main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Amph [The Daily Show] Once Again With Jon Stewart (sometimes)

Discussion in 'Community' started by DantheJedi, Mar 5, 2013.

1. tom

tom Chosen One star 8

Mar 14, 2004
    i say stupid things all the time. hell, i've probably said something stupid in this thread. i confess that i'm mostly ignorant of the witch hunts, and what you describe does sound terrible. i do think however that if you say something sexist or antisemitic in public you should expect to be called on it. if you say it to thousands or millions of people who "follow" you, you should expect to be called on it by thousands or millions of people. if it goes beyond that into death threats and whatever else then that's a serious problem and should be treated as such.

2. EmpireForever

EmpireForever Force Ghost star 8

Mar 15, 2004
    Twitter isn't the only platform people use to witch hunt.

3. VadersLaMent

VadersLaMent Chosen One star 10

Apr 3, 2002
    Noah hates atheists too, or at least Christopher Hitchens. The fat girl thing is a joke, We have all heard far worse and they are jokes.

HERE

So, just what jokes are we allowed to tell, and what jokes is he allowed ot tell and is he joking? Regardless, we are moving into a post-Stewart world and I was hoping he'd hang in there for the next election.

Jedi Merkurian likes this.
  4. Lord Vivec

Lord Vivec Chosen One star 9

Apr 17, 2006
    Nobody here said it was.

What was said is that it's conducive to witchhunting based on how the platform is set up.

5. Ender Sai

Ender Sai Chosen One star 10

Feb 18, 2001

Yeah for that first one, this is also the guy who was born in a country that said he shouldn't exist and did a bit about how he learned German to impress his dad by listening to German speeches, which included Hitler. Watch him order a sandwich in Hitlerian tones, it's brilliant - especially where the woman looks at him and says "der schwarze Hitler!"

6. Ezio Skywalker

Ezio Skywalker Jedi Master star 4

Jan 29, 2013
    Does the outrage crowd think that Jon Stewart wasn't aware of Trevor's antisemitic jokes?

7. Ender Sai

Feb 18, 2001
    How is that even antisemitic though? To be that is totally fine, dry humour that pokes more fun at Germans and the Nazis than the Jewish kid. But it's gallowsy, British humour.

8. Jabba-wocky

Jabba-wocky Chosen One star 10

May 4, 2003
    You must live an incredibly sheltered, privileged life for this to qualify as "hate." He clearly disagrees with atheism and dislikes Hitchens, probably because the man was an intemperate bigot. As we keep trying to tell KK, someone having a different opinion doesn't mean they are oppressing you. Ye gods.

9. Ender Sai

Feb 18, 2001
    Hitch was the best.

10. Darth Guy

Darth Guy Chosen One star 10

Aug 16, 2002
    I don't think Noah is "oppressing" atheists, but he's clearly not just badmouthing Hitchens (which would be fair enough because he was a bigot who supported neo-cons). I don't think he should be condemned based on everything he's ever said; I do think those tweets are pretty ****ing stupid and reek of the usual types of people who infest social media.

Rogue1-and-a-half likes this.
  11. Jabba-wocky

May 4, 2003
    This goes back to the problem Lord of Vivec originally outlined. Twitter is fundamentally only suited to A) children or B) people who want to express themselves like children. I don't know why anyone would be surprised that an opinion expressed there is wholly lacking in nuance or insight or the barest shred of thoughtfulness. It's one of the most completely worthless developments in recent memory.

Your of course as free to disagree with him as he was to make the lame "foxholes" style comment about atheism in the first place. But it's ridiculous to hold up the remarks as somehow disqualifying, like VLM seemed to be suggesting.

12. SuperWatto

SuperWatto Chosen One star 7

Sep 19, 2000
    Seconded.

13. Ender Sai

Feb 18, 2001

Did I do it right?

Also, SuperWatto - praat jy Afrikaans?

SuperWatto likes this.
  14. SuperWatto

Sep 19, 2000
    Nee

Debo and Ender Sai like this.
  15. anakinfansince1983

anakinfansince1983 Skywalker Saga/LFL/YJCC Manager star 10 Staff Member Manager

Mar 4, 2011
  16. Lord Vivec

Apr 17, 2006
    Unlike the average idiot on twitter, there's no reason to be mad about everything dumb everyone says. Outrage culture has to stop.

to clarify: you're your own person and you shouldn't feel pressured to be upset about something you're not just because people on the internet are upset about it.

17. Ender Sai

Feb 18, 2001
    I agree. But...

18. Jabba-wocky

May 4, 2003
    Anyone who feels upset should realize that the true source of the problem here is Twitter.

19. JoinTheSchwarz

JoinTheSchwarz Former Head Admin star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 21, 2002
    The true problem is you, Jabba-whiskey.

Ender Sai likes this.
  20. Ramza

Ramza Administrator Emeritus star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 13, 2008
    The problem is power structures. It's always power structures.

Or possibly Power Station.

21. Point Given

Point Given Manager star 7 Staff Member Manager

Dec 12, 2006
    What Noah said is pretty crappy but I wonder if any millenial will be able to participate in public discourse without being criticized for something bad they've said on social media in the past. Political campaigns are going to be even more irritating in the next couple of decades.

22. tom

tom Chosen One star 8

Mar 14, 2004
    i'm just annoyed by the apparent need to split people into two camps. it's like either get over it because it was just a joke and doesn't everyone say something a little sexist or make bad holocaust jokes sometimes? or you must be at he head of an angry mob, caught up in the frenzy of "outrage culture". it's either a dumb joke someone said one day years ago or it's his official word, published in stone for all eternity. the truth is that the internet has created a new grey area that exists somewhere between those two extremes, and i just wish that people could look at that in a more balanced and rational way. you can be critical of the things noah (or anyone) has said, and still realize that people make and learn from mistakes and that's how we grow and mature. stuff like this certainly shouldn't ruin someone's career. but that doesn't mean that it should be a complete non-issue either, and those shouldn't be the only two options.

23. Adam of Nuchtern

Adam of Nuchtern Force Ghost star 6

Sep 2, 2012
  24. Lord Vivec

Apr 17, 2006
  25. SuperWatto

Sep 19, 2000
    False equivalence