main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

ST Daisy Ridley (Rey) in Episode IX

Discussion in 'Sequel Trilogy' started by sheri1967, Dec 12, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Birkendoc

Birkendoc Chosen One star 4

Sep 20, 2001
    Wherein every thread becomes the Let's Retcon Rey's Parentage thread.

My brain hurts.

2. cut-of-space

cut-of-space Jedi Knight star 1

Nov 29, 2017
    I'm calling it now, in 32 years from now we will see Rey again played by Daisy Ridley. The year will be 2049. Rey will be a broken woman living alone on a island and drinking green tiddy milk. Then a new apprentice will turn up and she'll tell them, "It's time for the jedi to end." Rinse. Repeat. The franchise is never going to allow us to have peace or happiness for our heroes. We must accept our suffering. That's the message I'm getting here, nothing matters my friends. [face_skull]

3. TimeZone

TimeZone Jedi Knight star 1

Oct 29, 2015
    [/quote]

I mean, I don't think they need to put a ton of emphasis on the training, but it's a tad lazy to just have random people turn into Master Jedi's, just because. This is turning into more of a marvel movie about superheros than the Star Wars I remember.

4. Darkspellmaster

Darkspellmaster Jedi Master star 4

Dec 20, 2015
    Yeah too much focus on the "love" story there and not enough on Rey actually learning.

Blastaar likes this.
  5. Rickleo123

Rickleo123 Jedi Knight star 3

May 20, 2016

Not a chance, according to Disney Rey can't fail or do anything wrong so I don't see that happening.

Darth Master Titus likes this.
  6. Kara Starbuck

Kara Starbuck Jedi Padawan

Jan 27, 2016
    It's not possible to clone a female from a male or vice versa. You'd have to swap in an X chromosome for an Y chromosome and then it's not a 100% clone anymore since you'd be adding DNA from a third person.

7. The Regular Mustache

The Regular Mustache Force Ghost star 6

Dec 22, 2015
    I wonder if Rey will exhibit new Force powers in Ep. 9? RJ recently mentioned that new Force powers have been introduced in the previous movies to service the plot. Seems like we might see that in Ep. 9.

In TLJ we saw Rey and Ben's minds bridged. I wonder if Rey will take that to the next level? Perhaps we'll see her connect to all Force sensitive people throughout the galaxy? Seems like it would be a convenient way to recruit people for the Resistance. The Resistance is outnumbered and out gunned so Rey uses the Force to basically order all the Force sensitive people in the galaxy to rise up.

8. Darth Smurf

Darth Smurf Small, but Lethal star 6

Dec 22, 2015
    I vote for vacuum space walks

cut-of-space likes this.
  9. wobbits

wobbits Force Ghost star 4

Apr 12, 2017
    The cave scene doesn't demonstrate expert swimming skills on her part. She is roughly pulled down into the water by the dark side of the force and then she struggles to rise to the top and break the surface.

As far as the fight scene with the Praetorian guards (and in some of her moves against Kylo) I thought it reasonable that she has some hand to hand combat skills seeing as how she can wield that staff like a pro. She grew up fending for, and defending herself on Jakku against other scavengers who more than likely have attempted to steal from her a time or two. She impressed Finn the first time he saw her hold her own against the guys who tried to steal BB8. Hand to hand combat has nothing to do with the Force so that skill doesn't make me view her as being "so proficient in the Force with little to no training."

10. 11-4D

11-4D Force Ghost star 5

Apr 6, 2015
    Rey is gonna be a Force God in IX if she continues to expand her powers like she did in TLJ. Can’t believe Rian didn’t take the opportunity to have Rey actually training to explain her skills. Those lessons were nothing. Ugh. Should have even been a time skip in there.

Darth Master Titus and Blastaar like this.
  11. The Regular Mustache

The Regular Mustache Force Ghost star 6

Dec 22, 2015
    I'm guessing that Rey will find strength in accepting who her parents were. Ben tried to use it as a weakness but she'll probably use to her advantage. A girl from nobody losers standing up Star Wars royalty Ben Solo.

Ben believes that he needs to erase his connections to the past to move forward. Rey will probably embrace where she come from.

12. Miotas

Miotas Jedi Knight star 1

Apr 25, 2010
    TLJ has happened, some are happy with what happened to her character, some are not. Either way I don’t think we should turn this thread into a “I like Rey/I don’t like Rey” thread and focus on discussing her in terms of the next film. All we can do is look to the future and discuss what we hope can happen.

With that said, I’m hoping we see her studying the Jedi texts in the next film and creating her own lightsaber. I don’t know how I would feel about them just cutting to her already having students. Does she have a natural instinct for the force, yes, but being able to teach it is another thing. I would really like to see her work on that and talk to possibly a force ghost about her plans.

rorow1 and Yora like this.
  13. MagnarTheGreat

MagnarTheGreat Force Ghost star 5

Jul 21, 2016
    I'm in favor of not having Rey as the latest in a line of alcoholics who sold her for booze be the last word on her background. TESB wasn't the last word on Luke and Leia's background.

14. Miotas

Apr 25, 2010
    A lot of people are still convinced we haven’t gotten the whole story so we very well might be getting more. I have seen a few theories

1. She is a decendent of the first Jedi
    2. Kylo Ren lied and/or Snoke twisted what they saw and it’s not the truth
    3. Her parents were nobodies, but another ancestor of hers was a Jedi (think this is still playing on Obi-Wan being her grandfather, but I’m almost sure this is not going to happen)

I personally rather she stay random and like the idea of someone who came from nothing rising up, but yeah those are some theories for thought.

15. skybender

skybender Jedi Knight star 2

Apr 28, 2017
    I want some more depth to her character. She's supposedly the main one, but spent most of TFA reacting and most of TLJ taking a backseat in Kylo's arc. Sadly, I think the middle section is where the depth should have been added, which didn't really happen all that much, to pick up for the end. As TLJ was strange in that department (I think the cast size was a little big), we need to go back and add some more.

16. Miotas

Apr 25, 2010
    Agree 100 percent. I want to see her developed more. That was one of the grips I had with TLJ I really wanted more scenes with her instead of the other characters (no offense to the people who liked the other branching story Lines). I do like how they showed her pain in trying to move on from her past and her not finding any answers in the dark side, but I definitely want more.

I agree it should have happened in this movie, but I do think that JJ is going to shift the focus back to Rey. Daisy’s excitement to have him back makes me feel this way. Crossing my fingers for it.

I’m trying to think of ways JJ can bring the focus back to her and what situations he can create to further her personal development and not necessarily just her training New students especially since I think we might get a time jump.

17. Blastaar

Blastaar Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 25, 2015
    you forgot the part where her twins will have destroyed half the star systems in the galaxy they will have killed finn and kylo, but rey is still too sad to do anything. then her would be apprentice starts having force skype sessions with the twins, one of which answers while wearing nothing but a bath towel. (this is to increase sexual/romantic tension.) (well, one is wearing the bath towel, the other is just completely naked.) Rose will get thrown into a supernova before using the force to reconstitute herself. They'll be taking SW in a new direction. In the end, rey uses a new ability, pulled from the writer's anus, called force kage bushin. By creating a dozen force copies of herself, she battles her twins and the ninth kingdom. She does this to allow the revolutionaries to escape. After her twins reach cartoon levels of crazy, rey's clones disappear. Rey, while sitting on a tree stump looks up and sees a star ship flying off in the distance. This is a sign that there still is hope. Rey then dies because...um....because she....used up all her force powers...which killed her. yeah. She dies. Although rey is dead, the revolutionaries, all 3 that are left, feel hopeful that they've got a chance to defeat the ninth kingdom.

18. Blastaar

Dec 25, 2015

no. if you cannot swim and fall into a deep pool from that height, you are gonna drown. She was too deep and two far from the edge. Its just a silly oversight on the part of the writer.

19. cut-of-space

cut-of-space Jedi Knight star 1

Nov 29, 2017

I think you nailed it better than I ever could [face_laugh]

Darth Master Titus likes this.
  20. FarEasterling

FarEasterling Jedi Master star 1

Aug 18, 2011
    https://www.rollingstone.com/movies/features/daisy-ridley-the-last-jedi-interview-w513980
    So was that a yes?No, no, no. I am really, really excited to do the third thing and round it out because ultimately, what I was signing on to was three films. So in my head it's three films. I don't know what the story of IX is, but just right now I think it will feel like the right time to round it out.
    How about in 30 years?Who knows? I honestly feel like the world may end in the next 30 years, so if in 30 years we are not living underground in a series of interconnected cells ... then sure. Maybe. But again, it's like who knows. Because the thing I thought was so amazing, people really wanted it. And it was done by people who really love it.

Daisy's survival instinct strongly recommends her to evade the SW spotlight after Episode IX for the next thirty years. Then may be she'll return.
    Looks like Rey is set for random no matter what.

Darkspellmaster likes this.
  21. Ren Kylo

Ren Kylo Jedi Knight star 2

Dec 23, 2015

my god...it's so bold! so refreshing! our heroes...they're so...flawed! incredible! ...sigh. it's gonna happen isn't it?

but talking seriously about rey, what's her biggest challenge going to be in 9? forming the jedi order? i guess that's the only way forward for her. i have to admit that i hate that this seems to be her end goal now bc i wanted that for luke. i'm petty :p

22. RKR

RKR Jedi Knight star 1

Jul 22, 2013
    Probably because it's not an adequate justification.[face_thinking]

23. RKR

RKR Jedi Knight star 1

Jul 22, 2013
    [​IMG]

24. zam wesell2005

zam wesell2005 Jedi Knight star 3

Oct 23, 2015
    This is good question. Considering her control over the force already, what exactly is she having to overcome in ix?

Darth Master Titus and Ren Kylo like this.
  25. Blastaar

Dec 25, 2015
    I think rey should have a tony stark moment where she struggles with alcoholism. Her and finn can have a mid movie fight before making up and finding strength within each other. When her ex boyfriend tells her she's just like her parents, he can no longer hurt her as she's moved past the weaknesses of her drunken parents and found a new boyfriend.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.