main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Sth Bend, IN Daily Riddle

Discussion in 'MidWest Regional Discussion' started by Xmaveric, May 14, 2001.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. KnnOs

KnnOs Jedi Master star 2

Feb 8, 2001
    Mommy! The Kowakian Monkey Lizard is getting too close to the car!

Ha HA!! The third page is MINE!!!

2. Xmaveric

Xmaveric Jedi Master star 5

Nov 25, 2000
    Um...better check your view settings. This is the second page.

:D

3. JediJeff13

JediJeff13 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 27, 2000
    Mav likes to think he's special cuz he changed his default settings.

4. Xmaveric

Nov 25, 2000
    Oh come on, Jeff! I'm sure you have changed yours too.

5. JediJeff13

Nov 27, 2000
  6. Xmaveric

Nov 25, 2000
  7. JediJeff13

Nov 27, 2000
    Got proof? Beside the icon ya loogie.

8. Xmaveric

Nov 25, 2000
    Oh, well..that was my proof. I must research further...

9. KnnOs

KnnOs Jedi Master star 2

Feb 8, 2001
    no one thought the Kowakian Monkey Lizard thikng was funny?

10. jedigal

jedigal Jedi Padawan star 4

Sep 21, 2000
    Darn! I guessed right and everything, only I wasn't in time to beat the answer post, so now no one knows that but me. Where's our next daily riddle?

I'm planning on contributing, I just haven't come up with any yet, been a bit busy.

11. BaseDeltaZero

BaseDeltaZero Jedi Master star 4

Mar 5, 2001
    I had this sent to me and I have figured it out I think but need someone to back me up.

There are three words in the English language that end in "gry".
    ONE is angry and the other is hungry. Everyone knows what the third ONE means and what it stands for. Everyone uses them everyday, and if you listened very carefully, I've given you the third word. What is it? ________gry?

12. jedigal

Sep 21, 2000
    Oh, man! I've gotten this poser before, and was unable to answer and had to ask. You'd think I might remember the answer, but NOOoooo. Now this is going to drive me crazy.

BDZ, if you want to PM me I can tell you whether your answer is as familiar as the riddle. :)

13. Xmaveric

Nov 25, 2000
    I have stopped counting how many times I have received this question by email?

"There are three words in English ending in -gry. I only know hungry and angry. Please tell me what the third one is."

It is time to clear up this mystery once and for all.

There is NO mystery! This question has evolved into an urban legend that is impossible to solve.

The fact is there is NO third common word in the English language ending in -gry.

Sources claim that the question had been taken from an old book of puzzles, and had been given publicity on the Bob Grant radio talk show on WMCA in New York City in 1975.

One version is:
    There are two words that end with "gry".
    Angry is one and hungry is another.
    What is the third word.
    Everyone uses it every day and
    Everyone knows what it means.
    If you have been listening,
    I have already told you what the word is.

Notice the third line "sounds" like a question when read.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Another version is:
    Think of words ending in 'gry'.
    Angry and hungry are two of them.
    There are only three words in the English language.
    What is the third word?
    The word is something that everyone uses every day.
    If you have listened carefully,
    I have already told you what it is.

In this case the real question is: "There are only three words in the English language. What is the third word?" That is, there are only three words in the phrase "the English language". The third word is "language", which is indeed something we use every day. The first two words are "the" and "English".

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

And a third version?
    Published in the US magazine Parade in March 1997 and claiming to be the original?
    There are at least three words
    in the English language that end in g or y.
    One of them is "hungry", and another one is "angry".
    There is a third word, a short one,
    which you probably say every day.
    If you are listening carefully to everything I say,
    you just heard me say it three times.
    What is it?

This version of course relies on verbal trickery to confuse the quickly-said "g or y" with "gry". The answer is actually 'say'.

You see, in one form or another the riddle has apparently been known for many years.

Now that we have cleared this up, the question remains - "Are there any words in the English language, other than angry and hungry, that end in -gry?

YES!
    Research from the Oxford English Dictionary, Simon & Schuster's Webster's New World Dictionary, and the G.C. Merriam Company gives us this list:

aggry: A glass bead found buried in the ground in Africa. A word of unknown origin. Seemingly always used attributively, as in aggry beads.

braggry: A variant form of braggery.

conyngry: An obsolete dialectal variant of conyger, itself an obsolete term meaning 'rabbit warren'.

gry: The smallest unit in Locke's proposed decimal system of linear measurement, being the tenth of a line, the hundredth of an inch, and the thousandth of a ('philosophical') foot. Also the grunt of a pig, an insignificant trifle, or a verb meaning to roar.

iggry: Egyptian colloquial Arabic pronunciation of ijri: 'Hurry up!', brought back after the First World War by members of British and Australian forces who had fought in Egypt.

mawgry: from Old French: being regarded with displeasure.

meagry: Having a meager appearance.

nangry: A variant form of angry.

podagry: Dodder, or the condition of a plant infested with it.

puggry: A variant form of puggree, a light scarf wound around a hat or helmet to protect the head from the sun.

14. jedigal

Sep 21, 2000
    Josh, thank you for that thorough reply. I am sure we can all be satisfied with that. Now I remember why I couldn't remember. Because it was a bad joke.

15. BaseDeltaZero

Mar 5, 2001
    Yes, then I am correct.

I went to www.webster.com and looked up *gry and only hungry and angry.

I figured it was a hoax but wasn't sure. Thanks to the Mighty Maveric.

16. Xmaveric

Nov 25, 2000
    A woman has five children and half of them are female. Is this possible?

17. KnnOs

KnnOs Jedi Master star 2

Feb 8, 2001
    Sure, one could be a hermaphrodite. For you plebians who don't know the meaning, a hermaphrodite is any being with both male and female sex organs. For instance, all earthworms are hermaphroditic. While rare, hermaphroditic humans are sometimes born, most of the time only one of their organs show outside their body, and are generally raised as that gender. All human hermaphrodites are sterile. Worms, however, can and do impregnate themselves. Is THAT more than you wanted?

18. Kawphy

Kawphy Jedi Master star 4

Aug 17, 1999
    A woman and 5 children = 6 people. Half of them are female. That means the woman, 2 daughters, and 3 sons.

19. Xmaveric

Nov 25, 2000
    Although you should all be commended for your creative thinking, you are trying too hard.

The answer: [color=FDEED9]Yes, it is possible, as long as the other half are female, too :)[/color]

20. Xmaveric

Nov 25, 2000
    How do you make "one" disappear?

21. jedigal

Sep 21, 2000
    I dunno Mav. How do you make "one" disappear?

22. Bobafemme

Bobafemme FF Jedi Council Member, Chicago IL RSA Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 25, 2000
    multiply it by zero?

mathgeek, I am

23. Xmaveric

Nov 25, 2000
    ANSWER: [color=FDEED9]Add a "g" to make it "gone" or an "n" to make it "none".[/color]

24. BaseDeltaZero

Mar 5, 2001
    Art Bragg claimed that, while on an African safari hunting a vicious lion, he slipped and broke his foot. Not to be put off, he managed to continue on long enough to track the lion and kill it. Then he said that while he was at the North Pole during the dead of winter, he caught a terrible cold, but was still able to track and kill a polar bear. Then, to top it off, while in a small boat off the coast of Florida, he was able to catch and land a shark, in spite of the fact that his arm was badly sprained.

Although Art's tales are hard to believe, on what point do you know he's lying?

25. Xmaveric

Nov 25, 2000
    A man takes a barrel that weighs 40 pounds, and then puts something in it. It now weighs less than 40 pounds. What did he put in it?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.