me how the will of the force could prevent Luke from feeling a familiar feeliung when in the presence of Yoda.

15. Cryogenic

Cryogenic Force Ghost star 5

Jul 20, 2005
    My sister recently said that she finds my brother "sexy". I was like, "OK, but where's the love for me???"

And I'm not pulling anyone's gerbil. That's a true story. I, myself, took some flak last year for admitting to some people I was trying it on with my young cousin at a Christmas party.

"So what?", I say. Life is life. I am glad Lucas is less politically-correct and square than a lot of people breathing oxygen.

Just my two cents on this matter (which I normally avoid commenting on).

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.