main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Amph [The Daily Show] Once Again With Jon Stewart (sometimes)

Discussion in 'Community' started by DantheJedi, Mar 5, 2013.

1. ShaneP

ShaneP Ex-Mod Officio star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Mar 26, 2001

How is what NPR is doing with Gawker and Buzzfeed related to what TDS will do?

2. Lord Vivec

Lord Vivec Chosen One star 9

Apr 17, 2006
    It's not. I was adding to criticism of Buzzfeed and Gawker.

3. I Are The Internets

I Are The Internets Shelf of Shame Host star 9 VIP - Game Host

Nov 20, 2012
    I'm gonna miss his Indecision segments the most.

Ezio Skywalker and TX-20 like this.
  4. ShaneP

ShaneP Ex-Mod Officio star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Mar 26, 2001

Ok.

Wowowowow

5. heels1785

heels1785 Skywalker Saga + JCC Manager / Finally Won A Draft star 10 Staff Member Manager

Dec 10, 2003
    "Here it is, my moment of Zen."

Please don't be gone long, Jon. We're always going to need you.

BigAl6ft6 likes this.
  6. The2ndQuest

The2ndQuest Tri-Mod With a Mouth star 10 Staff Member Manager

Jan 27, 2000
    Back in high school near the start of Jon's run, I was convinced to switch from Simpsons reruns to The Daily Show for my 11PM viewing entertainment and haven't looked back since (the quality of The Simpsons seasons airing in those first few years probably didn't hurt either ;)).

A very nice sendoff and nod towards the history and influence of the program under his watch, as well as some final words on the importance of being aware of the bull**** & manipulation that occurs in the media/news outlets, which sums up The Daily Show's mission and function this past decade and a half plus rather nicely.

Thanks, Jon- and good luck, Trevor.

7. Ezio Skywalker

Ezio Skywalker Jedi Master star 4

Jan 29, 2013
    Colbert's heartfelt thanks was a real tear-jerker.

Stewart and Colbert were truly amazing imo, even if evidently Fox News actually got stronger. :p

TX-20 likes this.
  8. heels1785

heels1785 Skywalker Saga + JCC Manager / Finally Won A Draft star 10 Staff Member Manager

Dec 10, 2003
    A tribute from Sen. Elizabeth Warren, who first appeared on the Daily Show before her rise to stardom:

[​IMG]

The first time Jon Stewart invited me onto The Daily Show six years ago, I threw up backstage. I had gut-wrenching, stomach-turning stage fright. I was a no-name college professor there in 2009 to talk about oversight of the Wall Street bailout. It was important – and I didn’t want to mess up and become the joke. The first couple of minutes seemed so terrible, I thought I would have to resign from my new position on the TARP Congressional Oversight Panel. But when we got to the commercial break, Jon could tell that I hadn’t said what I’d come to say. He took my arm, told me to stay in my seat -- and then he let me deliver this message. That moment changed my life. I’m grateful for every single time someone has come up to me and asked: “Hey, aren’t you that lady I saw on Jon Stewart?” Because almost every time I’ve told someone, “Yup, that’s me,” they’ve followed it up with: “Keep fighting!” That’s what Jon has done for 16 years: with passion and humor, he skewered the people who needed skewering, called out the big guys who rig the system, and prodded us all to fight back. Thanks, Jon!

9. DarthTunick

DarthTunick SFTC VII + Deadpool BOFF star 10 VIP - Game Host

Nov 26, 2000
    Though I didn't watch all that much of his program throughout the years (because of his herky-jerky style at the desk, not for everything or anything around it :p ; I've always preferred the style of Bill Maher, even when I disagree with his content), his impact, influence, etc, was more than understood, and I felt his sendoff was pitch perfect.

Juliet316 and heels1785 like this.
  10. I Are The Internets

I Are The Internets Shelf of Shame Host star 9 VIP - Game Host

Nov 20, 2012
    Watching this with the family tomorrow. We've been watching his show since we got cable in 2006. End of an era.

heels1785 and TX-20 like this.
  11. heels1785

Dec 10, 2003
    Really is. I've been watching since me and three of my friends would sneak into the football team's film room at lunch every day in high school to watch the last night's rerun.

Fifteen years ago.

DarthTunick likes this.
  12. Darth Punk

Darth Punk JCC Manager star 7 Staff Member Manager

Nov 25, 2013
    I always assumed you were roughly Larry David's' age. Thank God Jon Stewart replaced him, it's like a 10 years younger makeover

13. Juliet316

Juliet316 Chosen One star 10

Apr 27, 2005
    He had a huge influence on an entire generation IMO. It's a huge void that I don't know if anybody can fill.

14. Penguinator

Penguinator Former Mod star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 23, 2005
    What's up with the weird Stewart backlash of late? So-called "red tories" (I don't know what the equivalent is in the US) are upset at Stewart for being an elite liberal skewering right-wing targets exclusively. But, like, are these people aware that the liberals are just, well, not providing half as much material for skewering?

Anyways, haven't seen the final episode, but I did watch Colbert's little piece at the end there, and that was really wonderful.

Juliet316 likes this.
  15. BigAl6ft6

BigAl6ft6 Chosen One star 8

Nov 12, 2012
    yah the final episode was just downright sweet. It's generally just heartfelt, from every single corespondent ever returning and especially the lift from the Goodfellas tracking shot and Stewart went through the entire crew. As for all of the hoopla about Stewart being a liberal whiny anti-right wing anti-fox news so and so, I honestly just think the best stuff on the show was just Stewart being really, gloriously stupid and silly. There was this bit two weeks ago where Stewart just grunted his way through a whole segment and it was hilarious.

I'm somewhat interested in the Tevor Noah version but it'll be hard to replicate the very specific spark that made Stewart's Daily Show so watchable. At most, it might just be a really fantastic cover band version of Stewart's Daily Show. Which is fun.

16. heels1785

Dec 10, 2003

The Huckabee bit - I absolutely loved it.

Here it is:

Juliet316, Yodaminch and BigAl6ft6 like this.
  17. Ezio Skywalker

Jan 29, 2013
    What do all think of Trevor Noah? His stand up, while somewhat offensive, is quite funny.

18. BigAl6ft6

Nov 12, 2012
    He had a cameo on the final episode of Stewart's The Daily Show, my impression was I'll wait until his episode of The Daily Show and probably figure out of if I like it or not in five minutes, then tune back in for the US Election.

19. Ezio Skywalker

Jan 29, 2013
    His cameo in the finale was...meh.

His original segment(/s) for the Daily Show as a correspondent was decent. Imo, he should have continued doing correspondent bits. It would have made the transition easier for the audience than how they suddenly pulled him from working on screen. Also, the only bit he did since the original announcement was just him sitting in on one of Hassan's interviews. It was funny (mostly because Hassan is hilarious), but it was random and abrupt and isolated. He should have appeared in segments with Jessica and Jordan as well.

Not sure what the Daily Show's bigwigs were thinking here.

20. BigAl6ft6

Nov 12, 2012
    Hot Tub Time Machine 2 (yes, I am referencing that, yes I liked it more than the drubbing it got) had the characters in the future tuning into The Daily Show with Jessica Williams

I would have been very okay with that. Literally all I've seen of the Trevor fella is people not liking his twitterings after he was announced and that finale cameo. Kind of a weak bit too (Hey, look, new guy measuring the studio! I've seen that basic bit on talk shows, like, a lot).

I think the Stern show I heard them say Comedy Central trying to get a few other ones: Chris Rock (!) at least until the Election which I would have loved and they tried for Amy Schumer. Not sure if that would have been the best fit for the comedic stuff I've seen from her, though.

dahh, here's a whole article aboot it:

http://www.nytimes.com/2015/06/21/magazine/comedy-central-in-the-post-tv-era.html?_r=1

21. Darth Guy

Darth Guy Chosen One star 10

Aug 16, 2002
    Williams took herself out of the running early on. She's young, getting a lot of opportunities, and she understandably doesn't want to be tied down to a hosting gig.

22. BigAl6ft6

Nov 12, 2012
    I think Carrell's quip in the finale was kind of meta-fun "I never left, Jon. Becoming an international superstar was just something I did while waiting for my next assignment."

23. Yodaminch

Yodaminch Chosen One star 6

Mar 6, 2002
    I think the most surprising thing about Trevor is really the fact that we all expected it to be another more seasoned correspondent like Jessica. But let's see how he does. Jon gave him a huge gift leaving so early into an election. And Trump has given him an even bigger gift by staying in. So it's really just a matter of how good the writing is and how good his delivery is for that part. As to how he turns it into his own show beyond that, I'll be eager to see what happens. I'll definitely miss Jon and his glorious Fox takedowns, but I'm very curious to see what th new show will be like. Who knows, perhaps after several months where he is nice and settled in, the show can have some special "Fox BS" reports from their contributor Jon Stewart in the same way they had Lewis Black pop in and out.

24. Ezio Skywalker

Jan 29, 2013
    Iirc, Amy Schumer declined the offer to host the Daily Show because it was too intimidating/intense.

I do wonder though, did the more veteran correspondents who all quit this year do so because they didn't want to work without Jon, or because they were snubbed in favor of Trevor Noah?

25. Darth Guy

Darth Guy Chosen One star 10

Aug 16, 2002
    None of them wanted the job.