main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

ST Daisy Ridley (Rey) in Episode VII

Discussion in 'Sequel Trilogy' started by Chained Prometheus, Apr 30, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Hoggsquattle

Hoggsquattle Jedi Master star 5

Feb 7, 2009

Yes, but one on one combat with "normals" was the other posters issue - if Jedi could defeat any opponent it would get old real quick. Where is the excitement in a hero who cannot be bested?

The point of Jango being dispatch so quickly was both to show Mace's power (compared to Kenobi) and as a humorous connection to Boba's death in RotJ.

I notice you have overlooked the fact that Jango beat Obi-Wan in their earlier fight. Non-Force users being a match for Jedi is not a TCW "thing".

If Jedi can only be killed by Sith and an overpowering Clone ambush, it becomes a dull affair.

2. DarthMane2

DarthMane2 Force Ghost star 5

Sep 20, 2003
    Execution. Execution. Execution. Intent vs perception.

The purpose may have been to show how good mace was at killing a mandalorian who's jet pack malfunctioned at the last minute. It came off as jango being dispatched in a crappy way.

Same issue with anakin. Poor kid, master doesn't care much for him, part of a corrupt Jedi order who holds him back, trying to get a girl when he's not supposed to, etc. that's the intent.

Perception based off bad execution: anakin was a little $&@/?

StrikerKOJ likes this.
  3. Yanksfan

Yanksfan Force Ghost star 5

Nov 3, 2000

Yeah, but why would she have more scenes with them? One very likely scenario is because she's related to them. Couple that with her physical resemblance, and the pre-shooting rumors of a "Han and Leia daughter", and I'm still left with the impression that she's their kid.

And yeah, I would be very disappointed if that weren't the case. Would it ruin the movie for me? Probably not.

4. DARTH MUPPET

DARTH MUPPET Jedi Grand Master star 3

Apr 16, 2001
    While I'm almost 100% positive "Kira" is either a Solo or a Skywalker, it's always possible that she isn't either one. I'm trying to NOT get my hopes up or invest too much into her being a Solo or a Skywalker. Something tells me, and this is just a hunch, that if she really is just an orphan, Han is still going to feel a strong paternal connection with her... Perhaps she reminds him of himself when he was her age(the daughter he never had kinda thing). So basically, even if she isn't really his daughter, I think their relationship will still have a father/daughter feel to it. In a way, this type of scenario could even possibly have more of an emotional impact than her actually being his daughter... especially if Han doesn't make it out of Episode VII alive(and I'd say it's a pretty safe bet he won't). Think of the angst... "Kira" finally finds a surrogate father figure, only to lose him shortly afterward.

5. Yanksfan

Yanksfan Force Ghost star 5

Nov 3, 2000
    DARTH_MUPPET --wow, yeah. That is a completely plausible scenario. I could see that. I'd still prefer her to actually *be* his daughter, but I could see how that dynamic would work really well too. Especially the "orphan angle" making Han feel a connection. Whatever his background may be right now, I think we're all pretty sure it wasn't very pleasant.

Seeher, Revanfan1 and DARTH_MUPPET like this.
  6. Hoggsquattle

Feb 7, 2009
    We are discussing the combat skills of non-Force users against Jedi. There is no room for a rant.

7. Knessa84

Knessa84 Manager Emeritus star 4 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 21, 2014
    My problem with the scenario of Daisy being Han's "surrogate" daughter is that they'll have a few scenes together then he dies and then it's so moving because they bonded over what may be a short period of time in one film? Now I realize that Obi Wan's death had a profound effect on Luke when he barely knew him, but Luke had the immediate connection to him because Obi Wan knew his father. And there was the storyline that Obi Wan continued to help/train him throughout the trilogy. If Han dies, it's gonna be big and it's going to have a profound effect. And it's the end. No "force ghost Han." Maybe Daisy isn't his daughter but I have to believe he has at least one kid that he is out to protect. It has to be that kind of sacrifice, IMO. And it could be for Leia or Chewie, quite frankly. But especially if Han goes out that quick, he needs a legacy. Someone to pick up his mantle. With Luke (and to some extent, Leia), there's the force if not the Skywalker name.

I know some people say that they rather see new characters not related to the big 3. I would rather see some legacy characters with new stories rather than the rehashing of old. Daisy's set up seems too similar to Anakin, Luke, etc... I can appreciate parallels but I wish there was a little more creativity. BUT we are only going on rumors, speculation and trying to construct a story out of a few images, so I am probably making too many presumptions.

Hoggsquattle likes this.
  8. Skaddix

Skaddix Jedi Grand Master star 5

Feb 3, 2012
    I think u need a balance personally not all legacy but some legacies and some new blood mixed in. So if Daisy and John are leading the line as our main heroes then one of them most likely Daisy needs to be a legacy in my book and the other probably John new blod

9. Knessa84

Knessa84 Manager Emeritus star 4 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 21, 2014
    I totally agree. There obviously need to be new characters, meaning not even related to the original three. In fact, the majority.

forzaskywalker likes this.
  10. soul8luos

soul8luos Jedi Master star 4

Sep 19, 2013
    Of course there will be a mix of new and legacy characters. Can't have romance if they are all solo/skywalkers.

11. plaidphoenix

plaidphoenix Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 6, 2013
    Why not? Worked fine for Luke and Leia until Han had to go and much things up. :p

starocean90 likes this.
  12. CrazyOldJedi

CrazyOldJedi Chosen One star 6

Oct 29, 2000

That seems the most likely scenario to me.

13. Hoggsquattle

Feb 7, 2009
    Yes, if Daisy is the central new hero, I'd imagine that the rumoured Han Solo death will have to impact heavily on her.

Although it is possible that Daisy's character is meant to comfort Leia and Luke in their grief, but not be related.

Also, in regards to to Daisy "living" in the AT-AT wreckage - what evidence is there that anyone lives in it or that it is Daisy's character?

Andersen and Clarke are supposedly the street kids, if the open casting call is to be believed, so unless Daisy is their leader of some kind, I'd imagine they 'd live in such a place.

Maybe it is just a location that a character visits and not a home?

Also, if none of the Big 3 have children, that will be kind of odd, unless Han and Leia broke up, which would be disappointing.

Ridley Solo, Knessa84 and Yanksfan like this.
  14. jedijax

jedijax Force Ghost star 6

May 2, 2013
    I think that "Kira" is to John Harrison as Jaina Solo is to Khan in terms of code names.

"Kira" knows exactly who she is. Han and Leia know exactly who she is. They know she's living separately and she knows she's their daughter. I can imagine a scene like this:

"Kira" is captured by what seems to be imperial troops and brought to a star destroyer, captained by Han.

The guards find an ID stating her name is Kira. Han asks them to leave.

Kira: So, you've got me. Are you happy?
    Han: What were you doing? Why were you flying around with this....stormtrooper.
    Kira: What's it to you?
    Han (looking at her ID): Kira? Kira's your name now?
    Kira: Yeah, so?
    Han: You took the name of Chewie's daughter?
    Kira: I'm fond of that wookiee.
    Han: Well, at least you did a good job of hiding who you are, Jaina.

Don't take the above too seriously. I just threw it together spontaneously.

On that note, it would certainly be ironic if Leia's daughter went looking for Luke to help him just as Luke went out to help Leia in ANH.

15. Hoggsquattle

Feb 7, 2009
    I'm hoping the "Alliance" uses new ships and not Star Destroyers and that their troopers don't wear armour.

Apart from the in-universe symbolism, design wise it is uncreative.

I'm hoping the actual Star Destroyers of the "Empire" look a little different too.

16. Royale w/ Codeine

Royale w/ Codeine Jedi Master star 4

May 19, 2014
    "Skin on skin... let the love begin!"

17. Baron_Papanerd

Baron_Papanerd Jedi Master star 4

May 1, 2014

True, but that would be unnecessarily complicated. Why not have him be her real Father instead? :confused:

Knessa84 , Yanksfan and starocean90 like this.
  18. soul8luos

Sep 19, 2013
  19. jedijax

jedijax Force Ghost star 6

May 2, 2013
    I'm almost willing to put money on the fact that there will be one or more of Jaina Solo, Jacen Solo, and/or Ben Skywalker. If I had to choose one, it will be Jaina Solo.

It's very typical for movies to take characters from stories, comics, etc and just change their origins.

To me, the big question is: if "Kira" ends up being Jaina Solo but it is supposed to be a surprise (even though it's bound to be leaked prior) would they release an action figure that says Kira only to re-release the same action figure with the real name later?

20. Myself656

Myself656 Jedi Master star 3

Feb 5, 2008
    I'm pretty sure they've done it in the past. That said, I'm not sure they'd bother... the only people who would recognize the name as something related to the EU would be people who had read post-Endor Legends material and the only people likely to look at the names on the action figures are either parents or the utterly diehard fans. So its basically just the small intersection of EU lit readers who are parents of children in the target age range and the diehard fans looking for spoilers.

Just how worth it is it to Disney to not let a plot twist that will probably be resolved by the end of Act I and has little to no bearing on the plot twists of Act II and III to do multiple runs of the same character with different cards? Then again, there was a HUGE collector's market for the toys with the "Revenge of the Jedi" packaging so Disney might lean in that direction by making the figure with the cover name a single run edition that will appeal to collectors after the announcement of the repackaging with the real name for subsequent runs (letting them jack up the prices of the remaining first run stock).

I will also say that I've always thought there was a better than even chance they'd go with the name Jaina for any potential daughter of Han and Leia as a nod to the EU. In that regard "Kira" is a pretty good cover name because the phonetics are close enough that they could re-dub 'Kira' as 'Jaina' pretty easily for anything that wasn't a close up (which would probably be filmed separately under much more controlled conditions anyway). They'd pretty much have to re-dub all of the large crowd and outdoor scenes (i.e. the places where names would be most likely to leak) anyway simply due to the ambient noise in those environments.

Not saying it IS going to be Jaina, but I certainly wouldn't rule it out either.

Honestly? Leaving aside the woefully flawed execution, the whole Yin-Yang brother/sister dynamic of Jacen and Jaina is one of the better concepts to have come out of the EU (symbolizing the opposing legacies of Anakin and Vader while simultaneously embodying the legacies of Luke as founder of the Jedi Order and Han and Leia as parents in one protagonist and one villain with not a single other legacy character needed) and one I think would actually deserve another chance at being re-imagined without the detritus of the EU and certain authorial agendas clogging it up.

Abadacus likes this.
  21. CrazyOldJedi

Oct 29, 2000
    "She gazes outward towards the end of the canyon where her hopes and dreams may one day be realized..."

So what is she waiting for? It's not as though she is a slave or has to wait for one more harvest. She is certainly old enough, can look after herself, has some skills and there is no shortage of fixable, space going vehicles laying around.

What is keeping her there, eking out a living as a scrap merchant, when she could head to more profitable ventures elsewhere?

22. Leoluca Randisi

Leoluca Randisi Jedi Grand Master star 6

Jun 24, 2014
    @soul8luos Was Daisy Ridley actually part of the open casting call? she had prior acting Experience before so I always assumed she was not part of the open casting call?? Now, I believe Pip Anderson and Crystal Clarke were part of the open Casting Call but like I said I don't think Ridley was a part of that process if some one can correct me if I am wrong feel free I really don't know for sure??....

DARTH_MUPPET likes this.
  23. CrazyOldJedi

Oct 29, 2000
    IMHO, the open casting calls were just a publicity stunt. Let us face it, it's too easy for a casting director and his/her team to sit down, scan the talent agent's internet pages for the right looking actor/actress, view their demo reels and then take it from there. The Kira character was established ages ago, it's no mystery as to why Daisy got picked for the part.

DARTH_MUPPET likes this.
  24. soul8luos

Sep 19, 2013

She didn't need to go through the open casting process if she had an agent. I read online that talent agencies also received the same casting calls at around the same time. So, Disney was also casting the roles through traditional ways.

25. Leoluca Randisi

Leoluca Randisi Jedi Grand Master star 6

Jun 24, 2014
    soul8luos thank you, that is what I was talking about :)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.