main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

ST Daisy Ridley (Rey) in Episode IX

Discussion in 'Sequel Trilogy' started by sheri1967, Dec 12, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. The Regular Mustache

The Regular Mustache Force Ghost star 6

Dec 22, 2015
    Ben told Rey that when they touched he saw Rey joining him. Was that just one of Snoke's mind games or was it foreshadow to Rey and Ben fighting Snoke and his guards?

2. The Regular Mustache

Dec 22, 2015
    For the same reason that the Force knocked up Shmi. The Force works in mysterious ways.

rorow1 likes this.
  3. TimeZone

TimeZone Jedi Knight star 1

Oct 29, 2015
    Broom boy, at the end, shows us that the Force is evolving. Without training, he's already moving objects with his mind.

Rey was just the First of many of these new Force users. That explains why she's so strong.

Now, she'll have to teach the new generation.[/quote]

That's a stupid way to go about things, I can't appreciate that after watching the OT. Star Wars is taking a new direction here, and I honestly can't stand it.

4. Jedi Jessy

Jedi Jessy Force Ghost star 5

Feb 28, 2016
    Denny‏ @DeniseeeMarieee 2h2 hours ago
    The cave scene is super weird and jarring but thinking about it in contrast to the ESB cave scene makes it so incredible. Luke seeing himself in his father, Rey seeing only herself when she wants to see her parents. It’s a lot.

5. KembaSkywalker

KembaSkywalker Jedi Knight star 3

Jun 16, 2016
    Yeah... not sure where people are getting the whole "she was even able to swim!" thing from. She was pulled into the water and was pretty clearly struggling to get to the surface.

Anyways, the cave scene was interesting to me. It, obviously, called back to her first lesson with Luke - "It offered you something you needed." That something that she needed, I gathered, was learning how to accept her past, accept that her parents left her behind, and move forward in life. She doesn't do this. She feels the cave calling to her - feels the dark side promising that it will give her answers the deeper she goes into it. Luke knows this won't be the case, and that the dark side is simply trying to seduce her with answers that she thinks she will find, only to be left empty at the end. That's what I take from the cave scene. Each version in that line of herself is her going deeper and deeper into the dark side, following its path to try and find the answers that she craves. At the end of the path, what is she left with? Nothing. She doesn't get any answers. And she's left feeling empty and alone, as she explains to Ben.

I feel that the cave scene also parallels both Kylo and Rey's visions of each other. They're both shown a glimpse of each other's futures - and they want to find answers in those futures. They think those visions end up serving each of their own agendas and will end up bringing them together, when really, they end up splitting apart even further. I'm hesitant to draw a complete parallel to Rey's cave scene and call their visions 'offerings from the dark side,' but I do think they served a similar purpose in that they are both so sure of what they think is about to happen, but in reality their visions only served their own perspectives and not each others.

Kerlosh and Kara Starbuck like this.
  6. Darkspellmaster

Darkspellmaster Jedi Master star 4

Dec 20, 2015
    See I don't think that the Mirror was going to have the answers in the first place. Luke's family wasn't confirmed until Obi Wan confirmed it with Yoda. So Rey hasn't had that moment. I honestly don't think that mirror was telling the truth in any way. I don't think she was left with nothing as she clearly, when Ben is telling her his version of her history, she pulls the Saber away from him. Like she doesn't buy what he's selling.

My guess, is that she's going to be working on reading the Jedi Journals, probably with Finn and possibly having her lessons from Luke in some form or another. She's going to end up learning about who her parents really were, and uses the idea of Family to pull ben back from the darkside.

RKR and Dory Vader like this.
  7. Jacques who

Jacques who Jedi Knight star 3

Apr 18, 2017
    She saw him refusing to kneel to Snoke so I think they were both misinterpreting what happened moments later in the throne room.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

8. IrisBest

IrisBest Jedi Master star 4

Nov 1, 2015
    Yeah it's easy to miss but I caught on rewatch that Kylo specifies he only saw Rey's parents. He never had a vision of Rey his side, it was rather a (pretty twisted) assumption that Kylo had. It was "I saw something too. Because of what I saw I know when the moment comes you'll be the one to turn. You'll stand with me. Rey, I saw who you're parents are."

9. ladygrey45

ladygrey45 Jedi Master star 4

Dec 30, 2015
    I think they both saw the future in one way or another i don't think Rey is done with the dark side I feel like it will still call to her and shell use it to bring Kylo down.

10. The Regular Mustache

Dec 22, 2015
    Ah good catch!

11. BalanceOfTheForce

BalanceOfTheForce Jedi Master star 4

Dec 18, 2016
    Rey's new Jedi Order needs to be different from Luke's. It seems like Luke tried to copy the prequel era Jedi, which is why they failed. It would be a slap in the face if she succeeded by doing the same thing Luke tried to do

Kerlosh, Jedi Jessy and cerealbox like this.
  12. cerealbox

cerealbox Force Ghost star 6

May 5, 2016
    Agreed. But how with you make it different from the prequel Order and Luke's academy?

DARTHSHAME likes this.
  13. DARTHSHAME

DARTHSHAME Jedi Master star 4

Dec 19, 2003

Totally agree. What philosophy will Rey bring to the Jedi that was missing before? I admit I do not know and neither do the writers of these films.

They continue to emphasize the flaws of the old Jedi and how the old ways need to end, but there does not seem to be any central principles that they are advocating to build a new Jedi order upon.

Darth Master Titus and RKR like this.
  14. Darkspellmaster

Dec 20, 2015
    Um, maybe have it more like the new jedi have to learn on their own and it's more knights of the round?

15. cerealbox

May 5, 2016
    Hopefully, no hazing is involved.

16. Darkspellmaster

Dec 20, 2015
    So apparently, according to collider, there is additional cut scenes with Rey and Luke where he actually does train her so the rock movement makes sense.

17. Darth Smurf

Darth Smurf Small, but Lethal star 6

Dec 22, 2015
    Then they shall realease a directors cut. Also the DJ entering the Supremancy has been filled. Would at least be a plot hole less

18. Jedi Jessy

Feb 28, 2016
  19. Kez-Iban

Kez-Iban Jedi Master star 2

Sep 4, 2012
    Maybe one change would be to just train adults rather than children. The Art of The Last Jedi shows that Luke's students were children, but so far the training of young adults like Luke and Rey, who had already shown a strong commitment to good before they even began training seems to have worked out better.

Kara Starbuck likes this.
  20. Darkspellmaster

Dec 20, 2015
    Seems J.J. has his own set of answers, but that article never said that he isn't going to go on with his set. Just that he and Johnson coordinated, and that Daisy knows the truth, like Mark did.

Throw in there that, according to the VD of the Last Jedi, you do have an explination of what the mirror is, or at least what Rey is seeing. It's a visualization of her fears and insecurities about her parents show up. That image wasn't the truth. What she saw, really wasn't her parents at all but what the Dark side chose to manifest before her, which was her fear that she was alone in the world and was no one, that no one loved her. So her fears were realized because of her own insecurities. Much like the whole Luke sees himself as Vader, Rey sees herself as being alone for ever. So on the one hand Rian did answer the question of "Who are her parents?" the answer is, well nobody because we never see them. Ben pushes the notion of who they are on her, and the thing is we visually can't confirm it, and really can we trust what he says?

I think that Rey's order may have more to do with the idea of growth as a person. More independent lessons rather then just one on one, or a master and a student sort of thing. Like everyone helping out one another as a family unit. More like a Ninja then a samurai set up.

RKR likes this.
  21. BalanceOfTheForce

Dec 18, 2016
    2 reasons. One because it's because everyone complained about midichlorians. Two they are going to make so many films and they don't want to keep on reusing the Jedi master and teaching his student story

That's a stupid way to go about things, I can't appreciate that after watching the OT. Star Wars is taking a new direction here, and I honestly can't stand it.[/quote]

22. BalanceOfTheForce

Dec 18, 2016
    I think Rey could be a clone of Luke similar to X-23 and Wolverine who was cloned from Luke's hand
    3 reasons:
    1. Lightsaber called out to her because it was last used by the hand she was cloned from. There is a reason the vision started with cloud city and not the Clone Wars
    2. Sith cave. There are so many of Rey because she's a clone
    3. TFA originally opened with Luke's hand floating in space holding the blue lightsaber

23. The Regular Mustache

Dec 22, 2015
    There will be a time jump and when we see Rey again she'll have given birth to a whole mess of kids. The following are her kids names:

1) Luke
    2) Leia
    3) Han
    4) Sky
    5) Walker
    6) Spark
    7) Junker
    8) Rando Calrissian
    9) Admiral Ackbar
    10) Palpatine
    11) Clone
    12) Broom

24. Jedi Jessy

Feb 28, 2016

I think she will study jedi books and Rey will talk with some ghosts about her Jedi Order. Luke's last talk to Kylo made me think she already is a jedi (Rey rejected to go to the dark side with Kylo and she choses to fight with the heroes)

25. cerealbox

May 5, 2016
    *palm to face*

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.