side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Adali-Kiri

Adali-Kiri Jedi Padawan star 4

Jul 31, 2000
    You make more sense there, Krash. But I too think that the Sidious/Palp thing is just not qualified as a "major plot point". Well, at least not an unknown one. I thought your opinion was that they can't be the same because of that EU map, and that's why I said your logic was flawed. I don't mean that your *opinion* that these planets won't turn out to be one and the same is flawed.

Some more to chew on;
    Ever thought "what's that" about the concrete doorway visible in the cave on Dagobah? Ever thought "what's a concrete structure doing underground there"? TPM tells you why; In the swamp scene you can see the statues and buildings are slowly sinking into the swamp or being "eaten" by the vegetation.

Hey, there's too much here! :)

2. Krash

Krash RSA Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Oct 11, 2000
    Believe it or not, I know of some people who won't admit the connection about Sideous/Palpatine until they see it on the screen.
    I guess some of my earlier stuff was a bit aggressive. Sorry, I get worked up when people start summararily ignoring EU; you were just the one I blew up at...sorry :( So we cool?
    Never thought about those ideas Adali-Kiri, thanks. Funny thing is the more we argued, the longer this thread is one the top of the page and could promote more discussion about the whole "Naboo/Dagobah theory" which has to be good! Sorry if my logic isn't always crystal clear, I'm not much of a debator just someone trying to expound on things.

3. Qui-Gon_Jon

Qui-Gon_Jon Jedi Youngling star 1

Jun 22, 2001
    Yeah! Let's get more than 3 opinions on this topic.

I'd like to add that TPM is now officially replacing Fight Club as COOLEST DVD I'VE EVER SEEN.

4. Krash

Krash RSA Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Oct 11, 2000
    Besides being the first SW DVD, this I think sets the standard for DVDs. Before this I thought "Gladiator" was the best DVD. No longer, TPM is the best DVD on the market. For all the talk about Snow White's special features, it seems jumbled compared to TPM.
    Anyway, glad we settled this. Still think Naboo/Dagobah is a reach... but an interesting reach.

5. Adali-Kiri

Jul 31, 2000
    Krash; Of course we're cool! No grudges, buddy. :)
    And I'll keep reaching till Episode III is done and dusted.

I'll se if I can find the time to put down a list of all the things in TPM and TESB that may point to the 2 planets actually being one and the same.

6. Qui-Gon_Jon

Jun 22, 2001
    I decided to bring this thread back in the hopes that folks reading garygill's new thread will add their thoughts to this one.

I remain steadfast in my beleif that the transformation of Naboo into Dagobah is a likely and extremely important plot figurant for EP.II/III.

If not, hey, we can get an early start brainstorming ways for me to publicly eat my words.

7. Gwas

Gwas Jedi Master star 2

Dec 13, 2000
    Good Job! (can't seem to stop saying that)

Someone further back in the thread suggested that the link was unlikely due to the difference in the names of the planets.

Another post suggested that Dagobah may have been a Gungan word.

Have you noticed....

Dagobah, home of "da Gobah" fish (that chased the sub and swallowed R2).

It's a stretch I know.

8. garygill123

garygill123 Jedi Youngling star 1

Aug 9, 2001
    Okay, I respect peoples opinions and all but I started this thread to discuss why luke felt dagobah felt familiar...not that naboo might me dagoboah..that ideas is ludicrous..there is only thirty years between the two trilogies...20 if you go from aotc on...NO WAY can a planet go from civilized to a mazzive jungle filled with swamps..that ideas is way bogus and frankly makes NO sense.

9. Qui-Gon_Jon

Jun 22, 2001
    as ludricrous as what? blowing up a planet? giant asteroid-dwelling slugs? finding out that the only other female character in the trilogy is your sister?

see where I'm going with this...?

10. Adali-Kiri

Jul 31, 2000
    garygill;

Turning from Naboo to Dagobah in about 30 years is ludicrous...?
    How about turning from Alderaan to asteroid field in 5 seconds? [face_plain]

My point originally was that Luke's familiar with Dagobah because it is in fact Naboo, a planet to which he bears a strong connection - subconsciously. Bottom line here is that it is very difficult to find anything that rules out the possibility of Naboo turning into Dagobah, while it is very easy to find things that tie the 2 together.

Palpatine destroys Dagobah for some reason.
    Chemical warfare perhaps, or something like that.
    Only the swamps remain, and because of Dagobah's strong connection to Palpatine's past and his treacherous rise to power, it is deemed off-limits and removed from charts and records after its destruction.

11. bennehana

bennehana Jedi Youngling

Nov 12, 2001
    It's a very very interesting theory that I just heard about right now. I don't really have an opinion on it, I'm not sure at all. I like the idea of Naboo being Dagobah, but I don't care if it's not true. We'll find out eventually.

12. garygill123

Aug 9, 2001
    First of all, destroying a planet is far easier(theoretically) the RECREATING an entire planets ecosystem, the swamps are only PART of naboo....I just think people are way of base here..there is NO evidence to point that naboo and dagoboah are one and the same.
    And your right, there is no evidence to support that naboo isnt dagoboah, but there is also no evidence to say that I am not the easter bunny and am writing this from the north pole...that is weak logic my friend.

13. niennumb1

niennumb1 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Oct 10, 2001
    Maybe Luke was just making conversation with R2... Cripes! heheheh

14. theTrueMolerocket

theTrueMolerocket Jedi Youngling star 1

Oct 30, 2001
    watching TESB would be SO F-ING CREEPY if that cave was where luke's mom died giving birth to him.

i'm just saying, is all...

15. Adali-Kiri

Jul 31, 2000
    Get your English right, garygill.

I'm not saying anything is evidence of anything. I'm saying there are a lot of things that tie the 2 planets together, and I doubt even you can deny that there are similarities here - and no other 2 planets in the SW galaxy share any sort of similarities.

And I think you'll want to reconsider claiming that it's easier to destroy (blow up) a planet than to recreate its eco-system. If that was the case, why do we risk altering our eco-system in a nuclear war - not blowing the planet up?

And if we're going to get picky - how come you know that Yoda's swamp is 100% representative of Dagobah's eco-system? We don't get to see much of the planet, do we?

But I see we're really annoying you with this senseless speculation...

16. garygill123

Aug 9, 2001
    Okay, first of all, luke says in ESB that the planet is mostly swamps and wetlands, or something to that effect.

And of course their are other planets with similiar ecosystems, swamps arent all the special.

All I am saying is that while I dont mind speculation, its speculation without ANY reasoning.

And bringing nucleaur war into this...man..this is a fantasy movie.

17. Adali-Kiri

Jul 31, 2000
    You're funny. Read your own thread again to find my reasoning. But hey, buddy - I'm not trying to get you to subscribe to any theory here. It just seems that you dig speculation as long as you agree, that's all.

18. Adali-Kiri

Jul 31, 2000
    I couldn't let his rest... [face_plain]

I only brought in nuclear warfare to illustrate that we are in danger of destroying our ecosystems - not in danger of blowing up our planet ala Alderaan. And I wanted to make that point because you said that altering ecosystems was less believable than blowing up planets. So by pointing to the reality of destructive weapons I wanted to argue that you're wrong on that issue. Why you then started arguing that nuclear weapons have no place in a fantasy movie is frankly beyond me...

For the record - Luke says that he's picking up no signs of cities or technology, but massive lifeform readings. And we never get to see more than a few square kilometres of Dagobah, so we really have no idea what it may look like.

I guess I really enjoy annoying you with this, although I do admit that it's veering off topic, so I'll repeat my reasoning for believing that Naboo and Dagobah is the same planet - and thus one of the reasons why Luke senses something familiar about Dagobah. He was born there, his mother lived there, his mother and father might have done a few other things there, and he's also tuning in to Yoda.

And these are the reasons why I think they're one and the same -

- The swamp of Naboo is populated by the same flying creatures that welcome Luke's X-wing into the Dagobah swamp in TESB. Pay close attention when the camera pans from Amidala's entourage via a huge tree to the place where Nass is standing, and you can't miss them. The scene's composition mirrors the TESB one very closely.
    - The sounds we hear in the TPM scene are exactly the same as the Dagobah sounds of TESB and RotJ.
    - The trees that are seen in the TPM scene look exactly like the trees of Dagobah, with parts of their huge roots sticking out above the ground. You'll notice the extreme similarity between the tree Nass stands on/by and the trees surrounding Yoda's home in TESB and RotJ.
    - There are concrete structures sinking into the swamp in TPM, and we all remember that there is a mysterious piece of concrete structure in the underground cave Luke enters on Dagobah in TESB.
    - We witness the massive underwater creatures that populate the seas and core of Naboo in TPM. Well, there happens to be a massive underwater creature in TESB - which drags R2 underwater but finds him somewhat indigestable.
    - We are told by Boss Nass that Naboo has a core of water. This can easily fuel speculation about the planet's stability, and whether this might contribute to the planet sort of "imploding" and becoming quickly more and more one giant swamp. Imo, we see the beginning of this natural disaster (which might be elevated by some sort of destructive weaponry in II or III) in the swamps of Naboo in TPM.

Add to this that no other 2 locations in the SW universe share more than the tiniest bits of characteristics (like there actually being trees on both Yavin and Endor), and I think I have provided reasoning (obviously not "evidence") for my speculation that Naboo becomes Dagobah, and thus seems familiar to Luke in TESB. Flame away!

19. p5mmr9

p5mmr9 Jedi Youngling star 1

May 22, 2001
    That place...is strong with the dark side of the force. A domain of evil, it is...

I think this will be explained...

I agree that the whole "there's something familiar about this place," thing will be explained, as well...

20. p5mmr9

p5mmr9 Jedi Youngling star 1

May 22, 2001
    I would also like to note that I find it highly unlikely that Naboo is Dagobah...

21. LordIsurus

LordIsurus Jedi Master star 3

Jun 24, 1999
    Dagobah being Naboo would be great to see. It's possible that the way the planet evolves would be sped up due to a shift in balance in the ecosystem. Imagine, if you will, that here on Earth, vegetation got Nasty. You know..like if El Seed((from "the Tick" fame)) really could will vines to capture people. And that there was a large family of plants similar to ye old Venus Fly trap, except larger. Well, if there was such an imbalance, us animals may not be as fortunate as we are. And now there is Naboo. And even though there is wildlife, there is an abundance of vegetation. And since this is StarWars, it's possible that the imbalance is great enough to actually see technology devoured, over time. That coupled with the idea that Naboo may have a major battle and be wiped out, could easily lead to a Dagobah-like planet. And Jiminey Cricket, what was that glowing sphere Boss Nass was holding at the end of Episode I? While on that..does anyone else suspect that that ball may hold some sort of energy or can alter the balance of power? Thats mere speculation, but I seem to recall an old discussion thread, years ago, pondering if that ball is the same ball the statue of the Emperor is holding in Episode VI. If so, if that energy were to be somehow removed from Naboo, isn't it possible the lifeforce or some sort of ecological energy shift could take place? It would be cool, if so.

Isurus

22. Adali-Kiri

Jul 31, 2000
    Thanks for the back-up, Isurus! ;)

23. Lady Phoenix

Lady Phoenix Jedi Padawan star 4

Jun 14, 1999
  24. Mojo_Jojo

Mojo_Jojo Jedi Youngling star 1

Feb 13, 2002
    Luke to R2 "There's something familiar about this place, I feel like,"

Yoda "Feel like what?"

Luke whirls, blaster drawn "Like we're being watched!"

You see...Luke felt a familiarity because there was another force user near. It is showing his ability in the force. This is what I have always attributed this line to. It seems obvious to me. This is simply my own opinion, but I think some of you guys are reading to musch into things. I do not believe there will be much to this line in the PT. Although I think it would be neat to see Dagobah in EP3. Perhaps we could see Yoda pursued to Dagobah by Dooku, and that is where Yoda defeats him? I don't know....

But, Dagobah=Naboo? Lay off the crack, people. :^D

Just kidding. :)

25. Joey-WanKenobi

Joey-WanKenobi Jedi Master star 2

Jan 7, 2002
    Someone said earlier that GL has said we will see new planets and the destruction of some we have seen. Well lets use process of elimination. How many planets have we seen?(Chronologically) We have seen 3. Tatooine will not suffer destruction because...well, duh It just wont. Coruscant is out too because the New Republic makes it their capital in the Thrawn trilogy. I realize that is EU but that would be a way bigger contradiction than a stupid map. That leaves Naboo...

I think it will be cool if Naboo turns into Dagobah, but I wont be suprised if it dosent happen though.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.