main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

ST Daisy Ridley (Rey) in Episode VII

Discussion in 'Sequel Trilogy' started by Chained Prometheus, Apr 30, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Ryus

Ryus Jedi Master star 4

Feb 25, 2013
    I knew it! Bob is playing Daisy! 8-}

2. I Are The Internets

I Are The Internets Shelf of Shame Host star 9 VIP - Game Host

Nov 20, 2012
    The different planet should be called Cageapalooza and the inhabitants should all be Nic Cage and Gary Busey.

3. Seeher

Seeher Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jul 8, 2003
    Well [face_dunno] I guess that could be her character's name. She is dark hair, she could be like Luke ... 'like the sun or son' a beam of light and if she is a Solo ... the rest would fill in as well ... maybe ...

It is vague and confusing enough it could be true :D

4. Hoggsquattle

Hoggsquattle Jedi Master star 5

Feb 7, 2009
    OW and K?

G
    Luke and Anakin living on a backwater and being unaware of their nature/potential are supposed to mirror each other for the father/son story to show their similarities and differences until a Jedi arrives to guide them, like the Arthur & Merlin tales.

The "hero's journey" doesn't always start like that and Ridley's character can be aware, since s young age of her potential, like Hercules or Achilles. Her story can be the struggle to carry the weight of the responsibility, or maybe a rebellious to avoid it - depending on which parent she grows up to be like - or rebelling and then accepting if she is like both Han and Leia. There are old tales like this too.

The "mirroring" works for Luke and Anakin. If the movie starts the same way with with another of the main characters having exactly the same start it would be so boring and lazy.

The quality of a photo wouldn't be a good way to judge whether the helmet is fake - it could just as easily be fan made and quality cameras are an everyday item.

Abadacus and TheBBP like this.
  5. Darth_Zidious

Darth_Zidious Force Ghost star 5

Dec 3, 2001
    Here's one article, for example.

Hoggsquattle likes this.
  6. adamclark83

adamclark83 Jedi Master star 3

Feb 1, 2009
    Here's another thought I had today.

In TCW episode Children of the Force, Sidious was taking Force sensitive children to become Sith. What if a Sith agent has taken Daisy as an infant and raised her to be evil, she starts questioning herself and who she really is and runs away to another planet. Agents are sent after her and one of them has a change of heart on first seeing her and he helps her discover who she is. Luke tries to go after her but gets taken captive.

7. Darth Punk

Darth Punk JCC Manager star 7 Staff Member Manager

Nov 25, 2013
    wouldn't she be too young?

TheBBP likes this.
  8. adamclark83

Feb 1, 2009
    Episode VII would take place 20 years after her birth.

Anyway, given what happened with Han and Leia at the end of Episode VI, who's to say they didn't have any children 30 years later??

9. TheBBP

TheBBP Force Ghost star 6

Nov 6, 2012

This is one of the biggest reasons why I do not believe that she is a Solo. Han and Leia would have had to have kids at quite an old age to be having them.

Darth Punk likes this.
  10. adamclark83

Feb 1, 2009
    I too believe she is a Solo.

The casting people could've gone with a blonde or a red-head, an African or Asian but they went with a pretty caucasian brunette who looks like she belongs in Padme's bloodline.

Ryus and Darth_Bertie like this.
  11. Skaddix

Skaddix Jedi Grand Master star 5

Feb 3, 2012

She have to be 40 then. Although they could be held in status. Besides based on rumors that would be more likely to be Boyega since they have got Imperials chasing him down and he starts on the Empire's Side.

12. Zuckuss the Ruckuss

Zuckuss the Ruckuss Jedi Master star 4

Jan 5, 2013

Don't necessarily have to be in their 40s. More like late twenties to mid thirties would be a believable age for the offspring of Han/Leia.

13. TheBBP

Nov 6, 2012
    Which Ms Ridley clearly is not.

14. Zuckuss the Ruckuss

Jan 5, 2013
    Well, here is what I think: I think that Ridely's character is perhaps an offshoot of the "Rachel" character that was used in the call sheets last year. I think when they did rewrites last summer they wrote out one of the teenage females. They could have combined the Han/Leia daughter character with the tough teenage girl character.

Thus creating a different character that wasn't related to Han/Leia but followed the same path as that character.

Just a thought.

15. City Councilman Binks

City Councilman Binks Jedi Master star 4

May 7, 2014
    "The casting people could've gone with a blonde or a red-head, an African or Asian but they went with a pretty caucasian brunette who looks like she belongs in Padme's bloodline"

With that said, she is british and has a british accent.

16. yogacat

yogacat Jedi Knight star 2

Jul 6, 2014
    Aren't Carrie and Harrison's kid in the early and mid-twenties? Carrie's daughter Billie is 21, Harrison's daughter Georgia is 26. Thus making Daisy in her early 20's seems reasonable to me. Star Wars plays fast and loose with ages. Didn't Padme go from being 14 in The Phantom Menace to 24 in Attack of the Clones, while Natalie was only technically 3 years older.

Honestly asking, are Han and Leia supposed to be way older than Carrie and Harrison? If Carrie's daughter is 21, why couldn't Leia's be?

CairnsTony, Revanfan1 and Ryus like this.
  17. TheBBP

Nov 6, 2012

I still think that she is too young to be a Solo.

With all due respect, this is where I will bow out of this part of the conversation. It is nothing personal against you, but I firmly believe that the public screen test character were simply throw-away character to test acting ability and have absolutely nothing to do with any part of Episode 7. There is nothing short of JJ publicly saying otherwise that would get me to believe that as tightly that he has this movie and it's characters and plots wrapped in secrecy, that he even had a sliver of anything to do with the movie, metaphorically or not, in those open and public screen tests.

Because if that I will be no good at continuing this conversation.

If Carrie's daughter is 21, then she had her at the age of 36. If Harrison's daugther is 26, then he was 46 years old. Clearly, this is biologically capable of happening. However, having children at that age is not normal.

18. Zuckuss the Ruckuss

Jan 5, 2013

Its possible I guess. It could have been a total PR stunt. There has been talk about that in the past.

No need to be dramatic about it. We are all just speculating. Nobody really has a clue whats going on with this thing anyways.

19. ChildOfWinds

ChildOfWinds Chosen One star 6

Apr 7, 2001
    Twenties, yes, maybe even 30, but their kids couldn't be older, as this film takes place about 30 years after RotJ. That means Leia is now about 53 in the film, right? So, a 20 year old Daisy could be her kid easily. Leia would have been about 33. That's not old at all.

20. Adi_Gallia_9

Adi_Gallia_9 Jedi Grand Master star 5

Apr 16, 2001
    I disagree with that. A woman having a kid in her 30s is totally normal and a guy in his forties is getting older, but still not crazy and unheard of. And in reality, Daisy Ridley's father was 52 when Daisy was born. (He's 73 now).

Assuming Daisy's character is approximately 20 (based on Daisy's age), she would have been born about 10 years after Return of the Jedi. Leia and Han would have been 33 and 43 respectively when she was born, which are perfectly reasonable ages to have kids. And if by chance they have another, older kid (like Oscar), the ages make even more sense. They had one kid a bit after Endor, waited a few more years, and had kid #2.

Obviously, we don't know Daisy is a Solo and we're all just guessing at this point. And while there are arguments to be made that Daisy isn't a Solo, I don't think age is a particularly compelling one.

21. ChildOfWinds

ChildOfWinds Chosen One star 6

Apr 7, 2001
    Very good points, Adi! I agree with everything in your post, especially the point about women in their thirties having kids being completely normal.these days, more women in their forties are even having kids!

22. TheBBP

Nov 6, 2012
    It's not normal. It happens, but it is not normal. The average age for a woman in the US to have a baby is 25.

23. CrazyOldJedi

CrazyOldJedi Chosen One star 6

Oct 29, 2000
    Really? You should have kept to your word;

As you obviously don't understand 'grown up' relationships.

24. TheBBP

Nov 6, 2012
    Easy there, Quickdraw! Don't be mad bro. The part of the conversation that I dropped out of was discussing "Rachel" and the public casting call. I figured that I was very clear about that.

25. Adi_Gallia_9

Adi_Gallia_9 Jedi Grand Master star 5

Apr 16, 2001
    Eh. The average height of a woman is 5' 4" but I wouldn't call a woman who's 5' 7" an abnormal giant. 25 may be the average, but it's not some weird freakish thing for a woman to have a baby in her 30s (or even 40s) these days. Realistically, it can and does happen all the time, and there's no reason a 33 year old Leia couldn't very believably have a kid.

Again, there are reasons to think Daisy isn't a Solo, of course. But her age isn't one of them.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.