main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Amph [The Daily Show] Once Again With Jon Stewart (sometimes)

Discussion in 'Community' started by DantheJedi, Mar 5, 2013.

1. Alpha-Red

Alpha-Red Chosen One star 7

Apr 25, 2004
  2. Ezio Skywalker

Ezio Skywalker Jedi Master star 4

Jan 29, 2013
    I'm pretty sure that he was just joking about the Fox news thing. I watched the episode where he said that and it didn't come across as his real reason.

Months ago, I listened to a NPR interview with Jon Stewart and they asked him, since Colbert was leaving the network, if he would ever consider moving on too. Jon got very emotional and suggested that, like Colbert did in his final few episodes, his current career had drained him of energy and taken him away from his family due to the hours of work involved. It seemed at that point, so soon after Colbert's show had ended, that he was indeed contemplating a departure from the Daily Show.

That interview revealed a better look into his reasons than a quick, obligatory skit about Fox News.

3. I Are The Internets

I Are The Internets Shelf of Shame Host star 9 VIP - Game Host

Nov 20, 2012
  4. SuperWatto

SuperWatto Chosen One star 7

Sep 19, 2000
    I'm watching the Daily Show and I'm wondering about these little interviews within the reports. Who gives these interviews? Are these people for real? Surely, when you hold an illiberal viewpoint and you get a call from the Daily Show team, you're going to think it fishy? So how do they actually get people to give the interviews - are those people a. very stupid, b. unfamiliar with the Daily Show, c. actors or d. overconfident?

5. Ramza

Ramza Administrator Emeritus star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 13, 2008
    It's a mixture of a, b, and d. Mostly d these days, I suspect, though I do vaguely remember one instance a couple of years ago where some guy said something really, really stupid during the interview and it tanked his (admittedly very local) political career.

6. Darth Guy

Darth Guy Chosen One star 10

Aug 16, 2002
    I remember a couple on Colbert. There was one who thought the Ten Commandments were the Most Important Laws Ever and could only paraphrase about three. And there was that one Congressman Colbert goaded into saying, "I love cocaine." When news organizations started jumping on it, that was the only time I remember Colbert (not the character) being visibly annoyed. I don't think either of their careers tanked, though.

7. SuperWatto

Sep 19, 2000
    It's one of the most valuable aspects of the show and I sure hope it continues after Stewart's left, and that this Klepper guy stays.

8. SuperWatto

Sep 19, 2000
  9. Darth Guy

Aug 16, 2002
    Yeah, the edits are pretty noticeable if you look for them. They never seem to misrepresent the person's point of view, but they'll do stuff for the sake of a joke (on the correspondent as often as on the subject).

10. Jabba-wocky

Jabba-wocky Chosen One star 10

May 4, 2003
    The best Colbert interviews were: a) getting that Democratic House member to debate in defense of throwing kittens into wood chippers and b) the "better know a candidate" in a classic Dracula costume and accompanying makeup.

11. Lord Vivec

Lord Vivec Chosen One star 9

Apr 17, 2006
    Sauntaero and Ramza like this.
  12. Ramza

Jul 13, 2008
    That's the one I was thinking of! The magic of the internet, or something.

Lord Vivec likes this.
  13. Lord Vivec

Lord Vivec Chosen One star 9

Apr 17, 2006
    Also while we're here, I think the best outcome is Aasif Mandvi replacing Stewart. He's the most Jon Stewart of all the current correspondents.

Darth Guy, Ramza and Darth Punk like this.
  14. Darth Punk

Darth Punk JCC Manager star 7 Staff Member Manager

Nov 25, 2013
    Me likey

15. Jedi Merkurian

Jedi Merkurian Future Films Rumor Naysayer star 7 Staff Member Manager

May 25, 2000
    New host announced. I've seen some of Trevor Noah's stand-up work, along with his bits on TDS. I think the show is in good hands.

anakinfansince1983 likes this.
  16. SuperWatto

Sep 19, 2000
    Those bits, all counted, were... two?
    And, even though they were about our resident pet peeve (Americentrism), I thought they weren't that good - very acted, and the guy came across as vain instead of funny.

17. jp-30

jp-30 Manager Emeritus star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Dec 14, 2000
    Middle aged white guys just can't catch a break.

Darth Guy likes this.
  18. Darth Guy

Aug 16, 2002
    Like Vivec, I would have rather had Mandvi. Noah hasn't been on the show long enough for my taste-- what, less than a year? I guess everyone more senior didn't want the job.

Lord Vivec likes this.
  19. Penguinator

Penguinator Former Mod star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 23, 2005
    I think Jason Jones or Samantha Bee would've been my top picks, but I'm happy with Noah - but I mean, any pick they make is still a reluctant acceptance on my part because I don't want Stewart to leave.

20. Ramza

Jul 13, 2008
    That seems like the most likely theory to me. From what little I've seen of Trevor Noah, he's fine, but it's a bit surprising considering his relative position on the totem pole.

I do suspect we might've seen Larry Wilmore picked if he wasn't on The Nightly Show, though.

21. anakinfansince1983

anakinfansince1983 Skywalker Saga/LFL/YJCC Manager star 10 Staff Member Manager

Mar 4, 2011
    I love Trevor Noah. This is the best news I've heard about the show in months.

Sauntaero and Jedi Merkurian like this.
  22. heels1785

heels1785 Skywalker Saga + JCC Manager / Finally Won A Draft star 10 Staff Member Manager

Dec 10, 2003
    I like Trevor Noah a whole lot - I think he'll do great. I'm not sure that The Daily Show will ever be "must-see" for me again without Jon, but I'll definitely continue to watch.

Darth-Lando likes this.
  23. Jedi Merkurian

Jedi Merkurian Future Films Rumor Naysayer star 7 Staff Member Manager

May 25, 2000
    I wonder how long it will be before we see the thinly-veiled racist backlash?

24. Jabba-wocky

Jabba-wocky Chosen One star 10

May 4, 2003
    Based on the way that program runs, I doubt Wilmore had any interest in doing this style of program in the first place. He doesn't even seem to be that interested in comedy. Certainly, he's a funny man, but these shows subordinate any concerns about actual issues to comedic value, and it seems like he's attempting something more substantive than that.

25. Darth Guy

Aug 16, 2002
    Wilmore is fine, but the panels are terrible. They're usually dominated by people who don't know much, if anything, about the subject (the comedians) and they're way too short. Is he still doing the "keeping it 100" gimmick segment every episode? I stopped watching a few weeks into its run.

And I'm pretty sure that the format is just to differentiate it from the Daily Show/Colbert Report/Last Week Tonight. Comedy Central had tried panel shows before.