main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

ST Daisy Ridley (Rey) in Episode IX

Discussion in 'Sequel Trilogy' started by sheri1967, Dec 12, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. cerealbox

cerealbox Force Ghost star 6

May 5, 2016
    @anakinfansince1983 @Jedi Jessy
    Yeah. It's pretty obvious that KK and JJ aren't going to let that scenario happen.

They've been building up the showdown between Rey and Kylo these past few films.

With Rey getting boons from Han, Leia and Luke. The three people Kylo rejected.

With Finn not meeting Luke in TLJ, there is not a realistic scenario that LucasFilm will use where it's not just a Rey vs Kylo showdown.

It's just not set up that way.

Last edited: Mar 13, 2018
  2. Classified8

Classified8 Jedi Master star 4

Jun 8, 2016
    The something female characters should always be is human, with all that it encompasses, including flaws and weaknesses, including the good, the bad, and the ugly. Saying female characters have to meet certain personality criteria in order to be considered worthy is in my opinion just a new form of misogyny that's no more appealing than the old form of misogyny.

This conversation is leaving a bad taste in my mouth. I'm going to bow out.

3. anakinfansince1983

anakinfansince1983 Skywalker Saga/LFL/YJCC Manager star 10 Staff Member Manager

Mar 4, 2011
    Stating that writers should move away from misogynistic depictions is not a “new form of misogyny” any more than stating that there should be no more movies portraying people of color as deserving of menial jobs and happily subservient to white people is a “new form of racism.”

Women and nonwhite characters have not been depicted the same way that white male characters have been depicted in the past, and there is some rectifying that needs to be done.

This conversation belongs better in the Diversity in the Sequel Trilogy thread.

On Rey in Episode IX, it’s not too much to ask, at all, that she not be portrayed any further as a terrible traditional female character trope.

wobbits likes this.
  4. cerealbox

May 5, 2016
    At this point, you and Kathleen Kennedy, may have difference of opinion on what a "terrible traditional female character trope" is.

Obi1fan likes this.
  5. anakinfansince1983

Mar 4, 2011
    Or she’s just OK with those tropes. The one you cited in your signature is a big one that needs to be avoided but...apparently not?

If she and I have a difference of opinion, then we have a difference of opinion, but the tropes are there and can be found in numerous old movies and stories.

wobbits likes this.
  6. oncafar

oncafar Force Ghost star 6

Jan 10, 2017
    No one has as far as I've noticed been able to make a good argument about how Rey is a "misogynistic depiction" aside from arguments about her agency. But the same people apparently don't care about Rey's agency anyway if Finn is in her spot in the story. I just see that many people here hated Rey after TLJ and it's not okay for her character to be as it is. The same people who claimed to be for Rey have then bashed her character once she didn't do what they wanted.

And I am fine swapping out every character in the ST for non-whites. That's not a sarcastic statement about racism. That's a statement that I am not interested in switching the characters (in terms of how they fit into the story) just because of their race. I would rather white people be rare in most movies because it's not like they haven't been the majority in the U.S. for years and years anyway.

Or you could make all the white characters in movies in the roles that are found most bad or insulting. But please design the characters this way from the beginning rather than changing their roles midstream out with the hero over the race of the actors playing them.

hermiona52, Birkendoc and Akane like this.
  7. RiddleMeThis

RiddleMeThis Jedi Master star 4

Dec 7, 2017
    Luke didn't deal with any of those things until he was 19 and ready to leave home after being raised by loving relatives. Rey's personal tragedy happened before she was able to deal with it, as a very young girl, and she grew up alone. Also you're comparing Luke's entire life experiences across two trilogies when she's currently only 19 and we don't know what lies ahead for her. It is not a good comparison.

8. cerealbox

May 5, 2016
    I'm just saying that she's in charge.

So whatever she greenlights in Episode IX will happen.

9. anakinfansince1983

Mar 4, 2011
    Um, yeah, I’m aware of that. But many of us are discussing what we hope will happen.

@oncafar : Many of us have talked about the “good girl saves bad boy” trope and it being misogynistic.

The comments about “hating Rey when she didn’t do what they wanted” don’t leave much allowance for being disappointed in a character. I’m pretty sure this has been said before: if Rey were a real person, what she does would be none of my or anyone else’s business. But as she is a fictional character in a movie that we’re paying to watch, in a saga that some of us have been fans of for decades, we are allowed to have an opinion on her behavior, even a negative opinion—there is no obligation to approve just because she’s the main character in a Star Wars film.

I definitely don’t hate Rey. I hope I find her behavior more admirable in IX, as much as I did in TFA.

10. 11-4D

11-4D Force Ghost star 5

Apr 6, 2015
    Then why did they spend the whole next movie fueling the mystery of her parents? Lol.

wobbits likes this.
  11. oncafar

Jan 10, 2017
    If good girl saves bad boy trope is not allowed in any form, female characters are restricted. Rather than being for different roles for female characters, people instead criticize whatever roles they do have. Male characters have no such restrictions. So once again, women have to only be certain things. And male characters are unlimited.

This is why it's the new misogyny. Rather than focus on increasing diversity of types of characters for women, the focus is on restricting them to a set of approved types

12. anakinfansince1983

Mar 4, 2011
    That type of comment reminds me of the oft-repeated comments that feminism is “anti-men,” (or groups like the NAACP is “reverse racist”), which are not only blatantly wrong but also display a grotesque lack of understanding of the historical and systemic treatment of women and nonwhites, both in fiction and real life. It operates from the pretense that all groups were always treated equally.

Again, probably a better discussion for the Diversity thread.

13. Birkendoc

Birkendoc Chosen One star 4

Sep 20, 2001
    I’m sorry, but fantasizing that Finn (or any other male good guy) pops out of nowhere to save the day and steal Rey’s thunder isn’t advocating for the strong female hero to carry the story. That strikes me as coded misogyny that Rey’s accomplishments of heroism must be clarified by the male lens of never greater heroism. It is akin to giving her a big ol’ second place ribbon while still asserting the end point coins not occur until the masculine manly many steps in and makes sure victory is possible.

If you want to cut a female hero off at the knees, you create an ending just like that.

14. anakinfansince1983

Mar 4, 2011
    I could agree with you, but that’s not how I saw Adept’s story at all, especially given that, as I said, Rey defeats Kylo but cutting off his Force essence. No other character could do that, including Finn.

I could envision an alternative scenario in which Rey fights Kylo alone, cutting off his Force essence and defeating him without being knocked unconscious, and Finn and his squadron defeat the Knights of Ren. Equally appealing to me.

15. GregMcP

GregMcP Force Ghost star 5

Jul 7, 2015
    Is showing empathy a weakness in a woman?
    She actually looked at Kylo and his circumstances, and eventually figured out who he was. She came to the right conclusion.

Kylo isn't a simple cartoon baddie. He isn't simply Good or Bad. And Rey's circumstances aren't simple either. So Rian explored this little dance of emotions between them, and I quite liked it.

16. oncafar

Jan 10, 2017
    except I didn't say feminism is anti-men. What I am anti is control over females and their representations in a restrictive form. But please continue to try to villianize everything I say by associating it with things I didn't say and views I would not agree with.

17. ofrecoilandgrace

ofrecoilandgrace Jedi Knight star 1

Dec 18, 2015
    Always gotta laugh whenever Finn is brought up in conjunction with Rey it's all of a sudden "but Rey's important, it's her story!!' when I constantly read that no it's not Rey's story, it's hers and Kylo's cuz he's the one from the skywalker line and balance of the force, two halves and it's totally fine that Rey's endgame is that she helps Kylo be redeemed or whatever other fantasy scenario, that's not her being a prop or anything. Oh and don't say anything about sexist tropes that have existed in media forever and how it shouldn't be in star wars cuz that's like totally sexist to say it shouldn't be in it. :rolleyes: Yes, women don't have to be just hard and tough or weak and demure, but please don't try to pass off female hero falls in love with male villain as some revolutionary concept and it's wrong to say it's a problem.

Right now, my expectations are super low and the only thing that I'm focused on is if Rey will get a new lightsaber. Anything else just gives me a headache.

Mostly Handless and dragonchic like this.
  18. cerealbox

May 5, 2016
    I'm tempted to say, in any other action franchise, yes it is.

But in Star Wars we have Luke, a male, who showed it to Vader in ROTJ.

So there is precedent for Rey to do it, so it doesn't matter if she's male or female.

Mostly Handless and Obi1fan like this.
  19. anakinfansince1983

Mar 4, 2011
    @oncafar : And I didn’t say that you said that, I said what the commentary about “restricting” women (by asking that they not be portrayed as terrible traditional stereotypes any longer) reminds me of.

You’re a feminist as well? Cool.

What I am reading from a lot of this conversation (overall, not specifically your comments) is not “Rey will not be put in a traditional good girl saves bad boy trope” but “she certainly will, and you are not supposed to have a problem with it.”

@GregMcP : If I saw any of what you saw regarding Kylo, I might agree, but I did not, and that’s part of the problem. It looks, from here, like the same old story of a good girl who can convince a guy who has done evil to be good again by being nice enough to him.

wobbits likes this.
  20. oncafar

Jan 10, 2017
    I don't know what role Rey will find herself in, in IX. I just know this forum has been less fair to her character than anything the writers could have done.

And yes I am not against a female Force hero saving a darksider in a franchise which began with a similar story.

I personally think Kylo has to save himself if that's going to happen, but it's beside the point when faced with what Rey isn't allowed to do.

but Rey DID see it and that perception which the movie tells us about through Rey's dialogue is ignored in favor of saying "Rey is X trope. Rey bad."

this BTW wouldn't cut Rey out of her role as Force hero, IMO.

21. Jedi Jessy

Jedi Jessy Force Ghost star 5

Feb 28, 2016
    Finn having a big moment against the man who called him "traitor" and put him in a coma is not stoling Rey's place as protagonist, a movie can make both heroes have their moments and a great arc.

And why you all are fine in say that ST is "KYLO and Rey's story" but when someone mention Finn always appears "sexism". And called Finn "other male good guy" is totally ignore that black heroes hasn't the same opportunity than a white male character (villain or hero)

Last edited: Mar 14, 2018
  22. oncafar

Jan 10, 2017
    It's not that he has a big moment, but that he is the one who actually defeats Kylo... Basically it is like he is the main protagonist. And this would be after Kylo already saved Rey from Snoke in VIII. If Finn had been the Force hero I would be all for him dealing the most with Kylo because that's the set up in these stories. Main hero vs. main villain.

It would be a story in which Rey started out strong, but just became a weak character. I realize some people think she's a weak character anyway after VIII, but I am not sure why you wouldn't then want her to end strong.

hermiona52 and Birkendoc like this.
  23. Birkendoc

Birkendoc Chosen One star 4

Sep 20, 2001
    And it's still stealing Rey's thunder to defeat the other side. That is sexist. It is saying that Rey can't do it on her own, she needs a man to finish the job for her. That isn't empowering, that is making someone else a hero because the hero of the story can't hack it. I suspect there are many women here (myself included) that have busted our humps on a project either in school or work only to have a guy take credit for our endeavors. That happens enough in real life, I don't need to see that type of co-opting of heroism in film.

As for it being Rey and Kylo's story, the Force story is their story. He is the Skywalker, and the story is told through her gaze. It doesn't need an 11th hour crowbar in the middle of the story to elevate another character's importance. Stone Soup is a great kid's story, but in actuality, too many things in the soup sometimes just makes it all not so good.

But that's not to say Finn can't be great or a hero in his own right. The Last Jedi already set up the foundation for him playing an integral role in the War part of the story. And that is where his arc appears to be headed.

Was Han Solo's role in the OT diminished because he didn't offer the killing blow to Darth Vader? Was his importance knocked down a notch because he didn't shove Palpatine down the shaft? Was his heroism any less because he didn't fire the shot that took down the two Death Stars?

I get it, people want Finn to be THE hero. They wanted him to be a Jedi, and some still hold out hope for this 11th hour revelation that he has latent Force abilities. There were people back during the gap between ESB and ROTJ, there were a lot of Han fans that were absolutely convinced that "no, there is another" with latent force abilities was going to be Han. There was the whole Church of Ford/Cathedral of Luke fan war that took place in letter zines before the age of instant trolling on the internet.

But the end of the day, it really didn't matter that Han wasn't a Force hero. He led the battle on Endor. He led with his heart. He was a hero. It didn't need any asterisks beneath his accomplishments, and he certainly didn't need to upstage Luke in Luke's story.

The thing about heroism is it should never be a competition, and I see a lot of people wanting it to be so. Rey has Force abilities, therefore Finn needs them too. Finn is so great he deserves Rey as his girlfriend as if she is some object to be claimed.

The heroes of the Star Wars saga have always had their individual roles. Some in the OT were martyrs (ObiWan) that steered Luke in the right direction and clarified his purpose. Others were teachers (Ghost OBK and Yoda.) Others were heroes in their own right in the War story (Han, Leia, Chewie and to a lesser extent Lando.)

In the ST we have the martyrs (Han and Luke) and we have the teachers (Luke and Yoda). And we have the War Heroes (Leia, Holdo, Finn, Poe, Rose.) And each has a specific role to fill without the need to one-up the other.

Not everyone has to defeat the Big Bad to be great. And with a female protagonist, she should be allowed to exhibit her greatness in her own right. It should be something does on her own during her own hero journey. If Luke had the opportunity to shine on his own in the OT as part of the Force story, why does Rey to have her accomplishments qualified by some hypermasculine guy swooping in from a different story to qualify her heroism?

24. oncafar

Jan 10, 2017
    This is how I feel about it too. Rey has a journey to go through that is HER journey. And as much as many are displeased with Rey's treatment in VIII, she's still allowed to have her journey of traveling through the dark and back to the light. No one comes in and butts her out of her story.

And I guess I feel like some of the Luke character complaints and Finn ones are similar. It's like neither is the main hero of the story. Luke isn't Mr. Bad *** who comes in and like does everything and holds Rey's hand while she faces the Force villains. And I wouldn't want Finn to be either.

Do I think Finn should have his epic or heroic moments, or that Finn vs. Phasma could (and should) have been so much better? Yes. But Rey's story didn't contribute to the failing of Finn vs. Phasma.

25. miasma

miasma Jedi Grand Master star 4

Mar 29, 2013
    Totally agree. If Finn is going to have a big heroic moment (and I think he should), then it should be something related to his journey in this saga. I'd love to see him somehow start a stormtrooper uprising against the FO. That would be an appropriate heroic moment for him. But Rey's showdown with Kylo should be her own since that's her journey.

Birkendoc likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.