main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

ST Daisy Ridley (Rey) in Episode VII

Discussion in 'Sequel Trilogy' started by Chained Prometheus, Apr 30, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Adi_Gallia_9

Adi_Gallia_9 Jedi Grand Master star 5

Apr 16, 2001
    An interesting little Vogue article on Daisy (and John).

It's just reacting to the rumors about the plot, so no new info or anything really. But it's interesting that Vogue picked up on it, and they did add that:

"When Vogue invited Daisy Ridley to this year’s annual Costume Institute Gala, the ingénue was forced to decline the offer without question. And now we know why she was so busy"

I'm jealous she got invited! Also:

"Ridley and Boyega may have slipped under your radar thus far, but prepare to see this generation’s Luke and Leia everywhere starting next year."

They are both about to blow-up, that's for sure!

2. JediAce1

JediAce1 Force Ghost star 5

May 8, 2014
    How the hell did she get invited to the Met Gala? She wasn't even famous before her star wars role. Pretty much only well known celebrities are invited. Daisy even tweeted she never got an invite, so it looks like Vogue was just caught in a lie to make themselves look good.

DARTH_MUPPET likes this.
  3. DARTH MUPPET

DARTH MUPPET Jedi Grand Master star 3

Apr 16, 2001
    I find it greatly amusing that all these media outlets are just now catching on to the fact that Daisy and John are the two main protagonists for the new trilogy... something many of us have pretty much "known" since right after the big casting announcement.

It also cracks me up that Vogue called Daisy's appearance in "Mr. Selfridge" her "largest role to date", when it was pretty much the exact opposite. Sigh... If I had the means, I'd send all these people a copy of Daisy's "Silent Witness" episodes. Then they'd see what she's really capable of.

Don't get me wrong, I LOVE that the mainstream media is finally starting to give Daisy some attention, I just wish they'd work a little harder on doing their homework.

4. KitsterAKABobaFett

KitsterAKABobaFett Jedi Grand Master star 3

May 31, 2007
    If Han and Leia are important military and political figures in the Rebellion/New Republic, I could see their daughter being portrayed as a "princess" of sorts, a starry-eyed sheltered kid who dreams of leaving the "castle." She might not technically be Alderaan royalty because it doesn't exist, but she could be more like a "First Daughter" who yearns for adventure. Basically, a combination of Luke's idealism and Leia's upbringing.

5. DARTH MUPPET

DARTH MUPPET Jedi Grand Master star 3

Apr 16, 2001
    From everything we've heard thus far, it's likely that WON'T be the case. If she is their daughter, the rumors make it sound like she'll basically be a female version of what Han was like at her age... Very snarky, independent, and able to handle her own in a fight.

TK327, Revanfan1, Rabs and 3 others like this.
  6. Satipo

Satipo Force Ghost star 7

Mar 29, 2014
    Yeah. I don't see her as a princess at all. I see her as street smart.

TK327, Revanfan1, Yanksfan and 3 others like this.
  7. Thrawn082

Thrawn082 Force Ghost star 6

Jan 11, 2014
    Even Leia didn't really fit the "pampered sheltered princess" role in the OT either. And I don't see her and Han as being the type of people to be smotheringly overprotective of their children. Han would probably be like "so you want to fly the Falcon, fine get in the cockpit. But one scratch and you're in big trouble lady."

Satipo, Yanksfan, CairnsTony and 2 others like this.
  8. CairnsTony

CairnsTony Force Ghost star 5

May 7, 2014
    After having crashed the Falcon on a remote backwater planet and contacted Han on the Holonet...

"Um.... Dad I sort of scratched the Falcon..."

9. starocean90

starocean90 Chosen One star 8

Feb 19, 2014
    and Han is like
    "Chewie get my belt";)

10. leia-jade

leia-jade Jedi Padawan star 1

Jul 20, 2014

Hmm. Considering that she's 20ish (???), I could see her having a bit more freedom, maybe even having a small military or political role. (Like, a "you got this aide internship because you're an Organa Solo" job.)

11. the_sinister_hologram

the_sinister_hologram Jedi Knight star 3

Nov 3, 2012
    I don't know if this has been said anywhere on the 122 pages - what if she is actually Luke's daughter.
    Here's what I think:

• Firstly, people assume that she's Han and Leia's because that's what happened in the old EU. And as we all know the new EU will just borrow things from there, but make its own story. And the production team knows that. They place DR between Ford and Fisher at the casting roundtable so when everyone sees that picture they immediately jump to the obvious conclusion.

• Second, the heroes of each trilogy were the offspring of the Skywalkers. Luke was the son of the main protagonist in the PT, Anakin. So isn't it possible that DR is actually the daughter of the OT protagonist, Luke? Leia is Luke's sister, but she wasn't the main character in the OT.

• Third, I could see how this works - Luke went to do his thing, discovering Jedi relics, trying to find suitable candidates for the new Jedi Order and so on, and left young DR with her aunt and uncle (sounds familiar?).

• Fourth, if that's the case, then she has an extra motivation to search for Luke, if he's been gone for a long time.

• Fifth, it makes room for a "I am your father" scene, in case she actually doesn't know that Luke is her father. In the PT we had a similar moment with Palpatine and Anakin during the opera scene and in the OT... we all know that scene on Bespin.

The Auxiliary, Rabs and Satipo like this.
  12. CairnsTony

May 7, 2014
    It's been mentioned more than once. I suggested it earlier on. Either way, I'm pretty convinced she's a Skywalker by heritage, but I still think most likely a Solo.

DARTH_MUPPET likes this.
  13. soul8luos

soul8luos Jedi Master star 4

Sep 19, 2013
    The only rumor regarding Daisy's character is it's a bloodline role and according to bleedingcool, it's a big deal.

DARTH_MUPPET likes this.
  14. Scummy_and_Villainous

Scummy_and_Villainous Jedi Knight star 3

May 13, 2013

Han whoops first.

15. Hoggsquattle

Hoggsquattle Jedi Master star 5

Feb 7, 2009
    All plausible.

However, the fifth one - Palpatine is not implying he is Anakin's father. Abrams will not do another parental revelation like that - he is not a lazy writer.

16. KeithyT

KeithyT Jedi Knight star 2

Apr 17, 2014
    John Boyega and Daisy Ridley's interaction on Twitter brings a smile to my face every day. Two friends having the best time...

17. Adi_Gallia_9

Apr 16, 2001
    Yeah, they are wonderful. I am admittedly a little worried about the roles Han, Luke and Leia will be playing, but I could not be more excited for the new characters, especially Daisy and John.

18. Hoggsquattle

Feb 7, 2009

It is likely that they invited her - everyone and their uncle will be trying to jump on the Star Wars limelight bandwagon.

The absence of the brains behind the invitations to realise the girl is a bit busy just know makes my head hurt :p

19. darklordoftech

darklordoftech Force Ghost star 6

Sep 30, 2012
    I'd love if Daisy's character is the main hero. I'm a strong advocate for female heroes and a female human Jedi is something that we haven't seen yet in the movies.

20. Cramdaline

Cramdaline Jedi Youngling

Jun 29, 2014
    Looking forward in anticipation to seeing Didley's performance :)

21. CairnsTony

May 7, 2014
    My sentiments exactly.:)

DARTH_MUPPET and darklordoftech like this.
  22. Hoggsquattle

Feb 7, 2009

The majority of Abrams female characters are well written and thought out - strong without being tomboys and intelligent (Walter and Peter in Fringe had IQs and brains through the roof but Olivia was never lacking in the smarts to keep up - they needed her as much as she needed them)

I think Abrams history is sufficient evidence we are going to see great things with Daisy's character - as we will with them all. :)

Myself656, Yanksfan, Ryus and 3 others like this.
  23. Adi_Gallia_9

Apr 16, 2001
  24. solo77

solo77 Jedi Grand Master star 5

Aug 28, 2002
    Is that you Flanders?

markdeez and Hogsquattle like this.
  25. jedijax

jedijax Force Ghost star 6

May 2, 2013
    I'd hope that we don't get Daisy already on Tatooine or wherever. I hope we see how and why she's there. We've already seen Anakin and Luke already living on Ta

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.