main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Daily/Weekly Box Office Returns- Your Thoughts

Discussion in 'Archive: The Amphitheatre' started by solojones, Nov 19, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. solojones

solojones Chosen One star 10

Sep 27, 2000
    Sometimes daily, sometimes weekly, the top box office films change. These films don't always represent the best films, but they do represent the films making the most money in the US, and around the world.

This thread's purpose is to discuss the films that are topping the box office on a daily/weekly basis.
    The current list is:

Title and Monday's Numbers (US)
    Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets- $5.32M
    8 Mile- $1.19M
    The Ring- $607K
    The Santa Clause 2: The Mrs. Clause- $528K
    Lockdown- $431K
    My Big Fat Greek Wedding- $279K
    Jackass- $274K
    Frida- $246K
    I Spy- $202K
    Bowling for Columbine- $120K

And the most recent Europe returns I can find are from the weekend of Nov 8:

Title and Weekend Numbers
    Red Dragon United- $8,624,769
    XX- $4,518,119
    Insomnia- $3,681,349
    Changing Lanes- $2,937,937
    Minority Report- $1,996,218
    Mr. Deeds Sony- $1,879,438
    Signs- $1,854,778
    The Bourne Identity- $1,799,262
    28 Days Later- $1,717,967
    Jet Lag- $1,560,907

Thoughts? Comments? Differening return stats? Discuss. :)

-sj loves kevin spacey

2. xie

xie Jedi Knight star 5

May 25, 2002
    Wow, My Big Fat Greek Wedding was out around the time Spider Man and AOTC were out. I can't believe it still makes it up this high on the list (and that it still is playing in so many theaters to make that much).

Really no surprise with Harry Potter leading the list, but it hasn't raked in TONS of cash, a la Clones. I suppose it doesn't appeal to nearly as many fans though, and younger children aren't as likely to see a movie 6 times. :p

I guess it just isn't a "movie" time of the year. Plus it doesn't appeal to as many fans. ::shrug::

3. solojones

Sep 27, 2000
    $93.7M is what HP has taken in gross so far. These numbers are all according to IMDB Pro (the trial of which, I only have for a while...)

My thoughts on all these numbers later. I have to eat soon :)

-sj loves kevin spacey

4. xie

xie Jedi Knight star 5

May 25, 2002
    Well, Attack of the Clones, in its opening weekend, and it didn't open on a weekend day pulled in $80.027m (USA). I don't know the numbers for that Thursday and Friday, though I assume they're rather high.

Not bad for a movie about some Hocus Pokus.

5. solojones

Sep 27, 2000
    Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets-
    [face_plain] IMHO, a giant marketing scheme. It might be well made, but I don't care for it. However, this is no surprise.

8 Mile-
    I've heard it's good, and I'm sure it has it's place, just not my type of movie.

The Ring-
    Proves that people never cease to love being scared. I saw it twice, and personally, I didn't think it was all that great. It was just ok.

The Santa Clause 2: The Mrs. Clause-
    Haven't seen it yet, but the first is an excellent family film.

Lockdown-
    I don't think I've heard of this one...

My Big Fat Greek Wedding-
    EXCELLENT film! The premier was in KC way back in the spring, and my friend's dad went. None of us thought it was gonna be a big film at all. And then, it just turned out to be the highest grossing Indie film ever! Finally a film that no one can argue isn't indie :p Good to see it still going strong.

Jackass-
    The show was mildly amusing, but this film is just proof that gross-out lives on [face_plain]

Frida-
    I really want to see this movie. I heard about it a long time ago just because it showed up on Edward Norton's IMDB page :p I've seen a lot about it, and it looks good.

I Spy-
    Didn't see it. Looked like you basic comedy.

Bowling for Columbine-
    Very intriguing film. Haven't seen it, though, it sounds good.

Red Dragon-
    :_| Why must I be tortured??? My parents aren't letting me see it until it's on DVD :(

XXX-
    [face_plain] The continuance of the stupid action film, with the chicks, the gadgets, etc. Please, leave the James Bond stuff to James Bond. I refuse to see XXX.

Insomnia-
    Christopher Nolan does it again! This film is beautifully directed, precicely acted, and made me REALLY tired :p

Changing Lanes-
    Haven't seen it yet, but I plan on it very soon.

Minority Report-
    Great sci-fi movie! I can't wait for this one on DVD.

Mr. Deeds Sony-
    Another Adam Sandler film I refuse to see. I heard they really disgraced the original.

Signs-
    As much as I like Shyamalan, this isn't my favourite of his films. It was good, though. Better overall than The Ring, I thought, even if it doesn't have the "jump" scenes that The Ring has.

The Bourne Identity-
    Never saw it, not really planning on it.

28 Days Later-
    Haven't heard of it.

Jet Lag-
    Haven't heard of it.

-sj loves kevin spacey

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.