main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Sth Bend, IN Daily Trivia

Discussion in 'MidWest Regional Discussion' started by Xmaveric, May 14, 2001.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Xmaveric

Xmaveric Jedi Master star 5

Nov 25, 2000
    The rock band REO Speedwagon chose its unusual name from an early 1900s flatbed truck. The letters "REO" are the initials of Ransom Eli Olds, "Father of the Automobile," who invented the Oldsmobile and was president of Reo Motor Vehicle Company from 1904 to 1924. The flatbed truck was high-speed and heavy-duty for its time, and was considered a milestone in transportation history.

2. BaseDeltaZero

BaseDeltaZero Jedi Master star 4

Mar 5, 2001
    hmmm...wonder where you got that from X

3. JediJeff13

JediJeff13 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 27, 2000
    JediJeff's REO brush with greatness stories:

1) Once dated a girl that helped babysit over at Kevin Cronin's house (he lived in Oak Lawn, IL ya know)

2) Once delivered a bed to the sister of Kevin Cronin. (Alright....knock off the "test it out?" comments")

No **** on both.

4. KnnOs

KnnOs Jedi Master star 2

Feb 8, 2001
    "The Bird" (i.e. your middle finger) dates back to Roman times, where it was invented as a symbol. (ignore your thumb and pinky finger and you'll get it)

5. Xmaveric

Nov 25, 2000
    In 1999, the National Ethnic Coalition of Organizations organized a boycott of the Mafia-themed show The Sopranos, saying it presented a distorted view of the typical Italian-American family, and calling it "a horribly negative stereotype, an embarrassment and a slap in the face to every Italian-American in this country."

6. BaseDeltaZero

Mar 5, 2001
    That is like saying Young Guns makes every cowboy look like an outlaw. What a crock of ____ (fill in the blank).

7. Xmaveric

Nov 25, 2000
    ...butter?

8. KnnOs

KnnOs Jedi Master star 2

Feb 8, 2001
    As much as I can't stand him or his show, Bill Maher made an excellent point about this. Itallians benefit from this image. We all figure (or pretend) that we know somebody, and we use this to our advantage, to make jokes or sometimes serious threats. I truly cannot see an Itallian being upset by this, as most of the Itallians I know (my immediate family and my frined's family) think it's a fantastic show not degrading to Itallians.

This probably has SOMETHING to do with the fact that we are very secure as a people about our cultural identity, we are willing to admit that this is one of our problems, but that few Itallians actually engage in it.

9. BaseDeltaZero

Mar 5, 2001
    Good for you Knnos. I wonder how many people in the National Ethnic Coalition of Organizations are actually Itallians and voted their opinion on this. I also wonder how many shared the opinion that you do, that it is a great show.

10. Xmaveric

Nov 25, 2000
    Alicia Silverstone, the 18-year-old star of Clueless (1995), was previously in three Aerosmith music videos ? one won the best video of all time award from MTV.

11. JediJeff13

Nov 27, 2000
    A rat can tread water for three days and slip through a whole the size of a quarter.

12. Xmaveric

Nov 25, 2000
    Rats! Why did it have to be rats?

13. Kawphy

Kawphy Jedi Master star 4

Aug 17, 1999
    What's the point of boycotting a show that doesn't have advertisers?

14. BaseDeltaZero

Mar 5, 2001
    What show is that?

15. KnnOs

KnnOs Jedi Master star 2

Feb 8, 2001
    he's referring to Sopranos.

16. Xmaveric

Nov 25, 2000
    Raised in London from the age of two, Gillian Anderson's family moved back to the United States when she was a teenager. Her British accent made her the subject of cruel ridicule by her Michigan peers. She became a rebellious teen, was voted "Most Bizarre Girl" in school, and sang backup in a local punk band ? a startling contrast from her calm Dana Scully character on The X-Files.

17. KnnOs

KnnOs Jedi Master star 2

Feb 8, 2001
    Patrick Stewart left high school to start his acting career

18. Xmaveric

Nov 25, 2000
    ...Obviously.

19. KnnOs

KnnOs Jedi Master star 2

Feb 8, 2001
    does NO ONE here like Patrick Stewart? He was in DUNE, for crying out tears, DUNE!! AND X-men!!

and there was also this part in a little show I doubt you've ever heard of.

20. jedigal

jedigal Jedi Padawan star 4

Sep 21, 2000
    "I'm with you too."

KnnOs, I too, like Patrick Stewart. A lot! Without him, the character of Starfleet Captain Jean Luc Picard would never have been so richly portrayed. Picard's my favorite ST captain so far.

I don't give him much kudos for Dune, though, but it's not b/c of anything that's his fault, it's b/c IMO, that movie did a horrible job of portraying the universe Frank Herbert described. I thought Dune suc&ed.

But he was good in X-men, and also did a great villain in that obnoxious movie (forget the name) where the kids at a boarding school are kidnapped, and don't forget his villain in Conspiracy Theory! That dude was mean! And also a cameo as King Arthur in some movie (was it Princess Bride?). And lots of other stuff, this just being the newer stuff that's on the top of my mind.

Does that make ya feel at all better? You are NOT alone in the SWfandom universe in your appreciation for PS. And a big raspberry to all those who DON'T like him. So there!

21. JediJeff13

Nov 27, 2000
    That cameo as King Arthur was "Robin Hood: Men in Tights"

22. KnnOs

KnnOs Jedi Master star 2

Feb 8, 2001
    JediGal, if my soul were not such a pit of depraved blackness, that comment would warm it to supernova levels. As it is, you managed to break it out of absolute zero, so many thanks!

23. Xmaveric

Nov 25, 2000
    Engage!

24. JediJeff13

Nov 27, 2000
    Make it so, Number 1.

25. Xmaveric

Nov 25, 2000
    In the beach scene near the end of the Beatles' film Help! (1965), John Lennon had an appointment and could not be present. Another actor stood in for him.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.