main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Amph [The Daily Show] Once Again With Jon Stewart (sometimes)

Discussion in 'Community' started by DantheJedi, Mar 5, 2013.

1. anakinfansince1983

anakinfansince1983 Skywalker Saga/LFL/YJCC Manager star 10 Staff Member Manager

Mar 4, 2011
    I give it 24 hours, tops.

This sketch, which I posted in the Ender Rags on 'Murica thread, is how I know the show will still be enjoyable.

Gamiel and Jedi Merkurian like this.
  2. The2ndQuest

The2ndQuest Tri-Mod With a Mouth star 10 Staff Member Manager

Jan 27, 2000
    I like this choice- it is unexpected but I liked him during those 2 segments he appeared in. Very few people knew Jon Stewart when he took over from Kilborn, so taking someone fresh at least follows that.

Although I suspect critics of TDS will use his non-American origins as a means/excuse to dismiss any commentary or stories the show does about subjects they are tied to ("Oh, just another foreigner trying to tell us what's wrong with America!"). Hopefully the quality of the show will continue to fend off such empty statements (though, granted, that hasn't stopped people from reiterating the tiredly inaccurate claim that it's nothing but a liberal news show despite the fact that it it's more focused on the media coverage of news across the spectrum).

Jedi Merkurian likes this.
  3. JoinTheSchwarz

JoinTheSchwarz Former Head Admin star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 21, 2002
    It's amazing how little it took to find some sexist 2011 tweets by Noah.

4. Darth Guy

Darth Guy Chosen One star 10

Aug 16, 2002
  5. JoinTheSchwarz

JoinTheSchwarz Former Head Admin star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 21, 2002
  6. Lord Vivec

Lord Vivec Chosen One star 9

Apr 17, 2006
    Man, people need jobs.

Rogue1-and-a-half likes this.
  7. PRENNTACULAR

PRENNTACULAR VIP star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Dec 21, 2005
    i view the fact that he's a relative outsider as a big plus. TDS was never going to live up to 2008, prime Stewart. And had they just bumped up somebody who had been there forever and was largely a product of Stewart's shadow (like Mandvi), I feel like the show would have continued on in the same direction it had been going, only not as good (because nobody can do Stewart as well as Stewart), and we're all tired of it anyway.

this choice allows the show to change in ways that other choices wouldn't have, and i think that's a good thing.

8. Rebel_Padawan

Rebel_Padawan Jedi Grand Master star 4

Apr 11, 2003
    So Trevor Noah is 31 and James Corden, new host of The Late Late Show, is 36. Granted the two shows are very different beasts but I'm wondering if this is the beginning of a trend... Oh wait Colbert is 50 never mind.

9. Rogue1-and-a-half

Rogue1-and-a-half Manager Emeritus who is writing his masterpiece star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 2, 2000
    I find the outrage over things like this ridiculous. People are genuinely saying that they won't be watching TDS because the guy made one offensive tweet four years ago. That's idiotic.

I've enjoyed the segments he's done lately on the show and I think he has an interesting voice; tonally very different from Stewart. Which I think has to be the way to go if the show wants to survive; no one's going to survive if they come on and try to imitate Stewart. I don't know that this will work and just because he's done some good segments doesn't mean he'll be a good host. But it's an interesting choice and I won't pass judgment yet (especially not based on a tweet from years ago).

Rew, Gamiel, The2ndQuest and 2 others like this.
  10. anakinfansince1983

anakinfansince1983 Skywalker Saga/LFL/YJCC Manager star 10 Staff Member Manager

Mar 4, 2011
    The tweet was bad but I've seen far worse, and it won't stop me from watching or enjoying the show.

11. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    The tweet is also missing a tone/delivery- there are a lot of deliveries one could use with that joke that would make it fly (though it would still be an edgier roast-like joke). It's not like he was conversationally expressing an opinion.

12. Ezio Skywalker

Ezio Skywalker Jedi Master star 4

Jan 29, 2013
    I can't say that I'm a fan of this choice. Trevor's (very) few segments have been decent, but not as funny as the other new guy, Hasan Minhaj. I had suspected that Jason Jones and Sam Bee might do a co-hosting format, but then Jones just resigned last week. Unfortunate.

13. Darth Guy

Aug 16, 2002
    Because it's Twitter.

14. tom

tom Chosen One star 8

Mar 14, 2004
    CT-867-5309 likes this.
  15. Lord Vivec

Apr 17, 2006
    I'd be pretty much okay with Twitter not existing. People post inherently stupid things on it. Furthermore, huge crowds of people join in witchhunts without reading more into a situation. It's a recipe for disaster.

Jedi Merkurian and SuperWatto like this.
  16. tom

tom Chosen One star 8

Mar 14, 2004
    inherently stupid things and witchhunts - totally unique to twitter.

Jedi Merkurian and SuperWatto like this.
  17. Darth Guy

Aug 16, 2002
    Stupid things aren't unique to Twitter, obviously. However Twitter's character limit is uniquely stupid and encourages stupidity in a unique way.

Also, if I ever become a public figure, remind me to nuke the JC's servers. I'm pretty sure I've said something offensive in the past six years that I regret.

solojones, Jabbadabbado, Rew and 2 others like this.
  18. Jabba-wocky

Jabba-wocky Chosen One star 10

May 4, 2003
    Twitter is a major source of contemporary stupidity. Among the worst offenders are journalists who choose to "report" on Twitter's reaction to an event. I can read the website myself, thank you. I hardly need your summary of a bunch of half-considered opinions that someone smashed onto the keypad of their telephone while waiting in line at the grocery store. The fact that the author was too lazy and unthoughtful to investigate an actual story does not mean that we will find the musings of other lazy people to be enlightening. On the other hand, hey, Captain Crunch is the number one trending cereal on Twitter this week.

Jedi Merkurian , CT-867-5309 and tom like this.
  19. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    Yeah, I agree it was still stupid- if you think a joke needs a certain delivery, either find a better medium for it or discard it.

20. Lord Vivec

Apr 17, 2006
    Yes, I literally said this in my post.

21. tom

tom Chosen One star 8

Mar 14, 2004
    no, but your complaints are literally true of the entire internet.

22. Lord Vivec

Apr 17, 2006
    The entire internet isn't as conducive to what I'm complaining about as twitter is. The 140 character limit was already brought up, which encourages being as brief as possible at the expense of content. There's immense pressure for anyone who's anyone to have a twitter account and get followers. Furthermore, there's pressure to keep tweeting several times a day, regardless of how inane the content actually is. You tell me this isn't more conducive to stupid comments than other places. At least in other places you get stupid comments from stupid people; on twitter you have stupid comments from everybody simply because the system is set up to make stupid comments. Next, on to witch hunts, the ease in retweeting comments allows for people to simply retweet popular tweets without even thinking about them or even reading them.

Are there other stupid places on the internet? Yes. Does the internet in general allow for more stupidity than personal interaction? Yes. But to sit here and tell me that the system set up around twitter isn't especially geared towards stupidity is ridiculous.

23. tom

tom Chosen One star 8

Mar 14, 2004
    eh. it, like most of the internet, has both good and bad. my twitter feed is awesome, entertaining and informative. i'm not going to defend the entirety of the website, but i like what i get out of it. the idea that celebrities are feeling "pressure" to tweet a lot is insane to me, but i guess could be true? that idea is just so sad and bizarre. people retweeting things without either reading them or thinking about them doesn't strike me as a very effective witch hunt.

i mean i agree with you to an extent, a huge portion of the content on twitter is awful. i've just never found that hard to ignore.

Darth Tunes likes this.
  24. Jabba-wocky

Jabba-wocky Chosen One star 10

May 4, 2003
    But why should we have to ignore it? Lord of Vivec is arguing for a better world where it does not exist at all.

25. Lord Vivec

Apr 17, 2006
    If you became a target of a witch hunt (and these witch hunts do affect people's lives, including doxxing, death threats, and other nonsense) because of something stupid you said, I think you'd see. And don't tell you me you've never said anything stupid. We all have.

Jedi Merkurian likes this.