main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

ST Daisy Ridley (Rey) in Episode VII

Discussion in 'Sequel Trilogy' started by Chained Prometheus, Apr 30, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. CairnsTony

CairnsTony Force Ghost star 5

May 7, 2014
    When I first read that article, that's exactly how I took it. Then I thought about it some more and was reminded that the source was the Daily Mirror. Conflating their own crap with the facts is something they routinely do.

Now it's entirely possible that her Dad did actually say that, and believe you me I want it to be true. I'd prefer however to read it in a more reliable source before I will 100% believe it. :)

DARTH_MUPPET likes this.
  2. DARTH MUPPET

DARTH MUPPET Jedi Grand Master star 3

Apr 16, 2001
    I'd love it if Daisy's character ends up being a Solo or a Skywalker, but really, as long as her character is well written and gets a decent story arc, then I'm good. I just want Daisy to be given a good meaty role that is memorable and allows her to show what she's capable of.

Seeher and CairnsTony like this.
  3. DANNASUK

DANNASUK Force Ghost star 7

Nov 1, 2012
    J.J has a history of hiding behind rumours to protect identity of key characters and plots.

Remember how the entire world was certain the villain in Star Trek: Into the Darkness was Gary Mitchell? After the first trailer was released, J.J camp was fueling the Gary Mitchell rumour to turn all attention away from the revelation of Khan being the antagonist. You can still read all the quotes from 'insider' who confirmed it was Gary Mitchell and the plot was, again, about the meaning of time and space. Benedict Cumberbatch was even talking up his character's 'psychic powers' to add more truth to all the attention.

In the end, it was an alternative story of Khan. The story was 100% completely different to the allege 'confirmed plot' rumour.

The identity of Daisy's character and that of the main villain will probably not be unearthed until the trailer. J.J will perpetuate every single rumour to keep everything a secret.

Ryus likes this.
  4. TelemachosJr

TelemachosJr Jedi Youngling star 1

Jul 12, 2014
    Jj is not going to rehash something someone else has written

Hoggsquattle likes this.
  5. TelemachosJr

Jul 12, 2014
    At least one of the leads has to be related to the skywalkers

CrazyOldJedi and ChildOfWinds like this.
  6. DARTH MUPPET

Apr 16, 2001
    Actually, they don't. One of them probably is(Daisy being the most likely candidate), but this is a new Trilogy with new people deciding where the story will go. One of the biggest complaints about STAR WARS has always been how everyone being related in some way makes the Universe feel small. JJ, KK, and LK may have decided to break with tradition and address that complaint head on. Just sayin'...

Han Drolo likes this.
  7. Hoggsquattle

Hoggsquattle Jedi Master star 5

Feb 7, 2009
    You are putting yourself out in the "public" eye by running the website and therefore consenting to leaving yourself open to criticism should claims be proved wrong or people doubt your credibility - which comes not revealing the source of your rumours or "information".

You have also confirmed that the website does earn money.

Therefore Myself656 is perfectly entitled to comment on it. As is anyone else.

Never heard that "complaint" before.

What an absolute bizarre thought?

Who are these people?

ChildOfWinds, Ryus and Myself656 like this.
  8. the_sinister_hologram

the_sinister_hologram Jedi Knight star 3

Nov 3, 2012
    That's why they are going to make some spin-off movies.

The Episodes, on the other hand, will not break the rule of the legacy of heroes and villains previously established.
    It's how it has been in the past 6 movies, there is no reason to believe that it will be different for the next 3 (or 6?) Episodes.

9. Hoggsquattle

Hoggsquattle Jedi Master star 5

Feb 7, 2009
    Thus is as it should be.:)

Why would that make it more appealing to a larger audience?

No it isn't.

- but you are right about the Legacy thing - I don't understand why people don't see that.

I'm a doctor if anyone wants medical evidence. I'm also an investment banker and give you a 300% return.

Trust me, I'm a lawyer.

;)

Thats a bit melodramatic, isn't it?

Don't believe strangers on the internet.

I believe she is also holding that blaster wrong - even Clones need two hands :p

How's that for my first ever nitpick? ;)

100 + years and the best Dark Horse can come up with is more Sith and the same weapons designs

Hence, how we know the rumours about the movie are not true :p

And profanity is not allowed ;)

10. DARTH MUPPET

Apr 16, 2001
    You don't know that for certain though.

Just because something has been one way for a long time, that doesn't necessarily mean it will always be that way. I am not saying they will definitely go down the route I suggested, but there's no rule saying they can't. This goes back to what I've been saying for a long time about people needing to let go of their preconceived notions about what the new trilogy "has to be". You gotta be open to the possibility that things might not go down the path you are expecting. If you aren't willing to do that, you're only setting yourself up for disappointment.

11. the_sinister_hologram

Nov 3, 2012
    We don't know anything for certain, except several things: it will be a sequel part of a new trilogy, there will be a Millennium Falcon, X-Wings are redesigned and Luke, Han, Leia and Co. are coming back. Anything beyond that is pure speculation.

The fact that they decided to reuse some of the older characters and ships is an indication that they may not disregard the traditions established by the design of the OT and PT. Beyond the monetary benefits, of course.
    Otherwise, calling it Episode 7 and the Sequel Trilogy bears little significance if all we'll be getting is the old characters coming back for one last adventure, without them actually leaving a legacy behind.

The themes established in the previous trilogies were pretty clear. If they choose to ignore them in the ST... then there is nothing to do about it.
    But the question is why would they do it? What is the possible benefit of not naming a new character Skywalker or Solo, given the popularity of those names and the potential of selling stuff branded under those names? The protagonist may very well be called Bob, but what would be the point of that?

Maybe they won't call Daisy a Skywalker/Solo in Ep7 (which I am actually expecting to happen). But they might keep the big reveal for Ep8 or 9.

They have announced the spin-offs. But why specifically call them spin-offs and not make them part of the new trilogy if they're just going to take on a different approach with Ep7 and the ST?

ChildOfWinds likes this.
  12. DANNASUK

Nov 1, 2012
    Hoggsquattle

More appealing in the sense J.J won't be tied to the past; can create new appealing characters, stories. But all the ST really needs to do is avoid being like NJO or Legacy and everything will be perfect.

13. DANNASUK

Nov 1, 2012
    It's called establishing your own mark; Disney own the Star Wars franchise and, starting with Rebels, will begin to create their own canon. Breaking away from already crafted themes can bring huge success - the Old Republic Era is a prime example. TCW brought huge benefits to the PT; added more depth and created new characters and villains, who've gone on to be successful part of the Star Wars brand.

Remember, Michael Arndt's scripted was binned because it focused on Luke and Han's kids - i.e the Skywalkers and Solos. J.J, LF and Disney didn't want that. Whether you like it or not, the ST might be building an entire new era with heroes, villains, locations completely different to anything we have seen before.

Again, helping to build the new canon.

DARTH_MUPPET likes this.
  14. DARTH MUPPET

Apr 16, 2001
    Um, aren't the spinoffs rumored to be about established characters though?

Just because the new characters might not share any familial relation to the characters from the previous films does not automatically mean they are throwing out the themes we've seen thus far. I'm fairly certain that at least one main character will be a Solo or a Skywalker, but they might not be. The OT characters could return to pass the torch to a new set of completely unrelated characters and it would still count as a continuation of the same story. This is why I keep saying we need to let go of our preconceived notions and just enjoy the ride.

15. the_sinister_hologram

Nov 3, 2012
    That's what I'm expecting to happen - new heroes, new villains, but that doesn't mean that they won't be any connections between them. I'm not expecting to hear the name Ben, Jaina or Jacen or whatever, but that doesn't necessarily mean that there will be no offspring. When they ditched the EU they already gave themselves a huge breathing room in terms of storytelling. It means that they're free to create completely new characters, including new offspring for the previous heroes.

Maybe they won't call Daisy a Skywalker/Solo in Ep7 (which I am actually expecting to happen). But they might keep the big reveal for Ep8 or 9.
    I have speculated this before, but since it's a Daisy thread I'll say it again - what if Daisy was risen by Han and Leia, but in secret (to be revealed in Ep8 or 9) she was Luke's daughter. Making parallels between how Luke was risen by his aunt and uncle and Daisy's character would be interesting to see. And a very good potential dramatic plot - if Luke turns out to be the bad guy (as some (un)reliable rumors said), then the potential for a very dramatic fight between the two at the end of the ST is huge.
    Family and especially conflict between family members can create drama in a movie, more so than anything else.

And that's just me making something up. I'm sure that the creative team can come up with bigger and better plots.
    So my question remains - why would they not do it? What benefits are there to not have at least one young Skywalker/Solo running around in the ST? Because I don't see any benefits in choosing to completely and suddenly end the Skywalker/Solo family line in the ST.

16. DANNASUK

Nov 1, 2012
    When Disney brought Lucas Arts, a video appeared on StarWars.com entitled "Star Wars: The Skywalker Saga" in relation to the PT and OT. Remember, this video was created after the ST was announced. If you watch it, the 5 minutes and 6 seconds pretty much tell you the story of the rise and fall of Anakin, and his redemption via Luke is over. That story has come to an end.

We're entering the beginnings of a New Saga, with new heroes with a destiny unrelated to the Skywalker clan.

Again, read the reasoning behind the rewriting of Michael Arndt's script. Disney do not want the ST dominated by Skywalker or Solo children.

17. TelemachosJr

Jul 12, 2014
    Ardnts script wasnt thrown out completely just retooled ur mixing facts with devins crackpot theories

Dent likes this.
  18. Seeher

Seeher Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jul 8, 2003
    Daisy's and John's friendship could be like Luke's and Bigg's friendship in Star Wars. A cut scene at the beginning showed Biggs coming back to tell Luke he was going to jump ship, so to speak, and join the Rebellion. Perhaps we have the same thing here, just that John return after deserting to his home on Tattooine and met up with his younger friend, Daisy.

19. DARTH MUPPET

Apr 16, 2001
    That's a baseless assumption. Neither you nor any of us know how much of Arndt's script was kept. They could have tossed it out completely or just reworked it... we just don't know.

20. DANNASUK

Nov 1, 2012
    I don't recall mentioning Devin or his 'rumours' at all in this thread.
    I've just approached all rumours with a balance view and understood (unlike a few) the EU post-RoTJ history is dead and J.J won't do a rehash. First thing Disney said was EpVII would be "an original story"

DARTH_MUPPET likes this.
  21. TelemachosJr

Jul 12, 2014
    Pretty sure abrams and kasdan did not write an entirely new script from scratch in 3-4 months

22. soul8luos

soul8luos Jedi Master star 4

Sep 19, 2013

Of course it will be an original story. That's why they tossed all the EU stuff away so they can be original.

23. Satipo

Satipo Force Ghost star 7

Mar 29, 2014
    I'm not saying they did, and it certainly wouldn't be ideal but that is not in the least bit impossible. That said, I suspect several elements of the Arndt draft would be recycled and reworked.

DARTH_MUPPET likes this.
  24. MillionthVoice

MillionthVoice Jedi Master star 3

Jan 28, 2013
    Why do people presume to know what the difference even is between the Ardnt script and the Abrams/Kasdan script? (focus shift from older to newer characters) when absolutely nothing else about the scripts is known at all?
    A 'shift in focus' isn't something you would recognize just from ogling a few pages. Someone in the know would have to leak this and why would they do that? I think this is 100% hearsay.

25. Seeher

Seeher Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jul 8, 2003
    [face_whistling]

New trilogy, new story, why not new characters who have no connection to anyone? Maybe I am just jaded by the now defunct EU, however, outside of Tahiri, none of the NJO Jedi really did anything for me ... except really annoy me. Don't get me started on Darth Duffus or his twin sister. :rolleyes:

We have had heroes in the past who were not the son of ... or the great grand daughter of ... why not here?

DARTH_MUPPET likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.